Author Topic: Darcie's Spore Creature Sets - Hawking tribute + spin off story  (Read 18213 times)

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
I have converted this thread into one that will hold my big theme series updates and high res images.  For my smaller series, singles and works in progress you can check out my bits 'n bobs thread.
Theme Sets:  My un-rendered work (no specal image, just the sporepedia picture), small sets, these sets in the works and single stand alone creatures can be found at my Creature Bits 'n Bobs thread.

Tips and tricks:  I include artist notes with tips and tricks on how I pulled off what I made during each theme set. Those notes are in the introduction posts for each set in this thread.
I also have a thread that is intended for everyone to share tips and tricks. It opens with a basic overview of the most common advanced features used in the CC.  Great for beginners and really anyone.

My Sporepedia username is: Darcie
My Sporepedia Profile Page
My Sporepedia Creature List

You can find more information, creatures and game guides at my website:
http://www.geocities.com/gemwhite/spore/index.html

General Artist Information:
I'm studying game design and have made third party expansions for existing games for over 14 years.  I love game and historical lore and mythical creatures and have had a thing for dragons since I was a toddler.  I am focused on quality over quantity and like to make creations others would likely want to use.  I also tend to branch out into different styles as my mood and others requests take me, although my default setting tends to be a blend between realism and cartoons with sort of a fun feel.  The Templata complex is a series I am making just to give good basic starting forms for others to work with, specifically I try to make basic, but tricky forms.  Some of the Templata are also requests, those types often are best reverse engineered to see some tricks in making your own forms.  They are listed at my other thread.  Anyhow, I hope you like them and my polished creatures to boot :)  Oh yeah and I absolutely love feedback, so please chat away

Series Lists:

Original Work: These are creatures of my own creation not based on anyone else's intellectual property.  This includes folklore, real creatures and totally made up things.
Click here to jump to list of original work.

Un-original Work: These are creatures based on characters originally designed by someone other than myself.  The Spore version is 100% my work, but not the concept behind it.  Basically, these are tributes to others works by converting them into Spore creatures.
Click here to jump to list of fan-fic style work.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 02:59:47 pm by Darcie »

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
Original Works
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 08:12:12 am »
Food Monsters:  As a child I had a repeating nightmare of garden vegetibles trying to kill and eat my family.  It was sort of a funny thing in the daylight hours, but freaky at night.  These are inspired by those dreams.  Meet the Foodiforma!

Foodiforma Series One: Introduction Page
Doughnut Beast (Foodiforma doughnuti) - Sporepedia Page
One of my very first creatures.  It started as a ring templata, but I liked it so much I polished it up and made it into the first foodiforma.
Cherry Flie (Foodiforma sakura) - Sporepedia Page
I thought to myself, cherry pie... fly... cherry flie!  Although it might kind of look just like a misspelling.  I had fun with body forms for this one, but it actually didn't animate correctly and had to be tweaked rather a lot to fix the problem.
Foul Fowl (Foodiforma rotisserea) - Sporepedia Page
One of my favorites, who wouldn't find it funny to find a planet inhabited by chicken roasts?  And got to love the naming puns.
Mr. Potato (Foodiforma spudly) - Sporepedia Page
Lets face it, the Spore CC is one big....  I didn't infringe, it's not the whole name!
Carrotop (Foodiforma caroteno) - Sporepedia Page
I drew these by hand a few years ago to show during transitions in a cell and molecular biology class presentation in which we reported the finding from cloning mutant carrot sprouts.  Spore did a darn good job moving em to 3D.  My mother came up with the common name.
Killer Tomato (Foodiforma classico) - Sporepedia Page
Attack of the...  I thought it would be silly if it was semi cute.
Grapes of Wrath (Foodiforma vin) - Sporepedia Page
These took like 6 hours to fiddle into form, but they are so cool.  They animate just like you would expect a cluster of grapes to.
Citrus Stalker (Foodiforma citrus) - Sporepedia Page
Spore was made to make this guy.  It didn't take real long to put the picture in my head into the game.  The best part is, it can and will squirt juice at you!  Oh and it hops on a navel.... navel orange, tee hee.

Foodiforma Series Two: The Fast and the Ferocious Introduction Page
Mushdoom (Foodiforma mycota) - Sporepedia Page
Simple, but looks great.  Just tossing in this series because I didn't know where to put it... it's the ferocious part I guess. The eye is hidden.
Jitter Joe (Foodiforma latte) - Sporepedia Page
It took me forever and a day to try and come up with a coffee monster.  I tried every type of coffee related dish and kettle until it hit me, duh!
Cocoa-Dodough (Foodiforma ringo) - Sporepedia Page
When people asked for a chocolate doughnut monster to go with the doughnut beast from series one a cross with a dodo seemed logical... that scientific name looks lame now, not sure how I chose it.
Mint Chocolate Chip Eyescream (Foodiforma freakyfreeze) - Sporepedia Page
Another project I spent a deceptively long amount of time on.  I tried all sorts of combinations to try and make an icecream beast, I finally got simple and went with this.  The baby actually looks like the adult of one of my other designs.  Note the sugar cone is cut off in the thumbnail, but fully present on actual creature.
Soft Serve Eyescream(Foodiforma cowfrost) - Sporepedia Page
Another product of my many attempts at making an icecream monster.  It was also another duh moment.  I hadn't thought of soft serve at first so I slapped that onto my second cone design.
Franky(Foodiforma wienie) - Sporepedia Page
Normally I wouldn't call a species with something a person would think of as a individual name, but for a couple of foodiforma it just seemed to work too well in the puns area to pass up.  It took a bit of fiddling with Franky to get the condiments just right, but otherwise it was pretty simple to make.
Patty(Foodiforma arteriosclerosis) - Sporepedia Page
Again, the name pun... 3 ways this time, too hard to pass up.  It took a while to get the basic form down, but once I did it was easy to add the cow parts in.
Taco Boy(Foodiforma psuedomex) - Sporepedia Page
I have been having a problem with this guy.  Not only will it not upload properly (despite being low complexity) I can't come up with a good name.  If you want to help by taking it, saving and then sending back and also name it better, please let me know.  I pulled off all the various taco toppings by being very creative.  If you want to see how, best just pull it apart because it's complex in design.
Deep Fried Thingy(Foodiforma blubber) - Sporepedia Page
Okay, let's face it, every fast food joint has it's thingies.  Be is chicken nuggets, poppers or hush puppies.
Fri(Foodiforma greasy) - Sporepedia Page
I did a lot of versions of this guy before I settled on this one, including curly and single fries.  In the end the only one that really felt right was this little fellow.

