Author Topic: Akago's Not-Quite-Amazing-But-Still-Noteworthy Critters  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Amayirot Akago

• Phoenix Fighter
  • RAARGH!! Gorulk SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Akago's Not-Quite-Amazing-But-Still-Noteworthy Critters
« on: June 17, 2008, 02:45:52 pm »
Hey guys, about time I made a thread of my own in here. I got the demo version of the CC recently and been having a ball with it, so I'd like to share my creations so far.

Yorp

Indigenous to the red planet, Mars, the Yorp is a harmless, mischievous and curious creature of low intelligence that will approach any irregularity around it despite any obvious danger.

My very first creature, based upon the familliar green guys from the first Commander Keen game.

Garg

The Yorp's big brother; the Garg is larger, faster, and deadlier. Its two eyes are constantly on the lookout for prey which it will dash towards at the tiniest hint of provocation to satisfy its limitless appetite. To its Yorp brethern it remains docile.

When one makes a Yorp, the obvious next step is to make a Garg as well. Not very accurate (due to the limitations of the demo), but still a nice critter.

Dragomoss

Built for combat, the tall Dragomoss towers over smaller foes and consumes them with ease, while having ample defense for creatures of its own size. The pod on its nose can launch corrosive fluids.

A bit of an experiment on making a large creature.

Dicogis

Consisting of two halves each with a seperate personality, the Dicogis is a paradoxical creature in that both sides are rarely aware of the other's existence, yet depend on each other for survival.

One of my favorites. The cool thing is, when looking around, both halves look in opposite directions, which ties in with my description for them.

Twaice

Similar to the Dicogis, the Twaice consists of two halves each with its own personality, yet contrary to its distant relative both halves are very much aware of each other. The lower half is aggressive while the top half is contemplative.

Another experiment in two-faced creatures. Not much else to say.

Siarkon

A bizarre creature that is believed to be an evolutionary link between a past and future creature. The two halves share a single consciousness, yet it is believed both halves will eventually evolve into seperate beings.

Another favorite of mine. The animations on the lower half are especially hilarious, and having the two mouths gives it a cool double voice.

Spenaxe

This eight-legged carnivorous predator is fast, aggressive and very dangerous. When it hunts it relies on its quick feet and brute strength to catch whatever it spots with any of its 9 eyes.

Based loosely on the Racnoss from Doctor Who. I'd been wanting to make a spider-legged creature from day one, so this was one of my first attempts.

Willosaur

A very common and unspectacular creature, yet what makes it fascinating is the mystery surrounding its origins. Some believe the Willosaur race is as old as the universe itself.

Everyone's made one of these, so I might as well join in. Not the most accurate rendition but it gets the job done. The description is an in-joke on the fact that (probably) everyone has made one, and that it was introduced shortly after Spore's announcement.

Tabeyoth

A sphere-shaped predator that uses its plant-like appearance to camouflage itself when it hunts. It is highly adept at sneaking about undetected. Its many eyes and six legs serve to detect hostile creatures and keep itself at a safe distance from them.

Not much to say about this one. Wanted to try my hand on a plant-like critter, and this is the result.

Baike

A half-reptillian, half-insectoid creature, the Baike apparently evolved from a species of housefly into the scavenger it is today. It has ample defense and offense, and its wings allow for quick getaways.

Just a random critter I threw together. The wings were a last-minute addition when I was writing the description.

Gorulk

A bulky creature that is very quick to anger, the Gorulk will use its massive strength to smash anything that gets in its way and/or enrages it (which is pretty much everything other than itself).

An attempt at recreating The Incredible Hulk in Spore, which ended up looking more like a green gorilla, hence the name (portmanteau of gorilla and Hulk). Despite the description, it's fairly weak :P

Higupera

This sinister looking creature has been nicknamed "the Reaper" for its Grim Reaper-like appearance. It skulks about in the dark, appearing harmless, until it reveals the ferocious double mouth on its back and strikes. Few have seen it and lived.

I felt like making a frightening creature for once, and I have to say this one came out pretty well.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 02:53:26 pm by Amayirot Akago »

Anime lover, gamer, and dreamer

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
Re: Akago's Not-Quite-Amazing-But-Still-Noteworthy Critters
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 03:01:38 pm »
The Spenaxe and the Siarkon looks pretty cool. I especialy like the top head of the Siarkon. You should try putting that head on a diffrent creation :P

And Nice Willosaur recreation attempt. One of my top favorites so far ^^
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Amayirot Akago

• Phoenix Fighter
  • RAARGH!! Gorulk SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Re: Akago's Not-Quite-Amazing-But-Still-Noteworthy Critters
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 02:16:59 am »
My first few creatures made with the full version.

Grue

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGlfRm3o4GI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGlfRm3o4GI</a>
Lurking in the dark places of the earth, the Grue's favorite diet is adventurers. Its insatiable appetite is tempered only by its fear of light. No Grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.

The good ol' Grue from the Zork series. Although I've never actually played the games, I stumbled upon an article on Wikipedia describing it once, and thought it would be neat to try and make one based on what it said there. The description is taken directly from the first game (as quoted on the Wikipedia page), albeit edited slightly for length.

Hafipod

An omnivorous creature that can handle itself quite well in battle. Many people have noted its shape bears an uncanny resemblance to a human hand.

What can I say? I thought I'd make a creature shaped like a hand, and this is the end result.

Spricleye

A well-armored and well-armed amphibian predator that is as fast as it is vicious. Few can escape it once it trails after them.

Not much to say, just your average attempt at making a vicious beastie.

Sotco

This octopid scavenger stuffs whatever it can find into the gaping mouth on top of it, be it plants or other creatures, using the suckers on its forearms. The Sotco's grip is nigh unbreakable, meaning escape is impossible for anything that is caught.

An attempt at making a squid-like critter that came out fairly well. I purposely left out the eyes to make it look more threatening.

Finally, last but not least, my Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-AmayirotAkago

Anime lover, gamer, and dreamer