Author Topic: JKalenad Tower [16 new creations as of 9-28-08, including Bronzong]  (Read 38276 times)

Offline JKalenad

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
    • The Official Randomness Productions Website
Re: JKalenad Tower
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 01:30:29 pm »
I think Golem is one of my best as well, mainly because it textured so obnoxiously well. I know where you're coming from, GCool, with hating 99% of the pokémon after 151; when I was making my list of Pokémon I could make, I found that the later the generation, the fewer pokémon from it I felt I could make. I also noticed that a lot of generation IV is evolutions for earlier pokémon.

Just imagine Clover coming in as an epic. ;D

Okay, here's another group of four. None of them are related, except that only one is not from the first generation. Two if you count the bonus.

First we have
Mewtwo:

Who hasn't made Mewtwo, honestly. I sort of made it on a whim. I took a little liberty with its head because there was no other way to get a decent looking head for number 150 here. Other than that, it worked out really well. I had to wrestle with the texturing to get it to have a somewhat continuous texture on the tail, but I got it there.

Golduck:

I made Golduck on a whim as well. I've always wanted to make it (I say that a lot) and I actually finished everything with it except its tail in maybe 20 minutes. It's a really simple Pokémon, but not limitingly simple like Togepi. Golduck turned out perfectly and unexpectedly so. I toyed with the texturing saying, "I wonder if I just set the detail to red it'll color the gem red." It did and I was happy. yay. Golduck's perfect.

Wobbuffet:

Wobbuffet has always amused me to infinite lengths ever since I first saw it on the tv show. I still think that it could be the ultimate in comedic timing. Just saying "Wobbuffet!" at the weirdest times. Maybe that's just me.
Anyway, I had the same texturing issue with Wobbuffet as I did with Electivire, but it worked out anyway. I even successfully accomplished the hidden features of Wobbuffet. Those being its tail and its soft-serve flip which always looks weird whenever I look at it, so using a Knurl Down works.
Wobbuffet may be a bit too tall and its feet a little too big, but I don't care.
...."Wobbuffet!"

Victreebell:

Same texturing issue as Electivire and Wobbuffet and Mewtwo. Ca'n't make its leg/stem/thing/whatever brown. It still works.
The only issue I have with Victreebell is how it walks. Everything involved with its leg clips through it somehow. There's nothing I can do about that; it's just how Spore works. I could have made Victreebell just like the other Victreebells on Sporepedia and had it scoot along without a leaf-leg, but that's not how I see Victreebell.

That's all for that group. And now, a bonus.

bigger one of that here:

All 28 are there. They're all based very closely on the actual forms too.
Some of them move really strangely. Like Q. I had to wrestle with it to keep it from ice skating. I don't think I'll release the Unown because there are 28 of them...I'll release them if there's a significant demand , though. I just made them to be simple prey creatures and I thought they'd be cool to see in Spore.

I think I'm running out of Pokémon to make...if anyone has any ideas, let me know. I've already made Doduo and Dodrio, but their heads move way too awkwardly for me to release them. I've also made Lucario and I think I may release it, considering it's no worse than Mewtwo.
I'm thinking of making Graveler, Tentacruel and Hoothoot too. Now that I look at my list of possibilities, there are still plenty I could make.
Still, requests are welcomed.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:08:14 pm by JKalenad »
Pokémon are creatures too.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/VDlekjran
for the Kecleon, Poké Ball and Unown sets.

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 01:59:22 pm »
Wow, those are great likenesses! Victreebel's my favorite.
"Ooh rabba la dee teeb, ooh babba labba squeeb!"

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 03:44:01 pm »
Awesome creatures, well Pokemon. If you applied your talents to original creatures, they'd be amazing.

As for Pokemon you could make? I dunno... Chimchar and Evolutions (specifically Infernape)? Or Piplup and Evolutions (specifically Empoleon)? Other than that, you've covered most ones...

OH! Lapis. Have you down a Lapis?
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Kratok

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Probably dead at this point!
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 04:38:30 pm »
The eyes are all awkward looking compared the the originals, but considering it's an anime theres nothing to be done.

One of the main problems I noticed was that the humanoid bodies don't have that odd thick chest with skinny stomach build all pokemon do.  Aslo thought Mewto had thicker hips  =P

Victreebell looks like a horrible man eating monster though =D

Offline JKalenad

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 04:56:46 pm »
To Kratok:
That's what I figured. I find myself using the same two eyes over and over because they look the most like the anime eyes. I always try to stick as close as possible to the illustrations I use as reference, but I guess I never put much effort into making them fit their anime physiques. I'm also partially trying to make them reasonable creatures for Spore, so I guess I go a little lax with regards to the anime physique.

