Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 35737 times)

Online Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Watchmen
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 09:59:03 am »
Magneto too.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 02:50:24 am »
I'm incredibly hyped up after seeing that trailer. More trailers need to use Smashing Pumkins! I'd be excited for every film!

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 07:26:55 am »
Saw trailer at The Dark Knight.  Got books, finished yesterday.  Started writing this post in Rorschach's style without realizing, continuing for effect.  Found them to be fantastic.  Stopping now, style doesn't work when speaking positively.

It looks to me like the trailer was only in slow motion to sync it up with the music and I'm not too worried about it being too filled with slow motion in the film.  Yes, it's Snyder, but I think that 300 was just one of those films that needed slow motion if it was going to carry over well to the big screen.  Besides, Watchmen isn't about the action, it's about an amazing story that turns classic superheroes on their heads, and if this article is any indication it looks like Snyder intends to stay true to that story.

Still a little worried about Ozymandias though, there's no sign of Egyptian decor in that trailer and the only thing that's even a little golden near him is the post he uses to bash the guy.  I know that black works for some heroes, but Ozymandias' whole thing was being the only hero people still trusted and his costume is supposed to say "hey, I'm a good guy.  You can tell because I'm wearing bright colors.  No lurking in shadows for this vigilante!"  Black works for Batman, but Batman doesn't need good PR.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 02:03:21 pm »
I am just not sure that bright Ozymandias would work in a movie. The movie looks rather dark in the trailer, and I don't think you can contrast the colours as easily on screen as you could in a comic book.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 02:31:47 pm »
Still a little worried about Ozymandias though, there's no sign of Egyptian decor in that trailer and the only thing that's even a little golden near him is the post he uses to bash the guy.
Actually if you check the door in the post swinging scene there is the Ra symbol on the door and the posters with Ozymandias tend to have Egyptian statues and such in the background.  So I am sure there is going to be a good amount of Ramses worship to show of his obsession with the past.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 03:16:56 pm »
Hmm..weren't the comics..err, graphic novels, set in the cold war era? Or sometime around there?

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 05:25:45 pm »
Yeah, the main story takes place during the mid 80s but there are flash backs and backstories that go as far back as the 40s I think.  Its also an alternate history because of the emergence of actual masked vigilantes that appeared around the same time crime fighter comics appeared in our history.  Along with the effect of a "superman"  existing in the world and its repercussions.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline chrisis

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Kabumba
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 06:13:38 am »
started reading the comics just after seeing the trailer in the DK IMAX.

It totally blew me away and spiked my curiosity.

Every time I have read 1 issue or just some pages I often watch the trailer to see all the characters, so i can put names to the faces.

And I don't think slow motion would kill the story. I'm definitely going to see this movie.

Riligious people believe god created man, I believe man created god.
And after the Spore release you can be god ^^

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 07:41:32 am »
SPOILER WARNING

Apparently they will be true to the story and include what is described as a "brutal rape scene". At least they're not going to tone it down for Hollywood.

Offline HanianKnight

• Choplifter Captain
  • He's Probably a Good Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 12:51:27 pm »
I think I might dress up for the movie. Its no harder than slipping on a bathrobe and a smiley face button.

..or putting on a speedo and painting yourself blue.
By the time you finish reading this signature, I've gotten into your house, stolen your t.v., and re-decorated the place so that it fits with your hipster lifestyle.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2008, 12:56:31 pm »
I think I might dress up for the movie. Its no harder than slipping on a bathrobe and a smiley face button.

Or be super-cool and make some kind of Rorschach mask, hat, scarf and leather jacket. Might interfere with 'seeing' the movie though.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2008, 01:09:19 pm »
I will go as the Silk Spectre.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2008, 01:28:22 pm »

Or be super-cool and make some kind of Rorschach mask, hat, scarf and leather jacket. Might interfere with 'seeing' the movie though.

Speaking of which, how does Rorschach see and breath??
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2008, 01:32:26 pm »
That's just one of the problems you'll have to solve when you make the costume.

You'd better get started.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2008, 02:18:05 pm »

Speaking of which, how does Rorschach see and breath??

He doesn't, he lives on pure liquid awesome.

I'd definitely consider a Rorschach costume if I could pull it off, and whoever I go with isn't too embarrassed by my geekdom.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.