Author Topic: Girls  (Read 9575 times)

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • EČ
Re: Girls
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »
I'm a girl and I HATE the sims. (I hate pink too) UT3 and COD4 are the only games I play. I play at least 4 hours a day. I have been playing shooters for almost 10 years.

Never a good idea to generalize. ;)
It's never a good idea to stereotype. Generalizing is not only natural, it's necessary. I prefer shooters as well, but let's not pretend we're anything other than a minority. Generally, there are some things that appeal to one sex or the other, and some things that appeal to both. I like watching football, but generally, this does not mean both sexes do. Contrarily, I don't care for most chick flicks, but that doesn't mean they aren't chick flicks.

A lot more women are gaming now than 5 or 10 years ago, but it's still a male dominated(ratio-wise) hobby. I am happy when games like Spore come out. Borrowing from marijuana prevention vernacular, they're gateway games ;) Despite being such a huge influence in my daughters life, she's never shown much interest in gaming. But when something like the Spore Creature Creator comes along, it at least gets her on the computer playing something. Slowly but surely, with the help of Will Wright, I will make her a gamer.
Tribes 2 was the awesome, but Tribes was still and the greatest ever.
I never cared for Tribes 2. Tribes remains one of my favorite games of all time.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2008, 03:18:04 pm »
Me: Spore Creature Creator seems to be more of a hit among girls than most games.
Poster A: NO GIRLZ ON INTERWEB LOL
Poster B: I'm a girl and I'm an exception you sexist bastard.
Poster C: NO GIRLZ ON INTERWEB LOL

Good thread everyone.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2008, 03:38:28 pm »
Me: Spore Creature Creator seems to be more of a hit among girls than most games.
Poster A: NO GIRLZ ON INTERWEB LOL
Poster B: I'm a girl and I'm an exception you sexist bastard.
Poster C: NO GIRLZ ON INTERWEB LOL

Good thread everyone.

Indeed
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2008, 03:54:16 pm »
I figured this thread would go no-where.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2008, 04:55:20 pm »
I'm a girl and I HATE the sims. (I hate pink too) UT3 and COD4 are the only games I play. I play at least 4 hours a day. I have been playing shooters for almost 10 years.

Never a good idea to generalize. ;)
It's never a good idea to stereotype. Generalizing is not only natural, it's necessary. I prefer shooters as well, but let's not pretend we're anything other than a minority. Generally, there are some things that appeal to one sex or the other, and some things that appeal to both. I like watching football, but generally, this does not mean both sexes do. Contrarily, I don't care for most chick flicks, but that doesn't mean they aren't chick flicks.

A lot more women are gaming now than 5 or 10 years ago, but it's still a male dominated(ratio-wise) hobby. I am happy when games like Spore come out. Borrowing from marijuana prevention vernacular, they're gateway games ;) Despite being such a huge influence in my daughters life, she's never shown much interest in gaming. But when something like the Spore Creature Creator comes along, it at least gets her on the computer playing something. Slowly but surely, with the help of Will Wright, I will make her a gamer.
Tribes 2 was the awesome, but Tribes was still and the greatest ever.
I never cared for Tribes 2. Tribes remains one of my favorite games of all time.

Thank you for that post, now I don't need to write it ^^ Plus stuff like that is always more readily accepted when coming from a member of the gender being discussed.
It seems like everytime someone mentions a study about girls and video games you get name calling and agression.
While I don't think the OP's "study" in reality can be called anything but a "personal observation" (based on a relatively small and likely unvaried test group), REAL studies can show trends with certain elements' appeal to the genders. Chick flicks was a great example.

Based on my OWN "personal observation" among MY female friends, and on the type of games that have been shown in several previous proper studies to appeal to females, I can say that yes this is one of the games that seems more likely to appeal to females as well - particularly and specifically the non-gamer variant.
This doesn't mean that all gamer-girls will not like it, and that all non-gamer girls will; it means only exactly that which was said.

Offline Allch Chcar

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • City of Refuge
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2008, 05:29:58 pm »
OP is right, response is positive all around.

What makes you all think gamers are mostly guys anyway?

That's real funny. "Girls don't exist" I'm guessing your momma didn't tell you that.
No Ph34r.
~ |CoR| Sgt-Allch Chcar*XP*

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2008, 05:45:06 pm »
When i was young my momma gave me some advice, she said boy, dont you know, everybodys got a price.

