Author Topic: Any Way to Make the Original Myst Work on Vista?  (Read 27489 times)

Offline Oshaberi

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Logically.
    • View Profile
Any Way to Make the Original Myst Work on Vista?
« on: June 09, 2008, 01:55:23 pm »
I'm sure the answer is probably "no", but I want to ask just in case. =P Is there any way that the original version of Myst-- the one released for like, Windows 95-- to work on a newer computer? I saw they had a new version of Myst out that did, but I can't find it anywhere to buy, so this is my last chance. xD I really miss it.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
Re: Any Way to Make the Original Myst Work on Vista?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 02:05:29 pm »
Select "Emulate Windows 95".  I've had to "Emulate Windows 2000" at least once.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 02:13:16 pm »
Actually, that won't work I don't think, not on it's own anyway.  I was reacently trying to get it to work on my XP computer and it was a fairly complex process, involving me having to downgrade my quicktime player.  I can't remeber exactly what was done, but google around a bit.  I'm sure I saw soemthing saying how to get it running for vista.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 06:01:05 pm »
Well I've got Myst and it's one of my favorite games so let me reinstall it and I'll tell you what I find. I'll paste my results into this post.

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

**EDIT**
Hm, alright. I could only find my Myst: Masterpiece Edition disk but they are fairly similar. I could not make it work but I'll keep trying. My bet is that in order to run Myst you'd need to emulate the proper conditions. Simply flipping the compatibility mode doesn't do enough. Switching the color mode doesn't do much either, although I was able to get to the first screen. I couldn't actually see the screen though... did hear that familiar howling sound though.

Anyway, I'll get back to you when I learn more. If someone else has the answer though that'd be awesome, I'd like to know more about this as well.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 06:30:23 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 08:48:48 pm »
From this page.  Might be worth trying.
Myst I : The game runs, there are sound but you have only a black screen (on Windows XP either). You need to download and install Quick Time 6.5.2 (note : Quick Time 7 or Quick Time Alternative do not work)

Offline Oshaberi

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Logically.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 07:31:15 pm »
Yeah, I just tried to install it and run it regularly, I got the usual howling sound in the beginning but the colors are really messed up and I can't go any further that a horribly discolored title page without it screwing up.

PatMan: The Masterpiece Edition is the one they just rereleased, right? So that doesn't work either? o.o

Danzik: Yeah, I'll try that, thanks.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 07:38:17 pm »
The Masterpiece Edition has been out for a long time, even though it is newer it still pesters me for not having Windows 95. :P

My best guess at this point is that it is a graphical driver conflict (Dan's solution seems very logical) or it is an issue with the sound (But that is kind of blown since we both get the howling sound). You can try loading it with something like DOSBox or something but I can't offer you any assistance as to how to actually use the program. It's an onerous program and I didn't spend as much time with it as I should have.

Still, there's a way to run it on Vista without much toil, I'm sure of it; however the fact that I'm using a 64-bit OS does not make things easier.

**EDIT**
Okay, it looks like rolling QuickTime back does work. I've got the game running just fine now. You can find the proper version of QuickTime here. Be sure to set the compatibility mode to Windows 95. Enjoy the game!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 07:45:56 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Oshaberi

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Logically.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 07:37:17 am »
Okay, I'm downloading that version of QuickTime right now. After I'm finished playing the game and want the QuickTime I have now back, though, how do I revert it?

Also, this is probably a really stupid question, but how do I set compatibility mode? xD

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 07:40:23 am »
What you want to do to set compatibility mode is right click on the game's shortcut and click properties. In the properties window you'll see a compatibility tab. From there activate compatibility and select Windows 95 from the drop down menu.

Also (I ran into this problem too), when you install the older version it'll make things annoying when you are trying to watch a QuickTime video on your browser. Since it is an old version is disables Windows Aero and reverts back to Windows Basic and slows you down like crazy, plus some videos don't even work. In order to get the newer version back you'll just have to reinstall it. Thankfully there is no reboot requirement after the install so it's just a couple minutes of annoyance.

Hope that helps!

Offline Oshaberi

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Logically.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 02:20:04 pm »
Okay, I've set Myst to Windows 95 compatibility and downloaded/installed the QuickTime you linked, but I'm still having problems. I can still hear the wind fine, but the graphics are horrible (like 16-color, it sucks), and I'm stuck on the scene with the book laying on the ground, if I click on the book it freezes. x.x Any advice?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 08:00:21 pm »
In the compatibility menu there is an option to set the game to play in 256 color mode. I had it checked and the game ran just fine, it may work for you too.

Which version of Vista do you have?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 09:37:05 pm »
Oh Jesus Christ... my Google search on getting Myst's videos to work led me here. >:(

Also there is a solution, I've had it working before. I'll post it up here when I get it again. I think it had to do with the version of Quicktime you were using. Which I think is what I said.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 10:04:53 pm »
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 10:07:12 pm by Fink »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 10:20:26 pm »
I took my own advice and it worked.

I had bought the GOG version because I was tired of fighting with my old CD-ROM. Turns out the GOG version has video problems. But you can solve it by setting compatibility mode to Windows 95, having the latest version of QuickTime, and disabling Visual Themes on Vista and Windows 7.

Offline Kuhlade

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 07:56:32 am »
Had to post this even though this is an old thread. I am half way through playing Myst (10th ann. ed.) on my pc running Vista home premium with full administrator privlige. I uninstalled my version of QuickTime and then ran the game install which installs QT 6.3. I then installed the game into a created folder C:/games, not in the programs folder. To save games I 'exit' and choose 'save'. On restarting the game, I choose 'restore' from 'file' in the game menu and my saved game comes up to select. I cannot believe It has worked so well, been trying for over a year and finally fell on this solution and just wanted to share. Now on to Riven, another problematic game on Vista. Hope this helps someone.