Author Topic: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures (7 new creatures as of 9/08)  (Read 13192 times)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Welcome to the Galactic Zoo! Species from worlds all over the galaxy are displayed here.

Here is my sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames

Here are my creations :) Feel free to comment on them or check out the sporepedia entries.

Bakkillak

Macroanomalcaris
This one is meant to be a sort of evolution of Anomalcaris. Also, this was my first creation using trial version.

Kerkaiiyh

Caylamon

Weaponmouth
Was experimenting with putting lots of weapons in the mouth area.

Cerebrak
Not one of my better creations, but pretty good for trial version and experimenting around.

Chiropeteraan
At first I was going for what a Jawa might look like without its hood and stuff on, but then I went on my own path. This little guy was actually one of my most popular creation for a little while. Also, following the line of sapien creatures that Hydro made (I saw them after I made this), this guy is probably the closest to a Chiropeterasapien as I got here, the Chiropetera bieng the bats.

Maxeye *Extinct*

Tree Mimic
Not all that beautiful or great looking as it was more of an experiment in making a tree-like creature.

Jnerrai
Attempt at a centauroid creature.

Deltaic Raptor

Alien Octopoid

XtremeExtendoarms
I was bieng silly with extreme limb lengths here.

Chirri

Bunch of 'fodderbeasts' that I made.

Daraykryt

Girikryn

Ignhurr

Habeliattoya

Ixicherr
Rough representation of one of my early ideas for a spore creature alien.

Gavapto

Klajerihor

Kilmortakasr

Kaidgelon

Land Shark

Larvaface

Manicton

Mirisskang

Jirikkong
This one is actually made from the Mirisskang body, I made the front section upright and added graspers.

Xenowasp

Wrsth
I was trying to make a wraith like creature and had trouble making the hood, also I origionally meant to name it Wraith, not Wrsth, but heck.

Vrini
insectoid herbivore.

Varokog
When this guy does the water spin animation in paint mode, it looks like he is spitting all over the place. An unintended, but funny, effect.

Trilaterrikin
Was going for trilateral symmetry, but the CCs built in symmetry worked against me with the legs, so I had to make do.

Skikurriped

Shark Leech

Nahiir

Mynirkessh

Mutant Horse
Was going along the lines of that two legged horse joke. Outwardly it does look like a few of Hydros creations, but really, the only commonality is a small body and having two legs.

Mortis Florae

Mntikerriss

Caladan SeaUrchin
This one is my latest as of today (7/15).

I have a few others up on the sporepedia, but these are the better ones.

Tank Herbivore
This one is actually an update of an older one I did. Origionally, I was playing around with how big I could make a creature. Also, look at the flip animation in CC (it's up on sporepedia), I refuse to believe something THAT big can possibly flip like that. When is the last time you saw an elephant do a backflip? It is a huge creature, fills up the entire workpad in build mode, probably comparable to Ovi's Scoopback.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:14:21 am by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Smjjames Galactic Zoo of Spore Creatures
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 09:43:53 am »
I know it's a double post, but it is my thread anyhow.

Just wanted to gently bump this thread and let people know that the first post is pretty much done. I don't know if I'll upload a larger pic for all of the creatures listed above, but I'll probably go and make some of my better creations.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 05:15:17 pm »
Hollowpom

Just a little something I thought of making last night as an aside to what I want to do. It's really just a weak herbivore. It could be tamed as a pet if that is possible. I know we can make domesticated animals into the equivalent of livestock. Although I did add a high social rating.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 07:28:37 pm »
Well ok, I need some help here, does anybody know how to make a good all around membrane like a jellyfish does?

This is my origional idea from way back:

Here is my attempt:
Land Jellyfish Prototype *Extinct

It is DEFINETLY not my best creation (this would rank as the worst, bleh >< ) as I had to use up nearly all of the complexity meter and this is what I managed to get. I'm not giving up on it just yet, there has got to be a better way of making a jellyfish-like membrane bell. It is possible that the design itself just doesn't translate well into spore.

Meanwhile, I'll take a stab at my other one, which I'm pretty sure will be doable.

*I decided to remove this one from my sporepedia as I was embarassed by it since it was a horrible creation compared to what I normally churn out.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:09:54 am by smjjames »

Offline Wonderful Lizard of Oz

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
    • Hall of Rejected Universes
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 07:38:48 pm »
Nice.  I like the Celebrak best.

Hey wait.  What's that "Attach" thing?
"And your little lizard too!"
-The Wicked Witch of the West

Error 658:There are lizards in your computer.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 07:45:26 pm »

What do you mean attach thing? If you mean the latest, the thing coming out of the bottom is the proboscis. It's supposed to be attached to the bottom of the creature but in the older drawing I made, the attachment point is hidden.

Offline Wonderful Lizard of Oz

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Release the gecko!
    • View Profile
    • Hall of Rejected Universes
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 07:45:51 pm »
I mean the thing that appears when I'm posting.
"And your little lizard too!"
-The Wicked Witch of the West

Error 658:There are lizards in your computer.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 07:48:18 pm »
oh that, it's to attach files to the post, but the file limit is so dang small that you have to use an image hosting site for images which are almost always too big for it.

