Author Topic: Hall of Rejected Universes  (Read 26305 times)

Offline Wonderful Lizard of Oz

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
    • Hall of Rejected Universes
Hall of Rejected Universes
« on: July 17, 2008, 02:55:48 pm »
For now this is just a periodical, but I'll make an RP based on it.

Backstory:
Note:The character called Insert is either what God you worship, or, if you are an athiest, some sort of mystery-shrouded figure who created our Universe.

Insert, of the Genesis Corporation, was working in his laboratory.  He tried to get a universe just right, but failed repeatedly, as Thomas Edison failed repeatedly at making a lightbulb.  Our universe is one of those failures.  His goal was to make a universe where Humans that were aesthetically like his race lived in Utopia.  He was simply too compassionate to destroy the failures.  Evventually he succeeded, but this is not the story of Insert's Success.  This is the story of Insert's failures.  Each universe had unique physics.  Insert usually succeeded in creating humans in each universe, but there was alway something wrong with the society that stopped it from being perfect.

Coming soon (probably today)-Reject Universe #1
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:00:52 am by Wonderful Lizard of Oz »

"And your little lizard too!"
-The Wicked Witch of the West

Error 658:There are lizards in your computer.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
Re: Hall of Rejected Universes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 03:39:51 pm »
Sounds like an intresting concept  :)
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 04:07:22 pm »
Thanks!
Reject Universe #1
You know how people used to think the world was flat?  This universe IS flat- and infinite.  The ground is a dark blue color, light comes from beneath the ground, and highly cornered wall-like plants grow, as well as trees much like those in our own universe. People have weaker leg muscles than on Earth, which makes walking inviable.  Humans move by bouncing on horned, space-hopper-like fruits.  Though they have no intelligence and are technically dead, humans personalize their individual fruits, sort of like horses.
Wildlife
Various creatures live in the universe.  Though humans are the most intelligent ones (At a tribal civilization point), others exist.  A flying organism approximately the size and shape of a football is the base of the foodchain, as well as the human's main diet.  Additionally, long predators move across the landscape like a slinky.  They have two holes, one at each end, both with teeth, and both can function either as a mouth or as an anus.  Large worms live underground as well.
Culture
The simplest aspect of the Reject Universe #1 culture is the buildings.  Most tribes use the same (approximately) buildings.  There are houses, which have beds intended for one person.  There are hotel-like buildings with lots of beds, each intended for one person.  Breeding is done in breedinghouses (in beds intended for two people), which are far more protected as they are most vulnerable when breeding.  There are other buildings for other purposes.  Buildings are made of wallwood.
Additionally, there are three major Tribes.
The Sevvels
The Sevvels are the least moral tribe by our standards.  This tribe relies mainly on slaves for their food.  They capture slaves from the other two tribes, and then force them to do manual labor on farms.  Despised by the other two tribes and is usually in war with at least one of them.
The Cappiks
The Cappiks are a hunter-gatherer society.  They hunt the flying organisms, and on a truly successful hunt, even the slinky-like organisms.  (The worms are inedible).  They are the most powerful tribe and have the best shot at overthrowing the Sevvels.
The Pilloses
The Pilloses are a very intellectual tribe.  In their spare time, they contemplate science and philosophy.  They heavily trade with the Cappiks, as they invent the best technology.  Though it seems like hardly any technology to us, it is far better than the other two tribe's technologies.

Coming up:Reject Universe #2.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 06:38:48 pm »
It'd be nice if you could make a universe where the is no matter/mass but only pure energy. :)

So basically, it would work kinda like a virtual world without any "clipping." Their flaw would be that they cannot experience touch and hearing.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 06:48:07 pm »
Is the underground in that universe a finite or infinite one?

If light is coming up out of the ground, it doesn't seem like there would be much, if any, underground at all.

What about universes where the 'humans' don't look exactly like we do in our universe? They don't neccesarily have to be 'made in his image'.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 06:52:17 pm by smjjames »

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 07:05:56 pm »
@Yuu Well, the flaws are generally philosophical things.  Like for Reject #1, it's slavery.  It's basically because they're not perfect, just like our universe.  That's not to say that I can't do that one evventually.
@smjjames  Funnily enough, Reject Universe #2 will have not-exactly-like-humans-humans.
Heck, I'll do one right now.

