Author Topic: Technical questions  (Read 1762 times)

Offline SimEarth Freak

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Trichordates are now sentient
    • View Profile
Technical questions
« on: July 02, 2008, 07:45:11 pm »
I'm in the process of building my new computer at the moment.  I'm going to use this computer for a lot more than Spore, so I'm building it with the best components possible.  However, I want it to be a peak performance Spore machine, so I have a couple of technical Spore questions.  Hopefully some of the more technically minded forum members can help me!

(1) I will be installing a high end graphics card in my machine, specifically I want to install an ATI 4850.  However, I note Spore does not list the ATI 4000 series, the GeForce 9000 series, nor the GeForce 200 series as supported cards.  Does anyone know if Spore will have been tested on these cards at the time of release?  If not, how confident can I be that my new computer will be able to run Spore?

(2) From the very limited contact that I've had with the Creature Creator demo, I see one of the graphics settings is labelled "Graphics Cache Size".  It allows the user to select a number between 256 and 4096.  What is graphics cache exactly?  Is "graphics cache" stored in RAM memory?  If so, how much RAM should I install in my computer so that I can have the maximum graphics cache?

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
Re: Technical questions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 07:58:00 pm »
(1) I will be installing a high end graphics card in my machine, specifically I want to install an ATI 4850.  However, I note Spore does not list the ATI 4000 series, the GeForce 9000 series, nor the GeForce 200 series as supported cards.  Does anyone know if Spore will have been tested on these cards at the time of release?  If not, how confident can I be that my new computer will be able to run Spore?

1) Spore probably wasn't tested with either of those cards, however they are backwards compatible. Just because the card is superior to what the game can recognize/needs, doesn't mean it won't work. In this case, those cards would just run at a lower setting and use less of it's total power. Which is a good thing. Although you can Override the games Default Values through use of the control panel (for ATi's at least, though I don't see why nVidia wouldn't allow the card to take control). You can have about, and this is being extremely pessimistic, an 80% confidence in either of those cards working in Spore on release. 100% after either a new Driver update or a Patch. If by some slim chance they do not work, a fix is usually pretty quickly issues for those things.

(2) From the very limited contact that I've had with the Creature Creator demo, I see one of the graphics settings is labelled "Graphics Cache Size".  It allows the user to select a number between 256 and 4096.  What is graphics cache exactly?  Is "graphics cache" stored in RAM memory?  If so, how much RAM should I install in my computer so that I can have the maximum graphics cache?

Depends on the Operating System, since you're building a New PC, my guess is Vista is going to be the OS. In this case you'll want at least 2 gigs, though get as much as you can. The more RAM, the less Windows needs to depend on the PageFile. Speaking of which, I don't really believe that the CC is cache the graphics into RAM, but rather creating a type of Cache File, or PageFile. I say this because having only 1.5GB of RAM and having the cache set to 1024MB (1GB) doesn't really do anything, I mean in the way of causing bottlenecks or lagging significantly. My RAM usage doesn't seem to change much either, though I've not stared at the Task Manager with the CC open, as I'm usually busy tinkering with the CC itself.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Asheron2K

• Microvision Master
  • Rolling again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 08:16:00 pm »
I think the graphics cache setting says how big this file can be
Code: [Select]
G:\Documents and Settings\[account name]\Application Data\SPORE Creature Creator\GraphicsCache.package
As for the op... you shouldn't have any problems with the video card

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 08:17:50 pm »
any newer video card than the ones they list will be fine.
I have 2 9600gt's and it runs fine.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:23:15 pm »
I think the graphics cache setting says how big this file can be
Code: [Select]
G:\Documents and Settings\[account name]\Application Data\SPORE Creature Creator\GraphicsCache.package
As for the op... you shouldn't have any problems with the video card

Oh I never went searching to find it, but it's interesting that I was right. :-p I wonder if people have tinkered around with that file to see what it does, really.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline SimEarth Freak

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Trichordates are now sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 08:25:47 pm »
any newer video card than the ones they list will be fine.
I have 2 9600gt's and it runs fine.

Hmmm... Can I ask what motherboard you have?  Is it SLI certified?

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 10:30:37 pm »
I wonder if people have tinkered around with that file to see what it does, really.

It's a "cache".  It stores information it thinks it might use again to save time— rather than recalculating that info from scratch.

Offline Markonite2

• Mystery House Madman
  • Got Souls?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 11:01:17 pm »
I wonder if people have tinkered around with that file to see what it does, really.

It's a "cache".  It stores information it thinks it might use again to save time— rather than recalculating that info from scratch.

Depending on the file type you might be able to change some of the information stored there.
ESPECIALLY if you have hack experience.
It's probably a list of seemingly random variables.
(But I wouldn't mind changing a few to see what they do)
[actually this might cause a crash]
{scrap that idea}

Wow... three sets of parenthesis.
I topped my record. It almost looks like program code.  :)
'Streets of Spore': where you drive around in a low-poly world doing missions that don't relate to the game whatsoever...

The sig is like a fig. But really, who will triumph?
The almighty Ham, or the magical Spam, which lives in a can. - Anthony Reubon