Author Topic: CC - Chris Hecker wants examples of bad animation!  (Read 33676 times)

Offline Cyrus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
CC - Chris Hecker wants examples of bad animation!
« on: June 18, 2008, 05:15:47 pm »
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=srch-maxischecker%3Asast-500000030628

Chris Hecker (the lead programmer for procedural animation in Spore) wants examples of broken animation for debugging purposes. 

Tag your creature with "breakprocanim" and Maxis will search for creatures with that tag and take a look at them.  It might be useful in the description of the creature to describe what's going wrong.

The more feedback you can give the team, the better they can make the final product in September!

Looks like even I was being optimistic with a March 07 release date...

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
Re: CC - Chris Hecker wants examples of bad animation!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 05:19:24 pm »
Broken how? I can break the animation in all sorts of ways. Disjointed limbs... disappearing details... limbs passing through each other bothers me and should be considered broken (though it's not :()
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 05:21:24 pm »
Actually, some of the fins animate pretty badly, like half of what is supposed to stick to the creature comes out of it.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »
Does he mean things like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7seijTW1GHA where collision detection doesn't work or does he mean like when we get graphical artifacts and just plain crazyness?  I somehow got an arm going through the body of a curled up creature I was making and it was doing all sorts of weird stuff.

(Unfortunately the specimin I linked to above told me that it uploaded but I can not find it in the database, so I guess they aren't going to get that one)
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline Azriel

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 05:56:10 pm »
hmmm, I noticed in the demo CC (haven't tried it with the full cc), if you make a creature without legs, if it slithers, it does not look right sometimes, it has a chunk of tail that disappears.  Especially, if you make an L form, were instead of legs it rides a tail.

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 06:15:27 pm »
i tried making a slithering creature today... and it didn't slither at alll... it seemed to float around most of the time and would move very strangely

it was so weird i actually thought the edtor didn't do slithering altogether

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ordus inferi - Age of Conan Guild
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 06:24:30 pm »
Collision is not an animation issue, and I doubt will be completely rectified. Make sure you are reporting actual "animation" issues, like the way the slither animations looks...which is usually very poor.

If Halo 3 can not completely fix collision then how the hell is a game like spore with procedural animation going to fix it???

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 06:25:47 pm »
There is no collision, at all, with a creature and its body.

The mean like weird things, like a knee all the sudden jumps up above the head or does things it shouldn't.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 06:36:09 pm »
There is no collision, at all, with a creature and its body.

The mean like weird things, like a knee all the sudden jumps up above the head or does things it shouldn't.

I know a real awesome way to do that!

Make a split limb.
Move the split parts as close as they can be without becoming one limb.
Place a mouth between these limbs, but not on the elbow joint.
Make sure it looks like both limbs are holding the head, and then test drive.

It will animate weirdly. Which is said because I wanted both limbs to hold the one head. Apparently a part can only stick to one point at a time. :(
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 06:36:51 pm »
this should be stickied.

Offline Robertbobby91

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Don't forget to vote.
    • View Profile
    • If silence is golden, then my house is pyrite
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 06:43:06 pm »
yea. If this is the editor, call me unimpressed.
Oh sure, the clay shaping is cool, but it lacks immersion.
Visit my blog: http://robertbobby91.blogspot.com/

SAT: Critical Reading: 680 Math: 720,  Writing: 690,  essay: 12
WOOT! 2090 TOTAL!!!!

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 06:47:45 pm »
i also found some trouble when making tripedal creatures or leg pods... if there's a single hind leg with a back bending knee, it does produce some strange movements where the knee intersects itself because the stride is too big for it's lenght....

it's a small problem... but still... could be improved

oh and just to clarify, collision and self-intersection are 2 completely different things... when a model goes through the ground, it's a collision problem... when an elbow goes through a leg, it's self intersection

the only way to correct self intersection glitches is to improve the animations, because no game that i know of calculates and prevents self intersections, which would require some serious number crunching.... and collisions are a whole different story and it's not what the maxis guys are looking for anyways... not at this moment anyways ;)

Cheers

HarvesteR
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:52:49 pm by HarvesteR »

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 06:52:50 pm »
I noticed an error when I tried to make a creature with a trunk, the eyes on top, and the mouth underneath. Kept driving me crazy. The mouth would just kind of slither around the trunk to move, and the eyes would often times drift backwards in a horrible fashion.