Reject Universe #2
Much like the last universe, this Universe is flat and infinite.  At least, that was how it was at the beginning.  The land is gridded, with grid squares marked on the land.  Though the squares cannot be dented, placing things on them causes them to move downwards proportionally to the weight of what was placed on it (they have infinite columns below them that move down with them).  This means that as more and more wildlife moves over the surface, the surface forms hills and valleys.  At the beginning of time, there was one particle, placed on one tile, now the center of everything, that psuedorandomly created matter, energy, and occasionally other creator particles in miniscule ammounts.  It was intended to eventually get humans to evolve.  There was something wrong, however, and rather than creating humans with mouths, the eventually evolved humans had proboscises like giant mosquitoes and drank blood rather than eating meat.
Wildlife
Though Wildlife is very varied and has spread far out, some of the main wildlife that lives with humans includes-
Hoppers-Meek, rabbit-like scaled creatures that feed off of shrubberies.
Rammers-Rammers have 4-legs and a long and heavy nose.  They place 4 legs in the tiles adjacent to a tile, and pound with their nose until there is a sizable hole.  They spin a faux shrubberie on top of a sheet, like a spider, to make a tiger-trap over the pounded tile.  They then wait for a Hopper to come by...
Blooders-Gigantic Mammoth-like creatures.  They usually have a whole lot of blood.  They are generally peaceful, but powerful, and fighting one for blood without sufficent preparation commonly ends in death.

Society
Interestingly, unlike in our society (Which is Reject Universe #42, by the way), where society in general tended to be sexist against women, society in Reject Universe #2 is generally sexist against men.  Women and men actually live in completely different tribes.  Unlike in our society, where mating (I'm going to be using that an awful lot as a euphamism) is consensual, and Reject Universe #2, typically women attack male societies and mate with the prisoners during mating season.  What's even odder is that despite having this bizzare barbaric behavior, the tribes (well, at least the female ones) typically have technology on par with ours.

Coming soon:Reject Universe #3

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 07:26:28 pm »
I was thinking of something more alien, but what the heck, proboscis mouthed vampires will do.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 08:29:31 pm »
Looks like this could go somewhere if you keep it up.

Maybe you could accept "guest universes" if you run out of ideas.

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 09:13:19 am »
Oh, I have plenty more ideas.  And can come up with more for a long time.  But suggestions are always welcome!

I'll do one now.

Reject Universe #3
Weightlessness.  Climbing around-in weightlessness.  That's this universe.  The world has a three-dimensional grid (grid cubes each being about 2 meters in each dimension), with the grid lines marked by things something like rails, certainly solid and indestructable.  There is a natural pull in a direction analagous to down- not really down because there are no directions- that is stronger in some areas then others.  In most areas, you wouldn't even feel the pull.  In others, you need to occasionally stop to pull yourself upwards if you want to stay in the same place.  In the strongest, and rarest, it feels like falling from a building on our world.  Humans move through the grid like children on a playground frame, though with less risk of falling in the less strong regions.
Wildlife.
Among others, here are a few creatures.
Gelwrappers-These are masses of single-celled organisms that work together, sort of like Slime Molds.  They are clear and square shaped, and live in the square holes between the grid cubes.  They wait for something to attempt to move through them, and they then quickly wrap themselves around it and consume it.
Impalers-Impalers live in the stronger regions.  They look like four-tentacled giant octoupuses, with large spikes on their heads.  They wrap their tentacles around the rails to avoid falling themselves, and then wait for something to fall on top of their dangerous head-spike.  They then consume the corpse.
Scuttlers-Large crablike organisms.  They have four hook-shaped legs.  They move from cube to cube by hooking on to the rails and swinging.  They additionally eat this way-their legs consume their food source, Railmoss.
Railmoss-A sort of plant that lives on the rails, much like moss.  It spreads quickly.  If a rail was covered with it, all cubes adjacent to that rail would be covered in a week, presuming nothing attacked it and it got its normal amount of energy that week.

