Author Topic: Video from San Fransisco 6/21/08  (Read 9052 times)

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
Re: Video from San Fransisco 6/21/08
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 10:54:13 am »
Nice find Cmendel, too bad the length was small though.
And just as it was getting good too :'(

I want to know what was going on after the tape ended!!1

Dang... Stupid Security guard

Yes!  >:(

I KNOW >:( !!!
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Cmendel

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 11:21:39 am »
Yeah, someone should have shot the security guard ::)

Anyway this was posted over at the Gamefaqs boards, a lot of useful information

"Hey guys,

I just saw the Spore demo at the Apple Store today in San Fransisco. I took a short video with my camera, but they made me turn it off. I don't think I'm doing anything illegal by uploading this since I didnt have to sign any disclaimer or NDA; anyone could walk into the store and watch it.

Anyway, heres the link to the video...

And feel free to ask me any questions. He demoed quite a bit of the game and I found out alot of stuff I don't think I have seen elsewhere. Here are a few highlights I got from the presentation (which was awesome by the way).

-There are flying creatures! If you put wings on the creature you can fly... awesomeness.

-There are dynamic weather cycles

- You can see a moon in orbit from the planets surface

- There is no editor for vegetation or tribal structures - Will said they may be added after release

- You can create scavenger creatures and follow predators around and feed off their carcasses they leave behind.

-The game world is populated generally with creatures that have same level parts as you. They will evolve as you do as well.

-There is a timeline in that shows everything your creature has ever done, all the way from cellular to space phase (this is in the video I uploaded).

-There are epic creatures; very large gargantuan creatures. He demoed this in the tribal phase but first mentioned it was in the creature phase too. These can be killed and will supply your tribe with tons of food. He even mentioned you can ally with some of them.

-There are events, such as meteor showers and alien abductions, etc.

-In the tribal stage you can domesticate some animals, fish, gather, and hunt for food.

-There is a main goal to the space stage, PARTIAL SPOILER: which tells the origin of the metoeor that you originally came to your planet from. He did not reveal any more about this.

-There are three kinds of civilization cities, economic, religious, and military. Each city you own can only be one of these, and will only produce vehicles for this purpose. But you can have multiple cities that each have a different focus.

-The resource in the civilization phase and beyond is spice. You build spice refineries on these. Will said that spice is more common on old star systems, so you are most likely to find spice in certain types of solar systems (blue dwarfs if I remember correctly).

I am having issues uploading to youtube currently, I will update the thread when the video is up. "

This was posted by "Baselerd"

Offline jydnys

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 11:34:51 am »
hmm interesting tidbit @ 5:00:

"In the cell game we are determining if we are an herbivore, omnivore, or carnivore by what we eat in the game..."
"....  As we leave cell game this is basically going to set us as herbivore for the rest of the game, which has a lot of implications"

This is new info ro me, I can only assuming this means that we cannot have our creature switch diets, meaning we will only have access to a portion of the mouth parts depending on how we played cell.

Offline Captain Indigo

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 11:39:15 am »
Yeah, someone should have shot the security guard ::)

Anyway this was posted over at the Gamefaqs boards, a lot of useful information

"Hey guys,

I just saw the Spore demo at the Apple Store today in San Fransisco. I took a short video with my camera, but they made me turn it off. I don't think I'm doing anything illegal by uploading this since I didnt have to sign any disclaimer or NDA; anyone could walk into the store and watch it.

Anyway, heres the link to the video...

And feel free to ask me any questions. He demoed quite a bit of the game and I found out alot of stuff I don't think I have seen elsewhere. Here are a few highlights I got from the presentation (which was awesome by the way).

-There are flying creatures! If you put wings on the creature you can fly... awesomeness.
Excellent, I'm glad there's proper flying, rather than just quasi-flight and extended jumps like I feared there might be, especially after they took water creatures out.
-There are dynamic weather cycles

- You can see a moon in orbit from the planets surface
Good, just general things that'll make it all seem more immersive.

[/quote]
- There is no editor for vegetation or tribal structures - Will said they may be added after release
[/quote]

Bleh, not happy with this but tbh it's to be expected - this is from the creator of The Sims, of course there's going to be expansion packs.

- You can create scavenger creatures and follow predators around and feed off their carcasses they leave behind.

Now that is interesting, and bodes very well. I don't know if I'd play as a scavenger, but it suggests that there's going to be a great deal of depth, and you won't be forced to just pick Herbivore or Carnivore - there'll be a great deal of variation within the two.

