Author Topic: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (7 new creatures as of 9/08)  (Read 13374 times)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Welcome to the Galactic Zoo! Species from worlds all over the galaxy are displayed here.

Here is my sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames

Here are my creations :) Feel free to comment on them or check out the sporepedia entries.

Bakkillak

Macroanomalcaris
This one is meant to be a sort of evolution of Anomalcaris. Also, this was my first creation using trial version.

Kerkaiiyh

Caylamon

Weaponmouth
Was experimenting with putting lots of weapons in the mouth area.

Cerebrak
Not one of my better creations, but pretty good for trial version and experimenting around.

Chiropeteraan
At first I was going for what a Jawa might look like without its hood and stuff on, but then I went on my own path. This little guy was actually one of my most popular creation for a little while. Also, following the line of sapien creatures that Hydro made (I saw them after I made this), this guy is probably the closest to a Chiropeterasapien as I got here, the Chiropetera bieng the bats.

Maxeye *Extinct*

Tree Mimic
Not all that beautiful or great looking as it was more of an experiment in making a tree-like creature.

Jnerrai
Attempt at a centauroid creature.

Deltaic Raptor

Alien Octopoid

XtremeExtendoarms
I was bieng silly with extreme limb lengths here.

Chirri

Bunch of 'fodderbeasts' that I made.

Daraykryt

Girikryn

Ignhurr

Habeliattoya

Ixicherr
Rough representation of one of my early ideas for a spore creature alien.

Gavapto

Klajerihor

Kilmortakasr

Kaidgelon

Land Shark

Larvaface

Manicton

Mirisskang

Jirikkong
This one is actually made from the Mirisskang body, I made the front section upright and added graspers.

Xenowasp

Wrsth
I was trying to make a wraith like creature and had trouble making the hood, also I origionally meant to name it Wraith, not Wrsth, but heck.

Vrini
insectoid herbivore.

Varokog
When this guy does the water spin animation in paint mode, it looks like he is spitting all over the place. An unintended, but funny, effect.

Trilaterrikin
Was going for trilateral symmetry, but the CCs built in symmetry worked against me with the legs, so I had to make do.

Skikurriped

Shark Leech

Nahiir

Mynirkessh

Mutant Horse
Was going along the lines of that two legged horse joke. Outwardly it does look like a few of Hydros creations, but really, the only commonality is a small body and having two legs.

Mortis Florae

Mntikerriss

Caladan SeaUrchin
This one is my latest as of today (7/15).

I have a few others up on the sporepedia, but these are the better ones.

Tank Herbivore
This one is actually an update of an older one I did. Origionally, I was playing around with how big I could make a creature. Also, look at the flip animation in CC (it's up on sporepedia), I refuse to believe something THAT big can possibly flip like that. When is the last time you saw an elephant do a backflip? It is a huge creature, fills up the entire workpad in build mode, probably comparable to Ovi's Scoopback.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:14:21 am by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 09:43:53 am »
I know it's a double post, but it is my thread anyhow.

Just wanted to gently bump this thread and let people know that the first post is pretty much done. I don't know if I'll upload a larger pic for all of the creatures listed above, but I'll probably go and make some of my better creations.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 05:15:17 pm »
Hollowpom

Just a little something I thought of making last night as an aside to what I want to do. It's really just a weak herbivore. It could be tamed as a pet if that is possible. I know we can make domesticated animals into the equivalent of livestock. Although I did add a high social rating.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 07:28:37 pm »
Well ok, I need some help here, does anybody know how to make a good all around membrane like a jellyfish does?

This is my origional idea from way back:

Here is my attempt:
Land Jellyfish Prototype *Extinct

It is DEFINETLY not my best creation (this would rank as the worst, bleh >< ) as I had to use up nearly all of the complexity meter and this is what I managed to get. I'm not giving up on it just yet, there has got to be a better way of making a jellyfish-like membrane bell. It is possible that the design itself just doesn't translate well into spore.

Meanwhile, I'll take a stab at my other one, which I'm pretty sure will be doable.

*I decided to remove this one from my sporepedia as I was embarassed by it since it was a horrible creation compared to what I normally churn out.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:09:54 am by smjjames »

Offline Wonderful Lizard of Oz

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
    • Hall of Rejected Universes
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 07:38:48 pm »
Nice.  I like the Celebrak best.

