Author Topic: City planet?  (Read 11033 times)

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
Re: City planet?
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2005, 07:07:55 pm »
A low-unng time ago. The on-ley thing I keep certain is that I'll never know certainty. Not even that is certain, hah.
Riot grrrrl!

Offline ZCloud

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2005, 08:52:18 pm »
Okay that is it no more shakesparean style writing or whatever the hell it is back to the real world k thx bye  ::)

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2005, 01:28:28 pm »
Hah. I have no real world to go back to. I'm stuck here, in a realm of shifting perceptions. I have an appetite for destruction, and I have learned to use my illusion. My own lack of control disturbs me, however.
Riot grrrrl!

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2005, 08:14:49 pm »
It's not Shakespearean, atleast not as far as I am concerned. Since when was proper english "Shakespearean"?

What is reality but an illussion? What is the real world but a preception of ever changing and often undeterminable variables? Destruction can only bring about rebirth, with out death and decay (in natural time) the world would grow stagnate and and die of suffocation. Is it really a disturbing lack of control or is it a fine tuned control of the disturbing? As long as you existence, or lack thereof, is known to you what else matters?

^ That's a bunch of philosophical mumbo jumbo about perception. Weee.

Anyway.. I still am not sure what to say on this... because there is a maximum weight and size a rocky planet can be.. and a city planet might actually force this beyond a certain point, depending on the size of the planet. I mean if you look at our earth as an example there is a tremendous strain on it especially around the fault lines... a City Planet based on Earth my wind up collapsing the planet or atleast causing massive earthquakes.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • EA = Electronic A*seholes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2005, 04:38:19 am »
Anyway.. I still am not sure what to say on this... because there is a maximum weight and size a rocky planet can be.. and a city planet might actually force this beyond a certain point, depending on the size of the planet. I mean if you look at our earth as an example there is a tremendous strain on it especially around the fault lines... a City Planet based on Earth my wind up collapsing the planet or atleast causing massive earthquakes.

This is very true. Perhaps after a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong period of research, your creatures will be able to produce a means of preventing quakes, or maybe developing buildings to have 100% resistance to quakes, thus enabling one to build a larger city - one which may engulf the planet

Or it could be that ole Will isn't including Quakes in Spore....I hope he is though, I wanna experience some natural disasters at some stage
dd/mm/yy

Remember, the Spore will be with you....one day

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Plusi - My SPOREPEDIA Page

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2005, 08:47:20 am »
The only loophole I see to that is the use of almost air-light building material.. and we have nothing like that on earth.. I mean maybe if we used Diamond instead of Steel... since Diamond can be massed produced cheaper then steel.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2005, 11:56:15 am »
What about attaching huge balloons to the top of buildings, thus reducing the buildings weight.

Or giant floating cities, like really big airships, that are teathered to the ground.

Or we could all move to the Moon, or Mars, where the gravity is 1/6th and 1/3rd less respectvely.

Remember, this is a game, so who knows. And I don't think they'll have tectonics in the game.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2005, 04:50:17 pm »
Probally be easier to research an alloy tech that increases molecular bonds, but pushes atoms further apart, thereby improving the strength of building materials but making them vastly lighter.....Nah, stick with balloons. If nothing else,  you're always ready for a party. ;D

Offline ZerGoth

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • German fanboy ;D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2005, 03:28:51 pm »
How about aerogel to construct the citiy planet?

http://www.gizmag.co.uk/go/1740/

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2005, 06:04:53 pm »
The only problem is it isn't a good structure builing material, exept mabye as insulation. I would love to see it in person though. (All the pictures make it look like the Aerogel was just added digitally.)

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2005, 11:21:31 pm »
As far as I can tell.. it was... it seems like a completely fictional site to me.. like TheOnion... but that's just me... you know... the sane one... :-p

#1: "I DO SAY OLD BEAN SHUT UP."
#2: "What'cha talking 'bout Willis?"
#3: "Will you to be quiet 'He' is trying to sleep."
#4: "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU ALL ON ABOUT! We're all the same person sheesh."
#1,2,3: "PARTY POOPER!"

Edit: Upon further inspection the site actually seems credible.. dear god help us... we have something that ACTS like air.. but ISN'T air... humanity has gone to far...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 11:34:54 pm by OpDDay2001 »

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2005, 11:57:24 pm »
Aerogel is definately real... try google.
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline Dake

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • All your SPORE are belong to us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2005, 03:03:13 pm »
Cityplanets...well once you get the ufo, im sure you can do whatever you need to the landscape to make way for your parkingstructur planet..lol(invader zim joke) and even if you cant fully load up your planet with iron and glass, then you can at least create a nice planet full OF cities. and if its resources and alot of cities to give you those resources that you're after, then i dont see why a whole planet of cities is going to do you any good because you'll just be depleting what your planet makes. why not take it from someone elses planets?. id say build like several cities on diff planets..your income will be alot more then one planet full of cities. and yeah im betting theres either a set amount of resources for a planet, or the resources grow at a slwoer rate then you can harvest them. so yeah. im sure there's some middle option that you will be able to settle with, which ever your goal is. man..i hope that helps. :-\

Offline Dake

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • All your SPORE are belong to us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2005, 03:07:13 pm »
I find the ignorance of humes exceedingly disturbing.

Why are all aliens portrayed as organic creatures with the same characteristics as one's self? This abomination was just disgusting in things like Star Trek.

Life can assume many forms. It can be something of flesh like ours. But even if, it does not mean they would walk on legs and have any tentacles or a head. Unless they were created by us. In which case they would be something cliche. The only thing I regret are the absences of elves and catgirls. They were the best kind of unrealistic aliens.

A creature of metals would make perfect sense and should be obvious. A common mistake is that it would be something like a hume made of steel. Though one can not be blamed for that mistake. And on silicon, do you realize that if you fall out of your chair with sufficient force, you could die yourself? But then again, creatures that have reached the needed level of evolution to create chairs surely have had enough safe-guards against such a simple and pointless death.

A life-form is not what you may think. It does not need mobility, a working internal support system, nor even a brain. All a lifeform needs is the ability to convert resources into copies of itself, as we do. Other unusable resources that could potentially be used for other lifeforms' progress should be converted into tools and other things that would aid our progress whilst also hindering the progress of others. I'm not sure what the reward for the winner is, but the entire race may be upgraded or something.

I can't wait until the actual war begins. That'll be a blast. Although sometimes I regret placing my bet with the humans.

I just have to point out...you say hume alot..referrring to humans. i did the same thing when i played FFXI. lol. BTW didnt mean to double post...i seem to be doing this alot..i tend to assume that there should be a post inbetween my 5 minute long thinking gaps. lol. plus im kinda new to forums..getting used to how they work. so PLEASE bear with me.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 12:40:56 am by Dake »