Author Topic: DNA "cost"  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
DNA "cost"
« on: June 21, 2008, 10:37:40 am »
So with the creature creator in our hands, we all know the exact DNA cost of every item.

Thats all well and good, but it did not answer a deeper question about DNA costs. In the grand scope of things, how much *is* 2000 DNA?

My thesis is that as far as DNA goes, you'll be counting every point. Here are my reasons:

1. It is almost impossible to spend all 2,000 DNA points without hitting the complexity cap in the CC. This leads me to believe that the CC was designed to be a 'sandbox' tool, where cost is not an issue when designing your creature. Therefore, 2,000 points is an extreme high mark for a DNA budget.

2. Higher 'ranks' of creature parts that look similar, have similar stats boosted but give a strictly greater boost cost only 10-20 DNA points more then their lower 'ranked' counterparts. The only time you would ever want to use the lower ranked parts (from a strictly min/max perspective) would be if you could not afford the higher ranked ones (and/or haven't unlocked them yet). In order for that 10-20 DNA jump in cost to make the decision something that could go either way, each of those 10-20 DNA points must take some effort to earn.

I'm thinking that earning 1 DNA point in Spore would be like earning 1 gold in World of Warcraft. In the very beginning, it takes awhile just to get 1 point, and a purchase of 20 points is a major investment, but once you get to higher 'levels' with higher tier parts on your creature, going against/avoiding higher tier creatures and completing more complex missions, it'll become easier and easier to get DNA points. The end game for creature, of course, will be buying bigger brains which will allow you to go to tribal. I'm guessing the highest level of brain will be the most expensive part in the game.

Of course, this is all just speculation. If anyone has any hard facts, articles, screen shots or other theories that either support or contradict this theory of mine, please post it!

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
Re: DNA "cost"
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 10:40:03 am »
Brain upgrades will probably cost a lot, so the slightly bigger cost of the better mouths are somewhat even.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Absinth

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Check out my creatures on the sporepedia
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 10:47:49 am »
I believe they have set the DNA higher then what we ever need to make our creatures, to not be limited by it.
The complexity cap i think is moved in to not let us make creatures that could crash the program.

The amount of 2000 DNA is probably pretty high in gaming terms, considering the fact we can create very strong creatures.
I also believe, just like Yannick, that the price for brain upgrades will be pretty high.
Spore has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men.

My sporepedia page
My gamingsteve creature page

Offline W8-4Spore

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 10:50:22 am »
I was wondering when someone would bring this up, but my feelings were the same... That in the begining it will be tough to get DNA points, but you gotta remember that you only use the DNA points pre-tribal phase, so for about 2/5ths of the game, right? I don't think you use DNA points for stuff in tribal, but I could be wrong..
There will be a serious problem with school when Spore comes out...

My tag for Sporepedia is Randios, please check out my creatures and give me constructive feedback/criticism! User name is Randios187, tag is Randios. Thanks!

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 10:55:59 am »
I was wondering when someone would bring this up, but my feelings were the same... That in the begining it will be tough to get DNA points, but you gotta remember that you only use the DNA points pre-tribal phase, so for about 2/5ths of the game, right? I don't think you use DNA points for stuff in tribal, but I could be wrong..

I'm pretty sure DNA points are used just for creature...possibly cell too, as cell is similar to creature in that you are playing "eat and don't be eaten" while buying upgraded parts.

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 12:24:59 pm »
1. It is almost impossible to spend all 2,000 DNA points without hitting the complexity cap in the CC. This leads me to believe that the CC was designed to be a 'sandbox' tool, where cost is not an issue when designing your creature. Therefore, 2,000 points is an extreme high mark for a DNA budget.

My friend constructed a creature that spent all but about 80 points before hitting the complexity cap. So my theory would be that 2000 is the maximum amount of points you'd be able to spend on a creature that hit the complexity cap. I.E. there will never be any creatures that would cost more than 2000 DNA points in total. I naturally assume there's some combination of parts that would cost the full 2k, though.

Not that this changes your idea. I'm just saying I think 2k is the cap for DNA points in general. Especially since it's been said that you get part refunds in the game too. I can't factor in brain development, of course, but it would seem that as you progress through the game you'd eventually hit 2k DNA, at which point you'd be capable of making absolutely anything.

To the above folks, DNA points are used for Cell and Creature stages. Food is used for Tribal, and Spice is used for Civilization and Space.

Edit; It appears my above thinking is wrong. I went ahead and had messed around with my friend's creature. It had 81 DNA points left. I changed a few things around and below we have a creature that cost 2,000 DNA points and still has a bit more complexity left to spare;

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:36:27 pm by Feigro »
"We're calling it Spore..."