Author Topic: OMG DARKFALL, DARKFALL!  (Read 11065 times)

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
OMG DARKFALL, DARKFALL!
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:54:40 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bYYT6Wg3Gg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bYYT6Wg3Gg</a> <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEE4cWA8H4c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEE4cWA8H4c</a>
Please go to the website and spend the next week and a half just reading, and read the development stuff in the forums, this game is spectacular: DarkFall.

List of Confirmed DarkFall Skills
There are 500.
Alchemy
Cooking
Construction
Crafting
Farming
Fishing
Merchanting
Mining
Swimming
Woodcutting

Woot, ima get all 500 of them skills down sooner or later >=)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:57:50 am by PikMini »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: OMG DARKFALL, DARKFALL!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 06:59:24 pm »
I am curious as to whether or not it can live up to what it claims to be.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 07:03:06 pm »
It's more than a mmo kinda turned me off instantly.

still, nice to see something new.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 12:18:12 am »
So this is where the smell of 'generic' was coming from.

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 07:51:51 am »
:O Generic?  This game will let you go straight into combat, killing whoever your want, taking their stuff and wear it.  I like the realistic part of it, where you can equip anything, since in the real world, nothing is stopping you.  Generic MMO's have leveling systems.. and stats..  Darfall will be seamless, you will have to manually attack, block, dodge.  Death will mean you lose everything, all items in the game are craftable, and all items can be looted.  player killing also free to do anytime you want.

I hope the game does live up to what it claims to be too..

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 08:05:19 am »
Sounds awful.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 08:56:28 am »
No instances? I can already see a problem there.

Lvl 1 Player: "Hey fag quit killin those rats, I nees them for a quest!"
Lvl <1 Player: "pfff, stfu noob"
*lvl <1 player has initiated pvp combat*
* Level 1 player is slain*
lvl <1: "thx for lame rat leather noob. lol."
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 09:45:53 am »
yeah, this game reaked of fail as soon as i looked upon it.

i guess theres only the singleplayer left to help it, and even that doesn't seem fun, unless i heard wrong.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 09:59:48 am »
Lvl 1 Player: "Hey fag quit killin those rats, I nees them for a quest!"
Lvl <1 Player: "pfff, stfu noob"
*lvl <1 player has initiated pvp combat*
* Level 1 player is slain*
lvl <1: "thx for lame rat leather noob. lol."

Well, this would never happen, because there are no levels. But I can imagine people just standing at the noob spawn with their right-click held down killing anyone who spawns.[quote

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 10:01:37 am »
no levels?

hmm.

no, i will refrain from being interrested in this!

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 10:05:29 am »
This game will let you go straight into combat
Many games give you that.

killing whoever your want, taking their stuff and wear it
Whilst looting is normal, a lack of prerequisites to use an item is a change from the norm.

You will have to manually attack, block, dodge.
This has been done before, and its worth noting that ping differences and lag will always kill a good part of manual close-quarters combat.

Death will mean you lose everything, all items in the game are craftable, and all items can be looted.  player killing also free to do anytime you want.
Actually, no. NEARLY all items in the game are craftable.
Plus the "death means you will lose everything" in conjunction with the "you can player-kill anytime you want" wafts of ultrafail. New players who are getting accustomed to things can be ganked easily. Anybody who isnt part of a large, successful group, is fragbait. A singular dominating group, or a cooperating alliance of several, can dominate the entire world and bring the freeflow happiness of the world to a screeching halt. A benevolant overwatch group wont stay that way forever, with internet drama, and the 'bad eggs'. This is of course assuming that the dominant worldgroup will be the 'goodguys' and not just people out to play like raping warlords who mistreat the populace of everywhere they occupy. Roleplay will be reduced to constant, paranoid staring at anybody within melee striking distance. Griefers will have the time of their life in this game. Eventually the makers of the game will have to rethink their approach, and thats when the limits and reporting conditions start to creep in. Times where you're not allowed to freely kill someone in PVP. Size limits for band of well-equipped bandits, to be able to 'legally' attack smaller caravans. Or just eventual game-master screwwing with the most successful groups to make sure they can never totally dominate the world.

I hope the game does live up to what it claims to be too..
Even if it does, it will still be able to float in the ocean of 'generic'.
Think of all the games that were released in this year alone, that claimed to be groundbreaking, seamless, revolutionary, grindless, and so on. How many of those actually stood out as worth the price tag, let alone a recurring subscription charge, or a place outside of the ocean of mediocrity?

It would be nice to see it be really awesome and successful and all, but im one of those gamers that doesnt suffer from chronic, dibilitating long-term memory loss. :P
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:10:54 am by Uroboros »

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 10:09:09 am »
ok, let's say the servers start up, the first player goes in, he quickly grabs the nearest weapon from a nearby creep, then goes back to the starting postition waiting for the next person to start playing, he spawns, and the first guy kills him.

this goes on and on.

what happens when you die, do you respawn or do you actually die like in say... diablo?

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 01:09:52 pm »
i think pikimini is taking the wrong angle on this game...
i have been following this for some time and yeah...those dont sound like good features.
the game isnt really about your character but more about your guild.

its kinda like UO qua inventory and stat increasment etc. and there isnt any super mega power magic loot.

what makes this game interesting is the oblivion/mount&blade style combat...and the ability to build a city with your guild.
and with building a city its not age of conan style but actualy building what you want.
you can have your own econemy this way and you need to defend your guilds cities with npc's and the like.

you cant just build anywhere..there are specific stones you need to conquer and then you can build around those.

mounted combat is also a big part and also plays allot like mount&blade from what ive seen.

so this looks not so generic...since its on of the 1st mmo's that doesnt really focus on the grind but more about guild teamplay and economy.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 11:44:39 pm »
killing whoever your want, taking their stuff and wear it
Whilst looting is normal, a lack of prerequisites to use an item is a change from the norm.

While I agree with everything else you've said, I cant really let this one go. Prerequisites are the lamest thing ever.

The reason most games like this don't succeed is that they expect roleplaying to exist in a vaccuum. If they wanted it to work better, they would introduce mechanics that meant the simple act of playing the game means you are roleplaying. I doubt they understand how to make that happen, by simple virtue of the fact that I am not on their dev team. :D

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 03:20:27 am »
The reason most games like this don't succeed is that they expect roleplaying to exist in a vaccuum. If they wanted it to work better, they would introduce mechanics that meant the simple act of playing the game means you are roleplaying. I doubt they understand how to make that happen, by simple virtue of the fact that I am not on their dev team. :D

Alright, put 'em up and explain in detail how you could make an MMORPG where the average HOW I MINE FOR FISH player would roleplay.

I say it can't be done.
Not a winner anymore.