Thing is, though, when I went to re-create it just now, I couldn't. The head moved just fine. Then I accidentally created an adorable creature ... even when trying to create something broken, you make something that looks awesome. >_>

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 06:56:46 pm »
yea... the editor is unpredictable... possibly because it's all hand-drawn, so even if you try, you can't make a model that is exactly like another... so it's always a little different, and that can mean the difference between something working or not...

Offline Robertbobby91

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Don't forget to vote.
    • View Profile
    • If silence is golden, then my house is pyrite
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 06:58:00 pm »
ah, chaos theory.
Visit my blog: http://robertbobby91.blogspot.com/

SAT: Critical Reading: 680 Math: 720,  Writing: 690,  essay: 12
WOOT! 2090 TOTAL!!!!

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 07:22:11 pm »
There is really no way you can have a system this open and at the same time have self collision detection while animating.  Doing so would require specs that only a handful of people have.  And even the collision detection you see in other games is faked with limits, and animations being done by hand.  The computer has to figure out the animation, and it has to do it within a second.

As for animation breaking, the problem I see most is making a biped with two arms, and the head get smushed into the chest while walking or doing other animations.  I've had to change around some creatures to fix this problem.   But now that I know they're looking for problems, I can complete one and upload it to show them. 

And at the same time, I am amazed at some of the things it does well.  Simply amazed. 

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 07:53:23 pm »
I think by animations, they don't mean walk, but "scared" or "sit" or "flip", and those. I had a creature whose arms would go backwards when he did the scared one...now I just need to find it.
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 07:56:25 pm »
I just uploaded one whose foot freaks out when sitting and dancing xD
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • the tiniest evil thing known to man and willosaurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 08:14:42 pm »
there are now a dozen creatures with this tag. i guess submissions will grow when the word get spread around more.
Quote from: ilikedirt
your spores are wack

Fatal Error: You're creature is crap. You're computer will now explode.

check out my sporepedia page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/vonboy

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 08:27:31 pm »
Odd...I uploaded the creature..

At least, i think I did. You just hit the share button, right?

edit: Odd. http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ast-500001146457%3Asast-500001146457

Doesn't show up when I search it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 08:32:35 pm by Gungnir »

Offline Rabellaka

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 08:32:43 pm »
yeah... sometimes uploaded creatures to spore.com aren't showing up right away or at all and are getting "lost in cyberspace".  I can't figure out a way to resubmit.

Offline Allch Chcar

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • City of Refuge
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 09:06:43 pm »
  Thankfully most of the animation problems I've encountered can be worked around to perform better. It seems the editor has more power and freedom than the animation has ability. Singing breaks most creatures due to the "head" pulling back into an unnatural angle.

My lil bro created a tall big headed creature and when I maxed the spine segments out for him, it ended up displaying a broken flat spot whenever the creature would turn it's head. The only way to get it to stop was reduce the size of all nearby spine segments except for the one the mouth was attached to. He didn't care, so I left the creature as he created it. He'd only look at the picture from now on anyway. At least it still looked the way he wanted it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTKJncbIyBs

Another case I attached a mouth to the end of an arm segment while attaching horns to a pair of arm segments in the middle of the segment. When the thing sang or dance the horns would flail wildly in every direction. When it sang it would pull it's head into it's turtle shaped body. I couldn't get the flailing to stop so I removed it's arms and stuck the mouth straight onto the main body. Annoying, but it fixed it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOs_7JfphU

I'll link them after I mark them. I really like how the limbs stick together when placed close to the body and another limb. Although it can break the animation, it helped make gave one creature alot more "character." Accidentally cute too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBMfvY1IO9E
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:18:25 pm by Allch Chcar »
No Ph34r.
~ |CoR| Sgt-Allch Chcar*XP*

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 10:17:57 pm »
my lupegator sticks his arms into the ground when being scared, that counts for bad animation right :) and "spaaider" well, you kiunda see his mouth being detached from his body when he bites :P

Offline Bios Revision

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 10:20:26 pm »
The scared animation never looks right for me, and sometimes the creatures limbs twist up really badly.

I noticed that adding small detail pieces to fat areas seems to make the animation less blobby.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 10:48:48 pm »
I noticed that If you put a spike on the end of a tail, then dont add legs, it will walk on its tail, but the spike will stay in the air where the tail was.

