Author Topic: Sporepedia hits: 3,000,000 Creatures  (Read 25559 times)

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy moly, over 250000 creatures already on Sporepedia.
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 06:11:29 pm »
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but this isn't that many. 

We know. However the amount of time it took to reach that number (even considering the early leak), is amazing. It happened so quickly. We'll break 300k by the end of the night.

Edit:

287355 Creatures / 196890 Users= ~1.45947 Creatures per User

The average is 1 creature per user so far. Not to encouraging yet.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:19:07 pm by OpDDay2001 »
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline MTCason

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 06:42:42 pm »
Not that many?  In 24 hours, Spore has eclipsed the amount of user-created content than most games, even most Maxis games, ever see in their artificial 'lives'.  It's a heck of a nice start for Spore.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 06:46:24 pm »
the amount of time it took to reach that number (even considering the early leak), is amazing. It happened so quickly.

No.

Not that many?  In 24 hours, Spore has eclipsed the amount of user-created content than most games, even most Maxis games, ever see in their artificial 'lives'.  It's a heck of a nice start for Spore.

And no.

You can download the trial for free.  Only 200,000 people opted to do so, meaning that so far, only 200,000 people have showed interest in Spore.  In the Nasa video, Wright stated the game cost like what, 40 million dollars to make?  If 200,000 people bought Spore (and lets keep in mind that we're at 200,000 people giving the trial away for free) for 50 dollars, that's 10 million dollars. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Spore will sell and do fine, but please, let's not go celebrating prematurely. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:53:21 pm by Sub »

Offline Pat_Taxi

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 07:55:05 pm »

You can download the trial for free.  Only 200,000 people opted to do so, meaning that so far, only 200,000 people have showed interest in Spore.  In the Nasa video, Wright stated the game cost like what, 40 million dollars to make?  If 200,000 people bought Spore (and lets keep in mind that we're at 200,000 people giving the trial away for free) for 50 dollars, that's 10 million dollars. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Spore will sell and do fine, but please, let's not go celebrating prematurely. 

Of course Spore is going to sell fine and 200,000+ is a number to celebrate.
The game has been out for a single day to most of the population and it has reached
so many computers already.

What we should be doing is taking bets on if the game will outsell GTA IV and if it does,
by how much?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:25:50 pm by Pat_Taxi »

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 08:10:32 pm »
Ok, so 200,000 people downloaded Spore on day one [and it's not 200,000+, 200,000 is what we get when we round up], and it was free.

Grand Theft Auto sold 609,000 units in the UK alone on day one.  It sold 2,500,000 units in America on day one.  For Europe and America combined, day one sales totaled 4.2 million units sold.  And this was at 60 dollars a pop, not for free.

Get realistic.  All that I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't be celebrating just yet, 200,000 isn't good.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 08:14:45 pm by Sub »

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 08:14:51 pm »
GTA also already had a fan base and prequels to it.

Beside, alot of people have their accounts messed up and problems every which way with saving and sharing. I have made 30 creatures and successfully 12 are saved and 1 has been able to be uploaded to the Sporepedia.
I Want Patience, and I Want It NOW!

Peskitoriantais - http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5046.0
Violandro - http://violandro.myminicity.com/

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • the tiniest evil thing known to man and willosaurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 08:16:54 pm »
you know, spore could end up being a game with good legs

"good legs" means the title might not sell really well the first week, but it keeps selling consistently. if the title sells 50,000 copies a week for a year, it'll end up with close to 3 million sells. games like gta will usually have monster sell the first week, but then their sells will plummet. this is because most people who would want it probably already know about and are already hyped for it, and everybody who wanted it would probably have bought it day one.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 08:19:40 pm by vonboy »
Quote from: ilikedirt
your spores are wack

Fatal Error: You're creature is crap. You're computer will now explode.

check out my sporepedia page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/vonboy

Offline Allch Chcar

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • City of Refuge
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 11:48:20 pm »
Users are just over 200k now. That's something but not overly significant. Unless you believe the one person called and like it so 1 billion people will actually like it theory.

Not everyone with an account will share a creature.
No Ph34r.
~ |CoR| Sgt-Allch Chcar*XP*

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 12:01:26 am »
First of all, I think one of the reasons we're seeing so relatively "few" creatures is because of the bug (feature, to save their servers perhaps?) that many or all people can only upload one creature per game launch.
Second of all you can't base how many has downloaded it on how much content is uploaded. Many will play with it but not figure out you can share it, and some will choose not to share it on purpose. I don't believe it has been downloaded only 200k times.

Finally you can't compare the success of a demo of a TOOL within a game with a games launch figures. For now it's little more than a publicity stunt, and it has a good 80ish days to go on that front.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 12:11:49 am »
And this was at 60 dollars a pop, not for free.

Actually, full games are more popular than demos.
Who downloads demos? Especially at day 1? The fans. Or at least a hardcore of those who already heared about it, and really curious about it.

A 200.000 starting base for such a game is very good, because it is not a sequel, and not even fitting into a genre: Those who only read a single article or watched a video, they still don't have an idea what is Spore about, is it an MMO or not, is it an RTS or not, etc.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 12:16:15 am »
I approve of Petike ^

I don't know what the numbers are, but I know for a fact that I personally (and every gamer I know) only download demo's for games we're sick to death of waiting for. Very rarely for games we don't know much about - we're more likely to buy them on launch. I buy loads of games I haven't seen a demo for, but I rarely download a demo I don't end up buying the game for. So based on myself and my friends I would hazard a guess that demo downloads are lower than sales.

Offline BigBadWolf

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2008, 12:24:14 am »
You're forgetting that not everyone's life revolves around spore. Most people don't even know that the editor is out (even the newsletter only came today and not everyone's signed up for it ether). It's been only 2 days since launch, some people didn't have time to check it out yet, others don't even want to play the demo (it's only a very limited demo, why should they play a demo of a game they know they will buy?) Some people don't even know that spore exists yet...
These numbers don't represent the number of people who will buy spore. The number of creatures created is remarkable, it has been only 2 days and already 343,593 creatures! You will never even see all of them!

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
350 000 Creatures
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 02:42:45 am »
People seems to be spawning abominations like they are going to die in a few days and kotaku says the number is going to increase alot and i dont mean to argue with them.

http://kotaku.com/5017821/sporepedia-350000-and-counting

well done everyone, hope you're proud of yourselves. you'll most likely make the sporepedia explode from all the penis creatures and all that.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: 350 000 Creatures
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 02:55:58 am »
The sad part is a lot of people have uploaded double, triples or even x8 of the same creature. :( Its probably much less in reality.

Offline Flak

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • The Spore Zoo and Creature Cave
Re: 350 000 Creatures
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 03:02:21 am »
It's a new toy. People will get bored in about a month. Us diehards who have been waiting (4?) years to play with it will have it all to ourselves. ;)