To OpDDay2001:
For some reason I'm never as happy with my original creatures as I am with my recreations. I do make some every once and a while; there are a few on my Sporepedia.
I've decided that if I do Chimchar and its evolutions, I wo'n't put in the fire. I don't really plan to do any fire pokémon that have fire as part of their physique such as Charmander or Ponyta. I'm intrigued by Piplup and its evolutions, though. I'll take a crack at them, but I'm not promising Piplup; I don't know if it'll be to small or whatnot. We'll see.
By Lapis did you mean Lapras?
I'm intrigued by Lapras as well. It would be possible to make, I'm guessing.

I have a few ideas for another group which I'll get to work on. I'll reserve it to be a surprise as to what'll be in it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 04:32:28 pm by JKalenad »

Offline Presea

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 04:50:33 am »
I love your models.  I enjoy pokemon a lot, so seeing some good pokemon models is neat.  Out of the ones displayed in the topic, I thought that Palkia, Groudon, Giratina, Machamp, Machoke, Golem, and Electabuzz were all very well done.

But, one thing stood out at me, and that was your Electabuzz.  When i saw it after looking through the topic just now, i was like "wow, this pretty much looks like my electabuzz."  I pulled up my creature creator and was astounded by the similarities.  But when you said that yours is the best, it made me search electabuzz on the sporepedia, and i was simply amazed by all the sad models.  I do like your use of spikes for the head hairs, I never even thought of that.  Although i do believe that the horizontal striping is better than vertical.

Offline JKalenad

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 05:42:06 pm »
hm...you're right, Presea, Horizontal striping does seem to make a better Electabuzz texture, but I think the reason I stayed with vertical stripes is that the style I chose worked for both Electivire's and Electabuzz's tails and arms so well that I stuck with it and said "that's good enough." I do that a lot because I know that Spore's texturing engine wo'n't make textures exactly tuned to the Pokémon's appearance.
Hm. I just now opened Electabuzz in the Creature Creator and I find that the style I used is the only style that will render satisfactory leg and tail stripes. The style that would render horizontal stripes looks okay to me, but I find it lacking stripes on the arms, legs and tail(s). It certainly makes Electabuzz's torso look better, but I prefer the vertical stripe style for its leg, arm, and tail stripes. Another reason being that going into Electabuzz I felt that I wouldn't be able to recreate its lightning bolt stripe properly.
Also, I hope you're not implying that I plagiarized your Electabuzz; because I didn't; I have no reason to. In fact, nothing in my Creature Creator's Sporepedia is made by anyone but myself except for the 30 creatures made by Maxis that came with it.

Anyway, I have a bit of a large post today, as one of the Pokémon has two forms and I have two bonuses (boni?) as well.
So, without further ado...
Tentacruel:

I'm actually surprised at how well Tentacruel turned out. I'm sort of surprised at how much it looks like Tentacruel, unlike Mewtwo. I don't have much else to say except I briefly struggled with the texturing engine:

Darth Tentacruel. I find your lack of Feebas disturbing.

Gastrodon (East):

Gastrodon (West):

Meh. I don't really like how the Gastrodons turned out. I don't like their "feet" or their bodies, but I couldn't make them look anymore like Gastrodon. They're sea slugs anyway, so I probably shouldn't've expected much. Spore doesn't make amorphous blobs very well. That's why I haven't done Ditto yet. They move pretty well, though; their legs don't clip through one another. That's a good thing. I think I did pretty well on their heads, "shells", and colors. I pretty much made them because I thought it'd be interesting to see them waddling around in Spore. Prime example of something being too simple for me to make in Spore.

Arceus:

I made Arceus out of request. Someone posted a comment on my old Dialga saying "please do Arceus" So I finally decided to give it a shot. Well, rock me Arceus; it turned out pretty darn well. I had a fleeting idea to make each of Arceus's plate forms, but that would be more silly than all those Unown. I had to use what I used for the green gems because what I wanted to use wouldn't get small enough. I like how Arceus turned out and I actually even like how it moves. Cool beans.