Interesting Phenomena
An interesting occurence is called the Cubequake.  Though one is always happening somewhere in the universe, sort of like a Supernova, the chances of it happening at a particular spot is highly low.  A cubequake happens when an ammount of grid squares anywhere from 1 to 10,000 (although the ones around 10,000 ones are awfully rare, over 50% of them only involve one grid square) suddenly dissappears, and is replaced by the same grid squares, but with random matter and energy replacing that which was there.  What happens to the original matter, energy, and rails is simple- it goes to a wraparound subuniverse of its own.  Occasionally if a Cubequake of equal size occurs it will be replaced in rather than the random option.  Cubequakes were how matter first appeared in the universe.

Society
Society is very primitive, not even to a tribal point.  Though the humans are relatively intelligent, they have only begun to make a primitive language- Uh means "Let's mate", Ah means "DANGER", Oh means "Look where I'm pointing", Ih means "No", and Ay means "Yes".

Coming soon:Reject Universe #4

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 06:41:25 pm »
Wow nice job so far!

RU3 looks pretty good, I like weightlessness concept as most would not dare to use it.
But you're making it sound pretty good, also I favor the wildlife you've made as well specifically the Scuttlers :D.

Cube quakes sound similar to star quakes (high density stars quiver due trying to stay stable because of its immense gravitational forces), I'd lower the % though as that is a little high.

Language for the humans is simple and interesting, I like where this is going.
Can't wait for 4, keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 06:43:07 pm by Yttrxium »
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 06:59:45 pm »
I already had 4 in mind, but I don't like double posting,  (BTW, could you give that sort of detailed reviews to RU1 and 2?)

I note that this next universe will be a "storybook" universe.  These have a particular importance to the underlying storyline of Hall of Rejected Universes and evventually the RP.
Reject Universe #4
Reject Universe #4 is unique in that unlike the other universes, where humans are made of particles, in Reject Universe #4, the humans are the particles themselves (and structures called metahumans can grow out of them).  There are two kinds of particles in Reject Universe #4 (AKA the memesphere).  Minds, immobile particles unaffected by gravity or any other force, and ideas, particles that like photons move in a straight line.  Minds are spread evenly through the universe.  Minds are constantly thinking, and eject ideas.  When an idea hits a mind, it absorbs and considers that idea when it creates future ideas.  Successful ideas are ones that can get minds to pay attention.  At the beginning of time, ideas were simple, things like "happy" and "sad".  However, the more ideas a mind recieves, the smarter it becomes, and the more complicated ideas it can create.  Occasionally an idea will be formed that can knock minds out cold (read:shock images), but generally there's an idea that can wake them up again.  When two ideas collide, six ideas emerge- the original two ideas, going in the opposite of their original direction, and four new ideas, each a different mixture of the original that come in various directions from the point of collision.  Metahumans occur when a series of ideas acting in unison actually form intelligence.  Once a beautiful series of ideas formed, that would uplift any mind they came into contact with, which was the original purpose of the universe.  Before Insert could take out the ideas to stop future universes from being a failure as planned, a swarm of disgusting ideas from another direction, put there by an angry colleague, destroyed this plan, putting Insert back at the drawing board.  This wonderful Metahuman can still be collected from the debris, now spread throughout the memesphere's minds and ideas in tiny idea fragments, but the task became too difficult by the time Insert had set up a machine to discover it.

Coming Soon:Reject Universe #5

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 07:34:52 pm »
I bet Insert did some of 'Gods wrath' on his angry colleagues universe or whatever.

"Mess with my universes will you!!!" lol

Pretty interesting one though.

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 07:36:43 pm »
(Actually, Insert made all of the universes.)  If you haven't guessed who exactly this angry colleague is- well, my first inclination is to wonder where you're brain is, but it'll become clearer in the future.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 09:08:53 pm »
LOL, it's still funny though :)

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 02:40:19 am »
Your imagination is amazing! I really like this and will continue reading. I like RU2 a lot.
No way dude, you're trolling me.