Offline MaxisChecker

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 11:19:55 pm »
Hi, thanks for getting the word out!  I updated my UseMeForMessages guy to be a little more clear about what we're looking for.  I'll quote it here:

"Please tag creatures that animate poorly with 'breakprocanim' so
we can find them.  By poorly, I mean popping, limbs buckling,
extreme jerkiness, parts flying off, bad gait, and that sort of
thing...but not intra-creature penetration/clipping/collision,
meaning legs are allowed to go through each other, etc. You don't
need to send them to me or comment on this guy to report them,
we'll search the database for the 'breakprocanim' tag. Thanks!"

The most useful things to report are "the first thing you tried that didn't work", if that makes sense.  It's great that players can and do usually work around any wonkiness before they share their creatures, but that makes it hard to see if we missed something that trips people up when they first start out.  Obviously anybody trying to break it will be able to do so pretty easily, so those extreme examples aren't as useful unless you find a way that seems nonintuitive (whatever that means for a Spore creature :).  Some problems have been fixed since the CC code was branched, and we still have fixes in the works for ship, but we won't be able to fix everything, so no promises on a given creature, but the examples definitely help us test.

Advanced bug reporting tips for the highly motivated:  If you find a way to break it, try to make the simplest creature that will cause the problem.  Save and don't lose the original "repro case" (the creature that reproduces the problem) in case you accidentally fix it and can't get it to break again, but try to take as many parts and limbs and extra stuff off while still having it break, that makes it easier for us to see what's going on.  Mention the animation(s) it breaks on (use the names on the tooltips, also the ones in edit mode), or if it's the gaits, mention that.  Also, if you can make a small change to the guy and it fixes the problem, note that, and maybe upload and tag the related fixed guy, and name him blah_fixed or whatever and mention him in the comments, and we'll find him.  Finally, its really easy to snow us under.  You guys outnumber us by a fair margin, so look at the existing breakprocanim creatures and see if there's already an example of the breakage you found, and if you see a "dupe" then don't bother uploading your version unless it's a substantially simpler repro or something.  Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's the same failure case, so when in doubt, upload him, but try to dedupe as much as you can so we don't spend too much time deduping.  Remember, when it comes to bug reports, it's all about quality instead of quantity, separating signal from noise takes time, and time is running short!  :)

Edit:  Oh, and if you can upload a video of the breakage to youtube and put a link in the creature comments, that's incredibly useful as well.  Saw a few people doing that already, great idea!

Thanks for helping out, back to the coding,
Chris

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:44:41 pm by MaxisChecker »

Offline Rct2mad

• Ultima Lord
  • =)
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Galore (Link may not work)
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 11:35:41 pm »
Okay Chris thanks for the news  :)
Uploaded one of mine btw (under the name of Rct2mad I think).

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 12:50:10 am »
I'll get right on it when I get home tonight! :)

Have you seen the issue where scared make long-armed creatures fly all the way to the back rather than curl up on the front? I'm wondering if that's the kind of thing you want. I'm going to reproduce it for you later but for now my creature "Buggy" has it. He's been tagged.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 01:03:26 am »
The scared animation, from what I've seen across a few creature's I've made, is that the hands try to "lock" on to the mouth, then an eye. It's particularity troublesome when the hand's default position is not only below the mouth, but also in front/behind it, then it goes to the "nearest" eye. Nearest seeming to be nearest to the hand's position from the mouth.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASRi8NNrq-c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASRi8NNrq-c</a>

Something's a bit off there...
Virus Buster.

Offline Slife

• Akalabeth Addict
  • A Duke of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 08:37:39 am »
Am I the only one amused that ChrisHecker is the animation CHecker?
All is number -Pythagoras

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 08:45:45 am »
I do think they should look into the fact that certain parts do pass through each other, such as the eyes passing through the jaws, the jaws passing through everything some of the arm weapons passing through other arms etc.
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline Talavar