Rattata:

There's an anticlimax if ever there was one. Go from 493, the Alpha Pokémon to number 19, the Mouse Pokémon. I don't like Rattata's face, but that's how it's going to be. I don't like Rattata's texture, but that's how it happened. I like Rattata's tail, though. I like how Rattata turned out. I made it from scratch, by the way. There's another Rattata on Sporepedia that looks like mine, heck I think it's better than mine, but I did not steal it. Never stole anything from Sporepedia and never will.

And now, the second bonus. (the first was Darth Tentacruel and Eastern Gastrodon. They combined to form one bonus)
Dialga 2.0:

I strained the complexity meter to improve my old Dialga. I added eight (technically four) bone plates to simulate its leg-claws and lengthened the fins for its fan-tail. I added some bone plates for extra spikes, but they looked stupid so I got rid of them. I also made its diamond blue for once and beefed up its legs a little. I think it's a little shorter now too and walks a little better. Why did I do this? because I caught Dialga in Pokémon Diamond. Not much of an achievement, I know, but it's actually the first time I've ever caught a legendary Pokémon in any game. I never had the drive to catch one before.

That's it for now. I don't know which Pokémon will be in the next group.
We'll see.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:09:59 pm by JKalenad »

Offline JKalenad

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 05:12:28 pm »
Well, here we go, another group, another bonus (which may surprise people, who knows. I don't).

First up,
Porygon2:

I really like how Porygon2 turned out, especially how it moves. I contemplated making Porygon, but it's way to blocky and would end up looking like Porygon2 anyway, so I just went with Porygon2. I say it's pretty much perfect; I don't see anything wrong with it other than its eyes maybe, but eyes aren't much of a thing to get worked up about, especially when this is an organic representation of a synthetic Pokémon. My spell-checker doesn't underline Porygon2, but it does underline Porygon. Interesting.

Beedrill:

That last one's just a glory shot I guess.
Anyway, Beedrill turned out pretty well, I'd say. Its limbs are too thick, as usual, but other than that Beedrill's fine by my standards. Not much to say about Beedrill. I don't really like how it moves though; it doesn't use its hand spikes to attack, and it's not like I could've hidden any graspers without them being stupid. ah, well.

Porygon-Z:

I looked at Porygon-Z and said, "Nah. Wo'n't make that." Then I looked at it again and decided to make it. I ignored its lack of a neck and actually derived it straight from Porygon2. I had to wrestle with it to make it move better than some of the Unown I made, and its limbs might be a little thick, but whatever. That's just how it is. I didn't want its foot very visible. I could've made it bigger, but I always make things through proportion, not actual size, so this is how the cookie crumbled. I'm fine with it. Both Porygons are herbivores, so it'd be kind of cool to see them bouncing around getting eaten and whatnot.

Ariados:

This one kind of came out of left-field (the only sports metaphor I regularly use); I was looking through the list of Pokémon on Global Trade Station Plus and saw Ariados's name, remembered what it looked like, and looked at its picture. I decided that I could make it and, ta-da, I did. I like how it turned out, but I had to take a few liberties with regards to coloring. Once again, Ariados uses four colors and the texturing engine only supports three. Doesn't matter. I compensated. Ariados moves kind of strangely, but uniquely.

And now, the bonus.
Kertaal:

No, this is not a recreation; it's something I made completely from imagination. I don't make these sorts of things often because there's no demand for it. I'll probably make more unique creatures once I start running out of Pokémon.
The Kertaal is meant to be a sneaky predator in a different way than usual. It actually has two mouths; the one we see and a smaller bird mouth inside. It used that mouth to call for prey, lulling them into a sense of false security and all that. When the time is right it strikes and chases them down if it has to. I like how it moves and I think it's one of my best unique creatures. I'll start posting these unique ones more often.

I don't know which Pokémon will be in my next batch, but we'll see.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:11:53 pm by JKalenad »

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 05:25:02 pm »
I personally love unique creatures best, I like Kertaal a lot!
"Ooh rabba la dee teeb, ooh babba labba squeeb!"

Offline JKalenad

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 05:32:38 pm »
Thanks, Pietoro!
I just read my big post up there and I notice I said, "I don't make these sorts of things often because there's no demand for it." I meant there's no demand for me to do it. At least that's what it feels like. Maybe it's just because I make so many Pokémon all the time.
I might as well start making more unique creatures. What else will I do after I run out of Pokémon, anyway?

Offline JKalenad

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 11:08:29 am »
I noticed that my pictures are quite large, but not of an obnoxious size. I keep them that way so people can get an idea of the proper proportions and details that I see when I make these things. If I start seeing it as a hindrance and annoyance I'll change them into thumbnail links, but for now I'll stick with what I have.
Today's group has only one Pokémon from the third generation. the other three are from the first. I also have an un-Pokémon related creature as well.
Here we go.

