Author Topic: WALL-E  (Read 25016 times)

Offline SporeBuck

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Remember kids, it's only war crimes if you loose!
    • View Profile
Re: WALL-E
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2008, 08:20:24 am »
Wall-E, in his voyage through the Axiom, interacts with robots in much the same way as he did the humans, accidentally demonstrating that they can operate outside their intended functions and act independently.  As more machines become aware of this, they realise that the last seven hundred years have been spent wastefully, with nothing of true value being done.  Because Wall-E shows them what is possible, they want to do something of worth.

Auto, the navigator AI, is just fine with things continuing as they have.  His job is to steer and he's damn well going to do it until the mission is over.  Here's where we deviate a little from the film's plot.  Instead of a space cruise, the Axiom is a terraforming vessel designed to restore the Earth once it receives word that this is possible.  The problem is that they haven't heard from humanity in centuries, and Auto has decided that Eve isn't enough to override their secondary mission, which is searching for a suitable planet to replace Earth.  He'll only budge for words from his creators.

The other robots decide that after seven hundred years of scanning planets, they aren't going to find a suitable one and decide they want to go back to Earth to finish the mission.

From here it's basically the same movie, minus the humans.  They have a showdown with Auto, eventually overpowering him and heading home.

You'll note that the real movie, the story between Wall-E and Eve, doesn't change at all.

But the whole point of the Axiom was for the humans , that was put out as early as the first 15 minuets of the movie. I didn't think it was possible but I think I encountered a Dub Nazi with no dub.

Another point is that out of all the robots encountered on the axiom. THEY WERE ALL MENT TO SERVE HUMANS I don't even see how auto could be a bad guy with out humans. and then of corse theres teh fact that teh axiom as an ark is a crucial part of teh setting.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:34:30 am by SporeBuck »
Boobs in Star Trek FTW.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2008, 08:42:35 am »
You see that big paragraph in the middle?  The one that details how the Axiom could be repurposed to restoring the earth instead of a cruise liner, thus removing the necessity for humans in the film but making it clear that they were responsible?  The one that already addresses that?

That scene in the first fifteen minutes?  Just replace the cruise spiel with "The Axion, our automated terraforming vessel, will make everything perfect by the time you get back!"

Or the Axiom can still be a cruise ship.  The entire movie could have taken place in maintenance tunnels with only brief appearances by humans.

The point I'm making is that the story isn't about humanity.  Humanity is a plot device.  The story is about a couple of robots.  I like the movie as it is, I really do.  I can just see how humans might have detracted from that story by shifting the focus halfway through.

You know, I'm doing all the arguing here.  Present your case, why are humans a necessary part of this movie?
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2008, 08:51:53 am »
Wall-E was a great film.
(Would have been amazing if it had followed some of the ideas here)
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2008, 08:58:07 am »
Or the Axiom can still be a cruise ship.  The entire movie could have taken place in maintenance tunnels with only brief appearances by humans.

Or its a cruise ship populated with stunted skeletons in hoverchairs, with the robots playing out their role obliviously like the house in the Ray Bradbury short story.

Of course, that might be a little too dark  :P

Alternatively the ship could just be empty of humans for some unspecified reason, but still intended to be a cruise ship. The movie plays out the same way, with the part of the captain taken by a captaining robot (or a main computer or whatever) Auto still goes HAL on their asses and tries to sabotage their 'mission' (which is actually pointless, because there are no humans to complete the mission). Robots do cool stuff and act cute, lots of slapstick that doesn't involve fat jelly people, Auto is vanquished, Axiom lands, robots spill out and live happy malfunctioning robot lives on earth as it slowly rejuvenates around them.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2008, 03:25:36 pm »
I just watched this an hour ago. I really liked it. It even made me tear up at times. D:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 03:28:29 pm by Great Distance »

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2008, 09:15:48 pm »
We got this for some friends of ours for Christmas. Great movie.

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2008, 10:56:48 pm »
A bit heavy-handed at times, but it was a good movie. It's amazing how well the script was written and how it allowed for the audience to connect to the emotions of a series of machines. The expressions, whether the subtle noises from the robots themselves or their physical movements, were well conceived. I really felt sorry for that little sweeper guy, eventually too.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2009, 03:51:36 pm »
Sorry for the bump but....
I finally watched this today and it was a LOT better than I expected.  I expected it to be around the level of Cars or Ratatouille, but it was one of the best Pixar films.  It was better than the Toy Stories, Finding Nemo, A Bug's Life, DEFINITELY better than Ratatouille and Cars, and I expect it to be better than Up too.  I'm not sure whether or not if it was better than Monsters Inc, and it may have been better than the Incredibles, but I'm not sure.
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2009, 07:45:07 pm »
Pfff. Better than the Toy Stories? What film were you watching?  :P

Also, Ratatouille is in a much higher league than Cars
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2009, 07:46:26 pm »
From the trailer I wasn't thinking much from Ratatouille but I hear it is pretty good I still havent seen it though.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2009, 08:01:50 pm »
I finally watched this today and it was a LOT better than I expected.  I expected it to be around the level of Cars or Ratatouille, but it was one of the best Pixar films.  It was better than the Toy Stories, Finding Nemo, A Bug's Life, DEFINITELY better than Ratatouille and Cars, and I expect it to be better than Up too.  I'm not sure whether or not if it was better than Monsters Inc, and it may have been better than the Incredibles, but I'm not sure.

.... WHAT? Are you on crack dude? Finding Nemo is one of the instant classics of this decade. Not only that but its by far the best animated movie, ever.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2009, 08:14:50 pm »
I finally watched this today and it was a LOT better than I expected.  I expected it to be around the level of Cars or Ratatouille, but it was one of the best Pixar films.  It was better than the Toy Story(the second one shouldn't be used in comparisons), Finding Nemo, A Bug's Life, DEFINITELY better than Ratatouille and Cars, and I expect it to be better than Up too.  I'm not sure whether or not if it was better than Monsters Inc, and it may have been better than the Incredibles, but I'm not sure.

Are you serious? WALL-E was great, but not that great.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2009, 04:12:09 pm »
Also, the movie would have been less awesome without humans.  It would have been less awesome without ANYTHING.  If anything was changed, it would have been a worse movie.
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.