Author Topic: Asymmetry: Limbs, wings, and floating things! Now An Animated Guide!  (Read 32791 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: Asymmetry: Limbs, wings, and floating things! Now An Animated Guide!
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2008, 05:12:32 am »
I just made a nice creature using floating. I borrowed Hydromancerx's human model for it (with a bunch of modifications).
http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-maplekandalf%3Asast-500008404584

Thank you for giving me credit.

Offline kandalf

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2008, 06:53:16 am »
Your Welcome. ;)

Edit:
Also, I figured out how to make crossed limbs. Haven't figured out asymmetric across the body yet, dunno if it's possible.

1)Make an asymmetric limb, ctrl it onto the body and delete the waste segment.
2)Attach a different hand/foot to the limb. A second floating hand/foot should show up on the other side.
3)Now grab either of the hands/foots (the other limb should reappear), and pull it across to the other side of the creature. This should cause the joint connecting to the limb on one side to switch with the joint on the other side, crossing your limbs.

Note: You cannot modify your limb now except in the following ways
1)Ctrl adding more segments.
2)Modifying/removing/replacing the hands/feet

You will be able to save! (hopefully. Using a similiar technique I was able to get an asymmetric limb crossing the body, but I was unable to save :/)

Unfortunately it animates rather badly, but if you don't care about animations, or just want to play around, have fun!

Edit again:
I've been playing around with trying to get a second cross on a limb (so it cross over once, and then back again). I've been able to do so, using the ability to ctrl add extra segments. I Ctrl added an asymmetric limb from the very end of the asymmetric limb process, when you pull it off the waste segments. Then I did the above, changing the hand, and pulling it across the middle. Unfortunately, this does /not/ bring back the other side of the segment, so you are left with an arm crossing the body asymmetrically, and cannot save.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:53:59 am by kandalf »

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2008, 12:00:11 pm »
 I posted this elsewehere but I guess its far more relevant here. You can add weapons to single limbs and have them animate perfectly.

The spike hides a very small hand inside it, and well enough that the only way you would know its there is if you removed it to look under it. The game animates as if the spike was attached to the hand but it is actually floating there and the arm was positioned so that it looked like it was attached.. After doing the Limb division asymmetry, moving the arm opposite to the spike causes it to float, as you are all well aware. Well if you manipulate the arm with the spike so that the spike out in front of the creature and then use the opposite arm to cause it to float, then using that opposite arm, manipulate the arms back to the spike so that it looks as if spike is actually attached to the hand,  it will animate perfectly because as far as the game is concerned it never even left the arm behind it even if it was technically floating. You have to use the asymmetric hands on this, and make one of the hands very small and place it inside of the spike for the game to save but if you do it right that other hand will be all but invisible under the weapon/other object.

For reference

The method is usable with both arms in theory… but in reality it is impossible/ impractical. In this photo the game thinks both the sward and the shield are attached to the same arm and animates accordingly, with bad results. It IS possible to make it so each object is on a different arm but that makes any positioning next to impossible, as when you move one arm into position it screws the object floating on the other side up (it flies out of place and makes any real positioning impossible because each arm has a corresponding object)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:11:46 pm by Fledgeling »

Offline kandalf

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2008, 06:33:18 pm »
After a bunch more testing, there is in fact a way to have multiple crosses on the same limb.
1) Follow above guide for a single crossing limb segment on the arm.
2) To create the next crossing, create the next part of the limb you wish to have asymmetrically. Then ctrl it onto the right side. do the hand trick, pull the hand across, and then remove the hand.
3) The limb will not duplicate! You cannot yet save :/
4) Repeat the process with the exact same limb and place it on the other side (so you have identical extra bits on either side from the original crossing limb, but they are not actually both the same)
5) Yay! You can save now. Somehow this tricks the game into thinking the other half of the limb is there. Unfortunately, if you stick a hand on one side, it will float over the other limb, and not be connected. Continue for how to fix this!

1)Create two more identical (or not, at this point) asymmetric limbs, with the desired features, weapons, arms, feet.
2) Place one on either side.
3)Ta-da!

So the method a few posts up is always used for the first crossing (well, this could be used for the first if you wished, as far as I know), and then this method of creating both sides separately is required for any other crossings wanted, and for the final terminations of the limbs if more than one crossing is used.

Edit: Example

The arms cross once over the chest and a second time out in front, and there is a different hand on either side. They could be the same, if one wished, giving the appearance that it is not asymmetric.

If all this is too hard to follow I may post a visual guide sometime this week, because this builds on all the other techniques and is more complex.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 06:42:56 pm by kandalf »

Offline Slife

• Akalabeth Addict
  • A Duke of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2008, 12:09:54 am »
So, people who already have the game, is this replicable in the vehicle editor or clothing editor?
All is number -Pythagoras