Author Topic: Warning! If you don't want your IP to become public, don't upload at Youtube  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Absinth

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Check out my creatures on the sporepedia
I was surprised to see this article, on Youtube's own blog, about a court order that Youtube received, to produce viewing data from their database towards Viacom, including usernames and IP addresses.
Since we can upload videos with the Creature Creator i think this info should be known to everyone here who might use this option.
Seems like this is not only limited to uploading but also to what we watch on that site.
It's not that i have something to hide but I'm utterly unhappy about this, not to say disgusted.

http://www.youtube.com/blog

Spore has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men.

My sporepedia page
My gamingsteve creature page

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
MAH PRONZ! THEY WILL FIND MAH PRONZ! D:
the real saviour of this forum

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
My IP changes everytime I reset my router so I got nothing to worry about either way.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
Well, let's say you created something copyright infringing. Perhaps a Pikachu. And let's say that Nintendo or whoever were upset at you doing this. They could get at your IP address from YouTube, then get your ISP to provide information on who was using that IP address at the time the video was uploaded (depending on your country). And then they could send the Pokemon Copy Protection Hitmen out to take you down.

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
You as a user of the Spore CC can't really get introuble for making copyrighted material because you aren't profiting off it. Maxis/EA might be able to, even if they didn't make you makes those things (See CityofHeroes vs Marvel).

The court wants that info for people who are uploading Hollywood movies, TV shows, ect illegally. They want general info on how many people are looking at copy-written material vs non-copyrighted material. This isn't like the music industry trying to track you down for downloading MP3s.

General viewing information to determine the proportion of views on YouTube of copyright infringing content vs. non-infringing content.

Since IP addresses and usernames aren't necessary to determine general viewing practices, our lawyers have asked their lawyers to let us remove that information before we hand over the data they're seeking.

Offline Len84

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
Well, let's say you created something copyright infringing. Perhaps a Pikachu. And let's say that Nintendo or whoever were upset at you doing this. They could get at your IP address from YouTube, then get your ISP to provide information on who was using that IP address at the time the video was uploaded (depending on your country). And then they could send the Pokemon Copy Protection Hitmen out to take you down.

I'd just say "Sorry, haven't heared of Pokemon. I just made that creature up. Its purely a coincidence."

Its up to them to prove otherwise, surely :)

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
It would be less of a disappointment getting a visit from the Pokemon Copy Protection Hitmen if they were obliged by Nintendo to dress up as Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee and Hitmontop. You'll be laughing as they hit you copies of Pokemon Platinum.

I don't really care, as I subscribe to 'Nothing to hide, nothing to fear'. Plus, if you make Pokemon, or Digimon and upoad it to YouTube, you deserve everything you get. Be creative!

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
I'd just like to point out that it's too late to warn people now, because according to the articles I read about this on thursday they were ordered to give the IP's - not just of people who upload or watch any youtube video's in the future... but also any logs they have of all people who's done so in the past. So if you have ever watched a video on youtube your IP will be revealed during the trial going on.

...also it's worth to note that the judge who ordered those logs revealed during trial expressly stated that they must only be used for the purpose of this trial.

Source:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/03/google_to_turn_over_youtube_database/

PS: For the record I'm not establishing a case one way or the other. I'm with this post neither endorsing nor condemning what's happening. I'm just furnishing you with the facts as I've found them.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 07:57:57 am by Necrox »

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
Users aren't on trial here, try this article: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-9983631-93.html

Viacom will be guilty of contempt of court if it uses that data for anything other than specifically proving the prevalence of piracy on YouTube

A heavy protective order is in place that will keep individuals' personal information cloaked. Viacom, therefore, is forbidden from targeting individual users in the manner of the RIAA's lawsuits against individuals found to be downloading illegal music.

Offline Absinth

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Check out my creatures on the sporepedia
No matter how they will use it, it sure surprised me that a company as big as Youtube (actually owned by a bigger company "Google") gives away personal information.
Most Europeans their private and personal information is protected by their country's law, so how will they pull that one off, since this is based on a American court order?
Here in my country any personal info can only be acquired by a warrant from court, if one is already under investigation for a crime, otherwise it's a violation!
Not sure but i even think that this is protected by International law.
And when i registered at Youtube 2 years ago, i never saw a disclaimer stating that they would reveal my IP and/or surfing behavior to other company's or organizations!
Again not that i have anything to hide, but it sure is scary if this becomes the future policy of Internet company's.
Spore has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men.

My sporepedia page
My gamingsteve creature page

Offline Coldron

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
Dont even bother, they order Google to hand the database over, they never said how it was supposed to be handed over - so viacom got the raw database therefore i doubt they will even use.

Its simply another company with too much money - and anyways, most people who might be watching illegal content that viacom is out to get - they cant do anything because everyday someone else uses that IP as most ip's are dynamic

another point is that if they do sue anyone for watching a video - which in my opinion is PATHETIC they can only do it in the USA, if they do it in another country they have to pay lots of money as they have to sue you by the laws in your country.

Ive already received a lawyers letter from the USA from a company, i threw it in the bin as that law they were suing me with doesn't exsist in my country and ... there is no similar law here which they can use against me...

So dont even worry ... Viacom is being a pathetic money happy company again

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
i woudn't worry about it too much... at least for people with dynamic IPs... your IP address will change everytime you reset your modem... and if you're behind a router, it's not even your PCs IP address that's being recorded...

IPs are not personally identifiable in most cases... i think only you ISP would actually know who you are based on IP... and they don't usually give that kind of information away... especially since no ISP is involved in this whole charade...

this is a ridiculous demand proposed by people who don't understand squat about technology...

i wound't lose much sleep over this ;)

Cheers

Offline Allch Chcar

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • City of Refuge
Yeah, most people don't use a dynamic IP. That requires a monthly fee. But the IP does give out alot of "Geographic" and loc details.

They can not sue you for watching or handling copyrighted material. The law only applies to distribution of copyright material or illegal selling of copyrighted material. Viewers stats will be the most they get out of it.

There are better elaborations on this issue. They care about what people are watching, but not much about you.

They're not going to find individual info in Youtube's database anyway, unless they were already looking for you. Then they might get the info they need to press charges. But it could just be a mad grab to get info on the statistics of their copyrighted material being uploaded/watched.
No Ph34r.
~ |CoR| Sgt-Allch Chcar*XP*