Mammal like Creatures: Warm fuzzies.

Feline Series One: Introduction Page
Chiroptokitten (Feliforma nocturn) - Sporepedia Page
A basic bat-cat.  I think they are cute.

Catbird (Feliforma ave) - Sporepedia Page
Another flying cat.  This one is colored like a real cat bird.  It also chirps and sings.  It's hard to tell on the small picture but it is feathery not furry.

Catfish (Feliforma siluri) - Sporepedia Page
This is another play on words like the catbird.  It has been very popular since right after I uploaded it.

Basteta (Feliforma bast) - Sporepedia Page
Basteta is named for the Egyptian goddess known as Bast or Bastet.  It's a basic upright walking feline and makes a good template.  It took about an hour to create Basteta from my first cat model. Dedicated to Mr. E (ebony), the little black panther that masqueraded as my second barn cat.

Angelicat (Feliforma dove) - Sporepedia Page
A very pretty kitty.  It took about two hours to get her just right, much of which was texture fiddling.  Like Catbirds this one sings and chirps.  She is dedicated to my first pet cat, Pearly Everlasting.

Megachiroptercat (Feliforma devil) - Sporepedia Page
The demonic counterpart to Angelicat they took about 2 hours and are build from a different mouth than what I used on most of my other felines.  I kept in mind functional predatory skills as I made them so they will be pretty nasty hunters in the full game.  I think they ended up looking very gargoyle like.

House Cat (Felis catus var domestic) - Sporepedia Page
This is the original cat model I built.  At first the upload was the wrong save file, this was fixed on 5/30/08.  It took about 2 hours to come up with a way to build a cat and that was spread over several hair pulling days (some of which was me waiting for the full editor to come in the mail).  This creature is dedicated to my second cat, Greybar, whom was rescued from sickness as a tiny feral kitten in a power shed (hence the name).

Feral Cat (Felis catus) - Sporepedia Page
This is a semi-long hair version of the house cat model.  It came from me spending another 3 hours trying different things to try and make a more classic rendition of a cat with medium hair.  It is dedicated to Picasso, my first barn cat that sadly was hit by a car at just a few months old.

Equine Series One: Introduction Page

Silver Dapple Horse (Equus caballus) - Sporepedia Page
A simple horse form.  It took hours over several days to perfect the balance of the horse leg form and the spore animation.  Big thanks to my Mom for the equestrian's perspective. (she also chose the color)
Equesrer (Equiforma neptune) - Sporepedia Page
An upright horse form.  I saw somewhat surprised to find that upright horses are very rare in mythology and so named them myself after the ancient god of horses Neptune Equester.
Unicorn (Equuiforma hippoceros) - Sporepedia Page
I went with the classic unicorn look which includes some rather unhorse-like features mixed in.
Cerapter (Equuiforma alicorn) - Sporepedia Page
It took a while to find the ancient name for winged horses.  For some reason people have gotten mixed up in modern times calling them Alicorns (which actually refers to the horn it'self) or Unipegs, which mixes Lattin and Greek and is a product of people not knowing what to really call them.  Anyhow, the ancient world called them Cerapters and so do I.
Pterripus (Equuiforma pegasus) - Sporepedia Page
Yet another mythical creature thats name has gotten confused in recent times.  A lot of people call use the word Pegasus to refer to a winged horse, but Pegasus was really just one individual and he was a Pterripus.  Once again I use the historical name.
Papillequine(Equuiforma hippolepidopterus) - Sporepedia Page
Oddly enough several cultures spoke of firey butterfly winged horses.  They have two ancient names, I used one in the common name and one for the scientific name.  They are both Latin and literal for butterfly horse. -Re-uploaded after it was found the first did not take.
Underworld Steed(Equuiforma pyrippus) - Sporepedia Page
Lots of cultures refer to the special horses that pull the carts in the underworld.  I liked the description of the Pyrippus best and used them as the bases for my Underworld Steed, although they are still a bit different.
Sea Horse(Equuiforma hippocampus) - Sporepedia Page
I don't know who makes the rules, but apparently the term Sea Horse now refers to the mythical creature and Hippocampus is used for the real animal.  Whatever, I used both in the names for this.   The form is a bit silly, but the animation is great, so I kept it.
Maricorn(Equuiforma almaricorn) - Sporepedia Page
I love the look and animation on this guy.  The names again come from two classic terms for aquatic unicorns.
Pterocamp(Equuiforma ceffyl-dwr) - Sporepedia Page
A rather interesting creature of the ancient world.  Bat winged aquatic horses were known as Pterocamps.  Ceffyl-dwr is a flying aquatic horse from slightly more recent mythology.

Draco Family These are dragon like creatures and have a bit of a story to go with them.  Each ones in game description gives a little snippit about the group and how they relate.  Also when they debut on this thread I give some extra info on the story.

Wyrm Series One:
Wyrm Genera The term I use for wingless dragonic bipeds from the European region.
Lindworm (Wyrm vulgaris) - Sporepedia Page
This guy took about two hours to fiddle out all the details I wanted, including the form research.  It was the second Wyrm I made in series 1.

Sea Wyrm (Wyrm aqua) - Sporepedia Page
It took about three hours to get a look I was happy with on this Wyrm.  A lot of that time was spent fiddling with the tail and trying different spines.  This is the third Wyrm I made in series 1.

Sand Wyrm (Wyrm terra) - Sporepedia Page
This was the first Wyrm in series 1 and took about 5 hours to create because I had to spend time learning how to make the basic form look and animate well.  I went for a sort of ugly bulldog fish look on this one and am very happy with how it turned out.  The Cobrawn comes from a look I fiddled with along the way and set aside to make into it's own final form separate from the Wyrm line.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 09:38:16 am by Darcie »

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
Unoriginal Work
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 11:05:03 am »
Un-original Work: These are creature series based on characters originally designed by someone other than myself.  The Spore version is 100% my work, but not the concept behind it.  Basically, these are tributes to other's works by converting them into Spore creatures.

Video/Computer Game Characters:  Some game characters just scream "make a Spore version of me", so I did.

Cyberlife's (Creatures Labs') Creatures Series One: Introduction Page

Iguanorn - Sporepedia Page
Sort of my own, I made the sprites for the Iguanorns a long time ago for Creature 2.  They were published in the Montu expansion by Ali at Albia2000. This is the male remade for Spore.

Iguanornet - Sporepedia Page
Sort of my own, I made the sprites for the Iguanorns a long time ago for Creature 2.  They were published in the Montu expansion by Ali at Albia2000. This is the female remade for Spore.

