Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 35797 times)

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
Watchmen
« on: July 17, 2008, 07:09:57 pm »
The trailer for the film adaptation of the highly acclaimed comic book of the same name (Watchmen :P) just came out today!  Has anyone else been looking forward to this as much as I have.  After seeing the trailer, which is awesome, I am finding it to be more true to the source material than I could have believed.  You can literally go back to the comic and point out the scenes featured in this trailer (you can check it out on the movies webpage).
Anyone else have thoughts on the movie?

"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
Re: Watchmen
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:14:34 pm »
Wait, link? I cant find it anywhere. It wasnt posted where I was checking.

EDIT: Nevermind, I have it now. The official sites never seem to work for me when I need them too.

Here is the youtube version for others who may have the same problem:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQTnlUFQKyE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQTnlUFQKyE</a>

And the link to the hd versions: http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/hd/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:29:45 pm by Mr. Wizard »

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:53:53 am »
This is looking good. I just hope that people will understand it even if they didn't read the comic.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 07:54:21 am »
Well the main plot isn't all that hard to follow, its all the great multi-layered story telling that can be dense.  The real problem for mainstream audiences I think is going to be the 3 hour runtime the director is pushing for.  Then again that didn't stop The Lord of the Rings movies.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 02:56:15 am »
The preview looked rad, I will go see this one.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Parkaboy

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 09:07:24 am »
After Snyder shot 300 entirely on slow motion, I feared for Watchmen. My fears are confirmed. All the damn scenes are in slow motion... Argh!

I'm willing to give it a chance, though. Dr. Manhatan looks amazing. Silk Specter looks awful, on the other hand. And Ozymandias is the worst; he looks like a dumb villain, when he shouldn't look nor dumb nor villainous.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 10:53:53 am »
Well I don't think Ozymandias looks any more villainous than the others but he does look a bit dumb.  I suspect its the actor being too skinny for the part of being a human at near perfect physique and intellect.  Silk Spectre is in the skin tight costume I expected them to put her in and the slow motion probably won't be a big deal since the action scenes aren't the main part of the movie like they were in 300.
-Richard Feynman

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 11:59:33 am »
so the blue guy in your avatar is the blue guy from the comics? ;D

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 09:03:35 pm »
He sure is.  Taken from one of the panels from the comic itself.
-Richard Feynman

Offline MageLite

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 11:52:57 am »
So let me see:

-Comedian looks good, except for his lack of a mask.
-Not sure about super-glowy Dr. Manhattan, but aside from that he's good.
-Silk spectre? Ugh. But I didn't like her comic costume that much anyway.
-Nite Owl looks alright.
-Ozymandias in black? No, no, no. He's not meant to look evil, he's meant to be a superhero, even if he's one that has a skewed sense of morality.
-Rorschach looks perfect. All other transgressions are forgiven.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 02:19:02 pm »
As someone who hasn't read the comics but still knows the plot, I'd say Ozymandias looks fine. Black isn't the ultimate indicator of villainy, look at Batman :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 02:28:28 pm »
If they do the prison cafeteria scene correctly it will be worth the price of admission by itself.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 02:59:07 pm »
As someone who hasn't read the comics but still knows the plot, I'd say Ozymandias looks fine. Black isn't the ultimate indicator of villainy, look at Batman :P

Still he should be dressed in at least dark purple rather than black.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 03:33:49 pm »
How many heroes do you know that wear dark purple? Its a much more villainy colour than black.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 05:18:37 pm »
Just look at Galactus.  He is purple and he tried to eat the Earth.
-Richard Feynman