Kabutops:

I don't quite know why that last one is included, maybe because I'm really very proud of Kabutops because of how detailed and successful it was. I'm actually sort of surprised with regards to how well it turned out, considering how I had to wrestle with osteoflippies and texturing.
Since Kabutops is evolved from a Pokémon revived from a fossil, I figured I'd use a dinosaur-like texture for its skin, which you can see most easily on its thighs. I also chose to use the shark mouth for its mouth (which you can sort of see in the second picture, I think), considering it's a Rock-Water type, and it can apparently swim really well. I think my only gripes are the black marks on its head, though they are smooth, so I'm not to bent out of shape about that, and the fact that it ca'n't really use its arm-scythes. I tried hiding graspers, but I couldn't get them to the point that I liked and its wrists kept moving, so I left it alone. All in all, Kabutops turned out pretty well. it should have, anyway, it was my most popular creation for a while.

Alakazam:

I actually like how Alakazam turned out. Its texturing is off, but that's only because of the Creator's limitations. I like how creative I was with Alakazam, and how everything worked out. I like its moustache most of all. I don't have much to say about Alakazam except that I'm always surprised at how ridiculously long its arms are. That's how long they are, honestly. look at a picture of Alakazam. That's how long they are.

Dodrio:

ugh. meh. and so forth. I mentioned I did Dodrio before, and I got it for that Pokémon challenge going on right now, so I figured I'd remake it from scratch and see if I could solve some of the original's issues. unfortunately, those issues are ingrained in the Creator. If you place a mouth on a limb, the limb will move very little with the mouth. The only way to make eyes move with the mouth is to place them on the mouth  or on a spine piece with the mouth nearby. Not a limb. Dodrio's a classic example of that.
I don't have much to say about Dodrio except that it bugs me to no end with regards to animation. From the neck down it's fine, but....meh. It textured fine, I guess, but it looked like it spilled oil on itself or something. Ah, well. As long as it stands still, I'm fine with it.

Swampert:

Swampert turned out really well too, and I had to flip a coin, so to speak as to whether I'd make it a biped or a quadriped, then I looked at its Bulbapedia page, and it has it listed as one with a bipedal, tailed form, so that solved that. Swampert turned out really well (considering it's currently my most popular creation), and I really like its posture. I don't like its eyes, but there's nothing I can do there. It's also too bad that in order to color its arm and leg lumps orange, I had to color its fin rips orange as well, but that's not too bad, considering Swampert is another one of those Pokémon that have four colors.
All in all, Swampert turned out pretty well.

Borogove:

Straight from Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky" comes the Borogove, as Humpty Dumpty describes, "a thin shabby-looking bird with its feathers sticking out all round. Something like a live mop."
I decided to make it purple because that's how I've always imagined the Borogove.
Here is a picture of the Borogove in its natural habitat, as seen with a couple of Toves and a few Raths.
The Borogove turned out very, very well. It was sort of the first time I've seen something I've created and really thought that it would be awesome to see it walking around in Spore. Of course, I'd never eat it if I were a carnivore. That wouldn't be good to me.

Well, that's it for now. Next batch will contain some interesting ones I bet. Who knows. I don't.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:13:26 pm by JKalenad »

Offline Presea

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 12:33:58 am »
hm...you're right, Presea, Horizontal striping does seem to make a better Electabuzz texture, but I think the reason I stayed with vertical stripes is that the style I chose worked for both Electivire's and Electabuzz's tails and arms so well that I stuck with it and said "that's good enough." I do that a lot because I know that Spore's texturing engine wo'n't make textures exactly tuned to the Pokémon's appearance.
Hm. I just now opened Electabuzz in the Creature Creator and I find that the style I used is the only style that will render satisfactory leg and tail stripes. The style that would render horizontal stripes looks okay to me, but I find it lacking stripes on the arms, legs and tail(s). It certainly makes Electabuzz's torso look better, but I prefer the vertical stripe style for its leg, arm, and tail stripes. Another reason being that going into Electabuzz I felt that I wouldn't be able to recreate its lightning bolt stripe properly.
Also, I hope you're not implying that I plagiarized your Electabuzz; because I didn't; I have no reason to. In fact, nothing in my Creature Creator's Sporepedia is made by anyone but myself except for the 30 creatures made by Maxis that came with it.