Metal Earthen Norn - Sporepedia Page
Sort of my own, I messed with and recompiled old sprites and some from an add on in the Creatures 1 game to make these a long time ago, they were my first really huge project and I had help from my on-line friend Dan.  They were published for free download on my website. This is the male remade for Spore.

Metal Earthen Nornet - Sporepedia Page
Sort of my own, I messed with and recompiled old sprites and some from an add on in the Creatures 1 game to make these a long time ago, they were my first really huge project and I had help from my on-line friend Dan.  They were published for free download on my website. This is the female remade for Spore.

Colorbright Norn - Sporepedia Page
Mostly my own, I used the game sprite from Creatures Docking Station as reference to draw my own in photoshop, all several thousand of them.  This was a massive project I did my last year of highschool and I ran out of time before going away to college.  They remain about 90% done just waiting for clean up and resizing, but you can play with them in Spore right now!This is the female remade for Spore.

Colorbright Nornet - Sporepedia Page
Mostly my own, I used the game sprite from Creatures Docking Station as reference to draw my own in photoshop, all several thousand of them.  This was a massive project I did my last year of highschool and I ran out of time before going away to college.  They remain about 90% done just waiting for clean up and resizing, but you can play with them in Spore right now!This is the male remade for Spore.

Grendel - Sporepedia Page
Sort of my own, I looked at the many versions of this creature from C1-CDS and came up with a generic male Grendel I liked for use in Spore.  Still, like the Norn and Ettin concept the Grendel concept belongs to Creatures Lab.

Ettin - Sporepedia Page
Based off the male Ettin sprites of C2 and C3, these have been remade for use in Spore.  As a side note, although I can't give them a voice in Spore, I did in C2 by modding the Norn's voice.  That voice was then used by Creatures Labs in C3 and was a huge deal for me, a humble highschool student at the time.

P.F. Magic's Oddballz: Introduction Page
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 10:14:20 am by Darcie »

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
Re: Darcie's Spore Creatures - new food monster preview video
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 01:05:30 pm »
New creature: Solar Star (Echinoforma asteroid)

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ast-500002721463%3Asast-500002721463
A space age take on one of earths most numerous predators, the sea star.  Total nightmare to get all five legs just right, but rather cool in the end.  Enjoy, but watch your fingers, these are a bit quicker than there earthly lookalikes.

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
Wow, these are all excellent so far, and I can't wait to see your other ideas take shape!

I like the idea of the Templata series, it's a big help to the community for someone to make a creature and encourage it to be modified to see how many different variations can come about as a result. Sort of like divergent evolution.  ;D

Also, I like the scientific names you're using, nice to see someone else incorporating that into things. I daresay you're taking the scientific names more seriously than me though, good on you!
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
Wow, these are all excellent so far, and I can't wait to see your other ideas take shape!

I like the idea of the Templata series, it's a big help to the community for someone to make a creature and encourage it to be modified to see how many different variations can come about as a result. Sort of like divergent evolution.  ;D

Also, I like the scientific names you're using, nice to see someone else incorporating that into things. I daresay you're taking the scientific names more seriously than me though, good on you!

Thanks.  I am hoping people will use them, I know I will because some shapes can take forever to get just right :P why go through it over and over again?

Edit: I've always thought scientific names were so funny to translate that I sort of ran it in reverse for these.  I try to use puns when I can.  It's good to know others are using em too.

Edit 2:
Space Ant (Animorpha formica)
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ast-500002724155%3Asast-500002724155
Someone on the forums requested that someone make an ant.  I did but it saved funny.  I just found it half done and fineshed it off and uploaded it.  Someone must have seen it on the front page and liked it because by the time I went to get the image for this thred it was already a happy face.  I know I like it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 01:46:15 pm by Darcie »

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
Goron (Nintendis goron)
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ast-500002908460%3Asast-500002908460
Goron are a reoccurring race of boulder people found in the Legend of Zelda game series.  They eat rocks in that game but these guys are carnivores.  I put a lot of time into getting everything placed just right, about 3 hours.  It's made with the free trial version of the creature creator but I think it looks good enough right now to upload it so I did.  It also looks to be the first Goron in the sporepedia.  Of course, the angle of the picture doesn't properly show it off, but I know I like em.  Anyhow, obviously this a fan art piece and the character belongs to Nintendo.  Hope you guys like em. ;D

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
Re: Darcie's Spore Creatures - Goron form legand of zelda
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 05:21:09 pm »
That's an awesome Goron, undeniably. The detail on the torso is excellent! I've seen a few others on the Sporepedia but very few of them actually LOOK like a Goron to that much detail and accuracy.

you're doing really well and getting a lot of variety from limited trial creator parts!

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
Re: Darcie's Spore Creatures - New food based monsters
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 05:30:04 pm »
My first series that makes use of the full creature creator is compleat.  Meet the foodiforma complex, available from my sporepedia account now!

http://www.geocities.com/gemwhite/spore/images/food1.jpgif image fails to load click here

comments welcome.

If you don't download any others to look at closely do so with the foul fowl and grapes of wrath, they turned out exceptionally well.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 05:46:00 pm by Darcie »

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
Re: Darcie's Spore Creatures - New food monsters, high res picture
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 06:01:15 pm »
Is that a pomegranate? I think the Carrot came out well too, just make sure he avoids the the Spider Bunny.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 05:26:28 am »
Really really cool and cute creatures! The donut is perfect!

Offline K3rnan

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 11:59:47 am »
You are creating some impressive creatures, wow!  Especially love the foodiforma series lol.  Can't wait to see what you come up with next.
Please check out my Spore profile or visit my YouTube channel!

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 12:02:56 pm »
i really like the carrot ;)
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 08:32:34 am »
I might redo my tomato at some point, it DOES look like a pomegranate.  Anyhow, my computer is still under reconstruction and my Mom has needed hers the last few days so I haven't had a chance to put together the collection images, but there are 3 new dragon wyrms, 2 felines and a very cool spitting cobra monster.  I'll have horses and some more felines up soon I think.

Anyhow, without further delay, I introduce Draco Wyrm vulgaris, Draco Wyrm aqua and Draco Wyrm terra.  These are close relatives of the Draco Dragoniformis genera, but lost two of their three sets of limbs very early on in evolution.  It is unclear if they ever actually possessed flight, but recent research suggest that the one remaining set of limbs are analogous to the front most legs found in Dragoniformis.