Offline Skizzik

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 08:10:32 pm »
Cool creatures. I like Chiropeteraan. I have a soft spot for little creatures.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:02:48 pm »
thanks :) The Chiropeteraan was my most popular creature for a while.

Here is the next one I had mentioned about

This is the origional pic from way back:

Kataii'aan

The babies are pretty cute aren't they?

I had to make a few changes from the origional idea. Since I was having some trouble with the complexity meter, I made them a quadruped instead of a hexaped so that I could give them appropriate feet. It's a little chunkier than I wanted, but not a big deal. I also gave it a short tail due to conflict with the complexity meter. The animation is okay, except for when it shoots from its nose gland, the shooters jump right off the head. I had origionally planned to have a poison gland in its nose area and shoot poison or something out of two pairs of holes on the front. Also, the feathery antennae behind it's head are the equivalent of a nose, they can be withdrawn into specialized olfactory pockets.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 09:05:00 pm by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 09:42:06 am »
Tusked Savrip

I tried to make a pair of column like legs with the attachment point coming out of the middle which I saw on someones creatures. I forget whose, but it is on this forum section. However, they just didn't look right to me when I tried as the top part kept flailing around.

Anyways, this guy is supposed to be from a world with heavier gravity than earth. So it has evolved in a way that gave it a low center of gravity and thick legs. It is also an aggressive predator.

While the name savrip is from a star wars creature I think, it's not inspired by it.

Also, I'm updating the tags on all my uploaded creatures so that the gamingsteve tag is on there, just letting people know.

appreciate all the comments so far :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 10:48:06 am by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 12:56:57 pm »
I had always wanted to create a Gungan in spore.
Spore Gungan
I know it's not a unique one because there are like over 20 gungans on sporepedia, but I'm pretty sure this is the only Gamingsteve gungan so far :)

This is NOT the one I uploaded. I was looking around at the layers and noticed that this particular look made it look like it was wearing underwear. Just thought it was sort of funny.

This is the one I uploaded:

You guys are free to do whatever you want with it, mutate it, kill it, sacrifice it on an altar, do things that can't be said on a forum, eat it (with a carnivorous creature), or just make friends with them :)

Overall it's a pretty good recreation, although I had a hard time getting the ears right and they clip like crazy with many animations.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 12:59:06 pm by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 03:39:52 pm »
Dracoraptor

A reptomammalian predator of the grasslands on it's home planet. This one has an unusual joint archetecture in that the second joint are actually it's shoulders and hips (for arms and legs respectively). Initially I made this with a more pillar-like back legs, but then decided on something that would look a bit more agile looking. I also like the running animation for this one as it has a feline look to it, very appropriate for a predator.

This one I didn't actually save, I was just looking at how it would look standing upright because I'm hoping to do the dracoraptor in the creature stage. Once I get some 'brain points', I'll start evolving it towards bieng upright so that I can use graspers on it. It's also a very tall creature as I didn't change it's length or anything. Seems like it would be somewhere around 8 feet tall. I wish we had a dang measurement scale.

Rajihorn

I don't have many pure herbivores in my own collection (ones I made that is), so I decided to make one. It is also a reptomammalian which travels in herds. It's behavior is not much different from a wildebeest, but it does have an aggressive streak.

Swamp Hydaro

Kind of semi requested by Parkaboy since he liked the fodderbeast3, but thought it should have a name. Still, I couldn't just rename it and submit it as a clone, so I made a few changes to it and made it a relative of Fodderbeast3
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 04:42:27 pm by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 04:40:24 pm »
Xaadu

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500006885735
Copied from my description of it:
A semi-aquatic herbivore native to dense swamplands. The bulbs on its back are bioluminescent and can come in any color, depending on the color given off by the dominant 'firefly' color in a species home range. The most common color though is a yellowish white.

Some other stuff that I wanted to put in but didn't have room is that they can live in habitats outside of thier normal swamplands, but those that live there don't have bioluminescence. However, if those individuals are either fed swampland plants or are moved to a swampland in its known range, they do accquire bioluminescence. While the exact mechanism behind this is not known, it is suspected that a certain chemical found in plants that are only found in the swamplands is required.

Mallakaq

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500006885846

A tall giraffe-like herbivore native to its homeworlds savannahs. It's a really good creation IMO.

Caracallawk

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500006885824

An extremely intelligent avian creature, it is believed to be as smart as a chimp.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:42:53 pm by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 04:57:36 pm »
Chelicerakaii

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500006886252

An arachnoid. I wanted to have it be a metallic blue and make it look like it had an exoskeleton at the same time, but couldn't find a good combination.

Alderaan Crystalback Spider

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500006886270

I was playing around with various limb configurations and decided to try making one where all of the limbs origionated from a single point on the body. It's kind of hard to see the connection point in the pics and the pics themselves really don't show it in the best way. So I would recommend downloading it.

Jarobala

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500006885890

A creature of the deserts and pretty well adapted :) I actually used up alot of complexity making the long tail. I wish we could get our creatures to hop like a kangaroo or something because that is why I gave it powerful looking legs.

Bekukrag

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-smjjames%3Asast-500006886307

Its sort of an experimental creature, but I like the way it turned out. However the animation bugs make it look bad.