Offline Ciddler

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
    • View Profile
    • My Spore!
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2008, 06:05:32 pm »
My mother told me not to talk to strangers. Now look at me! I am on a forum talking to random strangers and commenting their abominations! ;D

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2008, 06:20:11 pm »
like Spore Creature Creator, on average, more than they The Sims or Pokemon, which also managed to be popular among them. It still falls short of Animal Crossing and Nintendogs in general appeal, however.

You heard it first from Aybraus.

So far my Fiance is less into the spore creature creator than I am, though she has made a few creatures. She really had her heart set on there being aquatic creatures, but there arent (at least not intitially).

That being said, I'm sure she'll be more interested in Spore once it comes out. Just not enough to drool over it for the next 78 days.

And that is why girls are smarter than guys :P
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2008, 07:00:36 pm »
What makes you all think gamers are mostly guys anyway?

Its a half misconception/half truth resulting mainly from the following:

1. Popular culture frowns upon the idea of girls playing videogames, labeling video games are labeled as "masculine".

2. most videogames are pitched toward guys rather than girls (ex: Most video games have male main characters, portray females as "sex objects", and ads show males playing the game). A few exceptions include the "Nintendogs" ads, and barbie pc game ads. They don't so much portray the actual population's views, but are intended to influence public opinion, contributing to (1).

3. Gaming-related television puts out messages similar to those described in two. For more examples of gender-role stereotypes, watch just 20 minutes of "Spike", and then 20 minutes of the "Oxygen" channel. :P

There is no "video gaming gene" that only guys have. Its all depends on personal preference and the game in question.
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2008, 07:11:02 pm »
I have a freind "girl" that will only play FPS games, and shes the best I know. Weve played UT2004 together many times and it allways ends up:
Me 0 - 20 Her.

Offline Robertbobby91

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Don't forget to vote.
    • View Profile
    • If silence is golden, then my house is pyrite
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2008, 07:14:39 pm »
Not to be sexist, but society is the cause of it and at fault. In the west, traditionally girls create and boys destroy. In other societies, it's another story, but that's just the west, and my 2 cents to your findings. Sad thing really, because historically elsewhere, girls can be very destructive and boys can be very creative.
Visit my blog: http://robertbobby91.blogspot.com/

SAT: Critical Reading: 680 Math: 720,  Writing: 690,  essay: 12
WOOT! 2090 TOTAL!!!!

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2008, 02:22:08 am »
I always find it curious though, that if a girl is portrayed like a sex object that this is something that is not done, while girls nowadays are always reducing men to their butt or their eyes or his chest or what not. Surely if you go to the ladies room you'll have "object" talk. Ok they usually bath these conversation in lots of emo cream, but women can see men as sex objects as much as men can do with women.

The only difference i see is that it might be that men don't really have the whole emotional scala of feelings, romantic stray and whatnot: when they think about boobs. I feel myself slowly entering the generalisation again, cause that's what will always happen if you think that the one is more sex oriented than the other,...

It's always those who talk the most respectless about any aspect of the other sex: that get noticed the most easiest.

Now the first thought about this idea was that I suddenly think of a "model" like lara croft. Men will say rrr i wanna play her, some wommen will surely say "I wish i was her so i was more sexy". Not every women will do that. As not every man will be seeing this as the ultimate companion.

I often get the comment of being gay if I resist these kind of role models myself, that's not fun too: so I'm trying to think that both sexes can be extremely sexist.. or not.

Offline Skraeling

• Akalabeth Addict
  • My what big teeth I have.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2008, 02:32:29 am »
this thread greatly confuses me... fail.
* Skraeling goes back to killing stuff in eve.

No, really.  I am a card carrying scientist.

Offline YESH

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2008, 08:00:45 am »
There is no huge difference between men and women psychologically, it all boils down to how we were raised, generally boys are raised differently than girls and vice versa, but every likes and dislikes aren't coded into our gender, it just differentiates based on how we are as people.
So does it really matter whether women or men like games? If people like games then that's that, why try to make it a gender thing?
It's irrelevant; I know that hiphoppers and clubbers like this game as well, but it doesn't really matter, the stereotype is rarely the majority.