Some believe that the Draco family of organisms once inhabited earth, but mysteriously vanished several hundred years ago.  Others think a few may still inhabit the most remote regions of the planet.  Wyrm primarily lived from the northern edge of Africa through Europe and as far north as Scandinavia.  The Lindworm is the most common of the group and often depicted in family crests, sculpture and tapestry.  Viking artifacts often depict the semi aquatic Sea Wyrm and myths still abound today in sandy deserts of the dragon that swims through sand like a fish does water!  Although these creatures are scant on earth they have clearly set up shop on other planets bringing fourth the question of which planet is actually their original home.

http://www.geocities.com/gemwhite/spore/images/wyrm1.jpg if image fails to load click here.

Artist notes:  I took inspiration from the Cobrawn creature I made and followed it into ancient mythology.  Often the term Wyrm is used to describe all incarnations of bipedal dragonic or serpent like creatures and Lindworm is a favored term in Europe where most are depicted as land monsters.  However, the sand and sea forms are described and depicted by other cultures and I felt warranted their own classification.  In more recent times ice, lava and forest forms as well as a few others have entered the scene through games and television.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
Re: Darcie's Spore Creatures - New Wyrms, high res picture
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 09:21:23 am »
Nice Wyrms. I've always pictured Wyrms as sleeker and smaller dragons. Perhaps being more wing than body.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 12:16:13 pm »
I love all your creatures, especially the raw chicken. Very creative!
"Ooh rabba la dee teeb, ooh babba labba squeeb!"

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 07:29:21 am »
Nice Wyrms. I've always pictured Wyrms as sleeker and smaller dragons. Perhaps being more wing than body.

Like most mythical creatures wyrms come in a ton of variations based on the time period and region you look at.  Technically the term wyrm is interchangeable with worm,wurm,dragon,serpent,and European dragon (you can call a European dragon a wyrm but not visa versa apparently).  There isn't any one consistent feature required, each blended into the next so they range from legless to biped to quadriped to wingless to all wings etc.  I chose to go with the rendition from the dark ages that states wingless bipeds because I could not find any other term used to describe these creatures other than wyrm and lindworm.  The sleek large winged creatures fit better under the European dragon name for me so you will be seeing some in the future :)

One more note on the history of wyrms.  Apparently there was some confusion about various pieces of art during all those years of one culture wiping out another in Europe.  Wyrm (also spelled Worm and Wurm) was used for any giant reptile monster by several groups.  This actually included the hydra at one point. When these groups got land back from vikings they saw the viking sea monsters and said oh look at the wyrms  apparently totally missing the concept of them being aquatic.  Pretty soon all the "wyrm" art in the area turned into bipedal reptile monsters that walked on land.  Meanwhile the term worm was being used for things like earth worms.  Enter the third confusion of the sand swimming/burrowing reptiles.  We have "worms" with scales here, and what do people think, oh you mean SAND WYRMS, tada, rendition three.  The cool thing is rendition three probably came from stories of some very real animals.  Go and look at sand fish, glass lizards and mole lizards to name a few.  Funny how a becomes b and b becomes c.  It's the wonderful thing about mythology.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 07:42:08 am by Darcie »

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 07:43:51 am »
I love all your creatures, especially the raw chicken. Very creative!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.  It is also one of my favorites.

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
Re: Darcie's Spore Creatures - New Felines, high res picture
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 09:46:14 am »
After several days of my mom and I fighting for the one remaining functional computer in the house (two of them blew up within a week of each other, one is in the shop (laptop) the other should be rebuilt but it looks like I got a defective part so waiting on that one) I have fineshed the Feliforma series.  It actually includes two members of the Felis genera of Earth, but I thought I could include them.

Felis Background: Cats have been popular pets on Earth for a long time and although scholars have tried to determin these animals original point of domestication there is too much conflicting evidence to know for sure.  Ancient feline remains just suddenly appear throughout the world along side those of human habitations.  Confounding things further is the fact that the domestic house cat seems able to successfully cross and produce fertile hybrids with nearly every known little cat species found on the planet (making Felis catus a multiphologenetic species).  Around the time feline remains show up around human made structures so do stories of mystical and god like felines.

Feliforma Background:  The vast number of seemingly unrelated forms of feliforma brings about the suspicion that they may indeed be the product of some higher being's genetic experimentation.  However, it is clear that they are, at least in part, closely related to if not directly descended from the felines found roaming the wilds of planet Earth.  Of the upright walking forms, Basteta seem to be the oldest and it has been suggested that their ancestors where part of an advanced civilization which modified local species' genetic makeup to produce the modern feliforms.  Perhaps these ancestors were even once warshipped as gods on planet Earth before moving to another home planet where some disaster of tinkering with their own forms resulted in the loss of some technology and the creation of the other species of upright walking cats.  This theory however fails to explain the origin of Basteta it'self and how they suddenly received god status on Earth.  An opposing theory suggest that Felis catus, the house cat, was taken as a sample by another race and brought throughout the universe as pet and vermin slayer.   Later a group of creatures fond of the feline form may have created a collection of similar creatures that evolved on different planets and housed them all on one world, creating the illusion that Feliforma are more closely related than they really are.  Controversy aside, feliforms are a diverse and beautiful multiphylogenetic group of organisms.  It is, however, likely only a matter of time before the cleaver upright walking forms begin to directly compete for planet supremacy.

http://www.geocities.com/gemwhite/spore/images/cat1.jpg If image fails to load click here.

Artist's Notes:  It took a while to figure out how to create a feline form using SPORE CC as Maxis apparently did not think to include feline specific parts.  Even the "Kitty" ears are not exactly what one would expect on a cat.  The biggest issue however had to be the short strait muzzle of the cat.  Without a cat nose or triangular head making a cat seemed near impossible.  Thankfully, I have found that a satisfactory muzzle can be built over the upper jaw of several basic mouths by placing a pair of "Knurl Down" on the tip followed by a single centered "Snortle" turned upside down on an angle.  By all means feel free to use this technique in creating your own feline forms.  "House Cat" makes a good four legged template model and "Basteta" makes a good template for biped felines.  They are a shortcut to the leg and arm work if nothing else.  I am rather fond of how this collection turned out and I hope you like them as much as I do.

Extra notes:  Angelicats and Catbirds have a tiny nested bird mouth in their heads to ensure they sing.  Megachiroptercats use a different base mouth to make them look scary and sound spooky.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 10:09:07 am by Darcie »

Offline K3rnan

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Darcie's Spore Creatures - New Felines (Cats), high res picture
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 12:21:16 pm »
I am genuinely impressed with your skill in creating those feline creatures.  I had a feeling it might be possible using several parts but simply do not have the skill, or indeed patience, needed to work it out myself.  I am definitely looking forward to seeing some of your creations in the full game!

