Author Topic: Soul Calibur IV  (Read 5593 times)

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Soul Calibur IV
« on: June 12, 2008, 10:07:24 am »
Who's excited?  I know I am.  Sorry if this topic's already been made - I couldn't find it.

Can't wait, but am pissed off that they have decided to include Star Wars characters and stuff... cheapens it a bit in my opinion.  I saw one guy on a preview calling for Final Fantasy characters to be included!  Soul Calibur has its own history and characters, it doesn't need others in it.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Soul Calibur IV
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 11:40:33 am »
I'm not happy about the Star Wars characters being in the game. Even worse is that they put them on the box art which was stupid. They'll sell a billion units with Yoda and Darth Vader on the boxes though.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 01:31:25 pm »
I'm not happy about the Star Wars characters being in the game. Even worse is that they put them on the box art which was stupid. They'll sell a billion units with Yoda and Darth Vader on the boxes though.

Which was evidently the reason for putting them in.  They had better not be in the campaign though.  Can't believe they scrapped Rock for that little green ****.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 02:28:14 pm »
Im excited...
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 02:52:56 am »
Not overly excited about the game after how awful the third one was, so I'm definitely going to wait for a demo.  And again, I'm not particularly happy with the bonus characters, I don't mind Yoda and Vader being in the game, they work as bonus characters, like Link and Spawn did but now we also have Starkiller (and rumour has it, two more Jedi) about six anime characters, and only one new Soulcalibur character.

I'm also not very happy with the XBLA port of the original Soulcalibur, it seems they've completely removed mission mode, which was easily the best part of the game, and it's probably just so Namco can charge us $10 for each of the missions.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 03:35:52 am »
Not overly excited about the game after how awful the third one was, so I'm definitely going to wait for a demo.  And again, I'm not particularly happy with the bonus characters, I don't mind Yoda and Vader being in the game, they work as bonus characters, like Link and Spawn did but now we also have Starkiller (and rumour has it, two more Jedi) about six anime characters, and only one new Soulcalibur character.

I'm also not very happy with the XBLA port of the original Soulcalibur, it seems they've completely removed mission mode, which was easily the best part of the game, and it's probably just so Namco can charge us $10 for each of the missions.

I wasn't aware of that.  I'm going to have to wait for a review or something I think before buying it.  I loved Soul Blade and Soul Calibur I, didn't play the other two.  I'm considering waiting a bit to see the general consensus before buying IV though... it is 45 after all, not like buying a PC game.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 12:12:05 pm »
Only 45? The U.S. dollar really is weakening, isn't it?

Either way, I'm exited for this game. I only wonder where I'll get the money.

Online Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 04:38:43 pm »
I'm excited,I can't wait to play as Yoda.I am hoping they have inproved the make a fighter thingy and that they have caught and killed that "memory corrupting bug".

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 08:54:41 am »
I am definitely bringing back my characters from SC3. Awkward ninja for the win!

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 02:03:12 pm »
hell ya, to bad the premium edition gets more parts....you think they'll sell parts on the PSN?
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 03:52:41 pm »
hell ya, to bad the premium edition gets more parts....you think they'll sell parts on the PSN?

That's only for the US.
So I really hope so, knowing Namco they almost definitely will.

If they want to be really nice to us, they should be up in Europe for free download, at launch.   :P

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 08:18:46 pm »
Well.. its out..... anyone got it/how is it?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 02:07:20 pm »
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 02:38:26 pm »
Okay, so is it better than the third one?
That one just frustrated the everliving hell out of me. Difficulty spikes so fast...
I just wanna set it to easy and enjoy myself, unlocking all that crazy stuff.

But if not then whatever. I'm not even supposed to be playing fighting games.  :-X
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 01:21:47 pm »
Got it today and I'm a bit disappointed so far. Few game modes, AI is still horribly cheap, a lot of the guest characters are straight up clones of veteran fighters (Ashlotte has exactly the same moveset as Astaroth) and it looks they even got rid of the unique styles for custom characters from SC3. The skimpification of many of the female characters' outfits (and bust size upgrades) just smacks of Namco trading off the solid gameplay of the first two games for fan service, like Dead or Alive or something.

Pluses include the graphics and online play (obviously) and the ability to design custom costumes for non custom characters. I put some actual clothes on Amy and gave her an afro.

EDIT: Actually, it's almost worth it for the character creator alone.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 07:43:34 am by Bastardman »