Hey wait.  What's that "Attach" thing?
"And your little lizard too!"
-The Wicked Witch of the West

Error 658:There are lizards in your computer.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 07:45:26 pm »

What do you mean attach thing? If you mean the latest, the thing coming out of the bottom is the proboscis. It's supposed to be attached to the bottom of the creature but in the older drawing I made, the attachment point is hidden.

Offline Wonderful Lizard of Oz

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
    • Hall of Rejected Universes
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 07:45:51 pm »
I mean the thing that appears when I'm posting.
"And your little lizard too!"
-The Wicked Witch of the West

Error 658:There are lizards in your computer.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 07:48:18 pm »
oh that, it's to attach files to the post, but the file limit is so dang small that you have to use an image hosting site for images which are almost always too big for it.

Offline Skizzik

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 08:10:32 pm »
Cool creatures. I like Chiropeteraan. I have a soft spot for little creatures.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:02:48 pm »
thanks :) The Chiropeteraan was my most popular creature for a while.

Here is the next one I had mentioned about

This is the origional pic from way back:

Kataii'aan

The babies are pretty cute aren't they?

I had to make a few changes from the origional idea. Since I was having some trouble with the complexity meter, I made them a quadruped instead of a hexaped so that I could give them appropriate feet. It's a little chunkier than I wanted, but not a big deal. I also gave it a short tail due to conflict with the complexity meter. The animation is okay, except for when it shoots from its nose gland, the shooters jump right off the head. I had origionally planned to have a poison gland in its nose area and shoot poison or something out of two pairs of holes on the front. Also, the feathery antennae behind it's head are the equivalent of a nose, they can be withdrawn into specialized olfactory pockets.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 09:05:00 pm by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 09:42:06 am »
Tusked Savrip

I tried to make a pair of column like legs with the attachment point coming out of the middle which I saw on someones creatures. I forget whose, but it is on this forum section. However, they just didn't look right to me when I tried as the top part kept flailing around.

Anyways, this guy is supposed to be from a world with heavier gravity than earth. So it has evolved in a way that gave it a low center of gravity and thick legs. It is also an aggressive predator.

While the name savrip is from a star wars creature I think, it's not inspired by it.

Also, I'm updating the tags on all my uploaded creatures so that the gamingsteve tag is on there, just letting people know.

appreciate all the comments so far :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 10:48:06 am by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 12:56:57 pm »
I had always wanted to create a Gungan in spore.
Spore Gungan
I know it's not a unique one because there are like over 20 gungans on sporepedia, but I'm pretty sure this is the only Gamingsteve gungan so far :)

This is NOT the one I uploaded. I was looking around at the layers and noticed that this particular look made it look like it was wearing underwear. Just thought it was sort of funny.

This is the one I uploaded:

You guys are free to do whatever you want with it, mutate it, kill it, sacrifice it on an altar, do things that can't be said on a forum, eat it (with a carnivorous creature), or just make friends with them :)

Overall it's a pretty good recreation, although I had a hard time getting the ears right and they clip like crazy with many animations.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 12:59:06 pm by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 03:39:52 pm »
Dracoraptor

A reptomammalian predator of the grasslands on it's home planet. This one has an unusual joint archetecture in that the second joint are actually it's shoulders and hips (for arms and legs respectively). Initially I made this with a more pillar-like back legs, but then decided on something that would look a bit more agile looking. I also like the running animation for this one as it has a feline look to it, very appropriate for a predator.

This one I didn't actually save, I was just looking at how it would look standing upright because I'm hoping to do the dracoraptor in the creature stage. Once I get some 'brain points', I'll start evolving it towards bieng upright so that I can use graspers on it. It's also a very tall creature as I didn't change it's length or anything. Seems like it would be somewhere around 8 feet tall. I wish we had a dang measurement scale.

Rajihorn

I don't have many pure herbivores in my own collection (ones I made that is), so I decided to make one. It is also a reptomammalian which travels in herds. It's behavior is not much different from a wildebeest, but it does have an aggressive streak.

Swamp Hydaro

Kind of semi requested by Parkaboy since he liked the fodderbeast3, but thought it should have a name. Still, I couldn't just rename it and submit it as a clone, so I made a few changes to it and made it a relative of Fodderbeast3
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 04:42:27 pm by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 04:40:24 pm »
Xaadu

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500006885735
Copied from my description of it:
A semi-aquatic herbivore native to dense swamplands. The bulbs on its back are bioluminescent and can come in any color, depending on the color given off by the dominant 'firefly' color in a species home range. The most common color though is a yellowish white.