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 09:38:20 am »
 Dont know if any oif you are having this problem, and i dont see a Section for it, but .. funny as it seems, i have NONE of the problems you guys are having, however i am having a sound issue. i have 2 sound cards, 1 is a realtech integrated Piece of crap that came with my computer.. the other is a SB-Live card. im running an Emachine W5243 Model with standard specs other than the Live card i installed. i removed windows vista after haveing TERRIBLE sound problems with multiple games, and that fixed the problem for all of those games.. now here comes spore. the game ive been waiting for 2 years to get.. i Install it and BAM! sound glitches everywhere again. what the hell is going on?  if you guys have any idea's lemmy know.. btw ive upgraded all drivers to current. and am running (Directx 9.0c June 2008)lol anyway here are my system specs and all my Directx crap. btw i reverted Realtec drivers (AGAIN) .. il be changing them here and there to different versions to try different things.. thanks in advance guys.
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/19/2008, 12:27:27
       Machine name: MY-MACHINE
   Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
       System Model: W5243
               BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+,  MMX,  3DNow, ~2.4GHz
             Memory: 1918MB RAM
          Page File: 235MB used, 3576MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
  DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
          Music Tab: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.
        Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
        Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405
     Manufacturer: NVIDIA
        Chip type: GeForce 6100 nForce 405
         DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
       Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_03D1&SUBSYS_26011019&REV_A2
   Display Memory: 512.0 MB
     Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (59Hz)
          Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
  Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
      Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
   Driver Version: 6.14.0011.7516 (English)
      DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
 Driver Date/Size: 5/2/2008 22:46:00, 6108160 bytes
      WHQL Logo'd: n/a
  WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
              VDD: n/a
         Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 5/2/2008 22:46:00, 6554496 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4091-11CF-F56E-0A0603C2CB35}
        Vendor ID: 0x10DE
        Device ID: 0x03D1
        SubSys ID: 0x26011019
      Revision ID: 0x00A2
      Revision ID: 0x00A2
      Video Accel:
 Deinterlace Caps: {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                   {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
                   {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                   {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
                   {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                   {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
                   {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                   {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
         Registry: OK
     DDraw Status: Enabled
       D3D Status: Enabled
       AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
 D3D7 Test Result: Not run
 D3D8 Test Result: Not run
 D3D9 Test Result: Not run

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
            Description: Realtek HD Audio output
 Default Sound Playback: Yes
 Default Voice Playback: Yes
            Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0883&SUBSYS_10192601&REV_1000
        Manufacturer ID: 1
             Product ID: 100
                   Type: WDM
            Driver Name: RtkHDAud.sys
         Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5591 (English)
          Date and Size: 4/7/2008 16:06:52, 4713472 bytes
            Other Files:
        Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
         HW Accel Level: Full
              Cap Flags: 0x0
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
 Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
              HW Memory: 0
       Voice Management: No
 EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
   I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
      Sound Test Result: Not run

Description: Creative SB Live! Series
 Default Sound Playback: No
 Default Voice Playback: No
            Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0006&SUBSYS_10031102&REV_00
        Manufacturer ID: 1
             Product ID: 100
                   Type: WDM
            Driver Name: P16X.sys
         Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0203 (English)
          Date and Size: 9/22/2003 12:43:06, 1330048 bytes
            Other Files:
        Driver Provider: Creative Technology Ltd.
         HW Accel Level: Standard
              Cap Flags: 0x0
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
 Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
              HW Memory: 0
       Voice Management: No
 EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
   I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
      Sound Test Result: Not run

Offline Fumanchu

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 09:42:49 am »
There was another typo in line 148, section 3 :P. My SB card seems to be performing without any hitches (XP pro).

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2008, 04:43:35 pm »
This is a great idea. I wish I had known about this before. I had some no legs creatures that went weird until i moved the parts to better locations.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2008, 04:46:53 pm »
This is a great idea. I wish I had known about this before. I had some no legs creatures that went weird until i moved the parts to better locations.

Most No-Leg creatures look ugly when in motion. I should do this but don't know what has and hasn't been reported and I don't want to double report something that's the same.

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2008, 06:45:48 pm »
When I search for breakprocanim nothing shows up in the sporedia for me.  It says nothing exists with that tag.
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline Liquos

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2008, 10:04:50 pm »
I've got a pretty funny problem right here, actually.

