Author Topic: Hall of Rejected Universes  (Read 26256 times)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: Hall of Rejected Universes
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 03:36:10 am »
Excellent work with RU3, Lizard! 8)

Personally, I wouldn't even call that universe a reject because it's beautiful in it's own special way. :)

AWESOMENESS, Lizard!

They just keep getting better! 8)

I hope we get to make more of these stories here in this section.

Creation is the ultimate form of art. ;)

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 07:49:24 am »
All these universes were created in a lab, right? Maybe it's an entire universe of atheists. They believe that their universe was created from natural processes and so were they. They see no evidence of intelligent design or special creation in their universe, it all happened from natural processes.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 08:40:31 am »
Maybe the prof didn't want the inhabitants to find out about his universe. Or maybe he has plans for transferring them to the perfect one someday.

Offline Wonderful Lizard of Oz

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
    • Hall of Rejected Universes
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 08:51:56 am »
Thanks for all the praise!  I got all universes through 18 planned last night (I thought I had 19, but one of the ideas just has too many kinks to work out to work now).  It may change as I add more details, but my favorite is the concept for universe #8.

Also, @Yuu-Insert can't put the imperfect people in the perfect universe, for the simple reason that they aren't perfect and thus the universe would not be so.  However, a lot of his work nowadays is trying to find a formula to make someone perfect after their death, though for now he just lets them live in the real world after they die.  There are in fact two layers to the afterlife in this story- the perfect-compared-to-your-univers universe that's real, and the perfect-universe, which can't be accessed until the formula is finished.

Reject Universe #5
This universe, though quite simple to imagine, has highly twisted geometry.  The universe consists of one island, in a square area of water.  The area wraps around, meaning that swimming in one direction leads to the island from the other.  Furthermore, there is a hill on the island.  A rock tunnel moves through this hill.  However, it would be impossible to do so practically as the tunnel is finite on the outside but infinite on the inside.  Though the first humans lived on the island, hunting hog-like animals and fish, they soon explored the tunnel.  As the island became too small to support the human population, civilization started moving into the tunnel and discovered whole ecosystems of animals and plants lived in there.  Several major differences were made to society, not the least of which was the increased cowdedness.  Wars wound up invoking normal civilians as they could not go from one destination to another without going through it.
Wildlife
Many animals live in the hallway, including-
Beepers-Flying, reptilian, boar-like creatures.  Called beepers due to what a description of one would sound like on the radio.
Slong-Very slow shelled creatures that each have one fatal (to them) sting like a bee.
Deems-Bugs in the universe from an unknown source.  Appear to be horned snakes that can create fire.  Naturally hate humans.

Society
A mix between the technological era of the early 1970s, and the culture of the Victorian England.  There isn't really much more to say because it would say things you could already find out from that.

Coming soon:Reject Universe #6
"And your little lizard too!"
-The Wicked Witch of the West

Error 658:There are lizards in your computer.

Offline tomasgaquino

• Gorf Goon
  • Now that's deadly. *psycho song*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 11:12:49 am »
This one's pretty neat, I like the way this is going. By the way, you could get someone on the Merry Doodles and Sketches thread to make you a great banner for this thread. I can't guarantee they'll do it, but who knows?

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 11:27:10 am »
I don't know, I like my own banner.  I'd probably let them draw a still from a universe though, though the first time probably wouldn't be perfect.
Oh, this one'll be another storybook..  You won't get another one until 11.
Reject Universe #6
In our world, John Conway discovered that fantastic patterns can be created with a small set of rules, called 23:3, in a 2-dimensional grid.  He hypothesized that an entire universe full of them would create an intelligent, self-replicating being.  But he was not the first to think of it.  He was merely rediscovering what Insert had found.  Insert seeded the 23:3 universe with patterns designed to create life.  But something had modified the seeds.  Life nearly was created multiple times, but a misplaced glider shape always destroyed it.  Insert could not understand, and was very angry.  Which of his colleagues was sabotauging his work?  He could not tell whether it was his PR guy, Librage, his lab assistant, Pelarah, or the Tech guy, Naats.  But someone was purposefully messing with his work.   And he had to find out who.

Coming Soon:Reject Universe #7
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:23:03 am by Wonderful Lizard of Oz »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 12:48:51 pm »
it's starting to sound alot like the evolution of virtual worlds or something.

