Author Topic: Interview: Soren Johnson - Spore's Strategist  (Read 9209 times)

Offline rob

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
    • MySporePage.com
Interview: Soren Johnson - Spore's Strategist
« on: July 11, 2008, 01:05:01 pm »
This is a very long 7 page interview with Spore's Strategist Soren Johnson who was the former Civ IV lead.

Read the full interview here http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3722/interview_soren_johnson__spores_.php

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Interview: Soren Johnson - Spore's Strategist
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 01:11:03 pm »
I really like Soren.  And I loved the interview.  The part about turn based games not being macho enough for publishers rang true.  Just look at Fallout 3.  Sigh...

Offline MageLite

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 01:51:14 pm »
Ach, we still have to unlock the later stages? I feel mor elike playing tribe and civ than cell and creature phases. They're different flavours of gameplay, why can't I just hop straight into them?

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 02:02:05 pm »
hmmm very interesting... he raised up... then later answered so many questions...

the last part was a very interesting talk about RTS games and the problems the genre faces in the future... they started talking about Spore... but then strayed into a completely different topic... but it was very interesting nonetheless

good find!!!

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:28:25 pm by HarvesteR »

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • the tiniest evil thing known to man and willosaurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 02:30:40 pm »
it sounded like he said that they were still getting some gameplay mechanics worked out, and that right now it's set up where you have to unlock the stage before you can play it, but that could still change.

might have been wrong though.
Quote from: ilikedirt
your spores are wack

Fatal Error: You're creature is crap. You're computer will now explode.

check out my sporepedia page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/vonboy

Offline greyarea

• Mystery House Madman
  • Chobox isn't happy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 03:21:53 pm »
Nice interesting read :)

Lippy, yeah I agree, F3 is going to be one crap fallout :P

vonboy: iirc they've chosen to have all of the editors available instantly but the game stages have to be unlocked sequentially.  They've made it easy to get through a stage if you just want to power through it though apparently.
A gamingsteve sporecast :)  (not comprehensive at all!)
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ssc-500012824849

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 03:22:36 pm »
it sounded like he said that they were still getting some gameplay mechanics worked out, and that right now it's set up where you have to unlock the stage before you can play it, but that could still change.

might have been wrong though.

Hasn't it been mentioned though that they will have built-in cheat codes for skipping phases if you want to?
"Ooh rabba la dee teeb, ooh babba labba squeeb!"

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 07:59:14 pm »
He confirmed that there are several difficulty levels to choose from and that the default is "Easy"

He also mentioned that on the Easy difficulty setting the game is more like a sandbox but that the higher difficulty levels will be for the more hardcore players.

The High difficulty levels will need to unlock each phase. But it looks like on Easy you will be able to jump into any phase.

Also that the "Special Powers" will only be earned if you play through the whole sequence at high difficulty.

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 10:00:06 pm »
Hasn't it been mentioned though that they will have built-in cheat codes for skipping phases if you want to?

Yeah, in the 1UP interview that was released a few days ago.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 10:02:53 pm »
Turn based games have thier place. E.G. board games.

I LOVE Worms 2. My fav game of all time.

Offline Kregaaron

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 10:20:22 pm »
I have to disagree with him that RTS campaigns tend to be compelling, I have often loved RTS single player campaigns, and loved getting the maps and playing them with AI players, (assuming the AI is good) like Sins of a Solar Empire.

Also, the question in regard to sandbox mode, by his answer it no longer seems the Space Mode goal is to be unlimited play..., but that could just be me.

Offline DARKNUT

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Nobody is perfect.I am nobody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 10:25:57 pm »
You will  have to face the grob (a race of sentient machines) in the space mode n order to finish it and reach the center of the galaxy
Never trust a computer you cannot throw from the window.

At last holidays.Time to go and meet new places

Offline Kregaaron

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 10:35:53 pm »
I know, but they said before you could play afterwards, and they always talked about how the space mode would be infinite in the sense you could play as long as you want in it checking out other user submitted material in the universe.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 07:14:38 am »
Really interesting read, However maybe it's just me, but his overall tone (at points) seems less than optimistic. Whether he's purposefully being vague and demure with his expectations, is under some NDA about talking to much about specific elements, or just has mixed feelings about the game, I don't know. However, I'm going to go full-throttle pessimistic and say that, for whatever reason, he is unhappy with certain aspects of the game. This isn't exactly a confidence booster for me, but I know I'll love Spore anyway.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 07:17:29 am »
I know, but they said before you could play afterwards, and they always talked about how the space mode would be infinite in the sense you could play as long as you want in it checking out other user submitted material in the universe.

Well, it wont be over just because you've completed the ingame objectives for the phase. You can still fly around and do whatever you want on top of that.
"Ooh rabba la dee teeb, ooh babba labba squeeb!"