Author Topic: Sporepedia hits: 3,000,000 Creatures  (Read 25628 times)

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
Re: 350 000 Creatures
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 03:13:28 am »
I'm sure once the actual game comes out people will be playing the game instead of spending as much time with the CC.

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 03:48:25 am »
I also assume that there will be a lot of people that only create one or 2 creatures, untill they get their creature perfectly, or find one  they really get atachet to.

I notice that , alot of people who come from this forum and use the cc are using this in an artistic way to make many creatures, to expose creativity. It's more about an art form, while for other people it will be more about creating a pet.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 04:01:54 am »
For me it's 50/50... though I'm loath to call myself an "artiste". I guess it would be more correct to say that I do it for good old plain fun? ;) It's like having Maya or 3DS/MAX only without the hassle :P Those were great when I was a kid/young, but I just don't have the time anymore.
This is like instant 3D fun ^^

Offline Captain Indigo

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2008, 06:57:56 am »
A lot of ****'s been uploaded, but as time goes on, the people just messing around will get bored, and there will be more and more creatures that have had a lot of time put into them. However the best ones will emerge once the game is actually released, as there'll be other people's actual creatures they're playing with, that they'll have put maybe hundreds of hours into.

^^Click^^

Offline Ciddler

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
    • View Profile
    • My Spore!
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2008, 07:02:53 am »
370k as of now. This is crazy :D

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2008, 07:04:20 am »
The sad part is a lot of people have uploaded double, triples or even x8 of the same creature. :( Its probably much less in reality.

Don't even remind me of that, the trial CC used to upload like 5 copies of the creature and then I had to go delete them :|

The full one is fine though.

And now that EA bans people for obscene content we will get less crap.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Captain Indigo

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2008, 07:05:04 am »
F*ck, this really is rocketing up. My initial prediction of 1 million creatures by the time Spore is released is going to be woefully inadequate.

^^Click^^

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2008, 08:23:21 am »
Hehheh, who can blame everyone, though? I'm sure it'l be cleared out a bit by the time we get Spore itself...

Also, this is why I hate school; Been keeping myself off the net for a week so I can focus on exams, and missed all this!
Now I have to catch up >.<

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2008, 08:40:38 am »
Same here... :(

I really hope they delete the x8 creatures I've been seeing lately.

Offline CustodianV131

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2008, 09:32:52 am »
Actually its not that many if you think about it.

Even if you go for say two creatures per person (Which is I think on the low side) its "only" 200000 (around 400000 creatures atm) people.

That's nothing if you look at how big the Simcrowd is and how much buzz this game gets. We'll hit many millions soon!
Do drop by on my Spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/CustodianV131
Comments verrrry welcome! Rating my creatures is much appreciated, but be honest please!

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2008, 09:39:24 am »
The multiple creature uploads are mostly due to the sharing bugs (or just the delay between pressing 'share' and it being uploaded). Im sure that they'll patch this so that multiple attempts to upload will be halted, and just the original will wait to be sent through. That way we can hammer at the 'share' button in frustration, safe in the knowledge only one copy will be uploaded.

Then there are the people who upload every time they make a slight alteration to their creature, without bothering to delete the previous versions. Its a shame you cant overwrite your old creature in the HTML sporepedia, as opposed to always uploading different copies.

A lot of the swelling number problem could be avoided with a little patching, and perhaps if everyone didnt upload every single creature they made. Even at 25kb a creature, the storage needs are going to keep creeping upwards. It would be nice if there was a button to "mark as duplicate", so that sporepedia maintainers could look in on the marked creatures, and remove duplicates to help keep the numbers down. Until the game is released, there will be a steady stream of creatures, so it will be a nightmare to moderate until then. Hopefully the rate will slow down after another week or two.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy moly, over 250000 creatures already on Sporepedia.
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2008, 10:34:10 am »
You're forgetting that not everyone's life revolves around spore. Most people don't even know that the editor is out (even the newsletter only came today and not everyone's signed up for it ether). It's been only 2 days since launch, some people didn't have time to check it out yet, others don't even want to play the demo (it's only a very limited demo, why should they play a demo of a game they know they will buy?) Some people don't even know that spore exists yet...
These numbers don't represent the number of people who will buy spore. The number of creatures created is remarkable, it has been only 2 days and already 343,593 creatures! You will never even see all of them!

By that same token, not everyones life revolved around Grand Theft Auto, yet it still managed to pull in 4.2 million sales in a day. 

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2008, 10:42:45 am »
You're forgetting that not everyone's life revolves around spore. Most people don't even know that the editor is out (even the newsletter only came today and not everyone's signed up for it ether). It's been only 2 days since launch, some people didn't have time to check it out yet, others don't even want to play the demo (it's only a very limited demo, why should they play a demo of a game they know they will buy?) Some people don't even know that spore exists yet...
These numbers don't represent the number of people who will buy spore. The number of creatures created is remarkable, it has been only 2 days and already 343,593 creatures! You will never even see all of them!

By that same token, not everyones life revolved around Grand Theft Auto, yet it still managed to pull in 4.2 million sales in a day. 

The creature creator is not Spore. Not everyone (Well, most) who is going to buy Spore have the editor, secondly, I'm suspecting that not everyone who has the editor is uploading their creatures.

An

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline Ciddler

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
    • View Profile
    • My Spore!
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2008, 11:20:09 am »
The game itself isn't out yet and within the first days the creature creator has attracted already 200k users worldwide. That's pretty damn good if you ask me.

Offline Absinth

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Check out my creatures on the sporepedia
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2008, 11:21:31 am »

You forget a few things!
If I'm correct what just got released was named Grand Theft Auto IV, GTA 1 only sold 1.2 million overall!
Do you see anywhere a "IV" after the word Spore?
Besides this is only a demo and not even a demo of the game itself.
Also on this site alone there are several people who didn't download the creator to not spoil the game when it comes out in September, i figure worldwide that would be a lot more.
There will be RTS players that will pick up the game that aren't even interested in the creators.
The advertising is not worldwide on television like GTA 4 was, but I'm 200% sure it will be on the release of Spore in September.
Hell for weeks i didn't see anything else than GTA 4 on TV.
I do admit GTA was groundbreaking in the past and even GTA 4 has a few good new options but this game isn't anymore a real GTA game.
I used to love playing outside the main story, especially in Vice city and San Andreas, this one isn't as much fun as those 2 where imo.
No matter how bad you think about Spore it still is a game like nobody ever had done before, with other words Groundbreaking in every facet.
And the last point is there are now almost 420000 creatures uploaded in the meantime and almost 250000 members, not bad for 2 days i would say.
Spore has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men.

My sporepedia page
My gamingsteve creature page