Author Topic: So i bought an electric guitar...  (Read 5445 times)

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
So i bought an electric guitar...
« on: July 16, 2008, 09:22:26 am »
and now i have no idea how to connect to my computer.

i got this cable that i suppose is meant for an amplifier, but i got this cable head thingy that i put on the amplifier cable so that i could stick the cable from the guitar directly to the computer's mic or line-in thing.

sadly, it wasn't that simple.

as i strum my guitar nothing but the metal sound of the guitar itself came.

can anyone help me?

ask specific questions and i will answer them.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
Re: So i bought an electric guitar...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 09:34:35 am »
i have tried every single jack.

am i supposed to hear anything when i plug it in? like, if i strum the guitar, will there be sound even if i have just gaming steve up?

or do i need some kind of software?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 09:36:36 am »
Yes you might, although there is no reason why the in-line should not work.

Try this site out and see if it helps, they've got a few solutions. All praise Google.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 09:40:03 am »
Did you read the manual that it came with? Also, are your speakers on?

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 09:42:41 am »
Did you read the manual that it came with? Also, are your speakers on?

strangely, there's no manual. only the guitar, the cable with the thing i stuck on the end of it, and another cable i suppose is for an amplifier, which i don't have.

@Pat, i scoured the internet for solutions, but didn't find this one. going to read it.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 09:51:29 am »
I wouldn't imagine an electric guitar would work if you're not supplying any electricity to it.

Also plug a set of headphones directly into it and hope Daxx shows up.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:16:45 am by /lurk »
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 09:54:08 am »
Hmmmm.. only thing I can think of as a power source is an Amp.
But that's the only thing I can think of, I'm not really familiar with electric instruments so sorry I can't help.
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 11:37:06 am »
I wouldn't imagine an electric guitar would work if you're not supplying any electricity to it.

well, there's only one plug spot, which is supposed to be attached to an amp, which then is supposed to be attached to my computer... i think.

i have absolutely no idea.

ok, i kicked up my computer volume to much much higher level, and i now get sound!

well. it sounds alot like an acoustic guitar, and the four buttons with numbers on don't seem to do much...

i don't think i have it quite fixed yet, think i need an amp? will that solve it?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 12:16:35 pm by Veraal »

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 12:22:48 pm »
So far an amp seems like the only solution here, unless you get professional help that is.
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 12:25:07 pm »
You could always try ebay, they have some good stuff on there.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 12:26:47 pm »
Many of the things I read while searching for a solution say you need something called a preamp or you can use a mixer. I'd imagine that the first option is cheaper. Also they said that an effects pedal may be required to give the guitar the volume boost needed to get the sound to register with the system.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 01:31:55 pm »
All an amp does, AFAIK, is amplify the volume. You'll just need software to change the sound, I think. Also, I don't think Electric Guitars need power because the strings moving over the sensors creates the necessary power for the signal, but not enough to be loud at all, which is why amps are needed. Really, you don't power the guitar, but the signal it creates.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 02:43:23 pm »
All an amp does, AFAIK, is amplify the volume. You'll just need software to change the sound, I think. Also, I don't think Electric Guitars need power because the strings moving over the sensors creates the necessary power for the signal, but not enough to be loud at all, which is why amps are needed. Really, you don't power the guitar, but the signal it creates.

i kinda figured, but wasn't sure, thanks!

Many of the things I read while searching for a solution say you need something called a preamp or you can use a mixer. I'd imagine that the first option is cheaper. Also they said that an effects pedal may be required to give the guitar the volume boost needed to get the sound to register with the system.

preamp.. no idea what that is. i've been thinking of just going back to that musician shop and ask for an amplifier, which seems to be the last option.
that scruffy kid should've told me more specific that i needed more than just the cabel thing.

also, i don't really know what these things are called in norwegian, which is my mother tongue. amplifier is what we call forsterker, but preamp, i have no idea. and mixer? dunno what that is either.

Offline The Dead Herring

• Dragster Diehard
  • Mmmmm grunge...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 04:15:55 pm »
Don't worry, you don't need a preamp or amplifier to record electric guitar onto your computer.

You just need some software on your PC to increase the gain on the guitar, once the volume switch is all the way up on your instrument, that is it's maximum output.

Everything that an amp can do, software does too, albeit with a small amount of latency.

On the software side, I use Apple's Logic 8 audio sequencing program, combined with Native Instruments' Guitar Rig plug-in, this software emulates thousands of amps with no detectable latency and sounds fantastic.

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=guitarrig3xe

The plug-in works stand-alone, but you won't be able to record or edit without a sequencer.

Joe

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 04:57:20 pm »
hum hum.

well, as i prolly stated, i am a complete guitar n00b, and the guitar i bought came with four knobs with 0-10 numbers on them.

i have no idea what each of them represent, as there weren't any instructions book, think you or someone could help me? like, giving a picture of an electric guitar with four knobs like mine, only saying what each mean? much appreciated

and, thanks Joe, I'll try your advice.