Author Topic: Help me make a campaign setting  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
Help me make a campaign setting
« on: June 19, 2008, 09:41:14 pm »
I'm going to be running a DnD 4 campaign on this forum that will share a canon with campaigns that I do with friends. Since I'm totally into collaboration and 2.0 crap, hows about you guys help me plot out my campaign setting's finer details? For each phase, posters in this thread will create their own nation, country, religion, etc, and describe it, then vote on their favorites. The setting will be moderate fantasy, no insane sorcerers who have entire armies of flesh golems. Make about 75% of the things named part of the human sphere, since that will be the dominant race. Don't go into too much detail, about ten sentences total.

PHASE ONE: Nations
Nations are different from countries, they are groups of people, classifications if you will. Perhaps you could call them ethnic groups. Australians, Irish, African-Americans, modern-day Maya, Catholics, and Crane School of Kung Fu all fit into the definition of a nation. Anything with an identity that goes beyond a flag and border.
When describing the nation, be sure to include the following:
-Brief historical background
-Makeup
-Climate origins
-Current status
-Values and beliefs
-Interesting quirks
-Relations with other nations within race (briefly describe other nations if necessary)
-Relations with other races

I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Online Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
Re: Help me make a campaign setting
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 12:49:21 pm »
Seems like a cool idea. Shame the DM book doesnt go into a lot about world building. At least compared to sites I've found.

The Holybronze clan of the Roaring Mountains

At the end of the rebellion against the Giants, Heko Holybronze was given the area known later to the humans as the Roaring Mountains, but known to the dwarves as Secye Aerhib. All in all, it was not a bad area. It was possibly the furthest recorded Giant area north, the human name coming from the noise the wind makes as it come through the ridges. The Holybronze got their name from their belief that in every metal creation lives Moradin, the god of creation, artisans and family; and their expertise at working in bronze. As such, their army's armour and weapons is meticulously cleaned whenever possible, and a quick prayer is said before battle to the spirit of the metal.

Dragonborn: They have some respect for Dragonborn, but are distrustful due to their Dragon ancestry (dragons steal from dwarves).
Dwarves: They get along fairly well with other dwarves, but are a bit distant because of their strange beliefs.
Eladrin: They distrust Eladrin to some extent, thinking it bad omen to travel between the two planes.
Elves: They are, however, friendly with elves, as they see elves as to nature, as they are to rocks and metal
Half-Elves: See elves and humans
Halflings: They like halflings alot, but are annoyed at their kleptomanic tendancies
Humans: They are watchful of humans. They see potential to do both great good and great evil.
Tieflings: The dislike tieflings as much as they do Eladrin. They carry holy symbols when dealing with tieflings, seeing their demonic visage as pure evil.

Clerics: They have clerics to Moradin, who bless the armour before battle.
Fighters: Like all dwarves, fighters are common.
Paladins: Again, paladins are common.
Rangers: Holybronze dwarves do not make much use of rangers
Rogues: Again, not much use of Rogues
Warlocks: Any warlock walking in civilized parts of the Roaring mountains best hide his abilities, as they are shunned amongst the dwarves, unless the can prove their pureness.
Warlords: The Holybronze clan has a multitude of Warlords.
Wizard: Not trusted, but may wonder freely unlike warlocks.

I hope that's OK.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 03:22:14 pm »
Classes weren't needed but d'okay.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 04:55:25 pm »
Well, I was thinking of some stuff but then I noticed that you're playing 4th Edition. Fail.

I mean, I could give you four different schools of Kung Fu. But there aren't any monks in fourth ed.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 04:59:25 pm »
I know very little about D&D... but when I hear that there are no Monks (The best class in any game) I am shocked and disgusted.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 05:16:54 pm »
wait...what hapened to the monks? the monks where cool...

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Online Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 02:33:49 am »
They'll probably release them in another book, just like sorcerers and bards

[/blindoptimism]

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 12:29:09 pm »
Bah. Stick with 3e. All the sourcebooks are waaay cheaper now anyways.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 12:34:11 pm »
4th edition is fun...its not much difrent from 3.5 cept the combat is ALLOT better
the only thing you need to worry about is the race and class changes..but they are all pretty cool...so i dont see a problem

and you need a bit of imagination if you want to be a DM...
you cant just let people write it out for you >.>

That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 12:39:47 pm »
the only thing you need to worry about is the race and class changes..but they are all pretty cool...so i dont see a problem

LIES

I mean, "Dragonborn"? Come on no-one is going to fall for that.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 12:50:48 pm »
there are already lots of dragon descendant races...well...at least the kobolds

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 01:49:44 pm »
Since I'm totally into collaboration and 2.0 crap, hows about you guys help me plot out my campaign setting's finer details?

LIES. You just want us to do your work for you.

If you're going to be that lazy, why not just take from our established setting?

Offline Cornithdown

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 03:47:41 am »
I'm happy to be involved.

The Empty Regions:
The primary hallmark of the Empty Regions is their lack of a national identity. While there is significant loyalty to family, nobody there cares about the Empty Regions over and above other identities- they tend to have no attachment to an ethnic group. Areas of these regions annexed to some other nation politically quickly assimilate.

There are two primary reasons why the Empty Regions are such to a greater extent then the outside world. First, while the people there are all human they are from different sub-races of humanity- there have been roughly three major migrations (one imposed by the Gods) into the regions, and they are sufficently intermixed to prevent clear nations emerging.

Second, leaders in the regions generally have a policy of taxing the peasants high to hire mercenaries (usually adventurers), and fighting constant wars which devastate the land. People are used to the taxes, but find it hard to support their government when it's wars lead to their lands being devastated at least once a year.

Climate Origins:
The climate is quite cold- this was because at one point the Gods intended to make the lands (which before that were desert) into a homeland for the Northerners (an eskimo-like race), after their previous one was destroyed. This scheme was abandoned, but there was no pressing reason to return to the climate to it's former state.

Values and beliefs:
Tend to vary- amongst the common people, the common trait is cynicism. Being non-national, they lack national traits.

Relations with other races:
The typical peasant in the Empty Regions won't recognise most races, though they will be very fearful of Giants. If they aren't clearly adventurers, they will usually assume it's just another Empty Regions ethnic group they didn't know about.