Some other stuff that I wanted to put in but didn't have room is that they can live in habitats outside of thier normal swamplands, but those that live there don't have bioluminescence. However, if those individuals are either fed swampland plants or are moved to a swampland in its known range, they do accquire bioluminescence. While the exact mechanism behind this is not known, it is suspected that a certain chemical found in plants that are only found in the swamplands is required.

Mallakaq

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500006885846

A tall giraffe-like herbivore native to its homeworlds savannahs. It's a really good creation IMO.

Caracallawk

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500006885824

An extremely intelligent avian creature, it is believed to be as smart as a chimp.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:42:53 pm by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 04:57:36 pm »
Chelicerakaii

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500006886252

An arachnoid. I wanted to have it be a metallic blue and make it look like it had an exoskeleton at the same time, but couldn't find a good combination.

Alderaan Crystalback Spider

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500006886270

I was playing around with various limb configurations and decided to try making one where all of the limbs origionated from a single point on the body. It's kind of hard to see the connection point in the pics and the pics themselves really don't show it in the best way. So I would recommend downloading it.

Jarobala

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500006885890

A creature of the deserts and pretty well adapted :) I actually used up alot of complexity making the long tail. I wish we could get our creatures to hop like a kangaroo or something because that is why I gave it powerful looking legs.

Bekukrag

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500006886307

Its sort of an experimental creature, but I like the way it turned out. However the animation bugs make it look bad.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 06:36:03 pm »
Pfnaugh *Extinct*

Tkyryt *Extinct*

Both the Pfnaugh and the Tykyryt are experiments in seeing how it would work if I used a limb for the body and the body itself as the neck. It makes some animations look strange simply because it's strangely made.

Corocatal

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007087208

This started out as yet another experiment with limb configurations and I started to really like the way it was going and it turned out extremely well. I also like the way the yellow areas have a green tinge on the edges.

Harodatal

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007087342

Believe it or not, this is actually derived from the Corocatal, if you look carefully, you'll see it has essentially the same body (the midsection is narrowed down though) and I used the same limbs. The Harodatal is based on the same experiment that I was doing with the Corocatal and I wanted to try out that limb configuration. I didn't put a whole lot of detail on it because I used up alot of complexity with the limbs and several eyes which would give it a near 360 degree field of view. Also, it's only real defense is it's bulk.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 01:42:15 pm by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 11:44:14 am »
Gyskrath

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007222221

With this one, I was playing around with a limb style found on one of Parkaboys creatures. Initially I was giving this a whole bunch of spit and strike weapons, but then I decided like how much fun would it be if you had a superpredator that could pwn everything a hundred times over, so I toned it down and made it a more social oriented animal. Despite it bieng an omnivore, it prefers a scavenging lifestyle.

Maixungochirrus

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007231779

I haven't made any flying creatures in a while, so I decided to make some. Especially after seeing that vid with the flying creature. Also, I have a feeling that this guy will be a better glider than a flyer because it has a jump rating of 5, but a glide rating of 2. The 'neck' is in fact a flexible proboscis, which explains why it goes almost completely into the body on some animations. I hope this guy has a good looking flight animation ingame.

Aeronapalm

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007265969

Trying my hand at a gasbag creature. The 'gasbag' above it would have been bigger but I ran into problems with complexity. I was trying to get it to have countershading, but there wasn't anything that worked extremely well.

Jewelfly

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007274372

Just felt like making something a little simpler. It's meant to be something that can be encountered in the early creature stage. I wish we could get more detail on the wings instead of it bieng almost one solid color.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 07:15:28 pm »
Crimson Plainssabre

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007278113

Falaruu

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007300767

The real reason why I didn't put a complete parabolic dish on this one is because if I did, it would keep impaling itself with the fins.

Nightstalker

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007307226

The Nightstalker from Dougal Dixons "After Man: A Zoology Of The Future". I had to take some iiberties with the color as I couldn't get the exact pattern and did what I could with the bat ears and the nose. Also, I did give it eyes despite it bieng blind in the book because it has extremely highly developed echolocation, and there isn't any as far as we know in spore. We also don't yet know what the gameplay will be like if we play a blind creature.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 07:41:13 pm by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 08:10:14 am »
Karanoc

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007309836
A small forest dwelling arthropod. It relies on stealth and bieng very fast in order to ambush prey. I made the Karanoc look like it was adapted for camoflauge in a forest setting as much as possible. The leg extensions are meant to look like branches or grass.

