Author Topic: Spore SLI Problem?  (Read 7719 times)

Offline Skizzik

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Spore SLI Problem?
« on: August 01, 2008, 06:10:21 pm »
I haven't been running my SLI lately (I've had my TV hooked up to my computer so I could watch movies and Spore at the same time),
but recently I turned it on to see what it was like with Spore. I noticed that when I modify limbs, then go into testdrive or paint mode I
would get weird colors and textures. When I click on a new color or texture, or even the one that was already selected for the creature,
it would go back to normal. Then after I fix the glitch in the editor and save it, it would look weird in the preview mode. The .png looks fine though.

Here's what it looks like:

This is an extreme case. Sometimes it is only a hand, foot or eye that looks weird.

BTW, I turned off SLI and went into that creature and re-saved him under a different name and it saved normally.
Even with SLI turned off, the creatures that were saved with SLI on still look weird.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
Re: Spore SLI Problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 06:55:07 pm »
The fact that the creatures saved while SLI is on still look weird when SLI is off really confuses me. Does that make sense? Do you still have a corrupted creature save? I'd be interested to see if it booted up like that on another computer.

Offline Skizzik

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 07:22:30 pm »
The fact that the creatures saved while SLI is on still look weird when SLI is off really confuses me. Does that make sense? Do you still have a corrupted creature save? I'd be interested to see if it booted up like that on another computer.

It makes total sense.

Here is the creature in that screenshot. Clicky.

If anyone wants to try it out in their game and report back, that would be great. Also, if you think that I should upload the .png file from my Creatures folder,
let me know.

Offline K3rnan

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 03:08:51 am »

Looks fine in my CC.
Please check out my Spore profile or visit my YouTube channel!

Offline Skizzik

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 09:59:20 am »

Looks fine in my CC.

It looks fine in testdrive for me, too. It is just the preview screen that is messed up.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 10:39:06 am »
What is SLI?

Maybe the game just wasn't meant to work with the SLI thing and it got messed up? Good thing creatures made with the SLI off turned out fine.

Offline WeatherMAN

• Sea Battler
  • ^ He's rocking out ^
    • View Profile
    • My Spore Creations!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 10:51:47 am »
SLI is running 2 graphics cards at the same time, in order to boost gaming performance... It *SHOULDNT* cause a problem, but since it apparently does, it is something Maxis *NEEDS* to fix as the game is likely to be played by people running SLI as well as those without
Visit: My Spore Creations | My Sporepedia Profile
...Please Comment & Vote Them Up! Their may be cookies involved...
OK... so there aren't any cookies... do it because I have an undying need to get approval from people I've never me

Offline K3rnan

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 02:33:19 pm »

Looks fine in my CC.

It looks fine in testdrive for me, too. It is just the preview screen that is messed up.

Looked fine in both, I only took a pic of test drive though.
Please check out my Spore profile or visit my YouTube channel!

Offline Murali

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 06:54:13 pm »
SLI is running 2 graphics cards at the same time, in order to boost gaming performance... It *SHOULDNT* cause a problem, but since it apparently does, it is something Maxis *NEEDS* to fix as the game is likely to be played by people running SLI as well as those without

Weird... I was always under the impression that SLI was abstracted from the game and an entirely driver-related matter.

But if your noticing a glitch, it might very well be something that has to be programmer for.

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 05:27:13 am »
Interesting I wonder if the procedural texture generation runs in the shader units on the graphics card to speed things up.

In any case I suspect this will be fixed by a combination of driver changes and code fixes by Maxis. Like most SLI issues with games.

I've always considered SLI to be more expense and trouble than it's worth in terms of performance. One good high end card is my preference.

You could probably play just fine with SLI switched off anyway I doubt spore is that demanding graphicly.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline Serinen

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 09:57:06 am »
I have SLI and have only noticed one creature to be affected by this problem but I really don't care, as long as they display properly in the main game I couldn't care less.
My Sporepedia Page
The First Spore Stop Motion Animation
An analog man lost in a digital age... cue the sad music.

Offline Skizzik

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 02:26:59 pm »
Interesting I wonder if the procedural texture generation runs in the shader units on the graphics card to speed things up.

In any case I suspect this will be fixed by a combination of driver changes and code fixes by Maxis. Like most SLI issues with games.

I've always considered SLI to be more expense and trouble than it's worth in terms of performance. One good high end card is my preference.

You could probably play just fine with SLI switched off anyway I doubt spore is that demanding graphicly.

I totally agree with you on having one good high end card. I wanted to update my 8600gts, so instead of getting a better, more expensive card,
I just went with getting another less expensive 8600. I'm also not very worried about running this game on high using only one of my cards.

Offline upstrip

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 07:42:32 pm »
I have a different issue..   the game wont start with sli on and gives issue (reference the readme)   #1010   It is recommended that you update your graphics card
       drivers to avoid compatibility issues. Generally you can
       do this by going to the website of the hardware manufacturer
       for your card."
thing is .. i have the newest driver from like July 8th or something..

I have sli dual card setup with 8800gts superclocked evga's 640 mb each and I am using the new nvidia driver for XP 32 bit ver. 175.19 

the game works ok with sli disabled..  so to me it seems like a sli / nvidia driver issue at least its related to that specific card in sli mode. 

my system runs crysis on high in 1680x1050 even with vsync on at 60 fps steady so I'm pretty sure its supposed to run a game like this ok in sli mode. lol

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 05:01:49 am »

I'm with you there. In several games you get the same or even worse performance with SLI, so meh.
Also it throws me off that you can't have dual-screen with SLI o_O You have to switch it off and reboot. That just completely ruins it for me.
I usually have my 37" LCD TV connected as main monitor, and a 22" LCD as secondary so I can watch series/movies from my PC (or MSN chat/browse internet) on it while I play on the big one. That wouldn't be possible with SLI.