Author Topic: The Spore Mouse  (Read 5819 times)

Offline SimEarth Freak

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Trichordates are now sentient
    • View Profile
The Spore Mouse
« on: August 02, 2008, 05:18:37 pm »
The ideal Spore mouse will be different from the kind of mouse that is best suited for other games.  In most other games people want a mouse with plenty of programmable buttons and the ability to switch between different DPI settings on the fly.

In Spore, all you need is a left and right button, and a scroll wheel.  But rather than use a mouse designed to help you aim and shoot, the Spore mouse needs to be designed for accuracy in the editors.  When building content in the editors it will be important to be able to put things exactly where you want them and shape things exactly how you want them.

One obstacle to achieving this is a scroll wheel.  Most scroll wheels are engineered to move in short steps.  This could be a problem in the editors.  If I want to increase the size of a limb by only a very small fraction, a scroll wheel that moves in small steps will force me to scroll a minimum distance every time.  This distance may be greater than the small degree to which i want to increase the size of the limb.

So I think the Spore mouse will need to be a mouse designed for very accurate maneuvering that has a completely frictionless scroll wheel.  What make and model of mouse do you think would be ideal for someone to buy for Spore?

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: The Spore Mouse
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 06:21:19 pm »
I would say an optical mouse. However, you really have to look for yourself and find one that feels right for you. I don't know what company or model would be good. If your store allows you to demo with the mouse, then all the better.

Of course though, the arrow key works just as well for resizing parts. It may not be as fast, but it's accurate.

Offline W8-4Spore

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 09:48:06 pm »
you talk about how mouse wheels are programmed for small steps that go a minimum amount every time it is scrolls... and you say the Spore mouse should be smooth so you can go in very small increments... However, if you weren't aware, you can change how small the increment is in your mouse settings. So you can put 1 scroll click in the mouse wheel = 1 click. They are usually defaulted to 3 clicks. Just a little heads up for you that the mouse wheel doesn't have to be frictionless to get a small increment. Any optical mouse will work fine in the Spore editors.
There will be a serious problem with school when Spore comes out...

My tag for Sporepedia is Randios, please check out my creatures and give me constructive feedback/criticism! User name is Randios187, tag is Randios. Thanks!

Offline plastik

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 01:13:05 am »
Windows lets you increase the scrolling increments in Mouse settings in the Control Panel. Also, some gaming mice have the option to increase DPI, such as this one: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3326997/Cyber-Snipa-Optical-Intelliscope-Mouse-USB/Product.html for example, which increases from 1000dpi to 2400dpi at the press of a button.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 02:23:11 am »
have logitech mx revolution and it has a total fluently scroll wheel. The limitation is spore not my mouse.

Buy a better mouse that is all you need.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline 0d1n3oo3Broad

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • SPORE ON! Walium go!
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube-Channel
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 02:29:56 am »
It would be cool if i could use my 3D-mouse. Especially in Space Stage that would be great. Steer your Spacecraft with the 3D-Mouse and aim with your normal mouse :D
~~#SPORE#~~ :D ~~#SPORE#~~ :D
~~#SPORE is ON#~~ :D :D
~~#EXCELENT#~~ :D
Visit my Profile: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mechanikus

Offline skewedjester

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • The Book of Jester holds the truth...usually.
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 04:22:36 am »
Well, the up and down arrow keys achieve the same purpose as the mouse wheel, and I believe it does it in very small steps, so you could always use them for fine tuning.

Offline Shadowgandor

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 10:36:07 am »
It would be cool if i could use my 3D-mouse. Especially in Space Stage that would be great. Steer your Spacecraft with the 3D-Mouse and aim with your normal mouse :D

3D-mouse? I'm interested :P
What is it?

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 10:55:14 am »
I think it's when the mouse has a horizontal scroll wheel too. My friend has one.

Offline 0d1n3oo3Broad

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • SPORE ON! Walium go!
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube-Channel
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 10:56:05 am »
It's a Mouse with which you can move objects etc. in a 3-dimensional space (for example the globe in GoogleEarth or for designing in 3D-CAD, which i use it primarily for), because of that it's also called Space Mouse.
This is mine: http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacenavigator.php
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:58:46 am by 0d1n3oo3Broad »

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 10:58:02 am »
Wow. That looks...

Completely different from a mouse. Looks incredibly awesome though.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 10:59:33 am »
Wow. That looks...

Completely different from a mouse. Looks incredibly awesome though.

You use it in conjunction with a mouse. 

http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacepilot.php

I use that one here at work.  It took a bit to get used to, but it's really nice for modeling because you can rotate the viewport and move objects at the same time.  It's very accurate and sensitive. 

Offline 0d1n3oo3Broad

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • SPORE ON! Walium go!
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube-Channel
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 11:08:38 am »
Yeah, it's totally cool :D And very intuitive. It took me just about 10 minutes to learn how to work with it. And it comes with a lot of drivers for a lot of software, as word or excel for example :D

@IamME
Exactly. I use it also for designing. I don't even know how i designed without it :D

I know the Spacepilot. A Boss of a company which i did some projects for uses it. But since I'm still a student i cannot afford the Spacepilot with its 300 or more Euros. But soon....just 1 more semester :D

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 08:42:41 am »
In answer to the origional poster.

1. I don't think there is a mouse that has an entirley analogue scroll wheel they all move in descrete steps.

2. The CC itself will size and move things in descrete steps anyway.

Finally I have been using the same basic optical mouse I  use for all other games with the CC and it works just fine as ever.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum