SporeScope is a Firefox extension aimed to improve the Sporepedia and Spore Profile websites. It does this by extracting and displaying extra information from the website and providing new functionality.
- Extra information in Creation Panels
- Extra information in the Sporecast Panels
- Report Creation confirmation dialog
- Random Creation navigation button
- Random Sporecast navigation button
- Comment length limit counter
- Configurable: You can toggle the display of the various additions.
- Tag Navigator: See and navigate using the tags of the creations displayed in main window.
Please note: I am aware there are some inaccuracies in the statistics displayed. The statistics come from the Sporepedia itself so there is not much I can do about it.
SporeScope comes in two forms:
- A standalone Firefox Plugin.
- A GreaseMonkey script. GreaseMonkey is a Firefox plugin that provides a framework for website-modifying scripts,
Download links:Standalone Firefox PluginSporescope GreaseMonkey ScriptGreaseMonkey Plugin
- Fixed to work with latest version of Sporepedia
- Fixed a bug with the Random Creation button that was preventing it from working
- Ensured compatibility with Firefox 3.1 beta 2.
- Updated for compatibility with new version of Sporepedia website
- Tag navigator when viewing Sporecasts now searches on Sporecasts
- Fixed an issue with the optional display of cuteness/meanness that prevented the creation panel from being displayed for creatures.
- Added a Random Sporecast button
- Added display of the raw rating and number of subscribers to the Sporecast panel
- Added an icon to the Random navigation buttons.
- Removed the now-redundant extra remove creation prompt (Sporepedia now has one built in).
- Fixed a couple of minor issues.
- Fixed the issue with stats not being injected when browsing directly to a creation.
- Changed the random button so that it doesn't wipe the items in the creation browser.
- Updated to be compatible with the new version of Sporepedia
- Removed redundant elements (i.e. Featured Creations button)
- Changed the tag navigator to do a tag based search, rather than a general search
- Fixed some labels
- Removed Parent/Child display, as the Sporepedia no long has the necessary functionality
- Updated Comment length limit.
- Changed a few labels to conform with official names from Spore.
- Enabled Attack, Social and Ability statistics by default, as they match ingame statistics.
- Fixed a bug with the Always Show All Statistics option.
- Tweaked the display of ratings of exactly -1 as 0, which should show unrated creatures as having 0 votes. The display is now less likely to confuse unrated creatures with downrated creatures.
v0.9 - A bit of polish
- Added an icon to the Featured Creations button (anyone want to make a dice icon for the random creation button?)
- Hid detailed statistics until a button is clicked
- Hid cuteness/meanness values by default
- Added options to show cuteness/meanness, show abilities and to show detailed statistics without the button click to the addon's option menu.
- Fixed a bug causing sneak to show the sprint value instead.
- Changed the tag navigator to be paged if there are a lot of tags. This means that it will display the first bunch and you can move through the list with the <<< and >>> links.
- Added a configuration option to display "Experimental" statistics. These are the statistics I consider too unreliable to display normally, so use at your own risk.
- Cleaned up the display of stats. The statistics are now nicely lined up.
- Added a Tag Navigator to the right-hand bar. This displays the tags of all the creations in the main window, and when you click on one it will search by that tag. Unfortunately this isn't a tag based search - it will also find creations whose name and/or author contains the tag. It can be toggled off in the configuration options.
- Added a Options menu (accessible form the Add-Ons menu) to allow the display of certain statistics to be disabled.
- Added a confirmation prompt to the Remove Creation link.
- Added in a length counter for the Add Comment window. This shows how many characters you have left before your comment gets cut off.
- Added a direct link url into the creation panel, which can be copied and pasted elsewhere. The url will always work, as opposed to the url in the browser address bar which may or may not (I notice a lot of people post links with pg-xx in them, which will only work until enough new creatures are added to push the target creature off the page).
- Put the Relationship information in a section so you can tell whether it has loaded or not.
- Added diet information back in, although it will still be incorrect for older carnivores.
- Optimised several features. The Random Creation button is twice as fast as before, and navigation through the family tree is instantaneous.
- Added a Featured Creations button.
- Added creation family information:
When a creature is created by editing an existing creature, the new creature is considered a "child" of the starting creature. This update causes the parent and children creatures to be displayed under the comments section of the creation detail pane. The related creations can then be navigated to by clicking on their thumbnails.
Please note that this extra information takes a little while to load after the rest of the information.
- Modified the plugin to be more secure and maintainable, bringing it in line with the GreaseMonkey script version. From now on I will be maintaining both the standalone Firefox extension and GreaseMonkey script version.
- Firefox plugin's Random Creation button now works under Firefox 2.
- Fixed some minor display issues with the Random Creation button.
- Converted the plugin to a Greasemonkey script. This should also fix the Random Creation button not working under Firefox 2.*.
- Fixed a small issue with the Random Creation button.
- Added a "Random Creation" option to Sporepedia, which will select a random creation out of Sporepedia and display it.
- Had a poke around the profile page. Changed the Most Popular Creation thumbnail and the comments thumbnails so that clicking on them will open them in Sporepedia.
- The type of the asset is now shown in the statistics.
- Added support for building, vehicle and ufo assets. User rating and creation date are shown, as well as building and vehicular function.
- Added display of the "Stage" from which a creature is from (creature/tribal/civ or space).
- Added a confirmation prompt when hitting the Report Creation link, to help prevent accidental reports.
- Fixed a situation in which directly navigating to a creature would cause the plugin to fail to display/update the extra statistics.
- Cleaned up the display of a number of statistics (numbers are rounded to 2 decimals, and the creation time is shorter).
- Added a couple more statistics.
- Fixed the issue with the plugin failing to work if you changed to another tab while Sporepedia was loading.
- Changed plugin so it works no matter how you reach the creature detail pane. It no longer requires a thumbnail to be clicked on.
- The plugin also updates the extra details when the creature is updated (i.e. after voting)
- Removed diet until Sporepedia is fixed, added in a couple of other bits of information.
I've put together a small Firefox extension that will add some extra information into the creature information panels on Sporepedia. It is fairly basic at the moment with just a small amount of extra information displayed, and there are probably some bugs (for one, it only adds the information if you click on a thumbnail to open it, not if you browse directly to the creature). But I thought some people might be interested.
Sample Enhanced Creature Profile: