Author Topic: THUD!  (Read 13442 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
THUD!
« on: September 27, 2005, 03:21:08 pm »
Anyone got it yet?

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
Re: THUD!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 09:16:34 pm »
That's the first post in this forum in almost a month!

And it was I who last posted here.

I'm so proud of myself.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 12:23:48 am »
I'll take that as a no then ::)
come back in a few months

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 03:46:22 pm »
I'll more likely get 'Where's My Cow'  :)
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 01:41:43 am »
You kinda have to read them both ::)
or just Thud!

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 03:53:35 pm »
Ah... well then I'll get both. Why not  :D

Offline Wahh

• Defender Devotee
  • Dubbed Sigmund Wahh as well as El Cerebro Sucio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 07:43:35 pm »
Haha, Where's my Cow and THUD combined make a pretty funny mental picture!  :D

This guy's songs are freaking awesome! Just look at that earbean picture as my avatar!
www.songstowearpantsto.com

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 10:58:26 am »
I heard that Thud! was supposed to be really great. It's hard to keep up with all of his books, I have them all, but I just don't have the time to read them all. Every couple of years I pick them up, read a few, and then stop.

Any ideas as to which Discworld books are the "best" so that I can just read the better ones?
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 01:49:23 pm »
--->Night...Watch<---

I'm almost finished with Reaper Man too. Have you ever wondered what would happen if DEATH retired? (This is DEATH the Grim Reaper not the state of not being alive.)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 02:45:22 pm »
'Moving pictures' is brilliant
I would also say: Lords and Ladies, Maskerade, the last continent and Hogfather. It seems to me the books have entered a sort of 'third phase' they started as kind of generic fantasy, then they got really unique, I dont know where theyre going now but they seem to be getting much less lighthearted. Thud! is pretty good but... I dunno

LordFenix

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 02:06:02 am »
I have Thud! and i'll get Where's my cow when i see it, but to be honest there are so many great discworld books released so long before i started reading them i mostly rent them from the library... well now ive read them all so i can no longer indulge in that pleasure.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 03:50:01 am »
dont buy wheres my cow, its pointless.

LordFenix

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 03:59:52 am »
Aah point is not the point :P I shall get it if i see it anyway because i have no self restraint and too much money.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 12:49:30 pm »
All the Watch books are good. I also really like the "unique" books like Pyrimids, Moving Pictures, The Truth, and Going Postal. Those last two are probably my favorites. It helps if you read the books in the order they are published, especially the ones that take place in Ahnk-Morpork, because the city changes and concepts get carried from book to book. With the Watch books reading them in order let's you understand the background stories of all the characters as they join up. The Rincewind books need to be read in order too, but they don't really have an effect on the rest of the books. Same thing with DEATH and the Witches.

Isn't Where's My Cow the book Vimes reads his son? Do they have the Vime's Street Version in it too, that was hilarious.
"There is a man in the street he goes 'Millenium hand and shrimp!' is that my dad? No, that's not your dad, that's Foul Ole Ron"
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Noflunk

• Mystery House Madman
  • Why is his head soooo big?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 01:09:30 pm »
Id say Small Gods since its not part of any of his series or Good Omens (by both Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2005, 02:55:04 pm »
Good omens was fantastic but it isnt a discworld book. I'd have to agree that the stand alones are probably the best, with the exception of the last continent, maskerade and hogfather, those were great. Moving pictures is probably my favorite though... or maybe the Truth. I dont get why going postal was in chapters though

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 08:01:47 pm »
Small Gods was a Diskworld book...

My friend actually thinks that Thud was ghost-written by another author with his name.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 02:59:20 am »
Good omens was fantastic but it isnt a discworld book

Small Gods was a Diskworld book...

ahem!

Offline Pando

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • panda? yes please
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 07:08:52 am »
Anyone got it yet?
What exactly is it about?

