Author Topic: Problems I'm experiencing with the Creature Creator  (Read 23445 times)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Problems I'm experiencing with the Creature Creator
« on: June 14, 2008, 10:53:13 pm »
I think I'm going to write to the dev team about this ... but I've actually been having a surprising number of issues with the CC. Just off the top of my head I have experienced the following issues:

• The program crashes on me (it just completely quits) very often.
  • I have saved several creatures that are in my creatures folder, but aren't available for loading within the game. They just never appear. Even more perplexing is that is says in my personal Sporepedia I have more creatures available than it displays (i.e. I'll have 9 creatures in my folder, and it says I have 9 creatures, but it only allows me to select from 5 creatures).
  • Inside the game's Sporepedia I can only see my creations and 30 creations from Maxis, and that's it. Not sure if others can only see this limited number of creatures from within the game.
  • I have tried many times to download a creature from the web Sporedia and then load those into the CC, I have yet seen it work. Dragging the PNG file into the program itself does nothing and if I copy them to my creatures folder they never appear.
  • I changed my preferences to save all creature images as "large" but yet all my creatures are saved as the default size.
  • Lots of issues trying to upload to YouTube, often it just fails.

A little worrisome that I'm experiencing so many issues with this program. Perhaps in a few days when it's officially released these issues will "go away" but for now I would like to hear if others are experiencing these or other similar issues so that we can report them to the dev team.

Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Skraeling

• Akalabeth Addict
  • My what big teeth I have.
    • View Profile
Re: Problems I'm experiencing with the Creature Creator
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 10:54:46 pm »
I tend to think its more of a need for the actual release for some of the sporepedia issues.

No, really.  I am a card carrying scientist.

Offline Nazzul

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 10:57:49 pm »
Really? I am using a trial version of the CC and the only problem I have faced is the creatures not showing up after I exit, which can be fixed by just moving your creature file, open the CC then close the CC. Once thats done I just moved my guys back and the problem was fixed. As for the Youtube stuff So far it has been working fine for me.

I just reread your post and I see that your problem may be diffrent from what I was having. My game has not crashed at all though I have a different version. As for the spoepedia stuff I think they closed it down to just our trial versions I have no Idea about the full version yet.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 11:00:31 pm by Nazzul »

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 11:00:12 pm »
Works like a dream for me.

Only thing that happens is my creatures not appearing in the sporepedia and that seems to be a universal bug or something right now.

gec05

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 11:00:57 pm »
  • I have saved several creatures that are in my creatures folder, but aren't available for loading within the game. They just never appear. Even more perplexing is that is says in my personal Sporepedia I have more creatures available than it displays (i.e. I'll have 9 creatures in my folder, and it says I have 9 creatures, but it only allows me to select from 5 creatures).

I've ran into the same trouble and the only solution that seems to fix this is by uninstalling your game. Before you do, back up your My Spore folder in your documents. Then reinstall it and restore your My Spore folder to your documents. Play it as usual, just don't login and play offline. You should see them again.

Offline Petreak

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Petreak's Graphics and Stuff!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 11:03:26 pm »
I'm having similar problems with my Creature Creator not showing my creations when I go to the load screen. I can list Maxis Creations, but only one of my own appears and I should have 6.

Also, I am having sound problems. I get an annoying buzzing sound. I don't know what it is. I tried to update my sound drivers, but it still does it. I did notice when I am in the Test Drive area, the buzzing will stop if I switch to a different background than the default one with trees. IT also does it in the actual Creature Editor screen and sometimes in the Creature Load area.
My sound card is a Sound Blaster Live, if that helps.

If you can get these issues off to them Steve, maybe they can get us a patch out. Oh, and just in case, I am using the Full Creature Creator.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 11:07:00 pm »
I think I'm going to write to the dev team about this ... but I've actually been having a surprising number of issues with the CC. Just off the top of my head I have experienced the following issues:

• The program crashes on me (it just completely quits) very often.
  • Inside the game's Sporepedia I can only see my creations and 30 creations from Maxis, and that's it. Not sure if others can only see this limited number of creatures from within the game.
  • I have tried many times to download a creature from the web Sporedia and then load those into the CC, I have yet seen it work. Dragging the PNG file into the program itself does nothing and if I copy them to my creatures folder they never appear.
  • I changed my preferences to save all creature images as "large" but yet all my creatures are saved as the default size.
  • Lots of issues trying to upload to YouTube, often it just fails.

A little worrisome that I'm experiencing so many issues with this program. Perhaps in a few days when it's officially released these issues will "go away" but for now I would like to hear if others are experiencing these or other similar issues so that we can report them to the dev team.

• It's never crashed on me, though a lot of people have been saying that.
  • All of them I make easily appear in my folders and on the website, no problem there for me.
    • That's the same for me, I can't see anyone elses stuff, only the 30 initial ones from maxis and my own.
    • drag-drop doesn't work for me either.
      • haven't tried this.
      • uploading to youtube has been perfectly smooth for me.
My Sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mason11987
On GS: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12609.0

Maxis and Spore - Bringing your imagination to life:

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 11:15:07 pm »
I'm using the trial, but the issue with loading downloaded creatures (they appear under 'everything' in the Sporepedia when imported, not 'My creatures') hasn't been a problem. And I've only had it crash out once, and it ties into the Youtube problem you mentioned as it was when uploading that it did. (Lost a cool creature too because I did the video before saving.)

However, all the rest I've had bad problems with. Disappearing creatures, failed uploads (before they disabled Sporepedia for the demo), Youtube issues, only seeing 30 Maxis creatures, it's all the same for me.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 11:18:12 pm »
Same here, this doesn't bode well. If the Creature Creator's like this then Spore may very well be...

>.>

<.<

Buggy and unplayable?
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

gec05

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 11:25:29 pm »
Try the solution I posted. you should be able to see them again. Just don't register or login. That will have to wait until next week when things should be fixed by then hopefully.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 11:28:32 pm »
I did something similar to what you did. I just moved my creature files elsewhere, started the game up, exited, and put the files back. Works fine now.

Offline Petreak

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Petreak's Graphics and Stuff!
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 11:31:14 pm »
I wish that would work for me, so freaking annoying!
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 11:44:05 pm »
Same here, this doesn't bode well. If the Creature Creator's like this then Spore may very well be...

>.>

<.<

Buggy and unplayable?

I honestly don't think it's anywhere near "buggy and unplayable" the bugs from the pre-release versions aren't really that surprising.  I imagine they'll have all the creature editor stuff fixed up way before the official release, I mean they have 80+ days to fix that stuff.
My Sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mason11987
On GS: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12609.0

Maxis and Spore - Bringing your imagination to life:

Offline Flak

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • The Spore Zoo and Creature Cave
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 11:55:11 pm »
I am having all of the same exact issues except for the crashing. My PC is about 2 1/2 years old. Dual xeons, lots of ram, XP, 8800 GT. The only hiccups come from minimizing and maximizing.

Offline Flogakid

• Breakout Battler
  • Kitten Huffing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 12:41:12 am »
Well, the reason no one is seeing more than 30 creaures and thier own would probly be due to the fact that the sporepedia doesn't go live untill the 17th, and that's where your creatures will be. As for the crashes and such, I've had no issues. I have a suspision that many of the issues will be fixed with the real release, mainly because the sporepedia will be up. Also keep in mind, the game requires a video card that has pixel shadeing built in. If your computer isn't up to specs, that could be causing the crashes.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 12:43:53 am by Flogakid »