Author Topic: Smash Bros DS?  (Read 7746 times)

gec05

Smash Bros DS?
« on: July 09, 2008, 09:23:24 pm »
There is definitely no solid plan to make a SSB sequel anytime soon since Brawl is only less than 7 months old. More than likely, we may not even see another one until the Wii 2. Sakurai once said during the beginning of development that Brawl would be the last of the series. However in a more recent interview, there we many ideas and characters still not revealed which were cut from Brawl. Unsatisfied, Sakurai does see the need to make a sequel. But until then I have been thinking of a DS approach and I think it is a very viable concept if executed properly. One thing is certain that it can't reflect all we know about the console series.

First and foremost, movement should feel as smooth as playing a Kirby game. Attacking may have to work similar to how Brawl plays on a Wiimote. But with the X and Y buttons you can have an extra level of complexity and accessibility, either as new forms of gameplay functionality or as alternative solutions to any touch screen gimmicks. As for the touch screen itself it should be limited to perhaps activating special moves or switching modes so that it doesn't become hectic. Gameplay should also be slower to help make touch screen use easy to do in a heated match. Mic screaming or blowing should not be used, better yet, in-game voice chat.

But here's how it stand out compared to Brawl. My idea is that they should have customizable moves for each of the characters. Sort of like Pokemon you can earn, teach moves, and swap them instead of erasing them. Sonic Battle had something like this where moves are earned and can be built into a custom move set of one particular character. These moves should borrow from any moves the character may have had in their own games. Like using Mario's raccoon tail from SMB3 for a new move instead of his cape. Or Link's chain ball from TP instead of bombs. Not to mention Kirby's many copy abilities. I'm just throwing this out there, but I was also thinking the scale of this game should be focused on 1vs1 fights than a crowd of 4 and should be named Super Smash Bros Duel. As for it's looks it should be unique from the series. It should still play on 3D stages, but the characters should be fully animated and highly detailed 2D sprites. That would be cool.

These are just my ideas for a DS version of Smash Bros. Maybe you have your own or would like to improve on others. Of course, this is all just wishful thinking if Sakurai is even considering a DS iteration. Your thoughts?

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
Re: Smash Bros DS?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 09:33:55 pm »
Meh.
Really, I would pay just to get an expansion-type version. DS is totally not my cup of tea, due to my DS's falling apart, with scratched screens, and broken hinges.
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 10:00:13 pm »
The problem with a DS version would simply be the size at least with duel screen you can have a close up of your character on one and a zoomed out version on the other so you can still see whats going on close quaters and also see the stage as a whole.

Having said that I dont think SSB can translate well to the small screen at all. Aside from the fact that each SSB has been bigger and better with more Characters more levels, more moves, more play modes, more everything the DS would be extremely watered down. Most likely carrying something like the orginal character line up something that will send us all deaf from cries "why no falco!" and such. Brawl was the definative version at least for now. I'd be happy if they decided to rest the series for a while maybe skip a generation let the game because a classic time in gaming history before bringing it back when there is the tech to make it feel like something more than a slight graphical upgrade and the inclusion of 2 new playables.

Plus hopefully by then Nintendo will have pulled their fingers out and have a decent online service going.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 10:07:27 pm »
The problem with a DS version would simply be the size at least with duel screen you can have a close up of your character on one and a zoomed out version on the other so you can still see whats going on close quaters and also see the stage as a whole.

Agreed. I can't even keep track of my character on a big screen LCD... the DS screen would be impossible! Unless, of course, the wide-screen DS is not a rumor. :P

gec05

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 10:13:32 pm »
I'm pretty sure stage scale should be kept small to keep the camera from zooming to far out. I guess you guys tend to imagine how Brawl would look on a DS screen when you really need to consider this isn't porting. It's built specifically for the DS in mind.

And just because it's on the DS doesn't necessarily mean it will have less characters than Brawl.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 10:47:03 pm »
I imagine they would have orginal levels and maybe some classic N64 era levels still even on say Final Destination All characters right next to each other for full zoom the game often looks like a massive cluster "bang". No matter how you look at it it wont work to much distance between the characters and the game is zoomed to far out and when you close quarters it becomes which green blur am I?

And yes it will have less characters cartidge space doesn't grow on trees you know. The N64 version doesn't have room for all those characters. Further case and point Mario Kart on the GCN has more characters than the DS version (Also Mario Kart is another game that could do with skipping a generation until they can do something new with it). The DS will be just a watered down version and they shouldn't be doing another SSB until they can build on what they already got not strip away stuff. I seriously don't think they can do anything new with SSB for a while now.

Offline ArkServer

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
    • Blushyface.com
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 09:46:04 am »
I do hope they release a portable version of it, i liked this game on the NGC that i played at my friends home :D

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 09:06:44 pm »
Small Sprites, Large level, Fixed Camera. I see no camera problems really...
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 08:07:02 am »
OK, first off;
I worked for a short time with a team who were making a home-brew version of smash brothers for the DS. This was long before brawl was announced.
The game, I think, was put into hiatus, but with enough backing i'm sure it could be picked up again (the code, sprites and sounds are all still there)

Other than that-

I agree with the 'smash brtohers duel' idea - 1v1... it'd be a much better setup for the system.

I'd say no to sprites (too limiting) but yes to low-rez 3D models.

I think it'd be interesting to allow a choice between fixed camera, dynamic camera (the current version), close-up camera (stays centered on your fighter) and optional fight stats on each screen.
This would allow players to play the game how they want to, and it doesn't matter as each player has their own screen.