Handstand Centaur

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007379071
After seeing a couple centaurs in the sporepedia, I thought, why not an upside down centaur? I named it Handstand Centaur as that sounded better than Upside Down Centaur. Anyways, it's not meant to be beautiful since it was suppoused to be simply a funny creature. It's something that really has to be seen in the CC as several animations are funny. :)

Xenomultiplicity

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007561801
A sort of alien hydra. In fact, each of the heads has a smaller brain in them which acts as a sub-personality of the whole. In effect, each head acts like an individual, but the main central head has full control. The sub-heads have no eyes and have to rely on the main central head for vision. It'll be interesting to see how this one handles things in tribal phase.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 08:33:19 am »
Narakorra

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007387415
Made some pretty complex mouthparts on this guy.

Scytheraptor

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007405061
I'll admit that this is not much more than a dressed up utahraptor. But hey, it's strike animation is pretty cool with its wolverine style claws. You wouldn't want to run into this guy in its native jungles since you would be dead by the time you see it and it wanted to kill you.

Ecoixa

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007485367
I wanted it to be a semiaquatic creature, but it doesn't seem like we can do this. Still, if there are planets with swamplike environments, it would be at home there. The two protuberances behind the eyes are the nostrils. Initially I had them further up front, but the constant wobbling when walking kept bugging me. The circles behind its eyes are the ears, modelled after the typanium of amphibians. Some people might think that it's walking animation is wierd, but guess what else waddles like that? I've also noticed that when it sits down, the legs look alot like a frog's legs, which is appropriate IMO because it's supposed to be a good swimmer.

One final thing, I gave it some wings because I wanted to give it some jump ability. Since the wings are hidden, it's probably going to look like it is just hovering in midair.

I really wish Maxis could at fix the glitch with things on the lower jaw not moving with it, or at least have a creature in a video with something like that to at least show that it is fixed in the full game.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (7 new creatures plus my 100th)
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 05:39:36 pm »
I've been trying to get myself away from thinking along the lines of Terran life forms (Earth, that is) and making them more alien, which would help in creating the creatures.

Edocranite

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007581244

Ekuramok

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007621917

Hkatarii

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007704588

Emerald Dikorr

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007705769

When I saw Parkaboys Muslatery, I wanted to make an armored creature similar to that one using the same part. However, the tail end of the thing kept clipping right through the back part of the shield and the black marks just didn't look good. So, I went for an armor style closer to that of a pillbug or a trilobite.

Alpine Stunhorn

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007711514

At first glance, this might look like some wierd form of goat, but its skull structure is completely unlike that of any Terran lifeform. I'd have to say that the attempt at making shaggy fur is a near perfect success here. Apart from a few gaps here and there that show up when sprinting, it moves exactly like I would expect of a shaggy coat.

Xaicoutl

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007720218

Centennik

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007727775

My 100th creature! :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 05:41:55 pm by smjjames »

Offline Skizzik

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (7 new creatures as of 8/3)
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 06:56:24 pm »
Some real good one in that last batch!

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (7 new creatures as of 8/3)
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 05:51:44 pm »
Gacerik

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007805098

I was going for some sort of insectoid that fed on plant juices, however, there is no appropriate proboscis type mouth, so I had to make one. The fins are degenerate gills. I created the proboscis mouth by using an extended jellybutton, I tried looking at other tubelike appendages, but none of them worked as well as the jellybutton did. I explained away the fact that it has a bite ability of one by giving it a drill like tougne which is not shown (it only exists in the description), it uses this to puncture or cut into plants to get at the sap or other plant juices.

Quertaki

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007819045

I made this guy a sort of 'jack of all trades', it has alot of skills, but is not at a high level in any of them. The large bulge at the end of it's tail is the gland which produces the poison (or whatever our creatures spit in the actual game). The four tubes on the back part of it are air intake tubes because the whole propelling system works in part by using air pressure, it has specialized muscles which create phneumatic pressure that goes into the storage chamber and blasts it out. It's actually a pretty complex, highly evolved system.

It's animation is actually pretty good, although it threatens to whack itself on the head with the tail on some animations.

