Author Topic: Darcie's Spore Creature Sets - Hawking tribute + spin off story  (Read 19128 times)

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
Re: Darcie's Spore Creature Sets - New Grendel, Ettin and Norn
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2008, 06:04:59 pm »
Wow, thanks for all the nice comments everyone.  I put a lot of time into this stuff because I really do want to help design games some day.
Yeah... the ettin took a while.  I had to settle on a few things :P  I think I made like 5 versions over a few weeks trying to get something good.

For GCool: Okay unicorn tips.  I downloaded your guy and really it's very nice.  Horse legs are a bit tricky in spore because the animation gets messed up a lot if you pass a certain threshold on joint angles.  You can try straitening a limb a little at a time and watching it animate if you want to get it right up to the edge.

I re-uploaded your unicorn with some angles that work but I tried to keep them as much like your style as I could and still make it horsey.  If you compare the two it might give you some ideas on how you want to fuss with your own leg design a bit, or feel free to just use the one I came up with.  I left some wiggle room on the unicorn legs for straitening if you want to fuss with it and get a feel for it etc.

In general I recommend looking at photos of animals when making your own, even pretend ones, to get an idea of how things stick together.  I also usually bring up a skeleton picture if I can because sometimes a still flesh image hides a joint that may matter more than expected.  As for your unicorn, the leg adjustment is the main recommendation, the second would be to narrow the spine between the two back legs to bring them in closer to each other to make a more .... "proper" butt if one can say that, lol.  Hope that helps and I really do love it's overall look and feel.  The tail is just lovely!

GCool
Darcie mini mod

In other news...
My computer is alive again!  After a faulty power source shorted out (despite being on a surge protector) and blew up my mother board I ordered new parts only to find nothing would work.  It took a month just to figure out the stupid replacement motherboard was defective!  Anyhow, two months later I have my shiny new computer with it's slightly older hard drive still intact.  The best part though... this is my 3D graphic computer and OMG spore is like a whole new set of eye candy on this baby.  Anyhow, expect to see some cooler textures and full render images from me soon.  I'm also going to test and see if my old texture jobs remain flat like I saw them or get wonky.  If they get wonky there may be some remakes.

edit:  I just went through and tossed comment tags on all my creatures noting changes from the shown image to pixel shader 2 compatible computers.  Only a few really benefited from a full texture update and I uploaded the new version of those.  I also uploaded an unchanged version of the silver earthen norns because they look a million times better with the shader.  Most of the creatures are enhanced on some level by it, a few stay about the same and a few loose something, but I was unable to find anything better.  The bad ones, as I mentioned, were adjusted and re-uploaded.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:00:49 pm by Darcie »

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
Re: Darcie's Spore Creature Sets - tips for GCool, thanks and new comp
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2008, 01:47:53 pm »
Introducing Foodiforma Series two: The fast and the ferocious!

Slightly less random in content from series one this set features an array of living fast food items (and a whole lot of bad puns).  I also included the Mushdoom here because it needed a home (poor ickle killer fungus).  Beware, these creatures have gotten past there yumminess weakness by causing would be predators to succumb to obesity and heart failure in only a few bites.

If you plan on hunting these guys I suggest first finding yourself a diet buddy.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:51:02 pm by Darcie »

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
Re: Darcie's Spore Creature Sets - Oddballz!
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2008, 09:49:56 am »
Intro: Lets face it, if there was ever a set of preexisting game characters that belong in the Spore world it has to be P.F. Magic's wacky virtual pets from the early 90's, the Oddballz.  My very first website was about Oddballz and it really lead me down the path of game modifying.  I would make new flavors and publish them on line and eventually I got handy enough with the computer to even use a hex editor to make my own new breeds.  Below I present a collection of all of the official Oddballz breeds created by P.F. Magic back in the day, adapted to Spore.  I think they will like there new home :)

Story:  The void is a place in every computer where things go missing.  That harvest moon cow that walked out of your barn through the wall, never to return, it is there, in the void.  That norn that took the sub and vanished, the void.  That paper you spent all night writing that has gone missing, the void.  Those socks that have no matching pair... the void.  Oddly enough, occasionally things find there way out of this mysterious place and back into our world, sometimes they end up in places they might not otherwise be found.  This time it looks like the Oddballz have found there way to Spore, what lies in wait for them only time will tell.

