Poll

If you could buy a new monitor for Spore, how big would it be?

A tiny cell phone screen
2 (2.7%)
A small laptop screen
0 (0%)
15"
0 (0%)
17"
3 (4.1%)
19"
11 (14.9%)
22"
15 (20.3%)
24"
9 (12.2%)
26"
1 (1.4%)
30"
3 (4.1%)
A movie screen baby, yeah!
30 (40.5%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: The Spore Screen  (Read 6823 times)

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
Re: The Spore Screen
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 01:47:04 am »
in our most prominent cinema complex here in belgium they often offer game time, I'm not sure if they would only be able to connect playstation (it's kind of a colaboration for them because they all have ps2/3's in their lobbies).

ANyway, if you can also choose a PC game i'd like to go and play spore for half an hour :P

ps: ,

upstairs i have my professional music pc and that screen is 19 inch, seems tiny now lol

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 01:50:41 am »
hehe, i actually didn't respond to the actual question.

I tool 24inch and not wider because it actually made no sense for me personally, as I have a visual disability, the purpose of big screen to me is not really to "fill" the room with anything, because you guys will often be able to sit back and watch your pc game, while I need to remain close by. (had to get used to the fact that these things are damn bright those days). It's maybe set to 1/3th of it's max brightness , I would just burn my eyes off i think , lol

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 03:13:04 am »
It works fine in my native resolution 1280 x 1024. Think it will work in any resolution your monitor supports if your graphics card can handle it.

Personally I think really big flat screens aren't a great idea, try playing Crysis on a 28 inch flat screen at native resolution if you like slide shows.

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline WeatherMAN

• Sea Battler
  • ^ He's rocking out ^
    • View Profile
    • My Spore Creations!
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 06:16:09 am »
My gawd... this thread is just begging for a "That's what she said" outbreak... *tries to contain himself*
Visit: My Spore Creations | My Sporepedia Profile
...Please Comment & Vote Them Up! Their may be cookies involved...
OK... so there aren't any cookies... do it because I have an undying need to get approval from people I've never me

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 08:12:26 am »
I have noticed that spore is wide screen compatable...  I think I wouldn't go past 27-30 just because at some point it can and will look bad because the detail can only go so far without eating a computer alive.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 09:25:39 am »
I have a second hand projector I'm planning to fix up for uni - the dorm's walls are white so I could get away with hooking it up to my PC =D

Will be good both for games and any computer 'home'work I get... And of course movies.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 10:25:46 am »
22" is more than enough, believe me ;)
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 06:17:54 pm »
I have a second hand projector I'm planning to fix up for uni - the dorm's walls are white so I could get away with hooking it up to my PC =D

Will be good both for games and any computer 'home'work I get... And of course movies.

That should be cool! Tell us how it works out if you do.

Offline Skizzik

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 07:41:09 pm »
22" is more than enough, believe me ;)

That's what she said.  ;D

sorry, had to.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:43:12 pm by Skizzik »

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 10:55:27 pm »
Well I find the bigger your screen, the more you have to turn up your resolution. The bigger the screen, the bigger the pxels. on my dads 14" monitor, you cant see any pixels at 1200x960 rez. but on my 21" LCD Monitor I cant stand the pixels I see at 1600x1200 res. With a projector the pixels would be ginormous.

Offline Miclee

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 08:16:53 am »
19", 1600x1200 resolution is perfect. Can't see the pixels. :D

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 08:33:39 am »
I have a 22" atm ^^
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Markonite2

• Mystery House Madman
  • Got Souls?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 10:12:39 am »
I roll with a 24" wide screen.
I like wide screen.
It makes my desktop seem massive.
Plus there is extra room for my toolbars and such.
'Streets of Spore': where you drive around in a low-poly world doing missions that don't relate to the game whatsoever...

The sig is like a fig. But really, who will triumph?
The almighty Ham, or the magical Spam, which lives in a can. - Anthony Reubon

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 10:23:32 am »
I have noticed that spore is wide screen compatable...  I think I wouldn't go past 27-30 just because at some point it can and will look bad because the detail can only go so far without eating a computer alive.

actually... i found that the creature creator... or Spore for that matter, does support widescreen resolutions (or any resolution your adapter can handle)... BUT, it is vertical -

vert- means that as you widen up the screen, the game is not giving you more picture on the sides, but instead it is enlarging the default aspect ratio and cutting the tops and bottoms...

so although Spore supports widescreen, it is not TRUE widescreen... as a true wide game woud be Hor+, giving you more field of view as you widen up your screens...

that really blows for me... since i was hoping to play Spore in it's full glory on 3 19" monitors, hooked up to work as one through Matrox's Triple Head device... but when i crank up the resolution to fill all 3 screens (3840x1024), the field of view gets so tunneled i can't even see the creature i'm supposed to be making...

i spent some time digging around config files and console commands, but didn't find anything that could make Spore go Hor+, or simply increase the FOV (which has the same effect)

so for now, i'll have to stick to playing Spore like a normal human being on only one monitor.... until some FOV Hack comes along (here's hoping)

Cheers

Offline Markonite2

• Mystery House Madman
  • Got Souls?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 10:55:53 am »

actually... i found that the creature creator... or Spore for that matter, does support widescreen resolutions (or any resolution your adapter can handle)... BUT, it is vertical -

vert- means that as you widen up the screen, the game is not giving you more picture on the sides, but instead it is enlarging the default aspect ratio and cutting the tops and bottoms...

so although Spore supports widescreen, it is not TRUE widescreen... as a true wide game woud be Hor+, giving you more field of view as you widen up your screens...

that really blows for me... since i was hoping to play Spore in it's full glory on 3 19" monitors, hooked up to work as one through Matrox's Triple Head device... but when i crank up the resolution to fill all 3 screens (3840x1024), the field of view gets so tunneled i can't even see the creature i'm supposed to be making...

i spent some time digging around config files and console commands, but didn't find anything that could make Spore go Hor+, or simply increase the FOV (which has the same effect)

so for now, i'll have to stick to playing Spore like a normal human being on only one monitor.... until some FOV Hack comes along (here's hoping)

Cheers

So how do most games you play run on three monitors?
Just curious.
Like an RPG or RTS for example.
'Streets of Spore': where you drive around in a low-poly world doing missions that don't relate to the game whatsoever...

The sig is like a fig. But really, who will triumph?
The almighty Ham, or the magical Spam, which lives in a can. - Anthony Reubon