Author Topic: Sporelebrity  (Read 9242 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: Sporelebrity
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 02:56:20 am »

Woah! You were behind that?

I used to visit that site all the time many years ago.

By the way, I just realized there's a Wiki entry on you! You really are a celebrity; write to Will and demand attention!

Yup, that's me.

I'm not going to write to Will. That would be crass.

But, damn, if I had been included... I would make creatures non-stop until the release date. I have 25 years worth of my own creature designs to work from, not to mention a working knowledge of the most obscure golden and silver age science fiction beings you could imagine. I would work harder than anyone to try to win that Sporlebrity contest, I assure you. Night and day, I would be generating creatures.

Cool! I guess that makes you already a "Sporelebirty" :D

Offline MTCason

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 12:54:18 pm »
Some more information on the Sporelebrities:

http://kotaku.com/5015380/stan-lee-ellijah-wood-carlos-santana-and-crecente-duke-it-out-with-spores-creature-creator

Seems the illustrious chosen include:

Stan Lee
Richard Branson
David Lynch
Ellijah Wood
Kevin Rose
Mark Cuban
Curt Schilling
Kent Nichols
Robert Scoble
Veronica Belmont
Carlos Santana
Bijou Phillips
Flight of the Conchords

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 12:55:39 pm »
Carlos Santana has to make a walking guitar creature. It's recently been passed as law.  ;D
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 01:04:40 pm »
This is great and all, but I'm really interested to in seeing the kind of creature Stevie Wonder would create though...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 01:08:57 pm by CosmicD »

Offline MTCason

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 01:09:59 pm »
I'm a little curious why they'd choose Bijou Phillips of all people.  What the hell has she done that's noteworthy?  And Elijah Wood I can undertstand from a LotR standpoint, but otherwise, he's a strictly B-list actor, too.

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 02:32:24 pm »
Not really sure who any of those people are, besides Stan Lee.... and let's face it, his latest stuff is just.... not good.... check out Pow! Entertainment if you don't know what I'm talking about...

Anyways, as for why they chose no-name actors/actresses, I'm guessing it was simply about who had contacts with whom and who would reply.

It's 'just a video game', after all... not a priority for most 'celebrities.'

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 02:45:24 pm »
I've seen Carlos Santana play live :P
@davidramnero

Offline MTCason

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 04:10:33 pm »
Another article at Kotaku about their experiences with the Creature Creator.  I should warn, there is some strong language in this one.  Probably not suitable for kids.

http://kotaku.com/5015984/spores-fruit-****er-or-why-i-love-the-creature-creator

Offline Jennifer Reitz

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
    • Jenniverse.com
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 04:15:37 pm »
I think they chose such celebrities because they are hoping to make Spore interesting to the mainstream, rather than just to those who already are gamers.

They surely must have seen some expansion of brand recognition and penetration from Robin Williams playing with Spore; for the average person movie and television celebrities confer legitimacy to products. There are far too many people who only begin to like something after a celebrity they follow approves of it.

It's all rather primate behavior - the apes need the Greyback to grunt approval before they will touch something.

I am sure that EA marketing is very interested in getting as many conventional (non-gaming, non-nerd) Grayback celebrities to 'approve' of Spore as they can, so that the game will gain greater market penetration and brand awareness overall.

We are irrelevant in this particular process, we are 'already in the bag' and do not need to be appealed to further.

Doubtless, they also want to capture non-gaming geeks (otaku, non-mainstream types) as well, thus the inclusion of Stan Lee... he is well known to the comic book crowd, not all of which overlaps with the gaming population.

The choice of Ellijah Wood may well be an appeal to non-gaming fantasy-focused women, in the hopes that if Ellijah 'approves' of Spore, and talks about it, that will give 'permission' for such women to try out their first computer or video game. The same can be said of many of the other names on that list.

Just think marketing in regarding this, and think of that marketing in terms of expanding the user base both wide and deep, hopefully into  a demographic that normally would not play games. I think that the EA marketers are hoping Spore will be a breakout hit, one that expands their mindshare overall.
Jennifer Diane Reitz

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 04:21:42 pm »
If they were going to get famous people they should have gotten some good sci-fi people like George Lucas or Steven Spielberg. Heck I think getting some people from the Jim Henson's Muppets to make creatures would be awesome since these are more or less virtual puppets you control in game.

Offline Jagon

• Battlezone Captain
  • Pochemu ludi pischut pa Ruskimu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 05:07:29 pm »
id personally love to see L. Ron Hubbard make some creatures

too bad hes dead

Offline MTCason

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 05:16:50 pm »

too bad hes dead

He'd probably make a Tom Cruise.

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 05:30:37 pm »

too bad hes dead

I am gonna leave this one alone so I do not offend...but I have to say I am not too interested in what he would make.

I know his bad ass space ship designs were pretty cool...   ::)

Offline Anony

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 07:51:56 pm »

too bad hes dead

He'd probably make a Tom Cruise.

Not to distract away from the thread's topic, but that's freaking hilarious.  You win tonight's internet.

Offline Ryuukuro

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 08:31:10 pm »
I guess I shouldn't have sold my HappyPuppy.com off years ago, huh? Damn. Double damn.

You're already a Sporelebrity.  I hope you make Unicorn Jelly--a college friend of mine is enamored with U.J.

Hydromancer, you're a Sporelebrity too.  How many Spore-Fiends don't know Naucean?

As for other, lesser, celebrities, I'd like to see what Shigeru Miyamoto would do with the Creature Creator.  I like Neil Gaiman too so he'd be a fun one.  <POLITICS> And maybe a politician or two.  We can have Obama and McCain's creatures battle it out </POLITICS>
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 08:33:59 pm by Ryuukuro »
"It's just a game!  Stop complaining!"  - Me

"Earth is the Kingdom of Who-Gives-a-****" - Will Wright