If you can't view this image please click herehttp://www.geocities.com/gemwhite/spore/images/oddballz1.jpg

Artists Notes:
Stupid little round noses... What made maxis not think to include a basic sphere I don't know.  If any program shows how much a person can do with just balls and rods, P.F. Magic's petz series does.  Anyhow, recreating the standard Oddballz funky shiny black nose was a bit tricky and I pulled it off a few ways.  For ones with a black body an up side down occulus did the trick (like Quadrapus).  For some the only reasonable option seemed to be the wrottontail (like Zott).  In order to make it more stable I actually attached it below or above the place I wanted it and then tipped it into the flesh.  This prevents it from waving all over and looking like it's floating mid air.  The final way I got around the round issue was with Honker whose nose I left hollow because that was sort of the impression he originally gave and the shadowing makes for a good dark space.  102 was a special problem because it's nose is actually 3 parts.  I also realised that maxis left the color the "chuffle" (dog nose) the same as the body color which makes it even more useless than I though... but anyhow, I ended up using a trio of modified "Nurples" hooked into the back of the mouth and rotated to make the nose.

Eyes... Soooo, the simple classic Oddballz googly eye has no counterpart in the CC.  It may be possible for me to give them old school eyes once the full game is out because of cell modes left over eyes, but I'm rather fond of how they turned out this time.  I basically went for eyelid expression when choosing eyes for these guys, that was the one factor that varied a bit between the original Oddballz eyes.

Paint Jobs... Some breeds lended themselves well to being painted (like Zott) other did not (like Lips).  I did the best I could and to get around a few detail jobs I got creative.  You will see that Quadrapus has black toes and little yellow foot stripes just like always.  I pulled that off by capping it's feet with up side down jellybuttons and then setting a derma bark on each. 

More foot Jobs... Honker also has a fancy foot job.  In it's case I tagged on Wrottontails and turned them over and in on slimed down "The Geckonator" toes.  I did this to enhance this breedz fluffiness look as well as to give it properly blue stubby feet.  Jester is the last with a Fancy foot job.  I tacked "pomp pom" onto it's back heals and rotated them around to produce bell like structures.  Snowbo doesn't really have anything fancy, just sunken and then swollen limbs covering up "Suctoped" feet.

Old Tricks:  You'll see some of my old tricks used a bit too.  I give more depth to faces by using other parts stuck on or tilted in to give cheeks and other effects.  Eyebrows can be made a number of ways using ear type parts and placing jaws on the chin area of a head segment and then rotating them up can do a lot for blending and improving form.  Also, you'll see a few have hidden mouth and added teeth etc etc, all variations on the same sort of techniques. 

Snowbo:  Normally I don't use "Empteyes" for anything but eyes because it looks stupid animating, but since Snowbo actually animated rather like it's mouth was blinking in the original Oddballz, I made an acception.  It actually looks rather good in this case.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:16:34 am by Darcie »

Offline Alvin Flummox

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2008, 12:40:48 pm »
You have some great designs :D Your hawking made me laugh lol.

Keep up the great work, you obviously put a lot of work into your messages and descriptions. Im lookin forward to what your shiny new computer can help you come up with :)
My Sporepedia. Please take a look and comment :)
Also, feel free to look at My thread

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2008, 01:21:38 pm »
Thanks, wow, you found the Hawking tribute fast.  Yeah, it's meant to be a tribute and a little humor in honor of Dr. Steven Hawking. 

Read the descriptions in order for a bit of a mini story :)

Hawkling
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Darcie%3Asast-500009998061

Hawkin
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Darcie%3Asast-500009998067

Hawking
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Darcie%3Asast-500009998069

Hawk Master
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Darcie%3Asast-500009998073

------------------------------------
Spin-off story: The Scientist - Origins
------------------------------------

Story in relation to "The Scientist" Empire:
Although the planet on which the Hawk Master and related species evolved had been seeded with what was originally human DNA (according to the BioKings) the group responsible for this action was never found and has never since returned to the planet.  Left to their own devices the Hawkians created a vast and extravagant global empire, all the while expanding their technology for viewing the Cosmo's.  Despite all the thinking and technological developments that took place over the eons the Hawkian species were hesitant to leave their home world and enter the vast reaches of space.  It was the cybernetic Hawk Masters that finally made the leap and with their disproportionally massive understanding of the universe, that they had just begun to explore, it wasn't long until "The Scientist" empire started scouting their colonies and fleets for allies.

These days it is common to find a Hawk Master or two on most large "The Scientist" vessels.  Most are kept on board as consultents in understanding spacial phenomena encountered as well as engineers.  In colonies they often act as teachers and mentors for the young of others.  (their own young gain extra early insight from their mechanical implants and a low level form of telepathy)

Want to read the first primary story about "The Scientist" Empire?  It begins here.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 07:26:49 pm by Darcie »

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
Re: Darcie's Spore Creature Sets - main page under reconstruction
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2008, 01:55:44 pm »
lol
...just: lol