Author Topic: Chrono Trigger DS  (Read 26710 times)

gec05

Chrono Trigger DS
« on: July 02, 2008, 11:49:27 pm »
Might as well have a dedicated discussion about it. Arguably one of the most highly acclaimed RPGs out there that still hold a large supporting fan base. If you are not familiar with it, Chrono Trigger was a game created by Squaresoft (as it was once called) for the SNES. The game was probably the first to introduce multiple endings in an RPG determined by you decisions or what plot-related side quests you have accomplished. It also sported an imaginative storyline of various tales scattered across multiple eras of time ultimately leading up to the main plot where they try to change the future of their world from a destructive menace. You can form a team of 3 out of 7 total heroes that join you during your quest through time, each with their own special techniques and great character development. They can even do double or triple techniques with certain combinations of heroes. The game has an excellent soundtrack that has been heavily remixed even today. And it was probably the first game (if not, Dragon Quest) to feature the art style of the now exhausted Akira Toriyama of the famed Dragon Ball series. The game certainly carries a lot of common RPG clichés, but it THE best clichéd RPG out there and you must try it.

As what was so far revealed for this new DS port, it will include touch interfacing, a new dungeon, and local multiplayer battles we can expect a simple and solid remake. If it is received well it may even encourage a much needed and more proper sequel.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger DS
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:55:07 pm »
they are redoing the music too :)

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 04:30:42 am »
... and I'll be ordering it from the USA the moment it is released because it never ever got an Australia release not even to this day.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 04:30:00 pm by Cobra »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:39:08 am »
So uh... did you copy that directly from Wikipedia or is it just a coincidence? :P

This game needs no introductions, just buy it and hope they don't screw it up. The new dungeon seems like an interesting move. I'm throwing spoilers out here now so don't read if you are one of the three people that hasn't played Chrono Trigger. It'd be very cool if the new dungeon took place in 1999 AFTER you save the world. The one thing I always wanted to do was see the futuristic world in all of its glory. With any luck they'll be able to tie it into the main story.

Now this multiplayer function is kind of dodgy... as long as it doesn't interfere with the main game they can do what they want; however, if it is some kind of battle thing I'm not quite sure how it would work. Unless they add custom characters with custom attacks it would be very boring after a few fights because there aren't that many characters.

Also I think remixing the music is a mistake, the soundtrack does not need any major overhaul. Perhaps making it clearer and crisper but beyond that, nothing needs to be done. It's just too risky.

gec05

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 10:42:26 am »
I figure the same should be done about the music. Just update it with better samples, or even orchestrate it just enough to where it sounds the closest to the original.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 06:22:19 pm »
We have a trailer!

It's the same video that is up at the Japanese site so if you've seen that you've seen this. Looks... faithful?

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 06:46:03 pm »
Well, I still want a remake.

Though I will get this the first chance I get. Who knows when my SNES cartridge will go out.

EDIT: What I really wish they'd re-release on DS is Secret of Mana. That game is tops.
The rest of the series blows ass though.
That's not an opinion either. It's simple fact.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 06:53:13 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 07:03:38 am »
Secret of Mana was fun but gamers nowadays are wimps and hate hard games.

Here are some screen shots! Do you notice anything different?

gec05

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 07:40:52 am »
Nope.

Looks like that will be a slight "remastering."

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 05:29:11 am »
Awesome. I guess I will have to crack and get a ds.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 09:44:03 am »
Hm... hope they bring Chrono Cross to the DS to at some point.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 06:44:01 am »

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 07:08:16 am »
ha...i dont care...i'll just get the US version  ;D

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 04:31:39 pm »
Same Chrono trigger can wait 15 years to make to to Australia (Actually that's probably about how long it is taking seeing we never got the console version). I wont care I can import the day you Yanks get it. It will be much cheaper this way to.

It's Wii games and Rock band that rubs me the wrong way.