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 01:24:30 pm »
Feral Cat is probably the most feline like. Really great creatures. My Cheetah barely compares with these.

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 01:29:03 pm »
VERY nice cats, you got the facial characteristics very well.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 05:37:18 pm »
Basteta is like Catwoman or something!  :P

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 05:41:48 pm »
So man cats! Ahhh!

Offline Anisi

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 04:53:31 am »
Wow I love your Wyrm series! And I like how you made the cat muzzles. I'll have to try that out once I get the game.

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 02:40:42 pm »
I'm working on an equine series right now.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 11:12:47 pm »
I have had the same trouble with making cat heads my self. I was rather pleased with the way my Lion head turned out but never could get a comon house cat just right for a long while i had what looked more like a wolf muzzle. In theend i got something I was happy with but had a real cartoony look. In the future I'll be using your suggestions for sure.

Offline WeatherMAN

• Sea Battler
  • ^ He's rocking out ^
    • View Profile
    • My Spore Creations!
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 07:55:26 am »
Darcie, thanks so much for the tips on making the cats... It is really really helping me out turning the creatures I had that were supposed to be cat-like into actual cat looking things instead of a hand-waving "this is a cat and not a dog" description... now people will know my Taranisians (see avatar) are supposed to be cats (the new version isn't up yet as I am still playing with your tricks)!

Great job on ALL your creations - looking forward to some tricks you find in the equine series!

Lots of thumbs up / comments coming you way!
Visit: My Spore Creations | My Sporepedia Profile
...Please Comment & Vote Them Up! Their may be cookies involved...
OK... so there aren't any cookies... do it because I have an undying need to get approval from people I've never me

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 10:50:09 am »
Darcie, thanks so much for the tips on making the cats... It is really really helping me out turning the creatures I had that were supposed to be cat-like into actual cat looking things instead of a hand-waving "this is a cat and not a dog" description... now people will know my Taranisians (see avatar) are supposed to be cats (the new version isn't up yet as I am still playing with your tricks)!

Great job on ALL your creations - looking forward to some tricks you find in the equine series!

Lots of thumbs up / comments coming you way!

I'm so happy xD  I can't wait to see how it turns out.  The cat thing was really annoying to me too, I'm just glad to have found a work around to share :)

Offline Tleilaxu

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 11:29:39 am »
I also want to thank you for your tips on feline heads, it helped a lot in making my Rakshasa :D. I used Heycorns instead of Knurl Downs though.

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
Re: Darcie's Spore Creatures - New Equines (Horses), high res picture
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 04:41:46 pm »
Okay, let me just say that peoples love of horses must be really up there because there are literally dozens of different mythical horse forms out there (and well over 100 names for them).  True is, I kept burning out on the equine form and had to go and make other things... like Jitter Joe (a new foodiforma to go with doughnut beast).  I've also been mixing it in as detox for spending hours on end writing guides to the game on my webpage.  Each thing burns me out (except foodiforma cus it's so funny) but each other renews so it all works out.  You can expect to see a few other new series popping up soon that came from this strategy including simplexa (small simple creatures) and Micro (series made up of bite sized little critters that aren't necessarily small in abilities).  Also, new set of foodiforma coming up because I can't help it.  I see food in the shapes when I get hungry or something.  Okay anyhow, welcome to the wild world of Equuiforma, the horse creatures, series #1!

Equuis Background:  The original Equuis species were of several forms.  Some where large, powerfull, heavily built animals and others were small, sleek, quick minded creatures.  These different species were domesticated by different groups, but it didn't take long for the blood of the larger cold weather species and the small desert species to mix once people started caring for them.  However, even large horses of the ancient world were small by todays standard.  Most would be considered ponies and a rider would be lucky if his feet did not scuff the ground as he road.  This is in part why early horses were used mostly to pull carts and seen as more fancy lawn ornaments of the rich than work animals.  However, once they became more established the horse's size quickly increased and with it the uses man found for them.  For a long time however, it would be the mule (an infertile hybrid between a donkey and a horse) that would be valued as a work animal.  Some horses were domesticated for milk, meat and as pack animals, a fact that may surprise some.  Whatever the case, it is clear that these animals beauty captured the minds of people everywhere and their presence in mythology is nothing short of overwhelming.

Equuiforma Background:  It has been generally accepted that all equuiform stem from a few highly fertile individuals that possessed the ability to interbreed outside of the species barrier.  These creatures have been called shapeshifters and gods, but little else is known about them, save for there appearances across worlds and cultures.  On earth they are recorded by several cultures, including the ancient greeks and romans.

http://www.geocities.com/gemwhite/spore/images/horse.jpg If image fails to load click here.

Artist's Notes:  So Maxis was nice enough to give us a kinda sort of horse head, the ruminanteater(draw out it's length to get the most horsey), I will try to ignore the fact that horses are not ruminants...  They also left out the tail.  It took a while to come up with ways to make a good tail, but once I got going I found several.  Extending the spine or adding a limb for a tail and then cloaking it in feather type objects works as does placing a cornutopia, although the latter method is very tricky to get just right.  Manes have proven to be a rather flexable area of interest and I have had luck using a large manner of items for this effect. 

Legs can be a bit of a problem, when build from a photo of a horse's skeleton the creature will not animate in anything close to correct.  I spent hours a day for several days before I got a balance of animation and form I could live with.  I seriously reccomend just borrowing one of mine as a base if you need 4 equine legs.The two legged horses were done a couple of ways.  Sea horses have actual feet and haul themselves around and look very much like a seal while doing so.  The Mericorn actually uses kurl Don's flipped upside down and distorted to hooves held up in the air.  At first I had little hands hidden inside, but I could not stop them from poking out during 3 of the dances and decided to leave them off.

If you are wondering about mericorns, they have forked limb with a tiny foot attached that I smooshed into the rest of the form by lowering the body down, the other end of the fork has a distorted rammer on the end.  The foot looks a lot like one of there spines and is not very obvious even in animation.  The end effect is an awesome creature that can bounce about on that nice coily tail.  I'm deeply tempted to replace the hooves with fins at some point and use them in tribe+ stages.