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 03:37:32 pm »
I don't quite understand, smj.  Could you clarify?  Now I'll do another one.
Reject Universe #7
Have you ever heard of the Many Worlds theory?  The theory that whenever multiple things could happen, the universe splits up?  Well, you live in the universe in which what happened to you happened.  But there is another universe, much like our own, but with people of a far different mindset.  These beings knew and felt what happened in every probability of them in the universe.  This means most people were 50% male and 50% female due to chances at birth.  Parents tend to have far more children then people in our world as every single sperm that could have hit the egg became a child in some universe.  In each individual universe, they were a male or female, but overall no-one was one gender unless specifically created in a laboratory that way for some reason.  People commonly refer to universes in vernacular, and as generally most people share a lot of universes, sometimes the equivelent of asking someone what's going on in their life is asking what's going on in unseen universes.  Knowledge and personality, and everything that makes you you, is shared between you in all universes, and you get smarter with each copy of yourself, meaning that you can always understand it.  This has the interesting side effect that you are not dead until all copies of you are dead.
Wildlife
Depends on which universe you live in, though the most common creatures are Tits, squirrel-like creatures that steal food, and Rasks, large herbivorous beasts that are eaten in hamburger-like sandwhiches.
Culture
Depends on which universe you live in, though in nearly all of the universes technology is a bit further along than our world, with computers built into most things.

Coming Soon:Reject Universe #8 (My personal favorite)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 05:14:10 pm »
I meant like the development of virtual reality or computer games.

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 09:17:54 pm »
COMPLETELY UNAFFILIATED WITH THE EIGHTH MULTIVERSE.

OK, this next one is my favorite.
Reject Universe #8
Infinite worlds.  Each is just large enough to fit an Earth-sized planet and it's atmosphere.  They each are connected to one another in a linear fashion.  Two races, the Ascenders and the Descenders, each infinite in number, attempt to go in opposite directions on the line of worlds.  Each world has two portals, in a hidden location in each.  One is the ascension portal, the other is the descension portal.  They are both one way, you can not move backwards through them.  The Ascender's goal in life is to ascend through as many worlds as possible, the Descenders to descend.  Most never meet, due to the sheer vastness of their number.  Occasionally one can get blocked up, for instance occasionally a nuclear war will break out in a world over the portals, hiding the portals under lots of rubble and stopping anyone who gets to that world for years to come.  At other times, people can ascend or descend very quickly, as sometimes helpful people will build highways leading directly to a portal when it is found.  In this world people reincarnate as well, meaning that after death you are randomly born as an ascender or descender in a random world.  Also, though both races have both males and females, it is impossible to mate with someone of your own race.  Acenders can only mate with Descenders, and vice versa, and the resulting baby is of random race.  Though it is possible for two of the same to mate, the resulting baby is typically somewhere between retarded and a non-human monster, thus making it a very rare thing that only highly selfish or stupid people do.  One last thing.  Why do ascenders want to Ascend, and why do descenders want to Descend?  It's just their instinct, it's like asking why we like eating cake and don't like eating broccolii as much.

Wildlife
The wildlife had many prototypes in it that would later be used for our universe.  Some species were considered overpowered and had to be nerfed.  For instance, the bears RU8 were approximately the size of an SUV.  Wasp's stings could hospitalize a typical person for over a month.  Others were buffed.  For instance, the lion-equivelent was only about twice the size of a cat, and the spiders were not poisonous at all.

Culture
Skyscrapers are rare.  Typical buildings only have one story.  This is because though Capitalism exists, Corporations do not.  Single people do jobs in exchange for currency, for people who need them done.  People who have created things will sell them, but never hire employees to help make them, though a similar system may arise from people who buy things from less powerful people who make them themselves, and then sell them for higher prices.  Governments do not consist of any people at all, but merely rules distributed to everyone by an ancient, long gone government.  There is a set of rules (the exact rules have changed like a game of telephone throughout the worlds) that, if not followed, people who are following the rules will inflict punishment themselves.

Coming Soon:Reject Universe #9

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 09:31:04 pm »
If most never meet, then how can they be near infinite in number?, alhough 1% of a googol (look it up) would still be a massive number, so even a tiny fraction of near infinity would still be a massive number.