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2006, 08:42:23 am »
I just finished it and it is really good.  If you read Fifth Elephant, it feels like a sequel to that although it may just be the dwarves.  The book takes a silly joke that Pratchett developed books ago and turns it into a very serious look at racism and politics.  It's got a Jingo feel to it as well, in a strange way.  If this is actually to be the last scheduled Discworld book as Pratchett has said, he's ended it on a very good note.  Although I prefered Going Postal but that's neither here nor there. -leeman

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2006, 01:24:33 pm »
Hmmm, it doesnt really seem all that new. I've noticed that occasionally he does turn out a book which is basically a rehash of a previous one or ones (sic :P). I personally found Carpe Jugulum very similar to Lords and Ladies, and Going Postal quite like The Truth. 

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2006, 11:27:05 pm »
Pratchett's one shot heroes have a tendency to all look the same.  The main protagonists from Pyramids, Moving Pictures, Thief of Time, The Truth, Amazing Maurice and even Mort all share several aspects.  They're sort of befuddled at the start and dragged into some situation and at the end they triumph and give a speech.  Many times they dominate over some father figure.  The Going Postal main character was a real break from this, I felt and thus I really liked it.  Pratchett can repeat himself but I don't mind so much.  He still rocks my socks off.  Except for Equal Rites. That book is still painful for me to read. -leeman

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2006, 10:24:52 pm »
I got THUD! and Where's My Cow last Christmas. THUD! was really good. (THAT... IS... NOT... MY... COW!!!) Where's My Cow was funny. Once. Find it at a library if you're in need of a quick chuckle.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2006, 02:26:56 pm »
I didnt like THUD it seemed to be going back on Pratchetts proclaimed dislike of magic as not explaining anything. The whole book was full of things that didnt seem to gel with the rest of the series. Like when they find the perpetual motion machinme at the end of the book. (not a spoiler)

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2006, 08:54:46 am »
I'm going to disagree (again) because I think this is a very good tie-up of a lot of the issues dealing with Vimes throughout the Watch book.  He takes a quasi-funny gag of the Dwarves and Trolls hating each other and creates a real history out of it that has some really interesting implications about the world.  It felt like more of a sequel to Fifth Elephant than anything but I wouldn't say it's disconnected.  The jokes were still there.  The whole Nobby relationship was wonderful and very Pratchettesque.  Magic has always held a weird place in Pratchett's heart and when it can be used as such an annoying plot device, I find that he wields it with a whole lot of humour and finesse.  I'd like to hear more about why you disliked it though as I'm always up for discussing Pratchett. -leeman

Offline Rct2mad

• Ultima Lord
  • =)
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Galore (Link may not work)
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2006, 08:15:08 am »
I loved THUD!, but there again it was only the second Terry Pratchett book I have read ;)

I am currently wading through Pyramids, just after finishing Going Postal. I loved that book :)

Oh, and did anyone here like The WeeFreeMen?! To me, it just seemed unrelated to the other DiscWorld books. What do you think?

Offline IscariotJ

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 05:36:40 am »
If this is actually to be the last scheduled Discworld book as Pratchett has said, he's ended it on a very good note.

Really?  I know I can always turn to a Discworld novel when I'm need of a funny read.  Be a shame if there's to be no more.

A scan of Amazon turns up Wintersmith as his next novel, but it doesn't mention that it's Discworld :(

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2006, 09:15:33 am »
Last 'scheduled' discworld novel. That means he'll keep writing them but not at a constant rate of 2 a year like he has been doing. Apparently he writes them for fun so i dont see him stopping any time soon.

Offline thegreatloofa

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Back by unpopular demand
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 03:16:34 pm »
If this is actually to be the last scheduled Discworld book as Pratchett has said, he's ended it on a very good note.

Really?  I know I can always turn to a Discworld novel when I'm need of a funny read.  Be a shame if there's to be no more.

A scan of Amazon turns up Wintersmith as his next novel, but it doesn't mention that it's Discworld :(

Wintersmith is the the next Tiffany Aching book, also the next main Discworld book has been announced: Making Money
It'll be another Moist von Lipvig book (He first appeared in Going Postal for those who don't know). It was announced on Paul Kidby's website (http://www.paulkidby.com/news/jan2006.html), scroll down to the 6th. I think it's due in Octoberish time but don't quote me on that...

