Author Topic: Creature cheating...  (Read 6496 times)

Offline Megagun

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • And the moose comes in the night
    • View Profile
Creature cheating...
« on: June 14, 2008, 12:47:01 pm »
Okay, so look at the guy I made..
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=srch-spikelord%3Asast-500000049983

Looks normal, does it not?
Well, yes, it is normal, apart from the fact that if you remove the eyes, you'll see lots of "detail" parts *inside the eyes* which make the creature get a lvl 10 on all three options (attack, social and abilities).

Now, I'm ofcourse not really sure if creatures' prices are counted for when you play the game, and how things are exactly balanced, but it seems (to me) that allowing endless details and the bonuses they give to your creature is a tad lame, and allows for some pretty 10/10/10 creature creation, which could kind of spoil the game (instead of making a decision between attack, social or abilities, you'll max them all out)...

So, does anyone know how this will be handled in Retail Spore? I can't say I've been rather involved with spore lately, so this might have been mentioned earlier and I wouldn't have noticed, but the CC got me interested again.. ;)

Offline Petreak

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Petreak's Graphics and Stuff!
Re: Creature cheating...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 12:50:43 pm »
What exactly did you do to cheat?
I wish there was a way to turn off the Complexity meter. That thing makes no sense some times. I tried to make a creature with multiple limbs and it maxed out fast, yet I have seen some creature made by Maxis that was more complex looking than mine was.
I wonder if they some how cheated?
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 12:51:33 pm »
Maybe the 25% version has a lower complexity threshhold?
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline wydraz

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
    • Spore Monkey
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 12:57:32 pm »
He didn't exactly cheat. He just hid some features under the eyes. And even though they aren't visible externally, the bonuses still apply. So does the cost, so it doesn't really matter - it's still balanced.

Offline uj

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Let's roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 01:01:26 pm »
I think for the best experience you will have to use sporecasts. If you allow any random creature in many of them won't make sense.
My predictions for Spore.

1) No water creatures at initial release. I was right about this even when the fanboys were denying it.
2) No composite limbs at initial release. eg. Buttface; attaching a limb to a limb to... Update: Prediction was incorrect. Buttface is in!
3) Spore will outsell the Sims and be the best selling game of all time until something better comes along.

Offline Sporegonian

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 01:07:29 pm »
The game chooses content that will fit into a balanced ecosystem for your game, so stop worrying about creatures that'll be too powerful- those will be the rarest creatures.  Those little hoppy guys, on the other hand...

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ordus inferi - Age of Conan Guild
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 02:22:48 pm »
Okay, so look at the guy I made..
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=srch-spikelord%3Asast-500000049983

Looks normal, does it not?
Well, yes, it is normal, apart from the fact that if you remove the eyes, you'll see lots of "detail" parts *inside the eyes* which make the creature get a lvl 10 on all three options (attack, social and abilities).

Now, I'm ofcourse not really sure if creatures' prices are counted for when you play the game, and how things are exactly balanced, but it seems (to me) that allowing endless details and the bonuses they give to your creature is a tad lame, and allows for some pretty 10/10/10 creature creation, which could kind of spoil the game (instead of making a decision between attack, social or abilities, you'll max them all out)...

So, does anyone know how this will be handled in Retail Spore? I can't say I've been rather involved with spore lately, so this might have been mentioned earlier and I wouldn't have noticed, but the CC got me interested again.. ;)

You do realize that the game in the creature stage will populate your world with animals according to your creature level....right? This has been talked about countless times in interviews, that you will never be the top of the food chain, there will always be something bigger. However, they are only going to import creatures that create a "balanced" ecosystems. This means they are not going to throw a creature 30 levels high then you for fighting.

Offline Sterics

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Spore.es
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 02:02:46 am »
Maybe the 25% version has a lower complexity threshhold?

i have the full version of the CC and i have the same problem.

i cannot add new parts to this creature because of the complexity level:

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ast-500000022135%3Asast-500000022135

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 07:04:27 am »
indeed it is a problem.

Also why should I put 20 grass looking things on my creature to make it look like a bush when my stats are maxed out after 5 pieces at the cost of 25points each...bargain...

So designing your creature might not be about looks so much but stat hunting. If your max stat is reached with five small patches of grass but the creature is no where near stealth or sneak...it is dumb if you ask me.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 07:07:45 am »
Theyre gonna have to balance it more before release, more parts vs more apendages.

Offline macweirdo42

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 07:14:19 am »
I could see how that could be somewhat problematic.  I mean, sure, the ecosystem will be balanced according to your creature, but you could still have a situation where you see a creature, decide it looks like a weakling, attack it, and get your butt kicked because it had way higher stats than you were expecting.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 07:17:01 am »
thats kinda what im gonna do. Make a realy small creature, small as i can make it, and add on realy high dmg weapons. sorta like a wasp...  I also got bitten by a wasp today, it didnt hurt much.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 07:25:43 am »
beware of my sneaking bush predator.

It is stealth/sneak and bites REALLY hard. lol.

Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline macweirdo42

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 08:06:22 am »
Now that I think about it, that gives me an idea - make something like the rabbit in "Holy Grail."  Just have the tiniest, cutest looking creature imaginable, and then when some jerk tries to eat it, BAM, it rips your throat out.  At least until someone comes along with a holy hand grenade.

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 08:26:00 am »
Would the positioning have any impact on the weapon or item's effectiveness? I mean, having a horn might add to your charge statistic, but what if that horn is facing backwards? Or facing an opposite direction of other horns, making it physically impossible to charge with all of them at once.

I guess we'll have to see in the full game.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com