The underworld steed (I am keeping my content kid safe, but I'm sure you know the more common name fore these) is a carnivore.  It took about 40 minutes of fiddling with different mouths and spine configurations to produce a version I was happy with.  It's not something so easy to reproduce, but please feel free to pick mine appart to see how it was done, or just borrow mine strip it down and use as a template.  I will give one hint, if you put an extra back segment on an end, attach a mouth and then use the arrows to remove the extra back segment you can sometimes get the mouth to sit further into the "head" than if you just stick it on.  I use that method a lot for refining neck angles.

Thats basically it.

Extra notes:  I did not nest different mouths for sounds this time because the horse anatomy eats up too much complexity.

P.S.  I know I am missing a lot of forms here, but I think this is more than enough for series one.  :)  skelital horses, 8-legged horses, donkeys ect will have to wait... as will centaurs.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 04:52:49 pm by Darcie »

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
Re: Darcie's Spore Creatures - New Equuines (Horses), high res picture
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 07:36:46 pm »
Wow, fantastic horses! I love how you made the Mericorn!

Offline Anisi

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 07:48:32 pm »
Horses are so hard to make accurately in CC, I'd say you've done some of the best I've seen.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 08:29:32 pm »
.... Yer good.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 08:46:56 pm »
Wow horses were going to be my next project in the CC when I was done with my current one seems I'll have to find something else now that you have more or less made the definative in horses.

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2008, 08:17:32 am »
Wow horses were going to be my next project in the CC when I was done with my current one seems I'll have to find something else now that you have more or less made the definative in horses.

Don't be silly, I'm sure people would love to see more horses by different people.  There are sooooooo many kinds.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2008, 12:13:33 pm »
Those are some crazy ponies, good job.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2008, 05:15:20 pm »
I just uploaded a backlog of various critters I've been making.  Basically I dragged out the spell check and got them cleaned up.  Eventually I will group them into presentation packs, but if your interested they are up now.  I mostly have been doing very tiny and very simple creatures to populate worlds at the begining of the game.  If you want to see a super freaky one, load the gnat into the CC and make a baby.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2008, 06:59:58 pm »

Don't be silly, I'm sure people would love to see more horses by different people.  There are sooooooo many kinds.

It's cool I got a new idea anyway something I like a whole lot better than horses anyway. No reading my mind and stealing it (I probably should hurry and finish my current project so I can get in 1st.)

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
Re: Darcie's Spore Creature Sets - New fuseiform story
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2008, 01:20:57 pm »
Introducing the Fuseiforms
These are my own little original creations inspired by the biology of plants and angler fish. 

-------------------------------------
Begin the Scientistís story: Fuseiforms
-------------------------------------

Exerts from the log of Captain Cornelius of the Scientistís Fuseiform Expedition:

Star date !%)&)*:

Recently a small pod containing several eggs of unknown origin was retrieved from itís newly acquired orbit around our planet.  It appears that this unmanned vessel is in communication with a planet in an unexplored galaxy not far from our home world.  Hatching the eggs has revealed some interesting information about the species that may have sent them, but it is clear that these animals are not the sentient beings who crafted the pod.  Our ships have set course for the suspected planet of inhabitation in our quest to better understand these life forms and those that sent them on a trip into space, which we assume was in an effort to make contact.

From the eggs that have hatched and those that died in various stages we have been able to create a fairly good picture of the life forms biology.  I have named them Fuseiforms.

The above image is a representation of the typical modern fuseiform, although it is not meant to be any specific species.

When fuseiforms lay a shelled egg it actually contains a pair of embryos.  One is diploid, that is to say it has two copies of each.  However, the second embryo is a sterile Triploid, meaning it has three sets of each chromosome. (For more about triploids read section A at bottom of the post)

During development it appears that the two fuseiform siblings grow together at the spine to create a genetic mosaic, or chimera. (For more about genetic mosaics read section B at the bottom of the post)

The illustration our computers produced shows how the tissues of the siblings usually meet.  Also visible are the two little brains of each sibling and the larger round stomachs used in digestion by each.

If the functional body of the smaller sibling is lost it has been observed to grow back rapidly while relying on the support of itís larger sibling.  This feature seems to have lead to some species actually using the smaller sibling as a lure to capture prey.  In one case it looks as though a reduced triploid has lost itís own independent mind and been reduced to little more than a rapidly growing tool for gathering more food, although this specimen is still quite younger.

In most modern fuseiforms one sibling will grow larger than the other.  Also, one will be a herbivore with specialized stomach while the other will be a carnivore with a different type of specialized stomach.  More primitive species seem to share a single stomach and both heads will eat the same sort of foods.  It is believed that the more primitive the fusiform the more the two siblings resemble one another in general.  Perhaps the very first fusiform differed little from two headed conjoined twin reptiles popular at the fairs of Earth.

From the alien images included in the pod and the eggs that have successfully hatched to date it is apparent that the world of the fuseiforms is vast and variable.  What surprises lay in store for our expedition on arrival, only time will tell.

Images of the first fuseiforms to mature:
Fuseiform (Mosaic vulgar)
This little beastie is a pure blend of cute and ugly.  The little fellow up top is simply charming, but until it had gotten very use to us the blind lower creature was inclined to bite most frequently.  Once it accidentally got a hold of the little fellow and gave us all quite a shock, but within a few days it's sibling had grown back.  Examination of a second specimen that died in hatching has revealed that the brain of the little fellow is safely housed away from the jaws of it's sibling.  For now we call this creature the common fuseiform because it was the namesake of the group and the first to hatch, although it is possible that it is not actually the most common of the group.

Rocky Fuseiform (Mosaic pebbles)
Although tests have confirmed that one sibling is diploid and one triploid they remain very similar in overall external morphology.  They are quite the little characters and get into everything.  Clearly the heavy rocky armor and stealthy appearance has made them rather bold.

River Fuseiform (Mosaic aqua)
A polar opposite of the common fuseiform, this creature is composed of a large herbivore with a tiny carnivore sprouting from it's back.  They seem rather fond of water and the herbivore takes great delight in mixing anything we feed it in it's water bowl first.  The tiny carnivore is at constant work preening and grooming the larger sibling. It was a trick to convince it to eat at all, but finally we found that it has a taste for small insects and pests which it gobbles up during it's frenzied grooming sessions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A supplemental with some fun facts  ;D

A)  Brief overview of what it means to be triploid on planet Earth
Triploid creatures are sterile because they can't properly divide up their chromosomes during reproduction and they are usually formed by accident when a sperm or egg cell fails to divide before combining (in most higher organisms, such as humans, triploid embryos die at an early stage of development). The only way for any freak triploid creature that survives to adulthood to reproduce is to clone itself (as is seen in some seedless cultivars of popular fruit plants on Earth).  However, in some cases, nature produces a triploid intentionally so that the sterile triploid's tissue can help it's siblings.  Plants that produce seeds on Earth include a mutant triploid sibling to act as a food source for the little diploid embryo.  The three sets of chromosomes tells the triploid to grow rapidly and store food while it's still connected to its mother.  Then, later, when it is time for the diploid embryo to grow into a new plant it absorbs its triploid sibling and gets a better start at life.  Since the triploid and diploid share so much DNA, it also helps the triploid pass on itís genes.