-The game world is populated generally with creatures that have same level parts as you. They will evolve as you do as well.

We knew this already - otherwise the worlds would be hopelessly unbalanced.

-There is a timeline in that shows everything your creature has ever done, all the way from cellular to space phase (this is in the video I uploaded).

This will be interesting to see, but may well just be a bit of a gimmick, and will quickly wear off.

-There are epic creatures; very large gargantuan creatures. He demoed this in the tribal phase but first mentioned it was in the creature phase too. These can be killed and will supply your tribe with tons of food. He even mentioned you can ally with some of them.

-There are events, such as meteor showers and alien abductions, etc.

I'm glad of things like this. While some might say they detract from the authenticity of it, I feel they'll add more variety, and a bit more interest.

-In the tribal stage you can domesticate some animals, fish, gather, and hunt for food.

Pretty basic, heard it before.

-There is a main goal to the space stage, PARTIAL SPOILER: which tells the origin of the metoeor that you originally came to your planet from. He did not reveal any more about this.

Hmmm, that could be interesting. It shouldn't detract too much from the free-form nature of the game, and it'll give me something definitive to do.

-There are three kinds of civilization cities, economic, religious, and military. Each city you own can only be one of these, and will only produce vehicles for this purpose. But you can have multiple cities that each have a different focus.

Economic-style and military-style, I've already heard of, nothing new there. But religious...? Now that will be interesting. Got any more information about what it entails?

-The resource in the civilization phase and beyond is spice. You build spice refineries on these. Will said that spice is more common on old star systems, so you are most likely to find spice in certain types of solar systems (blue dwarfs if I remember correctly).

Heard about spice before, and the varying ages of systems are a good sign that it won't get repetitive with the large numbers of planets, and the blue dwarves suggest there will be a good variety of celestial phenomena in there too.

^^Click^^

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 12:29:56 pm »
hehe, i like the situations with the epic creatures and alien abductions :). After all that last one is what we are going to do alot :) But to encounter that as a lesser species could be "thrilling". I actually wonder if you could end up being taken away yourself and smashed on a new planet where you have to adapt again :P Wouldt be a nice twist.

Offline wydraz

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
    • Spore Monkey
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 02:42:06 pm »
Great to see, but HOLY CHEESE-ITS the author never zooms in to the game! I never understand why some people feel they need to show the backs of the audience's heads, or even Will speaking throughout the entire video - we can still HEAR him, after all.

Offline W8-4Spore

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 03:03:14 pm »
it would have been nice to get a better quality of the video, but it was a very cool video, wish i could have seen it though man :( BLAH! I can't wait for it to come out!  It looks like they went for a earlier feel to it for some reason to me too, reminds me of the old GDC 05 video... no complaints here though! It's going to be pretty amazing to get my hands on it for the first time!
There will be a serious problem with school when Spore comes out...

My tag for Sporepedia is Randios, please check out my creatures and give me constructive feedback/criticism! User name is Randios187, tag is Randios. Thanks!

Offline Nymo

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
    • MySpore Page
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 10:02:39 pm »
Whoo! My video's on Gaming Steve...
er, at least the forums...

And about that security guard:
yeah, I'm kicking myself for not filming other protions when he was away, but hopefully more videos from the event will pop up later on...

Great to see, but HOLY CHEESE-ITS the author never zooms in to the game! I never understand why some people feel they need to show the backs of the audience's heads, or even Will speaking throughout the entire video - we can still HEAR him, after all.

well, Excuse me! If you really must, check out this video, which is only the on-screen portion of the presentation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVzPpqxQo_0

Funny enough, he was standing right next to me in the back, so we both get cut off right at the same time by the same security guard...

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 11:46:59 pm »
damn, wonder where he was the first 7 minutes :P

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 12:15:11 am »
Thats a better vid

Offline Baryonyx

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Behold...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2008, 12:36:43 pm »
It's like beating off and then having your computer and internet crash...  >:(

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2008, 12:42:10 pm »
Ok?

Anyway, awesome vid but could you atleast give some commentary about what the last part that you didn't film was about?
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2008, 03:47:46 pm »
Ok?

Anyway, awesome vid but could you atleast give some commentary about what the last part that you didn't film was about?

That's in this thread.

I'll point you to this post, since it's mine (and thus easier to find), the rest of the thread is all yours.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 03:50:28 pm by Feigro »
"We're calling it Spore..."