Try making him turn, and look at his head.
I'd upload a Youtube vid, but my game is horribly broken and nothing can fix it, apparently.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2008, 02:52:53 am »
Tripods don't move very nice at all, actually. Instead of making use of the fact there are three legs the front leg just hops really fast.  :(

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2008, 05:39:17 am »
Tripods don't move very nice at all, actually. Instead of making use of the fact there are three legs the front leg just hops really fast.  :(

Not when the joints are moved right. At least, not in some of my creatures. It does happen more often than not though, but that's because the joints need to be moved around. If you think the gait is a problem, you could report it, however it's not really an issue perse. *shrugs* Tripods usually turn out fine when I make them, so I don't see that as a problem. It just takes tweaking.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2008, 05:59:37 am »
Yeah, i too saw the tripods and i am dissapointed. I wanted them to walk more like this:
<a href="http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=t9_5KViwonw" target="_blank">http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=t9_5KViwonw</a>
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2008, 07:40:37 am »
Just incase the programmers are watching.

I figured out it was a problem with the wings.  I took some pictures of the version that gave the error and then pulled off the upper wing and made a new one which saved no problem.

Here's a link with working and non working photos of the "two faced cockatoo" as well as the spore card of a savable version.

http://flickr.com/photos/graniterock/sets/72157605705309484/detail/

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2008, 08:14:29 am »
Yeah I've noticed that, I keep getting doubled heads in the same place and I can see the texture "Z fighting". And when I make single eyes too (cyclops).

Offline 0d1n3oo3Broad

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • SPORE ON! Walium go!
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube-Channel
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2008, 08:26:50 am »
I got a broken animation with my "Rotstelzer" creature when i hit the "frightening"-button.
Video is on its way.

/€dit: Here's the video: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=C0cawOJKPb4

/€dit 2: As i'm watching the video: does anyone also get this annoying sound? I have it also on the original ones, but just very quiet...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 08:58:46 am by 0d1n3oo3Broad »
~~#SPORE#~~ :D ~~#SPORE#~~ :D
~~#SPORE is ON#~~ :D :D
~~#EXCELENT#~~ :D
Visit my Profile: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mechanikus

Offline Lew

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2008, 11:02:32 am »
Good post,

I have this tall 4-legged critter that has a, um floppy butt.  It looks like the last spine segment or two is, well, flopping around like it isn't attached to the rest of the body.  The creature is very "normal" looking with no weird stuff (think a big, fat, tall hippo).  Has anyone else ever seen that?  I also have an egg-like creature that slices in half when he moves.

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2008, 11:09:18 am »
My sky worm

clips through its legs when it moves its head side to side. I'm sure the odd spiral spine has somthing to do with it.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Petreak

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Petreak's Graphics and Stuff!
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2008, 11:45:34 am »
I got a broken animation with my "Rotstelzer" creature when i hit the "frightening"-button.
Video is on its way.

/€dit: Here's the video: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=C0cawOJKPb4

/€dit 2: As i'm watching the video: does anyone also get this annoying sound? I have it also on the original ones, but just very quiet...

That's the same buzzing sound I get. If you switch to a different background other than the default, it stops. Also if you go to the Audio settings and turn the FX slider all the way down it goes away. That buzzing is why most of my YouTube creature videos are on a different background.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2008, 01:09:12 pm »
Actually, some of the fins animate pretty badly, like half of what is supposed to stick to the creature comes out of it.

Yeh that annoys me. It doesn't attach to the back as a whole but the individual vertebrae.

And also there is a lot of putting the head through the floor.
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2008, 01:33:39 pm »
Any creature with a spine that arches up behind the head will have the head clip through it backwards on at least one animation, with a lot of fiddleing I've gotten them to stop doing it on all but one of the dances... not sure if this counts.  Database is down so I can't see whats been added, I fixed another animation oddity that I might be able to reproduce too.

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2008, 06:48:24 pm »
hmmm, I noticed in the demo CC (haven't tried it with the full cc), if you make a creature without legs, if it slithers, it does not look right sometimes, it has a chunk of tail that disappears.  Especially, if you make an L form, were instead of legs it rides a tail.

It seems to be more glitchy on extremes, such as making a snake-like creature - its' tail will crumple up. Also, making a fat 2 backboned will cause the animation to keep splitting the creature in half.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2008, 07:09:50 pm »
Any creature with a spine that arches up behind the head will have the head clip through it backwards on at least one animation, with a lot of fiddleing I've gotten them to stop doing it on all but one of the dances... not sure if this counts.  Database is down so I can't see whats been added, I fixed another animation oddity that I might be able to reproduce too.
See hecker's post. I think he mentioned that clipping stuff doesn't count.

