Author Topic: Ramblings and challenges.  (Read 6651 times)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
Ramblings and challenges.
« on: July 20, 2008, 09:54:41 pm »
Its late here. 5:30am late, and I havent slept. I was going to arrange my thoughts more tidily and somehow make them all relevent to one another, given I started a new thread, but fuggit. Have some Spore-related thingies :

First and foremost, I stumbled on a trick in the Creature Creator tonight. You know how you resize limbs by scrolling the mousewheel on the joints of a limb? The hip, knee and ankle in a standard leg, for example? Maybe im just waaay behind, but I found you could actually resize the musculature between the joints by scrolling the mousewheel on the limb sections themselves (the shin section, for example). Its slow, but for limbs with more muscular definition, you can shrink and emphesise the bulging, which is great if you're making particularly strong, athletic, or weak looking creatures.

Secondly, for the love of god, DONT post comments on a creature if its primary purpose is to advertise your own creatures. You know how in youtube you'll get people who comment like "Meh. Come watch my videos"? Some people keep trying to pass "Not bad. Check out my creature index" comments recently, and its annoying as hell. Some people will look at your creature index out of curiosity, or out of courteousy for having commented on theirs. Grabbing for praise is annoying. My suggestion is to keep a hammer or screwdriver near your keyboard, and if you ever find yourself ending a generic comment with "look at my creatures" or "please vote my creatures", you need to maim yourself. Its a pain for a better good!

Thirdlillerly, the test drive is a great part of the creature creator. Using it is awesome too. It makes people like you. Phasing is pretty much unavoidable in some creatures, but if half of your creature ends up beneith the floor in nearly every animation, or if your creatures surface texture is reduced to a mile-long stretch of stringy smudges between two limbs and the body? Then the creature could probably use some tiny tweaks. Just a thought...

Fourthly, and less cantankerously, since our recent talking on creature stealing, I figured it might be nice to set a good example. If you have a friend somewhere in the sporepedia, or just another user who you exchange comments with regularly, think about taking a copy of their creature and making a kind of offshot breed, and crediting them for their original work. Someone has a "Mighty Grundol"? Make a "Lesser Grundol" scavenger version. Someone has a "Mountain Blingo"? Make a "Swamp Blingo". Spread the delicious creature lovings, and mark the end of your description with "(based on a User1924's Sharkleech)" homage things. Even those who just dont pay attention to what they're doing should catch on eventually, but we've got two million creatures to catch up with. So get to it! Grab a friend and pay tribute! :3

That was inspired by a creature exchange that me and Luminar did recently. We occasionally throw 'challenges' at each other, in the shape of music, or words, or random names, and the other has to come up with a creature that feels like it matches the challenge material. Or make an 'evil' or 'cute' version of a creature that the other person made, just things like that to break through a lack of inspiration. Gets some interesting results sometimes.

What is there to discuss here, other than telling my nearly-6am self to stop being so grumblesome? I dunno, feel free to use this thread to throw down some challenge material, or link to tribute/offshoot creatures. I hope that limb-tip thing isnt something that people have been using since day 1. Eesh. Anyway, why am I still awake? Oh thats right, the 'post' button...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:56:41 pm by Uroboros »

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
Re: Ramblings and challenges.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 10:23:15 pm »
First and foremost, I stumbled on a trick in the Creature Creator tonight. You know how you resize limbs by scrolling the mousewheel on the joints of a limb? The hip, knee and ankle in a standard leg, for example? Maybe im just waaay behind, but I found you could actually resize the musculature between the joints by scrolling the mousewheel on the limb sections themselves (the shin section, for example). Its slow, but for limbs with more muscular definition, you can shrink and emphesise the bulging, which is great if you're making particularly strong, athletic, or weak looking creatures.

I found that out a couple of days ago. ;D I was so proud of myself for finding something out. Then I thought that everybody must know about since I just found it out. D:

Secondly, for the love of god, DONT post comments on a creature if its primary purpose is to advertise your own creatures. You know how in youtube you'll get people who comment like "Meh. Come watch my videos"? Some people keep trying to pass "Not bad. Check out my creature index" comments recently, and its annoying as hell. Some people will look at your creature index out of curiosity, or out of courteousy for having commented on theirs. Grabbing for praise is annoying. My suggestion is to keep a hammer or screwdriver near your keyboard, and if you ever find yourself ending a generic comment with "look at my creatures" or "please vote my creatures", you need to maim yourself. Its a pain for a better good!

