Author Topic: Friendly relations with other species  (Read 13776 times)

Offline Amberfox

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
Friendly relations with other species
« on: September 28, 2005, 01:21:54 pm »
imagine you've reached the point where you just discovered another species on a newly found planet. What things would you like to be able to do to establish a good relationship with them?  :)
What about:

- forming alliances
- trading (of course): resources, technologies
- cultural exchange programs: wouldn't it be cool to see some individuals of the other species walk around with cameras in your city, taking photos admiring your culture?  :D what about allowing them to build a holiday camp on your planet?

post your ideas  :)

Offline Noflunk

• Mystery House Madman
  • Why is his head soooo big?
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly relations with other species
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 01:33:07 pm »
Well Will did say he was basing the advanced eras off of star trek so maybe when and if you form a federation you can have a center on your planet where all those in your federation come.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 02:19:49 pm »
maybe a cool sort of bonus in the diplomacy screen (if there is one) where you can see your 'federation council' all sitting round a table- a representative from every species thats in your alliance doing some procedural arguing (no sound maybe-just animation)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Amberfox

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 02:50:36 pm »
maybe a cool sort of bonus in the diplomacy screen (if there is one) where you can see your 'federation council' all sitting round a table- a representative from every species thats in your alliance doing some procedural arguing (no sound maybe-just animation)

I think that's an awesome idea. Imagine a big hall with dozens of different species, all discussing something and the player is able to interact by clicking on them

Offline sgore

• Questron Serf
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 02:58:03 pm »
- cultural exchange programs: wouldn't it be cool to see some individuals of the other species walk around with cameras in your city, taking photos admiring your culture?  :D what about allowing them to build a holiday camp on your planet?

You mean intergalactic tourism? lol.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline dangerman

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 03:03:52 pm »
I wonder if the UFO is the only outer space vehicle you can have or if you'll be able to build like interstellar feight trains and interplanetary highways for tourism and trade.

the diplomacy thing would be an awesome feature too. The background would upgrade as the number of speices in the federation increased. At first it could be a table in an office-type room (thinking white house-ish) then it could move up to something like the senate floor and then all the way up to the UN, were you could have hundreds of different speices in one room and you'd be able to see them all at once.

Offline SimEarth Freak

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Trichordates are now sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 03:33:56 pm »
The diplomacy thing would be an awesome feature too. The background would upgrade as the number of speices in the federation increased. At first it could be a table in an office-type room (thinking white house-ish) then it could move up to something like the senate floor and then all the way up to the UN, were you could have hundreds of different speices in one room and you'd be able to see them all at once.

Or how about a Star Wars type Federation aka "Republic" where there is an absolutely massive room filled with literally thousands of pods where representatives from different races are seated.  Yep - that's what my federation will be like!  (After I've played the game for five years!!!)

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 10:09:38 pm »
Peaceful federation? Bah!

I am hoping to make my first species something akin (in behavior, not in appearence) to the Antarans from Master of Orion 3. If they find another civilization, they will beat it back to its homeworld and interdict it with orbital weapons platforms. I will knock them all the way to the invention of the brick and guide their cultural and genetic evolution carefully... sometimes with serious genetic engineering.

If they please me, I will help elevate them back into a spacefaring civilization again. As second class citizens doing various caste-like jobs.

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 05:38:49 pm »
Hmmm, this caught my eye...
- trading (of course): resources, technologies

Technology trading...
How will this game work out a tech tree?
And here's what my real question is.... procedural technology tree???
Think about that... if you could design you own technologies, trading with an alien race would be constantly new and exciting, as all the items would be made from another player!
I suppose you could work this out by giving items that are created stats. ie, Item 1, a large bowl, hold more resources but is hard to make, item 2, a smaller bowl, holds less resources but is easy for your creatures to make. Both items fall under the 'bowl' category of items, but each has a different stat to it.....
What do yall think?
Silver_Kiwi

Offline dangerman

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 05:44:00 pm »
sounds great, and it wouldn't be too hard to do, since the evolution game already has something like that. The bigger and heavier and more badass your carnivore is, the slower it becomes. Like if you make a procedural tank with 1000 barrels, it'll be way more expensive than the tank with 1.

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 06:03:17 pm »
Just as an added on idea to my above post...
The lower the item is on the tech tree, the less options it has.
So, bowls only have size as an option...
maybe some items that can be bought in the city stage have 3 or 4 different options.
Think of that... 3 or 4 different settings that affects the way your item works!
I think it would be cool...  ;D
Silver_Kiwi

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 01:56:26 am »
right, i'm thinking there could be a 'science' tree which is hard-coded, and a 'technology tree' which is procedural.  in any case: ideas

systems of government assigned on a point system.  higher-tech governments get more points.  points should act logarythmically, ie, Cs where C is a constant and s is the stat.  this way you could have the stat literally as high or low as you wanted.

different applications for pretty much anything.  ie, the wheel can be used to mill grain or to fit on chariots.  the laser can be used to make better rock concerts, etc.

I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 11:05:10 pm »
Required materials for manufacture could also be affected. Your culture can develop metal, stone, wood, glass/ceramic, etc bowls. Some types would be impossible or obscenely hard for one species to make for one reason or another. An undersea species would have trouble developing metal or glass bowls because they don't have fire... unless they can tap undersea vents or something.

A race of giants with brutish hands would have a penalty making small bowls or other fine objects. A race of small, delicate creatures would have a penalty with large bowels or other bulky objects. They could make and use them. It would just take them longer.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2005, 03:22:53 am »
I think you can just make something and itll work, you can explain away anything to yourself. There wont be a penalty but if you have a small dainty creature just make small items and buildings and tell yourself its because they cant make big ones.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Amberfox

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 03:35:11 am »
You mean intergalactic tourism? lol.

yeah, I once read a comic which involved something like this, that gave me the idea...  ;D