Offline jydnys

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2008, 07:47:44 pm »
I've noticed that most creatures that lay close to the ground with short legs animate poorly.  The leg turn cycle is much too quick

They really should have a threshold to enable hopping or skipping as the standard gait on creatures that have extremely fast leg turn cycles

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2008, 08:16:37 pm »
Also, making a fat 2 backboned will cause the animation to keep splitting the creature in half.

That's not always true, both versions of my "Mouthy" are fat two-spine piece creatures and I've never once seen the animation have them split in half.
Virus Buster.

Offline Orly

• Mystery House Madman
  • Read This Post, its probably annoying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2008, 08:45:33 pm »
i've submitted 5 broken creatures so far! how many have you made?

Offline skewedjester

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • The Book of Jester holds the truth...usually.
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2008, 06:07:11 am »
i've submitted 5 broken creatures so far! how many have you made?

I've sent in two, though one wasn't TERRIBLY broken. It just had a weird things with its abdomen and a part attached to it.

The other one was a result of me just playing around with the little ball of clay, and it's just a ball with an arm coming out from between its eyes, which makes the eyes pop out or disappear.

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2008, 10:20:24 am »
I got one last night and I resisted fixing it with tweaks.  It has two problems, both in the nuzzle young animation.  The first is that it sucks it's eyes into it's head, you can just see them in the corners of the open mouth.  The second is that the body clips it'self causing a tiny sphere inside of a broken half sphere.  This part happens in a few other animations, but not as badly.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACWfFM4zFzs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACWfFM4zFzs</a>

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ast-500002668520%3Asast-500002668520sporepedia location
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 10:41:34 am by Darcie »

Offline Ultimatum

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2008, 10:39:34 am »
Your vids not there.

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2008, 10:41:54 am »
Your vids not there.

I know, it's proccessing.

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2008, 12:13:06 pm »
hm.. Noticed that the Shark fin acts really ugly when you move with a creature that has one. It looks like it's about to fall off.

Here's an example:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7S9jc3OHjs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7S9jc3OHjs</a>
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 12:38:32 pm by Pixxel »
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2008, 12:27:46 pm »
I've noticed that most creatures that lay close to the ground with short legs animate poorly.  The leg turn cycle is much too quick

They really should have a threshold to enable hopping or skipping as the standard gait on creatures that have extremely fast leg turn cycles

Yeah. Sometimes even normal-sized creatures do that. You have to kinda move the knee a bit to fix it. But yeah, hopping/skipping would be useful instead of the super-fast leg thing.

I'll start uploading a few of my creatures that do that once I get back from vacation.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2008, 01:50:43 pm »
I really should do this because the gait on some creatures gets really annoying. Perhaps I'll annotate some YouTube Videos of broken creatures. Maybe I'll make one Uber broken creature.

Offline Noflunk

• Mystery House Madman
  • Why is his head soooo big?
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2008, 02:25:33 pm »
The eyes keep going through the mouth when it roars, guess that counts as something broken

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dyMdTfLC1E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dyMdTfLC1E</a>

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2008, 02:27:31 pm »
Hmmmmmmm, yeah i have seen that in lots of the roaring parts in some of the early spore vids.

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2008, 03:49:50 pm »
hm.. Noticed that the Shark fin acts really ugly when you move with a creature that has one. It looks like it's about to fall off.

I've noticed that about a lot of different parts on, on certain parts of the body, they just plain don't stick.
It's almost as if they didn't debug those parts at all....

I still think that we're beta testers and they just aren't telling us....
What's better, for them, than getting free beta testers? Getting people to pay to beta test....

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2008, 03:56:45 pm »
I still think that we're beta testers and they just aren't telling us....
What's better, for them, than getting free beta testers? Getting people to pay to beta test....

I smell an EA scam.
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2008, 12:05:15 am »
I just made a Cheetah that animates pretty well except for when it turns. I'm uploading the YouTube video now and will post it here when it's done (also I'm uploading the creature to the Pedia when the vid finishes).