THUD! I thought was great, but the bits about the Dark in the city (I think thats vague enough not to be a spoiler) I found a bit out of place till the very last one...

Offline IscariotJ

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2006, 01:48:43 am »
Wintersmith is the the next Tiffany Aching book, also the next main Discworld book has been announced: Making Money
It'll be another Moist von Lipvig book (He first appeared in Going Postal for those who don't know). It was announced on Paul Kidby's website (http://www.paulkidby.com/news/jan2006.html), scroll down to the 6th. I think it's due in Octoberish time but don't quote me on that...

A new one?  Yay!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2006, 03:49:01 pm »
So now hes going to run the mint as well? I find that a bit uninspired...it was just a convenient way to kill someone off at the end of Going Postal after all...

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2006, 11:00:54 am »
I loved Thud, i guess i like the more gritty, realistic ones... (Night Watch, Jingo...)

..And teh person who thinks Going Postal was ghost-written, didn't that have a kind of (Scary) Stephen King-style to it?
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2006, 11:53:20 am »
I've been reading them in order.  Color of Magic, and The Light Fantasic.  I'm currently reading Equal Rites, it's not as bad as people are making it out to be.  It's just not as good as the other pnes.  I've got about 50 more pages left.  I actually like Granny Weatherwax.

werechicken

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2006, 05:45:37 pm »
I loved Thud, i guess i like the more gritty, realistic ones... (Night Watch, Jingo...)

..And teh person who thinks Going Postal was ghost-written, didn't that have a kind of (Scary) Stephen King-style to it?

not really, it had the odd spooky moment s but maybe Pratchetts just trying something a little different

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2006, 08:43:04 am »

I meant that he uses the Style of stephen King, eg, putting words in brackets and italics like thought processes.Read a novel You'll (sense it) see what i mean.\

Going Postal wasn't paticularaly terrifying...
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2006, 01:35:18 am »
Has anyone here played the game THUD!, as in the actual board game? It's not bad.

<-- played it before he read the book THUD! (before the book was even released, if I remember rightly). I believe the game is first mentioned in Going Postal.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 11:38:59 am by Daxx »

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2006, 08:18:22 am »
Doesn't it talk about it in The Fith Elephant?

Maybe not.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2006, 11:31:48 am »
Doesn't it talk about it in The Fith Elephant?

Maybe not.

No. But in the fifth elephant Vimes meets Lady Margalotta, who plays Thud against Vetinary by clacks in Going Postal.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2006, 11:45:25 am »
They do more than play THUD!......
Doesn't it hint in Night Watch that Vetinari might be "Involved with" Margalotta?

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2006, 06:54:59 am »
Doesn't it hint in Night Watch that Vetinari might be "Involved with" Margalotta?

I can't see Vetinari getting involved with anyone, to be honest, unless your definition of "involved" includes dangling them head first into a scorpion pit.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2006, 11:25:22 am »

I can't see Vetinari getting involved with anyone, to be honest, unless your definition of "involved" includes dangling them head first into a scorpion pit.

Kinky.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2006, 02:49:23 am »

Kinky.

It was when he was touring Uberwald after graduating from the asaasin's guild. So he would have been a little younger.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2006, 09:27:07 am »
Regarding the THUD game, it's not good. We all know the dwarfs ambushed the trolls, and vice versa. I love that conflict in the books.
"This isn't Koom valley!"
"No, this time we can see you!
 :)

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2006, 01:35:22 am »
Has anyone read his spin off book, Where's my cow?
Yep, I'm not ashamed to admit I stood there in the store and quickly read through it, if I had any children, I'd probally buy it. lol. Funny Book.

werechicken

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2006, 07:03:58 am »
HOLY S*** it's actually a book!? I thought they where taking the piss

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2006, 04:34:57 am »
I was wondering whether to buy it when I saw it on Amazon. However, having no children of my own, I don't really see the point.