I wasn't implying plagiarism, I was just amazed at the similarities.  I mean, if you take a picture of it from the pokedex (or other related source), and replicate it with reasonable success and accuracy, they should look similar imo.  Anyhow, this is a fun topic to look at every now and then =)
I love the kabutops.

Offline JKalenad

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 07:15:38 pm »
I wasn't implying plagiarism, I was just amazed at the similarities.  I mean, if you take a picture of it from the pokedex (or other related source), and replicate it with reasonable success and accuracy, they should look similar imo.  Anyhow, this is a fun topic to look at every now and then =)
I love the kabutops.
Okay. I was just making sure. I agree with you that if two people use the same source, a re-creation should look similar. double Thanks for loving the Kabutops and enjoying my little thread here.

In other news, I'm sort of working on making new creatures. I haven't had the chance today because I was busy with other stuff. I can promise that Gabite will be in the next batch, though.

Offline JKalenad

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 04:27:48 pm »
Well, here's my new group of five (from now on I'll try to show off four Pokémon and one unique creature, but that may switch eventually).
There is only one quadruped involved and I now know I've been misspelling quadruped my whole life. crud.
Also, before I uploaded these pictures my Image Shack account had 151 pictures in it. funny stuff.
Anyway, here we go.

Wartortle:

I chose to ignore the shape of Wartortle's tail and just go by description. It's furry, so that's that I made it. Furry. I keep thinking Wartortle's head is a bit too large, but I'm not going to worry about it. I think Wartortle's fine for what can be done. I made it for the Pokémon contest, by the way.

Gabite:

I made Gabite partially out of celebration because I had just caught a Gible in Diamond (something I probably should have done when I first came in contact with Wayward Cave, but whatever). I decided to make Gabite because Gible's too simple and Garchomp looks a lot like Gabite anyway, so I made Gabite, and boy is it a predator. It has fives in four categories: bite, charge, sneak and sprint. Kick-awesome predator there. Ca'n't wait to see this fellow in Spore. Anyway, Gabite turned out really well to me. It has the same face as it should and it's colored surprisingly correctly. Cool beans.
July 18th: an update, my Gible's now level 27, so if I train it a little longer, i'll become a Gabite. woo.

Stantler:

It's the Pokémon no one cares about! Stantler! Seriously. They ca'n't be found in Ruby or Sapphire, they're only in the code apparently for Fire Red and Leaf Green, They're not in XD or Diamond. the only places you can find them are in Emerald's Safari Zone extension, Pokémon Colosseum and through Pearl's PokéRadar and even in Emerald and Pearl they're rare and there's only one in Colosseum. I guess I'll just have to wait for the Gold and Silver remakes to come out if I ever want a Stantler. I don't care enough to go buy Emerald or Pearl.
Anyway, this Stantler turned out pretty well except for its silly nose. It ends up looking like Stanley the red-nosed Stantler or something.

Weavile:

It's pronounced "Wee-vial" by the way.
I sort of made Weavile on a whim and I'm partially content with how it came out. I ran into the "Sableye conundrum" as I call it, wherein a Pokémon's head looks very silly in the way that Weavile's and Sableye's heads do. This comes from the fact that both of them have mouths that do not provide the entirety of their heads, so the spine must be manipulated in order to make a head. what results is a weird little round growth that looks more like Stantler's "tail" than a head. There's nothing I can do about that.
Weavile's fairly complex, but only has two 5-level stats: sprint and charm. That's cool. Weavile turned out as well as I could make it I think. It may be a little tall or a little chubby, but that's only because I hate adjusting the spine; it throws all the parts attached to it out of whack.

Jylotril:

This fellow is completely unique. It sort of stemmed from an attempt to make a decent pentaped, and I think I succeeded with Jylotril, because that back foot stays in the same place during the "hot foot" dance and that leg doesn't look like it's a tail with a foot; it actually looks like a leg.
This was a triumph. I'm making a note here: huge success. the Jylotril is definitely a Spore-worthy creature.

That's it for now. I have no idea what will be in the next batch, but a bonus may be the two Geodudes that I made but don't plan on releasing. I like how they turned out, but I'd prefer to keep them in my own game; they're not very remarkable.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:15:46 pm by JKalenad »

Offline Skizzik

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 06:28:07 pm »
Wow, Great work. Very accurate recreations. I love them. Especially Golem. Keep up the good work.

BTW. I would love to get my hands on those Unown.  ;) *cough*rar*cough*