Fesehp

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500008036163

I was messing around and wanted to make something with a wierd limb comformation and a wierd gait.

Bidexta

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500008046202

This one is unique in the way that it has double arms. I was wondering how it would deal with the fact that it has no thumbs for fine manipulation, so I gave it another pair of forearms with the palms facing each other. Each pair is meant to act as a single hand, although CC doesn't seem to treat it that way. We'll see how it works when Spore is released.

Longnecked Shauthan

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500008086156

This last picture is to show where the mouth is:

I was doing some more experimenting and came up with this guy. It is an octoped with a bipedal style gait. I'd have to say that I did the head really well, although it looks funny when walking forward. The horns and bony pads are used in butting contests during the mating season.

Scuvag

One of the most destructive pests in the galaxy. They have very strong stomache acids which allows them to digest just about anything they can get thier maws on, the acid is also spat out to corrode/digest food and as a weapon. The spines on the back are needle sharp and filled with venom, making them almost impossible to be eaten. They largely do damage with thier mouths which have many teeth and it can expand it's mouth quite a bit. The spikes on the sides are used to grab and hold prey. The Scuvag are known to use thier acid spit to tunnel through solid materials, they are also known to chew on inorganic objects. They are one of the main causes of equipment faliures in industrial areas.

A side note, the word scuvag is used as an insult on some worlds.

Zakath

These behave almost like locusts do. The main difference is that they are much larger, far more voracious, and don't eat just plants. In fact they will eat flesh, both dead and alive, just about the only parts of animals they don't eat are the bones. Despite swarming in massive numbers and threatening to eat just about every organic material they can get thier jaws on (they don't eat animal wastes, even thier own), the swarm only happens for on average, about three months out of a standard year before they exhaust thier energy in a final, massive, mating orgy, lay tiny eggs on just about any suitable surface, and die. On thier homeworld, the swarm event is a feast for many other predators and so the devastation is much less than it would have been without the predators. As you can guess, if they are not on thier homeworld, they can cause massive destruction. By the time the native predators catch on to the feast, if at all, it's too late to give any impact. Also, I managed to get it to do a modified six legged gait style instead of the style that the CC tends to give eight legged creatures.

*note* I left out the gross extra bit of info (it's not obscene, just gross, like something out of the Dirty Jobs show), so if you want to read that, go over to the creative commissions thread.

Asterokoga

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500007994926

The asterokoga are a ratlike species from a planet whose sapient natives decided to simply adapt to the zero gravity environment of space. Over many generations, any creatures that they brought with them or had simply stowed away (as the Asterokogas ancestors did) adapted to the zero gravity environment as well, whether through genetic engineering or evolution. They are considered vermin in the same way Terran rats are. Because they have adapted so much to zero gravity, they have difficulty moving around in a normal gravity environment. So they are mostly a pest on starships and asteroid colonies.

The tail is supposed to be prehensile, I would have added plates or something to emphasize that, but hit the complexity limit.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 05:57:34 pm by smjjames »

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (8 new creatures as of 8/7)
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 07:40:54 pm »
the guy laying down is hilarious and original.

I must have been making mini creatures for too long because all of yours seem huge, even the ones that are normal sized :/

Nice work.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (8 new creatures as of 8/7)
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 07:49:16 pm »
yea thanks, its meant to be a zero gravity adapted creature. The animations are okay, although I don't know how good it will look ingame as far as animations go.

I do zoom in as far as I can for the pics, so the small creatures that I have look bigger in the screenshots. There are a couple of pretty small creatures among those that I made.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (9 new creatures as of 8/7)
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 08:31:57 pm »
I decided to redesign the Macroanomalcaris as I had made that one when I had the trial edition and before I learned all the tricks. The origional Macroanomalcaris doesn't animate badly (it does wierd things with the arm that the mouth is on with some animations), but if it looks bad in the full game, I'll remove that. It really shouldn't be a problem.

Scythe Macroanomalcaris

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500008141575

I kept the same body plan and the spines as I wanted to keep the general form of the creature. The mouth wasn't accurate for anomalcaris, so I used the leeotch mouth which is the closest. Also added a different set of scythes.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (9 new creatures as of 8/7)
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 10:16:21 am »
Emerald Land Jellyfish

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500008548829

A speciation (basically I made a closely related species) of Parkaboys reimagination of my land jellyfish prototype. I couldn't add anything else and didn't want to remove anything, so I simply made some morphological and color changes. I did credit you Parkaboy, so no problems there.

