Author Topic: What kind of animals exist?  (Read 17770 times)

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
Re: What kind of animals exist?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2005, 10:13:56 am »
Pandas? I know giant pandas don't eat meat, but the red panda is the only other panda I know and I didn't think they ate meat. What pandas are you talking about?

Genetically, pandas and raccoons evolved from the same ancestor. While the giant pandas themselves may not eat meat anymore, they're still members of Carnivora, even though they're not technically "carnivores".

That's why there's a difference between genetics and function - categorizing something with its ancestors is more scientific, while categorizing something by its abilities is more useful in a game like this - Spore is going to decide what you are based on your teeth, not what your mama's teeth were. Hence the comparison between the "evolutionary chart" idea someone mentioned, and how the Spore server will group our critters when populating an ecosystem - they both are useful in different ways.

It'll be a little annoying to see a world full of four-finned fish, four legged salamanders, and suddenly, six-legged mammals... or when you investigate a planet on the other side of the universe and discover a creature identical to one from your homeworld... but I can forgive a little scientific accuracy in exchange for some creative license. And who knows - maybe once the database grows big enough, they can modify the server to pupulate new planets even more accurately and believably - all on their end without changing a thing in our copies of the game!

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2005, 10:38:52 am »
Phew! I thought I was going crazy! You did say "carnivores" not Carnivora. Hence the confusion.

Speaking on the difference between genetics and function, do you know what the largest land mammal preditor ever was? Andrewsarchus. It was a hooved carnivore related to harses and rhinos. Sometime truth is stranger than fiction.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2005, 11:05:21 am »
Hooved predators... Tricordates... all the wonderful Spore possibilities ressurected from Earth's past... :)

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2005, 03:44:48 pm »
Yeah, maybe as an easter egg you can eventually run across a mini clone of Earth and its solar system!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2005, 04:11:12 pm »
Yeah, maybe as an easter egg you can eventually run across a mini clone of Earth and its solar system!

But with a caveman tribe! LOL!

Offline Elyas

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2005, 03:28:04 pm »

Are the solar systems and galaxies that are going to be created going to be random or will they follow our current knowledge about the universe?  I hope it's from our current knowledge because I've always wanted to visit Uranus *snicker*. 

But seriously, that would be a fun easter egg if after you got the ufo you searched the universe for our solar system and found human creatures on earth.

Offline sgore

• Marble Madness Maniac
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2005, 06:50:56 pm »
birds. you forgot birds. they're their own catagory. they lay eggs, have feathers not fur, and their's another thing i forget... But i know they have their own catagory.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2005, 07:42:16 pm »
birds. you forgot birds. they're their own catagory. they lay eggs, have feathers not fur, and their's another thing i forget... But i know they have their own catagory.

Avians are birds - i had avians on the list

Offline sgore

• Marble Madness Maniac
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2005, 08:05:12 pm »
I was talking about Efreet's list. didn't see yours. sorry.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Dake

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • All your SPORE are belong to us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2005, 12:44:17 am »
Someone was talking about making a pokemon world in the first few pages of the first creature post.

Yeah i was oneofem.. BUT i had also said id rathe rnot waste my time when i have better more original ideas...sorry i thought id point the finger...at me..

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2005, 10:42:13 am »
A pokemon world would be pointless because you couldn't give them special powers. It might be fun to visit, not create, a planet filled with them for a zoo.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Doc Z

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
    • The Movies Backlot
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2005, 11:02:43 am »
Well basically all your own custom animals are plainly said pokemon without powers. Seeing the effect they have on one another will be interesting to see and do.

Hehehe, if I can create my own buildings I'm definately building a colliseum for creatures to battle in :)
Sand is overrated, it's just tiny little pieces of rock.. - Joel / Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind -

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2005, 02:45:22 pm »
yeah... universe renowned colliseum where fighters are entered *cough* abducted *cough* and fight to the death... sounds fun
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.