I think using the 'close up' on the lower screen would also allow for the stylus to be used to attack.

On top of it all, the game should be condensed. You can get far more use out of most of the stuff in it anyway.
For example; why have so many items?

First off; X and Y should be used for item usage. L and R can be combined into shield, dodge and grab (although i'd make it so that grab came after dodge - it's be quite cool to combine a rolling dodge and a grab to make a grapple, pulling your opponant down to the ground with you)
Picking up an item with x/y makes the character 'hold' it, but not use it. Picking up most items with an attack will do the same, with some exceptions.

Food, tomatoes and heart containers can be picked up with melee attacks, but if picked up with x/y they can be held (saved for later), or even thrown off the stage. They are 'activated' on pressing Y, and thrown with X.

Keep green shells and capsuals. If you pick them up they become melee weapons - slowing your attacks but dealing extra damage. X/Y throws them.

Keep the scope, lazer and fireflower - using x/y 'shoots' them (or throws them when empty). Using a melee attack whilst holding them does extra damage (blunt and flame respectivly), and using a projectile attack incorperates them (so firing them both at the same time)

The metal suit, hammer, shooting star and screw attack can applied instantly with an attack, or held for later. Holding the hammer uses it as a slow melee weapon, but isn't as powerful as activating it. The star, if held, can be activated either in the classic way (fly up, crash down) or like the dragoon (fly away, short time to aim, but less damage). Mushrooms are the same, and no longer activated on touch.

The beamsword, fan, homerun bat and gooey bomb stay as is. X/Y throws them.

No need for larger containers.

There should only be one hero and one villain from each series. I know this rules out some great characters, but it means there will be less clones and more space.
However, extra costumes can be unlocked, which change the stats and some attacks of characters. The exception of the rule would be Zelda; as Gannondorph would be CptFalcon's costume.

For example;
Luigi becomes a costume, but his movement and attacks are still different.
Bowser's costume could be a smaller Petey Piranha; flames replaced by sludge, or Wario (because his current attacks aren't amazing, and buttstomp would be a great move for him).
Zelda/sheik could have Tetra (who's transformations would be between her pirate and princess self - the pirate's attacks would be similar to sheik's ninja skills, but piratey =D The standard special could be a quickshot pistol, for example) to keep up with link/toon link.

Stage wise; with the exception of final destination, keep them roughly Battlefield size and gameboy/DS related (e.g. yoshi's story, wariowear, toon ship, mario bro's scrolling map, game and watch etc)

gec05

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 08:35:49 am »
However, extra costumes can be unlocked, which change the stats and some attacks of characters. The exception of the rule would be Zelda; as Gannondorph would be CptFalcon's costume.

For example;
Luigi becomes a costume, but his movement and attacks are still different.
Bowser's costume could be a smaller Petey Piranha; flames replaced by sludge, or Wario (because his current attacks aren't amazing, and buttstomp would be a great move for him).
Zelda/sheik could have Tetra (who's transformations would be between her pirate and princess self - the pirate's attacks would be similar to sheik's ninja skills, but piratey =D The standard special could be a quickshot pistol, for example) to keep up with link/toon link.

This really isn't a reasonable way to put things. Might as well keep the characters as they are.

Offline Szaifedias

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 06:20:26 pm »
I know what he meant, but it had to be made on Brawl. A DS version isn't very plausible  8)

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 09:59:36 am »
Costume change accounting to different attributes would be interesting, to certain characters however not everyone. I'm mostly speaking on Links part since originally his suits had different advantages depending on the situation.

It could work like this:

Red Tunic: Resistance to fire damage
Blue Tunic: Resistance to Ice and Swimming ability enhanced for a longer swim time and distance
Gold Tunic: Has reflective properties against certain projectiles.

Same could be said for snake as some of his camo would be good in certain areas and some not, that's my 2 cents anyway.
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Szaifedias

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 02:59:27 am »
Yes, but what I also think is to unlock Zora Link, Goron Link & Fierce Deity Link as costume for young link for example. And maybe a story with really good animations, very perfectly music (I mean THEY HAVE NOBOU UEMATSU !!!!) and all the game feeling of the old GCN games and those.

And there people also can find the Zora, Goron and Fierce Deity Links as toon in the Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass parts of the story. So the story mode don't have to has a really detailed map and only new enemies. There also could be the old Adventure Mode back with many variants to choose, Melee Adventure, New Adventure, Retro Adventure and N64 Adventure or something.

With the costume goodies I meant also some cool styles with attributes, but also some extra characters or forms like Ganandorf, Ganondorf with Sword, Ganon Ghost & Gano or Skull Kid, Majoras Mask, Majoras Incarnation & Majoras Magician. It would be all possible if they will made another Smash Bros. or an extension for Brawl, without telling some medial bastards about it!!! So they can work hard on it without medial pressure and have fun on it. And then if they invested real worth time in it, it would be the greatest and most innovative Retro Fighter evaa, with good 3D-Graphic revolutionary fighting system and those.

That's my point, and that's not really possible on NDS, there will be a good extra version with N64 graphic and some good techniques and something.

lG, Szaifedias

Offline TheCheerioEffect

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 10:35:30 am »
I'd say no to sprites (too limiting) but yes to low-rez 3D models.

Wha-what?

Oh, you're one of those people who think that sprites are ugly. Right.

Nice looking sprites>>>>>>>>>>>Crappy 3D models any day of the week.

The N64 is a much less visually appealing system to me than the SNES.
I'm here to chew ass and kick bubblegum.