Also, I decided to make my origional Land Jellyfish prototype extinct because I was embarassed by the fact that it was far below the standards I generally have with my creatures that I made. Pictures and holograms are all that exist in the museums.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (2 new creatures as of 8/12)
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 12:23:54 pm »
Broken Decaclawbyte

This creature actually has a broken and normal version because the break came right when I was finished designing it. I suspect that the bug is caused by the complexity meter maxing out because when I removed something, it went to normal. I didn't bother painting it because it is a broken creature.

Decaclawbyte

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500008559705

This arthropod has a body plan that has it's mouth further back and pointing backwards. It uses its claws to transfer food towards the mouth.

I know I technically made two creatures here with this, but I consider it one because it's just a tiny modification of the broken creature. That and I'll have to remember to delete it when spore comes out.

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (updated 8/12)
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 09:54:50 am »
Now where did I put that lobster claw cracker...

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (updated 8/12)
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 10:08:28 am »
lol Darcie :)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (updated 8/19)
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 09:05:09 am »
Well, I got distracted for a while playing some games on gametap, but got bored of those and returned to the CC. Spore just seems too awesome compared to anything else. Sid Mieiers Pirates! had my attention for a little bit though.

Anyways, heres the latest batch of creatures, I'll probably make two posts for this bunch.

Y'dani

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500008567383

C'veche

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500008561068

I was making something that origionated on a low gravity world and was very tall, but kind of ended up with a freakish creature that looked like a mutated sea slug.

Janjiroo

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500008571555

This creature evolved in a way that it has a top heavy structure, so it developed its front limbs as walking limbs and its lower limbs developed into manipulators.

Desert Ginsubeetle

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500008586809

A creature with heavy armor and lots of weaponry.

Lazacca

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500009017926

A slow moving predator that relies on its spit ability to kill prey and an extremely well developed sense of smell to track down prey. The tentacles and the two spines on its side are all that remain of its front limbs, which have atrophied over time.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (updated 8/19)
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2008, 09:27:57 am »
Thalnoc

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500009020962

This guy actually does a pretty good impression of a wolf howl. Also, the laardvark head actually makes a pretty good set of thick mandibles. I embedded a handibles to give it a sharp inner edge.

Quamorrean

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500009024524

A warmongering porcine species. I wish I knew how to increase the meaness attribute that shows up with the SporeScope addon. Also, I had to do quite a bit of experimentation to get the head the way I wanted it to. Unfortunately there isn't any other head with a lower jaw like the s'gnarly head does. I didn't really want the monkey sounds, but it will have to do.

Ixilorta

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500009034831

Because of the unusual way I made this creature, it ended up with an unique trait, it is always moving the upper part of the body around. I know the head is always moving when the creature is standing still, but this only involves the head and the neck. However, this is the only creature that I've made which moves much of its body around when just standing still. I took advantage of this and made the upper part of the body where most of the senses are clustered, it moves around to get a full sensory picture. I had a hard time deciding on how to paint this creature as its just so alien looking.

Chadat

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500009056475

A small herbivore, nothing special about this guy.

Irijanga

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500009060191

A tall cranelike avian native to wetlands and other aquatic habitats on its homeworld. The long legs enable it to wade into deep water. The sapient natives of its homeworld claim that the song of an Irijanga is one of the most beautiful sounds on the planet.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (5 new creatures as of 8/20)
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 08:49:26 pm »
Gwekkor

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500009128920

I sort of created this on a spur of the moment, partially inspired by the Skrashers of Startopia, and I felt like making a huge, heavily armored, arthropod type creature. It actually also coincidentially resembles the Garthim from the Dark Crystal movie.

Kertican

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500009189541

A desert dwelling herbivore, it stores water and fats in the fat portion of its tail, which is well defended.

Kaitani Mossback

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500009211424

At first I was trying to make some kind of spitter with bulbous limbs standing in for massive glands (no hands or feet attached), but it kept looking horrible, so I looked at Parkaboys Sennezantine because I thought I had seen it with something like I wanted. However, the Sennezantine and the organs tip from Parkaboys blog inspired me to do something else with it, so I came up with this. I didn't actually use the Sennezantine, although the body shape is very similar. It lives on a planet with a somewhat thinner atmosphere than Earth and it lives in mountanous regions where the air is even thinner. So, it has developed large airsacks behind its head to aid in taking in alot of oxygen. Also, it has developed camoflauge to help hide it among the mosses common to the region where it lives. This creature also has the ability to adapt to changes in oxygen availability by increasing or decreasing the size of the gas bladders and the intake/outlet holes.