UGH. I know. My creatures don't get very many comments, so I was very excited to see that somebody finally commented on one of them! But, to my demise, the message was "Another great one! Come check out my Dining Room Set creature and tell me what you think!" or something like that. Obviously copy & pasted because they didn't comment on any other ones. So sad, getting my hopes up.

Thirdlillerly, the test drive is a great part of the creature creator. Using it is awesome too. It makes people like you. Phasing is pretty much unavoidable in some creatures, but if half of your creature ends up beneith the floor in nearly every animation, or if your creatures surface texture is reduced to a mile-long stretch of stringy smudges between two limbs and the body? Then the creature could probably use some tiny tweaks. Just a thought...

Yeah, I've resisted uploading maybe a fourth of my creatures just because the fins disconnect while moving or it's body goes underground while running, or it's arms go through it's head while punching...

Fourthly, and less cantankerously, since our recent talking on creature stealing, I figured it might be nice to set a good example. If you have a friend somewhere in the sporepedia, or just another user who you exchange comments with regularly, think about taking a copy of their creature and making a kind of offshot breed, and crediting them for their original work. Someone has a "Mighty Grundol"? Make a "Lesser Grundol" scavenger version. Someone has a "Mountain Blingo"? Make a "Swamp Blingo". Spread the delicious creature lovings, and mark the end of your description with "(based on a User1924's Sharkleech)" homage things. Even those who just dont pay attention to what they're doing should catch on eventually, but we've got two million creatures to catch up with. So get to it! Grab a friend and pay tribute! :3

I totally support this. Just as long as there is credit so people can see the original. Then again, it could make seeing a creature over and over on different planets strange, or it could make your own planet more diverse in the actual game. I don't know. :P

So yeah, nice rant.

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 11:24:22 pm »
@2: never seen anyone from gamingsteve do that. I hate when people do that on sites like DeviantART. I've only had a couple people do that to me, and I didn't approve the comment. My creatures are not billboards. I barely get views myself :P Have yet to do anything stupid like copy-paste comments myself, that's just stupid.

@3: Ugh sometimes it's annoying you can't tell that happens until test mode, then you have to swap back and forth to fix it. My plant creature did all kinds of bizarre things (it has a foot!) with its "roots" because I couldn't tell I was putting them on the semi-hidden leg & foot. They'd move like crazy streamers everywhere when he walked! And teleport off! :( Finally fixed it though. I tend no not like creatures that do that, but I don't always open them up to see when I rate them.

I think later when you can make sporecasts (not just tags), there needs to be a "bad aninmation, cool creature" catagory ;)

@4: I've made variations of people's things on my computer (Oh god I've made like, 3 different weird naucean like creatures, don't tell hyrdo! ;) ) but I haven't uploaded anything I didn't make from scratch (I also have about 2-10 copies of some creatures in various different color pattern). I just have guilt over uploading it, even if what I originally made it from isn't apparent in a side by side match up. Guess I'm the polar opposite of those people who straight rip them off :P

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 12:18:25 am »

Yes please, make sure your creature can walk properly before uploading it... many times a cool creature I get animates terribly, with clipping or jerkiness, and I have to edit it myself to fix it (losing the author's name and comment links). I hate having to do that, because I know I will forget who made it eventually. Most of the time all I have to do it move a joint a centimeter one way or another... I mean, that couldnt've been hard for the original owner to have done.
"Ooh rabba la dee teeb, ooh babba labba squeeb!"

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 12:58:11 am »
The muscle thing is really old, I'm pretty sure I was the first to mention it on this forum  :D
It's nice of you to post it though, since there's nothing abovious about it anywhere, not even in the docummentation it is mentioned.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Hyfrydle

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 03:21:44 am »
I disagree with your second statement early on when the number of creatures in the Sporepedia was more manageable it was fairly easy to get your creatures commented but as it's grown the chance of getting comments has dropped. In a perfect world when someone comments on one of your creatures returning the favour seems appropriate but not everyone is polite enough to do this.

