Author Topic: Musing on creature file size....  (Read 1926 times)

Offline kandalf

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Musing on creature file size....
« on: June 18, 2008, 10:10:17 am »
So, I was thinking, assuming that the actual picture in the png is irrelevant to the game data needed by the game to read the creature, than why not have an option in-game, to "compress" all the creature files. This option would turn each png into some sort of .creature file or whatever, with no pic and simply the code for the creature. I would think that since everything is done procedurally, then actual creature data could take up no more than a couple kb. This would vastly therefore vastly reduce the size. It would also be easy to have a "uncompress" button, to regenerate the png based on each creature file, and delete the creature files. Although I don't forsee space being an issue with me, it could be with some. Also, another way to implement this would be to simply have the compressed versions being downloaded from the server (for when the game automatically downloads creatures), and turned back into png's client-side. I imagine this would save a lot of bandwith....

Thoughts?

Maybe the picture /is/ needed to recreate the creature in-game?

Offline Woulfe

• Wizardry Whiz
  • 40 Years Of Pop-culture
    • View Profile
    • Spore Sillyness Site
Re: Musing on creature file size....
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 10:17:33 am »
If we knew how it worked....

Where would the mystery be if we knew this info ?

- W -
* Just thinking out loud *

Offline plastik

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 10:22:55 am »
If you have a PC capable of running Spore, then you aren't likely to have storage issues at all, but you could resort to putting creatures onto memory sticks if you really can't find 30kb free somewhere, or even more primitively, on floppy disks, where you'll fit 48 creatures at most. I think the current format is all we really need to be honest. And I don't think the image itself is entirely necessary for the concept to work, but removing it will probably have little effect on the size anyway.

Offline Bios Revision

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 10:24:17 am »
People from somethingawful.com found that the creature data is actually encoded into the pixels of the png file.

Offline kandalf

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 10:25:45 am »
I sort of realized the original intent of the idea wasn't really needed, but using it for when the game downloads content for your game and then converting it back to png's client-side really couldn't hurt, in my opinion.

Edit:
So, I guess the image is needed.... :/

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 10:33:26 am »
You can't change something on the files! They were created with magic and magic is needed to read them!
BLASPHEMY!!

The almighty super-sorcerer Will won't be too happy about your dangerous thinking!
Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 10:36:04 am »
The Maxis team already said how they encode files, first the image data then the invisible metadata. If you edit the file with a text editor you can even see where the metadata starts and ends. if you figure out where the actual image starts and ends and leave it blank... profit?
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Woulfe

• Wizardry Whiz
  • 40 Years Of Pop-culture
    • View Profile
    • Spore Sillyness Site
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 10:55:15 am »
Experiment on a junk creature from the 'pedia if you want, I won't touch these files for fear of screwing something up in them.

- W -
* I like them just the way they are *

Offline plastik

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 11:34:09 am »
I've managed to get a creature down to 0.8KB, still working correctly.. I'll try and post it

Here it is, down to 500 bytes, or 0.5KB
http://www.filefactory.com/file/454f31
Someone should test it, in case its just me  ;)

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be working for me now; maybe it cached it or something, and simply recognised the filename
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:45:10 am by plastik »

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 11:43:42 am »
People from somethingawful.com found that the creature data is actually encoded into the pixels of the png file.

1. I couldn't find anything about Spore on their site.
2. I'm pretty sure other people figured it out before they did, even if they do have an article or something on their site.

And for the TC... I'm pretty sure no one will have problems with the size of the creatures... they are very small and the average hard drive these days is pretty big....

I've managed to get a creature down to 0.8KB, still working correctly.. I'll try and post it

Here it is, down to 500 bytes, or 0.5KB
http://www.filefactory.com/file/454f31
Someone should test it, in case its just me  ;)

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be working for me now; maybe it cached it or something, and simply recognised the filename

Can you explain to me HOW you got the creature's size so low? Did you just create a creature with a small file size, or did you do something to it?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:47:45 am by Blulightning »

Offline kandalf

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 03:04:28 pm »
I assume he figured out where the metadata was in the file, and started deleting everything that wasn't the metadata >.>