I've noticed that the organ I made for this guy is similar to that of the Alberot, the similar systems to take in alot of air evolved for different reasons.

Trakan Ridgeback

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500009224323

Seladi

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500009230414

A strong herbivore. These are known for thier headbutting rituals during mating season. The spikes on the back are used to intimidate rivals. They are known to take on predators by charging and using thier tusks and horns to stab the predator. In other words, this is a dangerous herbivore to mess with if you are a predator.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2008, 01:41:09 pm »
Due to reasons varying from simply unable to adapt to death by laser, a few species have gone extinct, unlike what would happen if Earth creatures went extinct, these guys will not be missed*.

*I'm saying that it would be a serious problem for various species to go extinct here on Earth, I won't bore you with the scientific details. Just that the extinction of these particular creatures has no issues in the world of Spore.

MaxEye: Extinct due to the fact that it's slow and utterly defenseless. Now if its eyes could shoot lasers, that would be something else...

Xtreme Extendoarms: Extinct due to it's arms getting tangled up in just about everything.

Land Jellyfish Prototype: Extinct due to sheer inability to move properly on land. The real reason I made the Land Jellyfish prototype extinct is because I was totally embarrassed by it, it was horrible compared to what I normally make.

Tkyryt: Extinct because of an Ice Age on its homeworld, it just couldn't adapt to walking on frozen ground since the split body shape kept going all over the place.

Pfnaugh: Extinct due to aliens on a laser rifle hunting spree.

The main reason the Tkyryt and Pfnaugh went extinct is because they were almost purely experimental and were rather simplistic.

All that's left of these creatures are various 3D holomodels and holovids in museums.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 01:43:39 pm by smjjames »

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2008, 02:04:17 pm »
Nice creatures! I like the variety. *adds to sporecast*

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2008, 03:31:13 pm »

Also, if anybody reading this thread has spore, could you check for sure whether the reapermantis parts on my latest creature, the Skerkratos, don't move around too much? I know they patched all those animation issues, but I just want to be absolutely sure.

I know I'm technically 'in hiding' because I don't want to spoil things too much, but I'll still be around to update this thread and look at the CCC thing.

Lastly, could someone check whether the Ecoixa behaves strangely in the game? I have no idea how it will act in the game because I gave it wings so that it has some jump ability, but the wings are hidden. It's actually a great creature, just may have to remove the wings.

I already removed the few creatures that were purely experimental or were meant to show a bug, so don't worry about finding those.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »
Here is a new batch:

Skerkratos

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500010533148

large boar like animal that is from a harsh planet. It's homeworld is a hot and mostly dry place, so life has to take extreme measures to survive. Most herbivores are heavily defended, ranging from armor to spikes and the predators bieng equally armed. In short, life on its homeworld takes survival to extremes. Predators rarely leave without a couple of cuts and perhaps a gash or two from the preys defenses after a hunt.

H'taq

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500010548121

A voracious carnivore that will eat just about anything that it can get in its huge mouth. It's a very social predator with a clan-like society and hunts in packs.

I did think about giving this guy some arms and graspers, but the complexity meter was already pratically maxed out and so I couldn't get a good grasper on there.

Hkaadi'ysai

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500010563214

A small omnivore, the tubes on the sides of its head are used for breathing and assist in soundmaking.

J'nanin Monkey

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500010651221

It got it's name from the monkey-like noises that it makes, despite bieng physically as far from unmonkeylike as you could get. Also, as I was making this, the head was like screaming for lots of head decorations, so I gave it a whole bunch.

Pjunera

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500010663309

An ambush predator that relies on stealth and a quick burst of speed while hunting.

Jadaca

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500010695512

A pretty weak omnivore that makes up for its weak attacks by bieng a fast runner. The clubs along its arms are largely used in mating displays, but can be used to scare or confuse an attacker.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (6 new creatures as of 9/02)
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 12:44:25 pm »
Nice new creatures! I also like your names.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 12:46:57 pm »

I try to go for names that would sound alien, yet not gibberish.