Therefore the only way is to politely ask if they don't mind checking out your creations it's then up to them if they do or don't. The fact that you don't like it is your choice but if people don't comment in return then what other options are there?

Don't forget comments can also be negative but hopefully constructive.

I'm getting fed up of seeing all the same creatures been highly rated just because they are getting more exposure. We have alot of creative talent that doesn't get a look in.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 03:25:28 am by Hyfrydle »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 03:38:06 am »

Yes please, make sure your creature can walk properly before uploading it... many times a cool creature I get animates terribly, with clipping or jerkiness, and I have to edit it myself to fix it (losing the author's name and comment links). I hate having to do that, because I know I will forget who made it eventually. Most of the time all I have to do it move a joint a centimeter one way or another... I mean, that couldnt've been hard for the original owner to have done.

yea, I generally make my creatures walk pretty well. There is always the strange glitch that can't seem to be fixed. Like for example my Cygnoan Ice Strider, for some reason the 'head' area where I placed the eyes moves strangely when it walks and runs, but works fine otherwise. If someone knows the fix or can fix it, let me know because I want to get rid of it without changing the appearance too much.

Offline Hyfrydle

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 03:45:19 am »

yea, I generally make my creatures walk pretty well. There is always the strange glitch that can't seem to be fixed. Like for example my Cygnoan Ice Strider, for some reason the 'head' area where I placed the eyes moves strangely when it walks and runs, but works fine otherwise. If someone knows the fix or can fix it, let me know because I want to get rid of it without changing the appearance too much.

The only way I have found to solve this problem is to thicken or slightly shorten the spine it seems to happen when the section is too long or thin. I will have a look at your design later and see if I can help if that's ok.

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 03:55:50 am »

Moving the joint connecting the front legs to the body up and forwards a bit seems to fix it, or at least smooth the head turn out.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 05:10:42 am »
The muscle thing is really old, I'm pretty sure I was the first to mention it on this forum  :D
It's nice of you to post it though, since there's nothing abovious about it anywhere, not even in the docummentation it is mentioned.

Yeah it was even explained in one of the tutorial videos in think.

@ #2 I have done that to like creatures. For instance I made a coelacanth and look up all others to comment on them then told them to look at my verison. But I only do it is its a creature that someone else was bound to make too.

@4: I've made variations of people's things on my computer (Oh god I've made like, 3 different weird naucean like creatures, don't tell hyrdo! ;) ) but I haven't uploaded anything I didn't make from scratch (I also have about 2-10 copies of some creatures in various different color pattern). I just have guilt over uploading it, even if what I originally made it from isn't apparent in a side by side match up. Guess I'm the polar opposite of those people who straight rip them off :P

What!! PM me them I want to see!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:16:08 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 05:34:09 am »
Yeah I got a few of those. "Nice. Hey Im from korea! Come check out my creations!"

Who the hell cares if hes from Korea.

Offline sporeticus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Who shall I sting next?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 05:53:32 am »
I've had "Hi, I'm Sam, a/s/l?" commented on one of my creatures. I didn't approve it of course, but, I mean, why would anyone do that?!
There's some odd/annoying people around!

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 06:25:59 am »
I haven't had any of those comments but I have made variations of other peoples creatures. Mostly Ovi's creatures. We've done the word challenge thing few times, it helps me be more creative, though he stays creative all the time and doesn't need that as much as I do. :P

Offline Hyfrydle

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 06:38:42 am »
What's the word challenge thing?

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 07:14:35 am »
That was inspired by a creature exchange that me and Luminar did recently. We occasionally throw 'challenges' at each other, in the shape of music, or words, or random names, and the other has to come up with a creature that feels like it matches the challenge material. Or make an 'evil' or 'cute' version of a creature that the other person made, just things like that to break through a lack of inspiration. Gets some interesting results sometimes.

Like that, you exchange words or do a theme and see what the other person came up with.