Poll

If Blizzard were to, what should they make a movie about?

Warcraft
Starcraft
Diablo

Author Topic: Blizzard  (Read 6782 times)

Twiggs

Blizzard
« on: October 13, 2005, 01:25:04 pm »
Dunno if this was mentioned on the boards before, but I was watching the opening cinematics for WoW.  And then I remembered the cinematics in Starcraft and Warcraft 3 and Diablo and such.   And I had a reoccuring thought, the thought many others probably had.

Blizzard should make a movie.

Not a movie like the norm, but what they do best.  CGI.  That would be awesome.

This was going to be an ordinary post, but I decided a poll would be spiffy. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 03:54:43 pm by Twiggs »

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Re: Idear
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 01:34:35 pm »
Blizzard's cinematics reign supreme over all other cinematics. If they were able to make a movie with them, I would choose either Diablo or Warcraft, but either way, they would have to be extremely dark movies.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 03:14:52 pm »
eurgh! When will people realise that games make sucky movies! The thing that makes games games is the gameplay- sure a story helps but if you compare the story of a game to that of a 200 page book aimed at pre-teens youll find the latter usually has more of a story. The three titles above also have no consistent main character the 'craft games because they are rts's and Diablo because you choose the character and what he becomes. Yoi could also fit the story of diablo onto the back cover of a regular book. Sorry to stamp on your ideas but I've had this opinion since I saw that crappy resident evil movie.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Twiggs

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 05:05:16 pm »
Any game to movie or comic to movie or movie to game or anything like that usually sucks, but theres always an exception.  Story?  That's why they write one. Main character?  Doesn't Starcraft:  Ghost have a main character?  Meaning they can just make one.  So they take their universe of choice, make a story, make characters.  Isn't that what a movie usually is?  Plus, I'm a CGI whore.  I love the stuff.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 05:32:00 pm by Twiggs »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 01:55:26 am »
Thats kind of the point, theres no story, they write one, there are loads of artistic compromises so it fits the game and makes a movie that will get decent box office, anyone familiar with the game who sees it then says 'Thats not what happened, he (the protagonist) just bursts into the house and kills the zombies, whats up with his wisecracking team-mate and mission to find his long estranged girl?

Twiggs

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 09:50:57 pm »
You seem to be stuck in what's already been done and not the potential new stories and such that could be created that fit perfectly well into the history and flow of either of the continuums.  Nothing should have to seem like 'That's not what happened.' because it should all be new, so it shouldn't of happened.

Offline Wahh

• Defender Devotee
  • Dubbed Sigmund Wahh as well as El Cerebro Sucio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 04:49:28 pm »
Let's make a WoW movie!  Just think how exciting that would be!  (And yes, I am being sarcastic.)

This guy's songs are freaking awesome! Just look at that earbean picture as my avatar!
www.songstowearpantsto.com

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
Re: Blizzard
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 08:45:12 am »
Aw, cawmmonnn. I'm sure something can be done. Diablo can't work, really, since it has a set storyline - but what would work is a World of Warcraft movie. Yeah, you heard me, stupid Waagh knock-off.
WoW doesn't have a storyline, but it has a rich backstory and history, and really can't be compromised artistically. In fact, you can have a lot of free space to wriggle around in.
Riot grrrrl!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 12:13:30 pm »
The biggest problem is that the end result would be one of the most cliched fantasy flicks ever, it would undoubtedly be compared to Lord of thr Rings and fall on its arse. Its like them making a Metroid movie: the creators even directly stated it was inspired by Alien so any Metroid movie would inevitably look like an inferior Alien

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 04:51:24 pm »
we'd have the same with starcraft.  if they wanted it to be serious it would seem like alien vs predator, and if they wanted it to be campy it would seem like starship troopers.  i heard somewhere (was it here?) that the original starcraft team doesn't work for blizzard anymore *coughcorporatejackassescough*, but the vignette style of the cutscenes could work.  they could do it sin city style with several loosely connected plots in the same setting. 
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 08:48:23 am »
Isn't there going to BE a Metroid movie?

I think they could make a WoW movie, but the storyline would have to be set in the past. That way you wouldn't have to wory about messing up stuff people see in the game. If you did mess something up you could just right it off as beign 300 years in teh past, or whatever.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 09:09:06 am »
Yeah, apparently John Woo was supposed to direct it but it keeps getting delayed. they also had someone really unsuitable to play Samus, I think it was Halle Berry or someone like that- yeah her hair colour varies but Samus is supposed a tall Caucasian woman. You might as well give James Bond red hair, or make him Indian.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 11:55:12 am »
Mass Carriers (= Instant Win) will be amazing to see in movie form.

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 06:36:05 pm »
I don't see how Warcraft could be cliche'd. It's gritty, and desperation is the whole theme of WCIII. You've seen their CGI, this could give birth to a wonderful crap-baby of corporate greed and merchandise! In fact, we should do it! I'm suuuure we can create something as good as, if not better than Blizzard's work. We'll be rich and famous!
Riot grrrrl!

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 07:16:54 pm »
http://hawkinglikestetris.ytmnd.com/

i'd like to hear this song in a dogfight in an asteroid field
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold