Author Topic: Comics,do you read them?  (Read 13500 times)

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
Re: Comics,do you read them?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 09:36:54 am »
If newspaper comics count, yes, I do read comics.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Sinfulwolf

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 06:35:34 am »
I know I'm bumping those topic huge, but there arn't too many active threads in this portion of the forum so...

I do enjoy comics/graphic novels. I don't really read the major Marvel stuff like the Hulk, Spiderman or X-men, or even DC like Batman or Superman. What I have really enjoyed is the Spawn series from Todd McFarlane, and the Witchblade series from TopCow comics (who also made the Comic the Darkness which inspired the videogame).

I've also been reading the Walking Dead, which is a zombie series of graphic novels, from Robert Kirkland (I believe that's his name, if I'm wrong then it was the guy who did Marvel Zombies which wasn't too bad a read).

The new series of Red Sonja have been really enjoyable as well. Good spin-off from Conan.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 11:44:56 am »
I've started reading comics based on Orson Scott Card's works (and Ultimate Iron Man, since he wrote those..)

Ender's Game: Battle School is one series, and Ender's Shadow is the other. Pretty good so far. I'm hoping to get them signed so they'll be another part of my OSC collection.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 12:42:24 pm »
I didn't think the Ender books would make good comics. Anyway, I've basically mostly read the classic French-Belgian comics. Tintin, Asterix, Valeron and some others. I've read one manga, Akira, and that blew me away. Can't wait to see what the Westerners do to it in the movie adaptation. Some of the scenes from that book are supremely cool and would look great on the big screen.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 04:30:17 pm »
I love Tintin and I think that if they can keep some of drinking, drugs, racism, and other kid-sensitive things in the movie...

Well...

I'd go and see it.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 05:37:12 pm »
this is random (well actually I think someone somewhere said something that made me think of it), but is anyone else tired of calling comics 'graphic novels'?
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 10:36:17 pm »
YES! Graphic Novel is a pretentious word made up by American publishers to justify to the 30+ year old nerds that they read Batman comics. In Europe, comics are much more respected, thus no such word is needed(we also don't like Batman, Green Lantern, Hulk, Ironman, or any of the other 1000+ Marvel/DC heroes that much). Um...yeah. Rant done.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 10:46:45 pm »
I always though a "comic book" was a single issue while a "graphic novel" was when they compile of a bunch of issue into a big volume book. I personally like the big volume versions since many read like a book as opposed to a "comic strip" or "cartoon episode". But its been awhile (since the late 90's) since have read any. So I have no idea how things are now with comic books. My favorite comics were "Bone", "Fathom", "Gen 13", "Battle Chasers" and "Danger Girl". As you can see I liked "Image Comics" over "Marvel" or "DC".

Gen 13 with Bone
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:52:32 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 11:37:41 pm »
How on earth did a super-powered teenager team up with Fone Bone to fight rat creatures? I have to read that comic!

And yes, I read comics. My favorites are the Bone series by Jeff Smith, the Scarlet Traces series by Ian Edgington and D'Israeli, and The Cartoon History of the Universe series by Larry Gonick.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Sinfulwolf

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 10:19:21 am »
I believe Hyrdomancer is correct. Comic is a single issue, but these days the comics are being compiled into a larger volume known as Graphic Novels. Using this instance, I have very few comics, because I wait until a chunk of issues are released into graphic novel format. Also, another difference I've noted, the comic issues have advertisements in them, whilst graphic novels do not, and many I've come across also have author introductions. So there are differences between them.

To be offended or angered by this and/or just use it as ammunition to bash North American culture is pretty low. Who really cares what they're called in the end. There's no need to justify reading them either, they have good stories in them, and good artwork.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 11:37:05 am »
To be offended or angered by this and/or just use it as ammunition to bash North American culture is pretty low. Who really cares what they're called in the end. There's no need to justify reading them either, they have good stories in them, and good artwork.

I don't have anything against GN's themselves (hell, I love comics!), and being American I'm certainly bashing N American culture...it just bugs me when people try using the term graphic novel because they think comics need justification
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 05:36:12 pm »

I agree with Opera. It's the fact that comics are considered base and childish when they can be just as mature as any book that bothers me most. There is a difference there between North America and Europe, I don't know the reasons. The US and Sweden did both have a period when comics where banned and burned, and when comics where blamed for youth corruption, so no difference there. And it was wrong to say us Euros don't read trashy comics!  :P See below.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2009, 07:34:15 pm »
How on earth did a super-powered teenager team up with Fone Bone to fight rat creatures? I have to read that comic!

It was a special 3 part 13th issue of gen 13. Grunge (the guy shown) had a funky dream where he visits a bunch of other comic characters from Hellboy, Spawn, Bone, TMNT and even Archie.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 05:10:46 pm »
Friggin' AWESOME.

I've just ordered the British 50s/60s sci-fi comic Dan Dare collection Marooned on Mercury on Amazon. The reviews say it's pretty good, so I can't wait for it to arrive.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.