Author Topic: Trusted Computing?  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
Re: Trusted Computing?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 11:19:13 pm »
As if Windows doesn't already have the means to track you...

...Bottom line.  It's already been done.  It's just now becoming acceptable enough to drop it into Windows and give it a pretty acronym.  It's probably more for stopping piracy than anything else.  Not only can it tell you how many times you played Spore in a month, but it can read the registry and send your key to EA.

The computer world has never been private.  Make no mistake.  Since you plugged in an ethernet cable or configured a wireless card, you can and will be tracked...

...I'm more worried about the baseline ability to block installations or protecting an exe with the software.  If we though DRM was bad, this might be a whole new ballgame.

...That said, it is a blatant violation or our rights as computer users and citizens of the US (and other countries)... but if you're on the straight and narrow, does it really matter? ...

Tracking isn't the point. Knowing what your doing isn't the point. Privacy, although important, isn't the main concern here.

Competition is. Microsoft, Intel, HP and friends (i.e. anyone in the Totalitarian Computing Group and anyone who strikes deals with them) can decide what you can install and use. Say you wanted to install Firefox on Windows 7. Mozilla would have to pay 600 USD or so a year to certify that they are 'trustworthy'.

Microsoft, however, could still ban it from Windows computers because they could claim that is not trustworthy, but really they just want to lock people into using IE to either reverse or stall IE's downward spiral.

Not only does this strategy ruin small open-source developers (what average Joe can afford the licensing fees just to write a media player?), it locks users into products made by Microsoft and its partners.

That is the main point.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 11:21:05 pm by Arachoid »
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 10:20:30 am »
I completely agree with you, but we all know that's inevitable if you're going to choose an MS operating system.  Then again, they have like 90 percent of the home PC market share.  I don't think it'll be much of an option.  Luckily, for now, MS shot themselves in the foot by poorly programming their earlier operating systems.  Run-the-business applications that won't run on MS's new Trusted Computing platform will have to run in a more traditional environment.  My guess is that for the meantime, it'll be an optional or on-demand thing that can be turned on or off for compatibility.

However, ten years from now, it'll be a whole new ball game.  As soon as MS drops support for a given OS, businesses and home PCs inevitable upgrade.  Then Windows 7 becomes the minimum requirement for all new software, then's when we have to start worrying about that stuff.

Then again, no one really denies the pure fact that the internet is the Devil's playground where no one obeys any laws put forth to protect digital distributors' property.  There are no real internet police and we're left to rely on our own ethics to guide us through a world of moral gray areas.  I know I'm going back off on my tangent, sorry.

MS has been headed for complete PC domination for a long time now and there never was any stopping them.  They will do what they want, when they want to.  Because you hit "I agree" to every license agreement you've ever seen, you gave up ALL rights to privacy and control in exchange for the honor of playing a game or using an Operating System.

So on a philosophical platform, it's completely unfair, totalitarian, and underhanded.  But the kids want to play Halo and the businesses must conduct business.    They have us where they want us... at their mercy.  Just like the fact the we have to buy 4 dollar gas... we can complain about it until we're blue in the face, but we can't do a damn thing about it.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 10:34:13 am »
I want to see that movie. It sounds so epic.

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 12:58:52 pm »
So on a philosophical platform, it's completely unfair, totalitarian, and underhanded.  But the kids want to play Halo and the businesses must conduct business.    They have us where they want us... at their mercy.  Just like the fact the we have to buy 4 dollar gas... we can complain about it until we're blue in the face, but we can't do a damn thing about it.

Alone, no. But look at how much heat Microsoft took over Vista, and that was just hardware incompatibility and poor performance; when people start figuring out that Billy G.'s flunkies get to decide what they can and cannot do, they'll get angry. And when people get angry, they complain. And when people complain on a large enough scale, the media notices. And when this gets broadcast, the government will notice (if they haven't already) and do one of two things:

1) Shut them down, as it obviously violates the Constitution.
Or, 2) Help them wholeheartedly. I'm sure the government would love it if citizens couldn't criticize them.

Either way, we're in for a bit of a rough patch. The only thing we can do now is burn some Ubuntu CDs and hope those hold out.
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 07:10:20 pm »
ONLY Microsoft can shrug off 5 yeasr of development and not fold.  They just threw Vista in the trash and hired all of Pakistan to write Windows 7.

And guess what most of the tax-paying businesses run on in America... Winders :)

Of course the gov't will stop certain things, but MS will not be shut down until a clear competitor emerges and simply takes over (pop quiz... there were three major microprocessor developers for a bit back in the early 2000's... who was the one that lost?)

I would love to see MS go down in flames for their stupidity at times but the bottom line is that is mommy can xfer digital pictures of the babies and send them to all of the rest of her friends who don't care and daddy can pull up ESPN every morning while drinking his coffee and the kids can play Halo all day long on their networked PCs, then whatever OS it comes on will win.

If the brilliant minds who write Linux can make a computer EASIER and CHEAPER to use than Microsoft, then MS will burn.  But until MS gets their hands out of the pockets of every major software and hardware manufacturer in the industry, it won't happen.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 09:34:33 pm »
ONLY Microsoft can shrug off 5 yeasr of development and not fold.  They just threw Vista in the trash and hired all of Pakistan to write Windows 7.

And guess what most of the tax-paying businesses run on in America... Winders :)

Of course the gov't will stop certain things, but MS will not be shut down until a clear competitor emerges and simply takes over

(pop quiz... there were three major microprocessor developers for a bit back in the early 2000's... who was the one that lost?)

If the brilliant minds who write Linux can make a computer EASIER and CHEAPER to use than Microsoft, then MS will burn.  But until MS gets their hands out of the pockets of every major software and hardware manufacturer in the industry, it won't happen.

Pop Quiz: Well, I was in first grade then, but I'm gonna go and guess VIA. Intel and AMD are still majors (not so much AMD anymore), but VIA only gets into the cheap stuff. That or AppaMotorIBM or whoever made the PowerPC rchitecture. Rather foolish to not just go along with standard x86, though.

Yeah. I think that soon Linux will be able to really move into the home computer niche. They aren't quite there yet, but close. Hardware incompatibility, lack of standardization, and the constant Terminal use have got to go before Linux can take over.

And Linux is already cheaper; it's about 300 USD cheaper than Vista Ultimate.  :D

I'm predicting that after Linux gets its kinks worked out and Microsoft shoots themselves in the foot again, word will spread (case in point: iPod) and people will go crazy for Linux. All it needs is a little pushing from the industry after that and things could change very fast.

At the same time, however, I doubt there will be a Microsoft toppling shift in market share until around the time the Digital Generation replaces today's working generation in around 20 to 30 years. Old people can't keep up with tech and don't like it when it changes, so a major OS shift will have to wait until they die off.
I say NO! to all limits.