Author Topic: Genders?  (Read 3394 times)

Offline DARKNUT

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Nobody is perfect.I am nobody!
    • View Profile
Genders?
« on: July 05, 2008, 12:07:12 am »
Do you know wether there will be genders in spore. I mean for creatures.

Never trust a computer you cannot throw from the window.

At last holidays.Time to go and meet new places

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
Re: Genders?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 12:08:16 am »
No. They're all of hermaphroditic. I forget where they said it, but the developers have confirmed that.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 12:09:40 am »
I'm sure they'll propably include genders in some future expansion pack or something.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 12:10:11 am »
Do you know wether there will be genders in spore. I mean for creatures.

I believe they have said no genders. The only reference to gender is mating. But that could be done a number of ways; such as with male and female, or hermaphroditicly, etc. Nothing is specified other than you need to call for a mate to reproduce and all species look the same. Thus no sexual dimorphism.

No. They're all of hermaphroditic. I forget where they said it, but the developers have confirmed that.

They could be male and female but there would be no physical differences shown. Or even asexually with a gestation gender. Meaning one species makes a replica of itself by self fertilization and then gives the fertilized egg to one with no gender who just grows the egg until it can lay it but gives no DNA of its own to the offspring..
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 12:13:34 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 12:14:58 am »
Ok..well, no secondary sexual traits, and internal genitalia then.

Either way, no visible differences.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 12:17:32 am »
Ok..well, no secondary sexual traits, and internal genitalia then.

Either way, no visible differences.

Well if they did have visible genitalia (or were genitalia creatures) would appear as the same. :P Such as in bird's cloaca.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 01:29:20 am »
I doubt they will be in an expansion.
As I understand it they haven't left them out because of technical difficulties, but in order to prevent problems with situations/creatures that some might want to have censored.

I respect their choice, but I think it's a loss since male/female interactions, rituals and differences is such a big part of existance and society for so many species on earth.

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 06:11:21 am »
Think how frustrating it could be if you couldn't find a member of your species of the correct gender :P Or if you killed off all of one gender...

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 09:04:46 am »
For the sake of simplicity, no there arent.

Think of it this way : At a glance, how often can you tell the difference between a male and female pet?
We cant tell the difference without very deliberate scrutiny in real life, and the same is assumed to apply in Spore. We cant tell which are male and female, but our creatures can. When finding a mate, the one you stumble on is always assumed to be the appropriate gender.

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 09:22:50 am »
Given how many problems creating seperate genders for our creatures would make, both from a procedural programming point of view, and a "keeping a T for teen rating" point of view, I can't say I blame EA/Maxis one bit for making creatures gender neutral in appearance. Probibly the same reason they made all creatures lay eggs, even ones meant to look/be mammalian.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 09:49:55 am »
I would describe Spore as "Agnostic" on the issue of gender.  They don't provide any information on a creature's gender (except it just takes 2 to mate).  They don't make the genders look different (which was a reasonably choice as others have pointed out).

The player is free to imagine that his creatures have whatever sort of gender that the player wishes.  Which goes along with the game philosophy— it's not about imposing a story much beyond what is necessary as part of the game rules

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 10:30:12 am »
The gender question is left as an open question.  In other words, the game never assigns a gender making it up to the user to create the story of how that works.

Offline Captain Indigo

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 10:37:06 am »
It's been confirmed that there's no genders.

Otherwise it would just get too confusing - think of how hard it is to tell apart something common, like male and female cats - it's be 1000x harder with mutant space octo-lizards like you can make in spore >_>

^^Click^^

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 10:53:51 am »
The gender question is left as an open question.  In other words, the game never assigns a gender making it up to the user to create the story of how that works.

Hmmm... I like your approach at the question.
It has the same gist as the silent protagonist, good example is Link.
He never speaks clearly audible words, but he has keen facial expressions and the actions you do in the world affect it accordingly. Since he can't speak you can guess what he's thinking therefore creating a story.

But that's just my take on it, that is a very good way of making the world your own though.
It's fun :)
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇´)人(´∇`)人(`∇´)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 05:35:02 am »
I can agree with the openness of the gender neutral storytelling mechanic, but it'd still be nice if they'd have had an option to have sexual dimorphism. Perhaps it'd overcomplicate things or something, I don't know. If it's even vaguely to do with political correctness or whatever, though, then the world is even more mad than i thought.  :P

Think how frustrating it could be if you couldn't find a member of your species of the correct gender :P Or if you killed off all of one gender...

That reminded me of the Dodo scene from Ice Age where one turns to the other and says, "There goes our last female...."  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BONgAIBlb4A
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.