B) Brief overview of what it means to be a chimera on Planet Earth
Chimeras of two or more diploid siblings occur from time to time on earth.  There are several causes, but one of the most interesting is when one fraternal twin absorbs it's sibling during an early stage of development (fraternal twins are genetically different).  The end result is that part of the body of the lone person born has one DNA code and another part of their body has a different DNA code.  Normally this goes unnoticed, but now and then it will show up in two different zones of hair color or two different colored eyes.  Most often it is found when that person needs an organ transplant because the body will reject an organ that was expected to match only for doctors to discover that the region of the body they took the sample from (to make the match) has different DNA from the region they wanted to connect the new organ to.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 01:22:30 pm by Darcie »

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
Re: Darcie's Spore Creature Sets - New Grendel, Ettin and Norn
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2008, 03:00:20 pm »
I grew up with a series of games called Creatures.  I loved it so much that I made third party life forms to run around in every version.  These are Spore remakes of them.  I also included a generic grendel and ettin to help round out the list.  So for all you old Cyberlife fans, this is for you.

A little more information:

Silver Earthen Norns:  I made these with an on-line friend, Dan, who I have since lost touch with.  We used sprites already hidden in the game and cleaned them up a bit to make these.  In the Creatures 1 game they are like molten silver.  Unfortunately the computer I am using right now can't support the stupid shading procedures that spore uses so I can't get a shiny screenshot.  My actual computer should be able to though once it's rebuilt.
Images from a fan site that actually even still has the download *gasp*http://www.c1-database.creaturesforum.de/database/rassen/rassen.htm

Iguanorns:  I edited a bunch of sprites in the Creatures 2 game to make these.  I gave the sprites to an on-line friend "Ali" who ran the site albia2000.  He then created genetics to go with them and they were included in an on-line retail download expantion for that game.  The markings didn't translate quite right, but they actually turned out rather well for spore.
http://www.chaoscreated.com/montu/index.htmThis is the site that hosts my Iguanorns and the Montu expansion.
image of sprites from a fan site.

Colorbright Norns: I feel like this is a cursed project.  I've lost my data 3 times with only partial recovery each.  I started it back 6 years ago and with college and my computers and drives and backup self destructing and whatnot haven't fineshed yet, although at this point once I salvage the computer again they mostly will just need sprites cleaned... :P I hate sprite cleaning.  Anyhow, spore doesn't like my design and I couldn't get even close to the coloring I wanted, but oh well.

This was the concept art for the male colorbrights I did all those years ago
http://www.geocities.com/gemwhite/creatures3/breeds/colorbrights/index.html

Grendel and Ettin:  So these guys are my generic versions of the ones found in all the creatures games.  I never made a proper breed of either to call my own, though I wish I had had the time to.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 03:14:16 pm by Darcie »

Offline Anisi

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2008, 11:21:49 pm »
Aww I remember the Norns. Fun times. :)

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 12:58:08 pm »
Wooo, Creatures creatures! Excellent work. I like the Ettin, he must've been tricky to do.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2008, 05:18:04 am »
CREATURES! =DDD

Also, love the 'fun facts'. Granted, I knew them from biology and general reading, but still good, none-the-less =]

The horses are great. You wouldn't mind taking a look at my Unicorn and giving me some advice?
No matter what I try I can't make it look... right...

Offline K3rnan

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2008, 05:28:13 am »
Your creatures are fantastic... Your guides and descriptions are fantastic... is there anything your not good at!?  Seriously, I am in awe at your creativeness.  Keep creating these fantastic creatures, your giving me lots of inspiration!

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2008, 06:04:59 pm »
Wow, thanks for all the nice comments everyone.  I put a lot of time into this stuff because I really do want to help design games some day.
Yeah... the ettin took a while.  I had to settle on a few things :P  I think I made like 5 versions over a few weeks trying to get something good.

For GCool: Okay unicorn tips.  I downloaded your guy and really it's very nice.  Horse legs are a bit tricky in spore because the animation gets messed up a lot if you pass a certain threshold on joint angles.  You can try straitening a limb a little at a time and watching it animate if you want to get it right up to the edge.

I re-uploaded your unicorn with some angles that work but I tried to keep them as much like your style as I could and still make it horsey.  If you compare the two it might give you some ideas on how you want to fuss with your own leg design a bit, or feel free to just use the one I came up with.  I left some wiggle room on the unicorn legs for straitening if you want to fuss with it and get a feel for it etc.

In general I recommend looking at photos of animals when making your own, even pretend ones, to get an idea of how things stick together.  I also usually bring up a skeleton picture if I can because sometimes a still flesh image hides a joint that may matter more than expected.  As for your unicorn, the leg adjustment is the main recommendation, the second would be to narrow the spine between the two back legs to bring them in closer to each other to make a more .... "proper" butt if one can say that, lol.  Hope that helps and I really do love it's overall look and feel.  The tail is just lovely!

GCool
Darcie mini mod

In other news...
My computer is alive again!  After a faulty power source shorted out (despite being on a surge protector) and blew up my mother board I ordered new parts only to find nothing would work.  It took a month just to figure out the stupid replacement motherboard was defective!  Anyhow, two months later I have my shiny new computer with it's slightly older hard drive still intact.  The best part though... this is my 3D graphic computer and OMG spore is like a whole new set of eye candy on this baby.  Anyhow, expect to see some cooler textures and full render images from me soon.  I'm also going to test and see if my old texture jobs remain flat like I saw them or get wonky.  If they get wonky there may be some remakes.

edit:  I just went through and tossed comment tags on all my creatures noting changes from the shown image to pixel shader 2 compatible computers.  Only a few really benefited from a full texture update and I uploaded the new version of those.  I also uploaded an unchanged version of the silver earthen norns because they look a million times better with the shader.  Most of the creatures are enhanced on some level by it, a few stay about the same and a few loose something, but I was unable to find anything better.  The bad ones, as I mentioned, were adjusted and re-uploaded.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:00:49 pm by Darcie »

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
Re: Darcie's Spore Creature Sets - tips for GCool, thanks and new comp
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2008, 01:47:53 pm »
Introducing Foodiforma Series two: The fast and the ferocious!

