Author Topic: How parts and stats work OR How to create powerful creatures with weaker parts.  (Read 5228 times)

Offline skewedjester

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • The Book of Jester holds the truth...usually.
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
So, I've been thinking about parts and how they affect stats. The parts aren't treated as having stats themselves, but rather adding to the base statistic of the entire creature (and, of course, enabling the ability/stat if it isn't already present).

For example, a mouth isn't said to bestow a level 3 bite attack, but rather to ADD 3 to the bite attack. So, if you put a mouth with a +2 bite on the same creature that already has a mouth with a +3 bite attack, you get a bite attack of 5 overall, rather than two separate attacks of differing power.

So, therefore, we are capable of making creature purely for aesthetics, if we think a "weaker" part looks better than a "stronger" part. We just have to get creative!

Take the Proto-Jesterling (seen in my avatar). Now, he's a herbivore, but as the free trial has no herbivorous mouths (foolish), and the editor won't let you save a creature without a mouth, I had to add one, but I don't want it to be seen. So, where is it? Hiding under his two front eyes. I picked the weakest insect mouth, shrunk it as small as possible and rotated it until it was inside the head, then placed eyes over the part that protruded.

So, think of an alternate situation. You want to create a vicious predator, but you don't agree with the editor's limitation that he needs that +5 mouth to have the power you want. You much prefer, say, the +2 mouth, and you REALLY don't want the +5 mouth on your creature (or at least you don't want it visible). All you have to do, then, is take a mouth of +3 or above, hide it on the creature in some way (by shrinking and rotating, putting detail parts around it, whatever), and then put the +2 mouth where you want it. There you go -- powerful bite attack, but it still matches your vision of the creature.

This technique is especially useful if you are like me when it comes to creature creation -- "Simplicity is beautiful". You can get good stats on a creature without bogging it down with parts you'd rather not see.

Of course, I could be wrong about all this. I have not playtested combat or anything. This is just what I have deduced from observing the interplay of parts and stats in the CC.

What do you think?

EDIT: Yes, I forgot about how the game loads creatures appropriate for your power level. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 11:01:17 am by skewedjester »

Offline Megajames75

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Having only one mouth is the eye with mess up the bite attack, but it's a good idea.

HOWEVER... not all your creatues need to be lvl20 attack. Full Stop.
My sporepedia page:

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Cold-Fire

I have over 50 creatures, I only upload my best so each of these should be good. All my creatures work ingame, and are beliveable.

Please take a look at my sporecast of the Flob species:

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ssc-500012834975

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
I think if you want a simple creature use the simple parts and keep the simple stats.

I go for aesthetics stats be damned.

The eco system needs a full food chain not just the top link.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
Take the Proto-Jesterling (seen in my avatar). Now, he's a herbivore, but as the free trial has no herbivorous mouths (foolish), and the editor won't let you save a creature without a mouth, I had to add one, but I don't want it to be seen. So, where is it? Hiding under his two front eyes. I picked the weakest insect mouth, shrunk it as small as possible and rotated it until it was inside the head, then placed eyes over the part that protruded.

Thats what I did with Snoopy, Cause he doesnt realy have a mouth.

Offline skewedjester

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
Having only one mouth is the eye with mess up the bite attack, but it's a good idea.

HOWEVER... not all your creatues need to be lvl20 attack. Full Stop.

Well, the idea is to give it a herbivorous mouth later on.

And I agree that not all creatures need to be maxed out. I'm just pointing out a way to get the look you want and some more stats if it goes with your concept.

gec05

That's what I did to give my creatures a lvl 5 glide power. I shrink a couple extra sets of wings and hide them into the torso.

Offline JKalenad

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
    • The Official Randomness Productions Website
My Darkrai used some of those techniques. I hid mouths under its eyes and a leg stub under its "skirt". Originally I had the mouth under a horn, but that made Darkrai bend its head really strangely, so I had to move it lower on its face.
When I make a creature that's supposed to look like something specific, I tend to try to make it so it could actually function in the Spore world, while also adhering to an appearance.
Pokémon are creatures too.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/VDlekjran
for the Kecleon, Poké Ball and Unown sets.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
I think if you want a simple creature use the simple parts and keep the simple stats.

I go for aesthetics stats be damned.

The eco system needs a full food chain not just the top link.
I agree with you completely.

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
 I like to design creatures and see what there natural traits are. Sometimes Im surprised just how powerful my creatures end up being. My Lhus Gami turned out to fly and glide and attack and dance and basically do everything extremley well but it was entirely unintended ;D Speaking of I need to put her in my Profile!

Offline skewedjester

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
I like to design creatures and see what there natural traits are. Sometimes Im surprised just how powerful my creatures end up being. My Lhus Gami turned out to fly and glide and attack and dance and basically do everything extremley well but it was entirely unintended ;D Speaking of I need to put her in my Profile!

Of course, there is certainly something to be said for that approach. Actually, all my creatures have been purely aesthetic up to this point, and will probably remain so for the most part.

I just like the possibility of being able to sneak some more stat points on if you choose to do so. You can even make it a part of the evolution of the creature. Give it a higher bite stat without changing the mouth that you like, for instance, and just say that your creature developed a venomous bite that increased its efficiency.

It's all part of the story, if you make it so.

Offline W8-4Spore

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
I like to design creatures and see what there natural traits are. Sometimes Im surprised just how powerful my creatures end up being.

Agreed, This is what I do too. If you like the unevolved forms of the mouths better, than just choose it and live with the consequence. Forget about the stats... That's not really what this game is all about anyway.
There will be a serious problem with school when Spore comes out...

My tag for Sporepedia is Randios, please check out my creatures and give me constructive feedback/criticism! User name is Randios187, tag is Randios. Thanks!

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
Wait.  No herbivorous mouths?  Why?
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline skewedjester

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
Wait.  No herbivorous mouths?  Why?

It's a CONSPIRACY, man!

Really, I have no idea. They give you the top two rows in full, but that's it. Row 1 is reptilian/dinasaurian, row 2 is insect, and both are strictly carnivorous.

Agreed, This is what I do too. If you like the unevolved forms of the mouths better, than just choose it and live with the consequence. Forget about the stats... That's not really what this game is all about anyway.

Ah, but Spore is magic, and will mean different things to different people.  :)

Offline MageLite

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
So, therefore, we are capable of making creature purely for aesthetics, if we think a "weaker" part looks better than a "stronger" part. We just have to get creative!
You can make a creature purely for aesthetics anyway. The game loads up creatures appropriate to you creature's strength level.

Offline skewedjester

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
You can make a creature purely for aesthetics anyway. The game loads up creatures appropriate to you creature's strength level.

True. I did forget that.