Author Topic: 'African Rabies' - Real Life Zombie RP  (Read 41324 times)

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
'African Rabies' - Real Life Zombie RP
« on: July 18, 2008, 01:44:21 am »

"Charity workers have reported the outbreak of a new disease, which is imagined to be a strain of AIDS, in the war-torn nation of Sudan. Currently, as with AIDs, there is no cure for the disease, and no living sample has been recovered for testing, so there is no information on whether the disease is caused by a virus or bacteria and no work has begun on a Vaccination or cure. The disease, which is being colloquially known as 'African Rabies' due to the apparent similar symptoms by aid workers, has been reported in the Jungali, Warab and Kassala regions. The disease is known to spread at a very fast rate, and many Charity and Aid workers have evacuated the Sudan, and refused to talk to our reporters.

Spokesmen from the World Health Organisation have expressed concern over containing the disease, as Sudan is currently in a state of Civil War and is ruled by local warlords. This makes proper quarantine procedures impossible as it would require co-operation between several insurgent forces and the current Government of Sudan.  The disease, which currently has no cure or vaccine is considered a large threat to global health, as if it spreads into neighbouring Arab nations a global epidemic may be unavoidable in the booming Middle Eastern tourist industry and business community. Saudi Government officials have dismissed the claims as 'an overstatement' and claim Egypt will be able to protect itself from the disease.

Sudan's recent involvement in the Darfur Genocide has made them unpopular on the international stage, and discussions are on- going between Gordon Brown and other EU leaders regarding an appropriate international response. "

Affected by this story? Have your say on our Comment page!

Here we go, more sensationalist crap from the media.

Hey guys, remember when we all died of Bird Flu? Yeah, me neither.

Although, joking aside, it's not as though Sudan doesn't have enough troubles (all those Teddy Bears to execute and whatnot) alongside this. I think the UN should intervene simply to contain the disease, and if possible, vaccinate against and cure it. Or, broker some form of deal wherein Sudan ceases to commit obvious genocide in return for not all dying of 'African Rabies'.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 01:31:20 pm by Mr. Consideration »

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
Re: 'African Rabies' - Real Life Zombe RP
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 03:15:06 am »
SARs, Bird flu, the mad cow disease, yeah. Shouldn't this have been posted in the "News for your blues" thread?
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 03:19:01 am »
Indeed, this article sounds like it's total crap. I mean what kind of name is 'Afrian Rabies' anyway? It sounds like something a six year old would come up with. I bet that this is all just a ploy for those damn Africans to give them more money. As if two world rock concerts and 50 billion in aid wasn't enough!
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 03:32:34 am »
::)

Overreacting much?

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 05:16:23 am »
Indeed, this article sounds like it's total crap. I mean what kind of name is 'Afrian Rabies' anyway? It sounds like something a six year old would come up with. I bet that this is all just a ploy for those damn Africans to give them more money. As if two world rock concerts and 50 billion in aid wasn't enough!

That is idiotic. The aid given to Africa evidently isn't enough, as they're still the worst-off people in the world. Leaving them to rot because we stole all their resources a hundred years ago isn't a good way to manage the situation, in my opinion, and nor is enslaving them to work in sweatshops. African Poverty is entirely the fault of the Western World.

Sudan's economy is growing, actually.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 05:48:41 am »
Heard on the radio that the disease has spread into Egypt and Chad, It's getting closer!  :P

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 06:05:45 am »
If this reaches England, or even Europe, I will eat my own arse. It's a third world country, new diseases pop up all the time, the UN will pop in and save the day. I really don't see how this deserves it's own thread.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 06:13:41 am »
I dunno, what about when Anthrax was used by terrorists?

Well, admittedly, the UN wasn't very good when it came to Iraq and Afghanistan so depending solely upon them is not a pretty good thing to do. :-/ We need "active" participation of nations if they're planning to isolate this thing effectively. Especially now that its reached Egypt, a prime tourist location.

Man, I heard someone jumped out of the window from a very high floor in one of the local hospitals here due to rabies. The ussual kind. :(

No, seriously. I am not making that up. Rabies can drive you utterly insane in a matter of days, or if you're bit in the leg, years or decades. You just never know until the symptoms show up, and then you die a slow and horrible death.

Not a good way to die. :(

Offline Wonderful Lizard of Oz

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
    • Hall of Rejected Universes
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 07:36:03 am »
Strain of AIDS?  Oh my, we'll have to use condoms.  What a frightful disease.  :P
"And your little lizard too!"
-The Wicked Witch of the West

Error 658:There are lizards in your computer.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:37:04 am »
The last time I was worried about this sort of thing, it included a chart with concentric circles of redness that stretched over my residence from an epicenter somewhere in Eurasia. Considering that happened to be the woeful Bird Flu, I'm going to need to see cases somewhere near me before I really care.  Until then, this thread is marked "General Epidemic Thread #457."

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 09:39:11 am »
And besides, what idiot would name an AIDS strain "African Rabies"?  I bet this is just AIDS by a doctor who hasn't seen AIDS before, with a new name.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 09:40:51 am »
I remember a guy coming into our school 3 years ago telling us what to do when Bird Flu reaches our neighbourhood. Yeah....
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 09:43:08 am »
I think what we have here is the next black plague.  And by that, I mean we'll be fine if keep the rats out of our beds and see doctors that don't use blood letting.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 09:53:12 am »
This idiot doctor told me to avoid people from Africa.  So now we're using this disease as a cover for racism.  Shoot me now.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 11:22:30 am »
It's gonna be like SARS. Some poor bastard is going to transport it to Europe via airplane, everyone is going to panic, twenty or so people die, then we develop a vaccine and the scare is over.

Still, poor Sudan. It's probably going to spread like wildfire down there. The UN needs to step in, but I don't think they will...

:-\
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.