Slightly less random in content from series one this set features an array of living fast food items (and a whole lot of bad puns).  I also included the Mushdoom here because it needed a home (poor ickle killer fungus).  Beware, these creatures have gotten past there yumminess weakness by causing would be predators to succumb to obesity and heart failure in only a few bites.

If you plan on hunting these guys I suggest first finding yourself a diet buddy.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:51:02 pm by Darcie »

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
Re: Darcie's Spore Creature Sets - Oddballz!
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2008, 09:49:56 am »
Intro: Lets face it, if there was ever a set of preexisting game characters that belong in the Spore world it has to be P.F. Magic's wacky virtual pets from the early 90's, the Oddballz.  My very first website was about Oddballz and it really lead me down the path of game modifying.  I would make new flavors and publish them on line and eventually I got handy enough with the computer to even use a hex editor to make my own new breeds.  Below I present a collection of all of the official Oddballz breeds created by P.F. Magic back in the day, adapted to Spore.  I think they will like there new home :)

Story:  The void is a place in every computer where things go missing.  That harvest moon cow that walked out of your barn through the wall, never to return, it is there, in the void.  That norn that took the sub and vanished, the void.  That paper you spent all night writing that has gone missing, the void.  Those socks that have no matching pair... the void.  Oddly enough, occasionally things find there way out of this mysterious place and back into our world, sometimes they end up in places they might not otherwise be found.  This time it looks like the Oddballz have found there way to Spore, what lies in wait for them only time will tell.

If you can't view this image please click herehttp://www.geocities.com/gemwhite/spore/images/oddballz1.jpg

Artists Notes:
Stupid little round noses... What made maxis not think to include a basic sphere I don't know.  If any program shows how much a person can do with just balls and rods, P.F. Magic's petz series does.  Anyhow, recreating the standard Oddballz funky shiny black nose was a bit tricky and I pulled it off a few ways.  For ones with a black body an up side down occulus did the trick (like Quadrapus).  For some the only reasonable option seemed to be the wrottontail (like Zott).  In order to make it more stable I actually attached it below or above the place I wanted it and then tipped it into the flesh.  This prevents it from waving all over and looking like it's floating mid air.  The final way I got around the round issue was with Honker whose nose I left hollow because that was sort of the impression he originally gave and the shadowing makes for a good dark space.  102 was a special problem because it's nose is actually 3 parts.  I also realised that maxis left the color the "chuffle" (dog nose) the same as the body color which makes it even more useless than I though... but anyhow, I ended up using a trio of modified "Nurples" hooked into the back of the mouth and rotated to make the nose.

Eyes... Soooo, the simple classic Oddballz googly eye has no counterpart in the CC.  It may be possible for me to give them old school eyes once the full game is out because of cell modes left over eyes, but I'm rather fond of how they turned out this time.  I basically went for eyelid expression when choosing eyes for these guys, that was the one factor that varied a bit between the original Oddballz eyes.

Paint Jobs... Some breeds lended themselves well to being painted (like Zott) other did not (like Lips).  I did the best I could and to get around a few detail jobs I got creative.  You will see that Quadrapus has black toes and little yellow foot stripes just like always.  I pulled that off by capping it's feet with up side down jellybuttons and then setting a derma bark on each. 

More foot Jobs... Honker also has a fancy foot job.  In it's case I tagged on Wrottontails and turned them over and in on slimed down "The Geckonator" toes.  I did this to enhance this breedz fluffiness look as well as to give it properly blue stubby feet.  Jester is the last with a Fancy foot job.  I tacked "pomp pom" onto it's back heals and rotated them around to produce bell like structures.  Snowbo doesn't really have anything fancy, just sunken and then swollen limbs covering up "Suctoped" feet.

Old Tricks:  You'll see some of my old tricks used a bit too.  I give more depth to faces by using other parts stuck on or tilted in to give cheeks and other effects.  Eyebrows can be made a number of ways using ear type parts and placing jaws on the chin area of a head segment and then rotating them up can do a lot for blending and improving form.  Also, you'll see a few have hidden mouth and added teeth etc etc, all variations on the same sort of techniques. 

Snowbo:  Normally I don't use "Empteyes" for anything but eyes because it looks stupid animating, but since Snowbo actually animated rather like it's mouth was blinking in the original Oddballz, I made an acception.  It actually looks rather good in this case.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:16:34 am by Darcie »

Offline Alvin Flummox

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2008, 12:40:48 pm »
You have some great designs :D Your hawking made me laugh lol.

Keep up the great work, you obviously put a lot of work into your messages and descriptions. Im lookin forward to what your shiny new computer can help you come up with :)
My Sporepedia. Please take a look and comment :)
Also, feel free to look at My thread

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2008, 01:21:38 pm »
Thanks, wow, you found the Hawking tribute fast.  Yeah, it's meant to be a tribute and a little humor in honor of Dr. Steven Hawking. 

Read the descriptions in order for a bit of a mini story :)

Hawkling
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Darcie%3Asast-500009998061

Hawkin
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Darcie%3Asast-500009998067

Hawking
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Darcie%3Asast-500009998069

Hawk Master
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-Darcie%3Asast-500009998073

------------------------------------
Spin-off story: The Scientist - Origins
------------------------------------

Story in relation to "The Scientist" Empire:
Although the planet on which the Hawk Master and related species evolved had been seeded with what was originally human DNA (according to the BioKings) the group responsible for this action was never found and has never since returned to the planet.  Left to their own devices the Hawkians created a vast and extravagant global empire, all the while expanding their technology for viewing the Cosmo's.  Despite all the thinking and technological developments that took place over the eons the Hawkian species were hesitant to leave their home world and enter the vast reaches of space.  It was the cybernetic Hawk Masters that finally made the leap and with their disproportionally massive understanding of the universe, that they had just begun to explore, it wasn't long until "The Scientist" empire started scouting their colonies and fleets for allies.

These days it is common to find a Hawk Master or two on most large "The Scientist" vessels.  Most are kept on board as consultents in understanding spacial phenomena encountered as well as engineers.  In colonies they often act as teachers and mentors for the young of others.  (their own young gain extra early insight from their mechanical implants and a low level form of telepathy)

Want to read the first primary story about "The Scientist" Empire?  It begins here.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 07:26:49 pm by Darcie »

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
Re: Darcie's Spore Creature Sets - main page under reconstruction
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2008, 01:55:44 pm »
lol
...just: lol