Author Topic: Gateway Game  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
Gateway Game
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:47:22 am »
Since spore covers so many phases similar to other games, do you think it will become a "gateway game" and cause people to try different genres outside of what they've tried before?

Or will they do the opposite and only play phases they're more familiar with?

Games like "bejeweled" and "the sims" are often blamed for introducing 'house wives' to gaming.  Will Spore introduce more "non-gamers" and casual gamers to games and other genres as well?

A couple people have mentioned this in threads before, but I don't think we've really discussed this beyond the scope of Spore. I don't expect to see an explosion of new Civ4 players for example, just because of Spore's civ phase. There might be people that go "hey, this kind of game is fun" and try some less-casual RTS style games though. What do you think?

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
Re: Gateway Game
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:52:37 am »
If the game handles these things the right way it's certainly a possibility. I can't really speak for myself though, since I've tried most or all of the genres that the game covers.

Even the big explore-space thing. Good ol' Space Rangers 2, tiding me by until Spore arrives and I can actually own some planets!
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
Re: Gateway Game
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 09:53:44 am »
I think you make a good point, however people may end up playing the same phase over and over again.  Particularly space, that seems to be the one people look forward to the most.  I hope that people will play through all the phases, not just the same ones.

Edit: This was directed at Zamaza
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:06:15 am by Kenotai »
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.