Offline WeatherMAN

• Sea Battler
  • ^ He's rocking out ^
    • View Profile
    • My Spore Creations!
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 12:54:59 pm »
Just commented on Jadaca which I believe, IMHO is your best work to date
Visit: My Spore Creations | My Sporepedia Profile
...Please Comment & Vote Them Up! Their may be cookies involved...
OK... so there aren't any cookies... do it because I have an undying need to get approval from people I've never me

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2008, 01:58:55 pm »

Also one of my new creations (the Ygurgan) just got epicised in the tribal stage, saw that on the myspore page in the CC, I really should look at that event thing more. :)

I had only made that creature a few hours ago and it got epicised already, lol :)

Edit: heh, looks like my Ygurgan is becoming a bit popular as an epic, well the first of my creatures AFAIK that have been epicised. I wish I could see the history of the events rather than the most recent. Its actually pretty fitting for a goblin-like creature.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 02:38:23 pm by smjjames »

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »
How big are epics? Are they epicly big? Also, congrats on getting an epic creature( think).

Let's hope that none of the explicit creatures get epic(that would be embarassing).

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2008, 01:03:15 pm »
Well, Ondaderthads thread shows an epicisized version of one of my creatures. That particular creature was about 1.83 meters, which is about 6 feet and in his screenshot, it looked like it was the size of a T-Rex (not sure about the scale in that screenshot). Of course though, normal sized creatures can be made a little over 4, maybe 5 meters tall, so bigger normal sized creatures should be larger. Just how much larger, I don't really know.

However, I think the CC doesn't show everything because Ondaderthad ran into a few of my own creatures in tribal and I didn't see anything about that in the events section of the CC.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2008, 08:13:12 am »
This is my last batch of creatures before I get Spore. I'm not sure if it will arrive today because the tracking thing said it left Ontario, California (which is east of LA) around 1 AM. Since it is like 3 hours or so from the LA area to San Diego, even faster by plane (even if its a small one), I hope it will arrive today. Its possible that it doesn't leave until like 7 or 8 AM. Anyways, ramble on, over, lets get to those creatures of mine.

Ygurgan

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames|2263061590%3Asast-500013286034

A goblin-like creature which has a clanlike social structure and often live in groups of up to and over 100 individuals. In hard times when food is scarce, they will break up into even smaller groups. Sometimes there are gatherings of over 1,000 or 2,000 individuals. It took quite a bit of tweaking to get the mouth the way I wanted it.

Evocarid

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames|2263061590%3Asast-500013424504

It uses the prongs on its arm both as a weapon and as an aid in grasping things. Initially, I had placed the arm on the head, but it kept going nuts and sometimes made the head jerk around, so I moved it back. A few animations are kind of wierd such as the one where you pop up the babies in test drive, on others, the arm sort of collapses on itself. They are unavoidable bugs really, but with the animation fixes, those should be minimized.

Cheliscrathi

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames|2263061590%3Asast-500013728232

I was going for something unusual and decided trying to place the mouths behind the head, but facing forward and made them look like some sort of wierd organ. There is a little bit of clipping with the mouths opening, but it is not easily noticeable and actually add to the strangeness of it.

Wucrala

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames|2263061590%3Asast-500014914522

The complex mouth evolved from a complex ring of tentacles that fused and developed into jaws. However it grinds up its food in a gizzardlike sack just behind the mouth. Some of the tentacles didn't get incorporated into the jaws. A few developed into sensory antennae while others developed into graspers.

The jaws of Hydros Nauceans evolved from tentacles, right? at least the false jaws did. So, there is a sort of parallel evolution going on here.

Aradoru

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames|2263061590%3Asast-500024520456

I decided that it had been a while since I had made any really big creatures, so I went and made this one. It mostly feeds on trees and the club-like organs on the sides of its head are olfactory sense organs.

Ancorta

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames|2263061590%3Asast-500025756683

They are found in the desert regions of thier homeworld. The tusks are generally used in sparring contests during mating season, but are also useful for defense against predators.

Eriawhoku

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames|2263061590%3Asast-500027353790

An amphibian that evolved into a similar niche as terran frogs.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:15:27 am by smjjames »

Offline Alvin Flummox

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (7 new creatures as of 9/08)
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2008, 09:59:35 am »
Some more great creations :) Aradoru is my favourite, the head design is really nice.

And thanks for your comment on my lobster lol :P
My Sporepedia. Please take a look and comment :)
Also, feel free to look at My thread