Author Topic: THUD!  (Read 13430 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: THUD!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2005, 02:55:04 pm »
Good omens was fantastic but it isnt a discworld book. I'd have to agree that the stand alones are probably the best, with the exception of the last continent, maskerade and hogfather, those were great. Moving pictures is probably my favorite though... or maybe the Truth. I dont get why going postal was in chapters though
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 08:01:47 pm »
Small Gods was a Diskworld book...

My friend actually thinks that Thud was ghost-written by another author with his name.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 02:59:20 am »
Good omens was fantastic but it isnt a discworld book

Small Gods was a Diskworld book...

ahem!

Offline Pando

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • panda? yes please
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 07:08:52 am »
Anyone got it yet?
What exactly is it about?

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2006, 08:42:23 am »
I just finished it and it is really good.  If you read Fifth Elephant, it feels like a sequel to that although it may just be the dwarves.  The book takes a silly joke that Pratchett developed books ago and turns it into a very serious look at racism and politics.  It's got a Jingo feel to it as well, in a strange way.  If this is actually to be the last scheduled Discworld book as Pratchett has said, he's ended it on a very good note.  Although I prefered Going Postal but that's neither here nor there. -leeman

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2006, 01:24:33 pm »
Hmmm, it doesnt really seem all that new. I've noticed that occasionally he does turn out a book which is basically a rehash of a previous one or ones (sic :P). I personally found Carpe Jugulum very similar to Lords and Ladies, and Going Postal quite like The Truth. 

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2006, 11:27:05 pm »
Pratchett's one shot heroes have a tendency to all look the same.  The main protagonists from Pyramids, Moving Pictures, Thief of Time, The Truth, Amazing Maurice and even Mort all share several aspects.  They're sort of befuddled at the start and dragged into some situation and at the end they triumph and give a speech.  Many times they dominate over some father figure.  The Going Postal main character was a real break from this, I felt and thus I really liked it.  Pratchett can repeat himself but I don't mind so much.  He still rocks my socks off.  Except for Equal Rites. That book is still painful for me to read. -leeman

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2006, 10:24:52 pm »
I got THUD! and Where's My Cow last Christmas. THUD! was really good. (THAT... IS... NOT... MY... COW!!!) Where's My Cow was funny. Once. Find it at a library if you're in need of a quick chuckle.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2006, 02:26:56 pm »
I didnt like THUD it seemed to be going back on Pratchetts proclaimed dislike of magic as not explaining anything. The whole book was full of things that didnt seem to gel with the rest of the series. Like when they find the perpetual motion machinme at the end of the book. (not a spoiler)

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2006, 08:54:46 am »
I'm going to disagree (again) because I think this is a very good tie-up of a lot of the issues dealing with Vimes throughout the Watch book.  He takes a quasi-funny gag of the Dwarves and Trolls hating each other and creates a real history out of it that has some really interesting implications about the world.  It felt like more of a sequel to Fifth Elephant than anything but I wouldn't say it's disconnected.  The jokes were still there.  The whole Nobby relationship was wonderful and very Pratchettesque.  Magic has always held a weird place in Pratchett's heart and when it can be used as such an annoying plot device, I find that he wields it with a whole lot of humour and finesse.  I'd like to hear more about why you disliked it though as I'm always up for discussing Pratchett. -leeman

Offline Rct2mad

• Ultima Lord
  • =)
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Galore (Link may not work)
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2006, 08:15:08 am »
I loved THUD!, but there again it was only the second Terry Pratchett book I have read ;)

I am currently wading through Pyramids, just after finishing Going Postal. I loved that book :)

Oh, and did anyone here like The WeeFreeMen?! To me, it just seemed unrelated to the other DiscWorld books. What do you think?

Offline IscariotJ

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 05:36:40 am »
If this is actually to be the last scheduled Discworld book as Pratchett has said, he's ended it on a very good note.

Really?  I know I can always turn to a Discworld novel when I'm need of a funny read.  Be a shame if there's to be no more.

A scan of Amazon turns up Wintersmith as his next novel, but it doesn't mention that it's Discworld :(

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2006, 09:15:33 am »
Last 'scheduled' discworld novel. That means he'll keep writing them but not at a constant rate of 2 a year like he has been doing. Apparently he writes them for fun so i dont see him stopping any time soon.

Offline thegreatloofa

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Back by unpopular demand
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 03:16:34 pm »
If this is actually to be the last scheduled Discworld book as Pratchett has said, he's ended it on a very good note.

Really?  I know I can always turn to a Discworld novel when I'm need of a funny read.  Be a shame if there's to be no more.

A scan of Amazon turns up Wintersmith as his next novel, but it doesn't mention that it's Discworld :(

Wintersmith is the the next Tiffany Aching book, also the next main Discworld book has been announced: Making Money
It'll be another Moist von Lipvig book (He first appeared in Going Postal for those who don't know). It was announced on Paul Kidby's website (http://www.paulkidby.com/news/jan2006.html), scroll down to the 6th. I think it's due in Octoberish time but don't quote me on that...

THUD! I thought was great, but the bits about the Dark in the city (I think thats vague enough not to be a spoiler) I found a bit out of place till the very last one...

Offline IscariotJ

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2006, 01:48:43 am »
Wintersmith is the the next Tiffany Aching book, also the next main Discworld book has been announced: Making Money
It'll be another Moist von Lipvig book (He first appeared in Going Postal for those who don't know). It was announced on Paul Kidby's website (http://www.paulkidby.com/news/jan2006.html), scroll down to the 6th. I think it's due in Octoberish time but don't quote me on that...

A new one?  Yay!