Which difficulty will you play ?

Easy
15 (11.8%)
Normal
59 (46.5%)
Hard
53 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Author Topic: Which difficulty will YOU play ?  (Read 9851 times)

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
Re: Which difficulty will YOU play ?
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »
I'm going to do a "dummy" creature first on normal to learn the game, then I'll start doing all the creatures I want to do on hard after I know some of the tricks. Unless normal is actually easy, and easy is "you can't fail" then I'll probably be on hard.

Guess I'll have to see.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2008, 02:43:21 pm »
Even if you play on hard, looks like there are a good deal of fallbacks in case you die, which means death in spore is never truly game over.

That manual is going to have enough information that you would have a good start. IF you read the manual that is.

Easy mode can still be useful if you want to see how a creation of yours acts/works without too much danger.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2008, 02:48:10 pm »
They said in a video once if you die you go back to the last evolution. Or something like that. I would actually use medium, on second thought, go through once, then do hard

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 02:54:45 pm »
Like I said it's a fallback. It doesn't mean that it is not a harsh fallback. It just means that if you die, it's not game over. Although if you die multiple times in a row without evolving forward, then you are either doing something wrong or there is a huge problem with your creature.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2008, 03:48:54 pm »
Normal, and if it's too easy, hard.

Yeah I think i will do that too. However if i want a sandbox style of play I will go back to easy to perhaps shape the region of the galaxy how i want it to look and then go in and play in those regions on harder modes.

Offline Skraeling

• Akalabeth Addict
  • My what big teeth I have.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2008, 04:28:37 pm »
hard mode all the way baby!

No, really.  I am a card carrying scientist.

Offline Prok

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2008, 06:49:38 pm »
For me it depends.  I'd actually like to know more about the difficulty system, and whether or not harder difficulty means smarter A.I.  Some games provide a greater challenge simply by allowing the A.I. access to abilities, extra resources, etc, (in other words, cheats) unavailable to the player.

Hopefully the harder settings will be more complex than this; I'd like to play against the smartest enemy possible.

Offline SkyShadowing

• Fire Truck Driver
  • The Fearsome Shadowling... dancing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2008, 07:57:44 pm »
Start on Normal, then bump up to Hard for my second... or third play-through.

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2008, 07:59:34 pm »
I will play on Hard setting. But Soren Johnson was saying that..If you play Creature for ten hours, you'll be playing five different things, and each time through, you can change the settings to be whatever you want them to be.
Also I must say that I am only interested in playing all the phases in the correct order. I know it will be difficult to resist the urge to "have a peek" at the space stage first but I think playing the full game from a tiny cell will give me a better experience with the awe of discovery.
I played a lot of different games in the past. Some would say too many. I found out that even for games that i really enjoyed for a long time, the experience was totally ruined the day i obtain the cheat codes from a website and sarted using them.
You know the type.. You are really struggling through a level.. No cash left to buy the basic tool you really need... Then you use the cheat code to get extra cash.
At this point the game is not the same. Too easy. And you start loosing interest fast. A couple of days later you find yourself looking for the next "Good Game"

The same thing probably happens when you are having a good time playing and suddently you realise that the AI is cheating to keep challenging you or even worse.. the AI just can't keep up with your actions.
Disappointment is soon followed by boredom and that game also ends up in the eBay bargain box.

Talking about game AI...

"Despite being a powerful warrior who had just slain three ogres single-handedly, I could not raise my in-game foot 18 virtual inches to pass over this small log. So I walked around it and we continued on. But that experience stuck with me."
see: Roger Chandler looks at why trudging through the Uncanny Valley to create realistic interactions with virtual creatures may lead to upsides in AI, special effects, physics, and more.

Offline azareon

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2008, 01:19:04 am »
I will probably play on Normal most of the time.  I doubt I will ever play on Hard, because I really don't like being frustrated by repeated beatdowns.  I'm tempted to start out on Easy so I can just jump into Spore from the beginning and focus on storytelling, but if it's boring it could dull the experience.  Hmmmm... I guess I won't know what my choice is until I start my first game.

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • EA = Electronic A*seholes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2008, 02:58:52 am »

Snap
dd/mm/yy

Remember, the Spore will be with you....one day

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Plusi - My SPOREPEDIA Page

Offline skewedjester

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • The Book of Jester holds the truth...usually.
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2008, 03:39:48 am »
Well, I'll certainly try Hard at some point, but I don't know if I'll make it a point to play every game at that level. My gaming skills are average, at best. Most likely, Normal will be my main choice, but if I want to make machinima or other stories with my creatures, then I'll nudge it down to Easy.

Speaking of which, this game needs some kind of Director Mode for the storytellers out there, in which the player truly becomes a god and controls EVERYTHING, even the opposing creatures and weather and such.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2008, 06:27:10 am »
I'll probably start on easy and then normal and then hard.

Offline WeatherMAN

• Sea Battler
  • ^ He's rocking out ^
    • View Profile
    • My Spore Creations!
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2008, 07:53:21 am »
Start on Normal, move to hard assuming I muster through normal on 2nd go round... in fact if normal is too easy right away, bump it up to hard on the first time

Ninja edit to avoid 'Norman' embarrassment ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:57:44 am by WeatherMAN »
Visit: My Spore Creations | My Sporepedia Profile
...Please Comment & Vote Them Up! Their may be cookies involved...
OK... so there aren't any cookies... do it because I have an undying need to get approval from people I've never me

Offline Rct2mad

• Ultima Lord
  • =)
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Galore (Link may not work)
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2008, 07:54:04 am »

Snap
Crackle.

Btw at WeatherMAN ... start on Norman eh? Just makes your entire post sound extremely wrong ...  8)