I would say it's flaw is that it is too totalitarian, or maybe the rules on some worlds are so different that they end up with far worse morals than even our own world. I wouldn't be too surprised of quite a number of them destroyed thier world in some way, perhaps even to the point of bieng uninhabitable.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2008, 09:42:59 pm »
Hmmm, interesting. 8)

smjjames seems to have an amazing point in there. What if a group of ascenders render an entire world uninhabitable? How would they go through that world onto the next ones?

I like it! :)

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2008, 09:23:39 am »
A destroyed world is just that- destroyed, leaving the two worlds adjacent to it to rejoin.
Storybook:Reject Universe #9
Thoughts, in our world, decay, and can not be transferred perfectly from one person to another.  People forget things, and soon all the detail is lost.  This universe tested a system in which memory was perfect and could be returned to at any moment as if they were there, and thoughts could be transferred from one person to another, and at the same time discovered the problems it brought.  The world was a world like our world, with planets around stars.  Humans lived on a star that we could not pronounce, but in English is Source.  The planet was Source II.  Human's memories were photographic.  They could transfer their memories to others by touching hands, specifically on a white pad on their hands. In the time similar to our modern world, this was fine.  But soon... soon, the communal thought began to take over, and a hivemind formed.  Humans edited their fake hands, formerly only used for mailing thoughts, to combine with a learning network, that soon combined all people's souls and in so doing destroyed them.  The world became much like the Borg, of our Star Trek fame.  There were a few refugees who escaped, to the moon of their world.  They did not have sufficent technology to terraform their moon, and currently live in a base.  They wait fo their chance, for the hive to leave its weapons unguarded, so they can come crashing down and destroy the Hive, and rebuild their world.  For now... they wait.
Coming Soon:Reject Universe #10

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 01:07:52 pm »
Honestly I'm really liking Universe 8 the most.

Besides some of its flaws spoken of by Yuu and smjjames, it's still the most pleasing to me.

Even though the ascending descending needs some work, don't focus on trying to get it perfect either.
Also the mixed race reproduction thing is pretty neat, makes the universe more diverse and interesting.
The currency and economy system is simple but a little sketchy, still it's nice how its weaved together into capitalistic government. Having corporations non existent is nearly impossible, not saying it's impossible but highly unlikely.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:15:43 pm by Yttrxium »
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2008, 06:08:37 pm »
Thanks!  8 was my favorite too.  10 coming up.
Reject Universe #10
Ever played Super Mario Galaxy?  Or heard of it?  Seen the planets small enough to walk around in less than a minute?  That's this universe.  Planetoids-the small planets- have a special field around them that stops them from crashing into one another.  They move in one of two systems.  One is called a Cloud system, which consists of a cloud of planetoids, and the other is called an Orbit system, which consists of a large number of planetoids orbiting around a larger object called a Srogel.  A Srogel is a large planetoid that emits planetoids, heat, light, and matter.  The matter emitted evventually formed into humans.  Humans live everywhere, though mostly in the Cloud systems.  The human's jumping is improved so that they can avoid missing their planetoids.  Clouds regularly merge and split based on natural forces, since Planetoids cannot crash into one another.

Wildlife
Lurking beasts called Boomers bore holes in planetoids.  They then burrow into the center.  They then wait for something to step onto the planetoid, at which point they expand their limbs in all directions, making the planetoid explode, killing what stepped on it, so that it can eat the remains.
A sort of plant called a Halfer grows.  It is like bamboo, but it is long enough that it starts in the center of the planet and has a stalk on both sides, at opposite ends.  It gets minerals from the dirt of the planetoid.  When it can reproduce, it shoots both stalks at high force in either direction.  They hit other planetoids, dig into the center, and grow other stalks.  When a planetoid runs out of nutrition it's Halfer dies.
A tiny herbivore called the Tinziz, a one-legged hopper the size of a foot, hops around nibbling on the Halfers, and hoping it doesn't run into a Boomer.
The most dangerous creature is something called the Trepad, a gigantic, hairy whale-like floating carnivore that eats whole areas of planetoids.  It later ejects the planetoids, devoid of any life, from its rear end, all animals, plants, and even microorganisms digested within.  It carries parasites called Wics, Cow-sized flat parasites that suck blood from the Trepads.

Society
Society is at a tribal level.  Most tribes are rather aggressive tribes, thus keeping them apart, but some will form alliances and even trade with one another.

Coming Soon:Appendix #1 (Don't worry, I'm not done, I'll give an appendix of interesting facts every 10 universes)