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2008, 12:11:08 am »
Yeah, there are lots of parts that don't seem to attach to the body correct and dangle off in animation.  Let's help the debuggers out and give them everything they need.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2008, 12:15:35 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iDyVR-_BUI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iDyVR-_BUI</a>
- Video of the Cheetah

Here's the creature file for those who want to test and tweak it:

Offline leanbarton

• Mystery House Madman
  • CrushYoMind in Sporepedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2008, 11:27:11 am »

Here's an example:

Yea what's up with that. It looks awful.

Offline jydnys

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2008, 08:26:15 pm »

Yeah. Sometimes even normal-sized creatures do that. You have to kinda move the knee a bit to fix it. But yeah, hopping/skipping would be useful instead of the super-fast leg thing.

I'll start uploading a few of my creatures that do that once I get back from vacation.

I noticed on my longer legged creatures on I could adjust the knee a little bit to get things semi smoothly, just as you had said.  However on short legged creatures, there is not alot of room to move the knee!

Offline BBsman5

• Dragster Diehard
  • Go Spore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2008, 10:42:30 pm »

lolwut

Offline MageLite

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2008, 05:14:16 am »

Here's an example:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7S9jc3OHjs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7S9jc3OHjs</a>
That's a problem with some of the bone and shell parts too.

Offline Balorn

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2008, 05:09:10 am »
This guy:

The shoulders and head jerk around pretty badly while walking, looking around, etc.

HOWEVER!  If the mouth is moved up to shoulder-height instead of being on the gut, it animates fine.

Offline Loerelau

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2008, 05:22:31 am »
My frog has some bad animation... I'm at work, so I can't make a video right now.

http://eu.spore.com/myspore/asset_edit.cfm?id=500003601142

The mouth is attached to the rest of the body in a strange way if it's walking....

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2008, 07:43:35 am »
Both my Corvalas have got some weird animation glitches when they use the Charge attack in the creature editor (the whole body jumps/shakes about), but I can't get a video of that...
What should I do?

Offline MageLite

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2008, 08:20:10 am »
Both my Corvalas have got some weird animation glitches when they use the Charge attack in the creature editor (the whole body jumps/shakes about), but I can't get a video of that...
What should I do?
I've got the same problem with a few of my creatures, and sometimes with a few when I try their glide animation.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2008, 11:16:52 am »
What should I do?

Fraps, GameCam, or take a screenshot (Print Scr key and then pasting that image into a paint program) when it messes up.

GameCam is a bit wonky and tends to lag up on quick motions, and YouTube seems to distort (rather badly) videos uploaded when using GC. I've not work with Fraps that much yet. I don't even know if it supports the CC.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2008, 01:35:16 pm »
We don't need clipping. Just broken animations. If the only glitch is clipping, it's not worth tagging. If the animation breaks and causes limbs and/or the body to go flying all over the place, than that is broken and worth tagging.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2008, 03:08:49 pm »
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-PlankofWood%3Asast-500004462423

This one moves extremely badly and the arm doesn't move at all.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2008, 03:11:54 pm »

Then you need to tag it with "breakprocanim".  They don't come here to check for broken animation examples, they search the database for the tag. 

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2008, 03:13:38 pm »

Then you need to tag it with "breakprocanim".  They don't come here to check for broken animation examples, they search the database for the tag. 

Thanks
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Anisi

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2008, 04:56:56 am »
The fin glitch annoys me to no end.
I just wish parts stick properly. Did the designers think we wouldn't notice some of the parts half hanging off the creature's body every time it moves?

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2008, 10:27:02 am »
I think the fin thing is just a misscalculation of the needed wiggle room to make them flow correctly with the body.  I am wondering if I should post the leg forms that are modled on real animals but fail to animate correctly or not.  I have several, (cats horses and avian) that go nuts.  It took me hours to fiddle with them and even though I now know exactly why and where the procedural code is getting confused I still have to fix it every time I use those styles of leg configurations.  Really anoying.

...and the stuff attached to lower jaws not moveing with the jaw and just hanging in space is kind of anoying too.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2008, 02:22:47 pm »
I don't know if this counts, but the animation for the level 5 singing is kind of jerky, like the legs weren't made to swing that far out or that quickly.

I agree on the lower jaw stuff, it's annoying when you want to put a decoration or when you try to put tusks on the lower jaw, it doesn't stick. It's even worse for the dietrap type mouth sometimes.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2008, 06:28:01 pm »
That also happens when you attach mouths to limbs. (Make the mouth as small as you can and you'll see what I mean)